PDA

View Full Version : Is there a thread yet on how horrific the new site look is?

Scottt
6th March 2010, 08:38 AM
Yuck.

goughy
6th March 2010, 08:59 AM
Constructive criticism taken on board :-k

jaybam
6th March 2010, 09:01 AM
After the way it was for so long i am struggleing to get used to it. Like everything though i am sure it will become second nature soon enough.

Fishman Dan
6th March 2010, 09:03 AM
It's different, not broken.

PS - Where is everything?

Iain
6th March 2010, 09:04 AM
Does that mean you'll post less?! :lol:

Fishman Dan
6th March 2010, 09:09 AM
Does that mean you'll post less?! :lol:

Careful what you wish for! ;)

I found everything. I quite like the new look. Is there a copy of the old site somewhere, perhaps Scottttttt can post there.

Grunt
6th March 2010, 09:13 AM
I like it too, just a matter of getting used to the differences.

Dotty
6th March 2010, 09:20 AM
It was uncomfortable at first, but I'm getting use to it. (I am a technophobe, though.)

Same as going from driveway service to self-serve bowsers, or Kerry Packer's World Series Cricket.

Anyway, as my dad used to remind me 'Don't knock a gift horse in the mouth.'

Scottt
6th March 2010, 09:32 AM
The one upside I am seeing is that it doesn't scream "Scott is surfing the net" as loudly as the green skin did for when I post at work.

I am sure it will grow on me, the green scheme and its layout were like a brother to me...

AndyP
6th March 2010, 09:47 AM
The one upside I am seeing is that it doesn't scream "Scott is surfing the net" as loudly as the green skin did for when I post at work.

I am sure it will grow on me, the green scheme and its layout were like a brother to me...I don't think the colour of our templates has been adjusted yet. As clikchic said, this is the basic upgrade to minimise downtime. Now we will build on it with our own look and modifications to functionality.

razaar
6th March 2010, 10:18 AM
A 'Down" button would be a handy addition, instead of having to scroll down to the bottom of a page.

Moe Norman
6th March 2010, 10:29 AM
banners?!?!

mike
6th March 2010, 10:33 AM
It was uncomfortable at first, but I'm getting use to it. (I am a technophobe, though.)

+1

Iain
6th March 2010, 10:59 AM
banners?!?!

I'm sure they'll get around to them.

Can we get 8&7 back?

Moe Norman
6th March 2010, 01:58 PM
that was my main concern of course Iain

AndyP
6th March 2010, 02:29 PM
A 'Down" button would be a handy addition, instead of having to scroll down to the bottom of a page.Apparently some keyboards have a page down button. Crazy stuff! Why do you need to scroll to the bottom of a page without reading the posts above?

that was my main concern of course Iain
The 8&7 banner hasn't been around for a couple of years.

henno
6th March 2010, 02:33 PM
Why do you need to scroll to the bottom of a page without reading the posts above?

I always go straight to the end of threads I've already read. I find myself hitting "End" then "PageUp" all day, to get to the last post. Works perfectly.

AndyP
6th March 2010, 02:42 PM
I always go straight to the end of threads I've already read. I find myself hitting "End" then "PageUp" all day, to get to the last post. Works perfectly.
I don't know if you are joking with me or not, but I find the "Go to first new post" button for each thread more than useful.

henno
6th March 2010, 02:54 PM
I don't know if you are joking with me or not, but I find the "Go to first new post" button for each thread more than useful.

I wasn't joking. This button doesn't seem to exists on the "New Posts" page.

Grunt
6th March 2010, 03:00 PM
Henno, it is a little box just to the left of each thread in the new post list.

henno
6th March 2010, 03:01 PM
Oh, I see. The new icon threw me.

PeteyD
6th March 2010, 03:07 PM
Henno you wanker!

