PDA

View Full Version : Backup Solutions

clikchic
6th March 2010, 02:49 PM
Hi Guys

Dean suggested I post here since you are all such tech guru's. He he.

I got an external hard drive for my birthday which I want to use as a backup drive.

I am not concerned about backing up software installations or anything like that but do want to back up all my digital photos, digital graphic files, and documents and any software that I purchase as a download rather than hard copy.

I am looking at Nero BackItUp and Burn at the moment.

I want to back up all of those files both onto the external hard drive and my web server. (well photos at least - for the web server)

Does anyone know if the FTP function allows you to use your own server or do you have to use Nero's?

Does anyone have any experiences with Nero or recommendations for any other software that might be better. I want to be able to set it and forget because my memory is shot and I never remember to do backups.

Thanks for your help guys!

MegaWatty
6th March 2010, 04:00 PM
Try this little free beauty!

Allway Sync (http://www.allwaysync.com/)

EDIT: Not sure about FTP action though.

clikchic
6th March 2010, 05:15 PM
Playing with the Nero trial at the moment, does everything I need by the looks and easy to use.

markTHEblake
6th March 2010, 08:58 PM
Is the website hosted with Cpanel? the backup system with that is pretty good.

I use Comodo Backup for other things, it is free and seems as as good as any that you might pay for. One simple feature is that it can email you after the backup finishes, so you can always know if it actually is working or not.

virge666
7th March 2010, 10:11 AM
Acronis True Image

Way better option - it just grabs everything on your computer and backs it up. Very easy to use too.

Choppa
7th March 2010, 10:26 AM
Try this little free beauty!

Allway Sync (http://www.allwaysync.com/)

EDIT: Not sure about FTP action though.

One of the best pieces of free software going around IMO. Ditto about the ftp though.

Fishman Dan
7th March 2010, 10:39 AM
Personally I think Time Cap.... no wait.

live4golf
7th March 2010, 11:24 AM
The FTP option on Nero BackItUp and Burn allows you to configure your own FTP server. I could not get a differential backup working so gave it a miss, could only do full backups and didn't have the time to play with it....but to answer your question, yes you can set your own FTP server.

clikchic
7th March 2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys, I ended up buying Nero because it does everything I want automatically and is easy to use. I will be able to set it and forget it.

live4golf, you can do both differential and incremental backups in nero via the file backups as apposed to the full backup. I am using mostly file backups and syncing folders as there are only certain folders I want backed up for the time being as I have a new computer on order from Dell from my Dell winnings, so will do a full backup once I have set everything up fresh on the new computer.

markTHEblake
7th March 2010, 01:52 PM
Personally I think Time Cap.... no wait.

Time Capsule is great if you only need to use it for 18 months. :roll:

Rusty
9th March 2010, 12:33 AM
gee Robyn you're easy to please on birthdays

goughy
9th March 2010, 08:35 AM
She's a techno geek, what can I say! Makes it easy for me.