Webster
6th March 2010, 03:08 PM
is there an active threads button, like the old portal?

sms316
6th March 2010, 03:37 PM
Is there still an ignore button? Will the upgrade mean I can use it on Jarro?

AndyP
6th March 2010, 04:21 PM
I'm going to ignore most of these questions for now. I need to get used to this first, then work out what needs to be changed/added.

Jarro
6th March 2010, 04:28 PM
I like the look of it ... something different for a change 8)

I like the blog app too, now the WAnkers can go for it in their own little world :)

kobbsno10
6th March 2010, 05:04 PM
We should do a poll, get a percentage of how many people like it and how many people dont. I'm one of those who doesn't unfortunately :(

Jarro
6th March 2010, 05:06 PM
A poll wouldn't do it justice.

You have to state why you don't like the new look.

AndyP
6th March 2010, 05:06 PM
What purpose would the poll serve?

kobbsno10
6th March 2010, 05:10 PM
It's called feedback! You gotta give the people what they want!

Eag's
6th March 2010, 05:12 PM
Going by what I have read so far, most people seem to like the new layout.
I prefer this to the old one to be honest.

Jarro
6th March 2010, 05:13 PM
Why not wait until the upgrade is complete before we go giving our 5 cents worth

AndyP
6th March 2010, 05:14 PM
That's not useful feedback. Feedback would be telling us what's wrong with it, not an "I don't like it" statement.

Daves
6th March 2010, 05:15 PM
Looks pretty good to me. The only thing I have not been able to find so far is a Today's Posts button or drop down option?

Eag's
6th March 2010, 05:17 PM
I have never used the today's posts button, I just use the new posts button.

AndyP
6th March 2010, 05:19 PM
Looks pretty good to me. The only thing I have not been able to find so far is a Today's Posts button or drop down option?+1

I didn't use it much, but I've just been frustrated by looking for it a few moments ago.

kobbsno10
6th March 2010, 05:23 PM
That's not useful feedback. Feedback would be telling us what's wrong with it, not an "I don't like it" statement.

AndyP are you expecting every single member of ozgolf to like the new layout? It's hard to put my finger on why I dont like it, I guess I was so used to the last layout. It needs a bit more colour, it's a bit bright and sterile right now.

AndyP
6th March 2010, 05:26 PM
AndyP are you expecting every single member of ozgolf to like the new layout?No, I didn't say that. It hasn't won me over yet, but I'm prepared to give it time. It's not the first major upgrade that we have had, and I still miss things from our old phpBB forum, but you get over it.

It's hard to put my finger on why I dont like it, I guess I was so used to the last layout. It needs a bit more colour, it's a bit bright and sterile right now.
I don't think the colour of our templates has been adjusted yet. As clikchic said, this is the basic upgrade to minimise downtime. Now we will build on it with our own look and modifications to functionality.

Iain
6th March 2010, 05:35 PM
Give it time, I think it'll be better in the long run.

Especially once the orange and green come back!!! :p

kobbsno10
6th March 2010, 05:36 PM
Ah, it's not complete yet! Sweet! Maybe we can get suggestions from members on how to improve it. ;)

Jarro
6th March 2010, 05:40 PM

NO !!! No more orange ..... puhhlease :roll:

How about some purple and blue ??

Eag's
6th March 2010, 05:43 PM
+1 anything but orange.

jaybam
6th March 2010, 05:44 PM
i miss the "new posts" button at the bottom of the page :(

Grunt
6th March 2010, 05:46 PM
Another vote for no orange

AndyP
6th March 2010, 05:47 PM
Ah, it's not complete yet! Sweet! Maybe we can get suggestions from members on how to improve it. ;)Cool. Ignoring people is my specialty. :D

Orange forum it is.

Moe Norman
6th March 2010, 05:47 PM
PM's still working?

why no advertising?

sms316
6th March 2010, 06:04 PM

Why? NSW blue is a great addition.

Jarro
6th March 2010, 06:30 PM
Why? NSW blue is a great addition.

We're looking to step forwards Shorn, not backwards :roll:

The site should really be all maroon :mrgreen:

dan
6th March 2010, 06:53 PM
It needs some green :smt118

and a better masthead. :smt108

TheTrueReview
6th March 2010, 07:59 PM
Look fine to me. Looks a lot like the upgrade that occurred a few months back to the US forum - Shottalk.

goughy
6th March 2010, 08:00 PM
Everything is just the standard setup for the software - apart from doing the basic upgrade pretty much nothing has been done. Some of the things you'll be missing (new posts at bottom of page) were I think mods that AP installed, and we'll need to find again for this version.

markTHEblake
6th March 2010, 08:19 PM
Its rather ignorant to whinge about the look of the new version when its just a template that makes it look that way. Much more constructive to focus on the features - whatever they are, i havent noticed any real changes yet in the actual forum section yet.

seems quicker though.

sms316
6th March 2010, 08:23 PM
Much more constructive to focus on the features - whatever they are, i havent noticed any real changes yet in the actual forum section yet.
The blog is an interesting addition. Well it is interesting now that a good topic has been posted. :wink:

Jarro
6th March 2010, 08:44 PM
The blog is an interesting addition. Well it is interesting now that a good topic has been posted. :wink:

Thankyou :)

moree golfer
6th March 2010, 08:47 PM
Orange forum it is.
I like orange.

This is just like Rotorburn so I like it.

Tongueboy
6th March 2010, 08:59 PM
she'll do

AndyP
6th March 2010, 09:36 PM
Do we really need blogs? It gets used on a running forum I frequent, but I'm struggling to see the value here.

MegaWatty
6th March 2010, 11:45 PM
Do we really need blogs? It gets used on a running forum I frequent, but I'm struggling to see the value here.

I agree. It sucks! It's just like another forum!

adlo
6th March 2010, 11:50 PM
I don't think the blogs section has any merit.

I am not a huge fan of the new layout. It is too similar to every other forum. The OzGolf portal was different and easy to navigate, and had all the relevant information at hand.

Plus, most importantly, I had just helped Mike conquer the YouTube link thing.

Eag's
7th March 2010, 01:05 AM

Agreed can it.

3oneday
7th March 2010, 05:03 AM
Its rather ignorant to whinge about the look of the new version when its just a template that makes it look that way.

it's only ignorant if you knew that was the case ;)

Scottt
7th March 2010, 05:56 AM
Its rather ignorant to whinge about the look of the new version when its just a template that makes it look that way.

Sounds like the kind of defence ugly people who think they have great personalities rely on.

The site looks how it looks, and like Heidi Montag, I prefer it how it used to look.

BrisVegas
7th March 2010, 07:52 AM
I found the 'New Posts' button and the 1st tee area. It's all good.

My merit bar has gone. That needs to be reinstated so that the noobs can respect my authority. :cool:

Grunt
7th March 2010, 07:54 AM
Just noticed another kool feature of the new portal. We can have pics directly hosted here, no more imageshack or the like required.

CobraSS
7th March 2010, 10:04 AM

Could be good for use instead of the whats in ya bag subforum.

Daves
8th March 2010, 04:38 PM
Looks pretty good to me. The only thing I have not been able to find so far is a Today's Posts button or drop down option?

hereitis; http://www.ozgolf.net/search.php?do=getdaily

3oneday
8th March 2010, 04:45 PM
I'm having probs with the quote function, every now and then it just won't work and jumps to the top of the screen with no quoted info in it.

AndyP
8th March 2010, 05:03 PM
hereitis; http://www.ozgolf.net/search.php?do=getdailyNice find, Daves. I hadn't found it in my browsing, but didn't do any googling to find it either. How did you find it?

I believe I can add it to the top of the page like the What's New tab.

Daves
8th March 2010, 05:07 PM
Nice find, Daves. I hadn't found it in my browsing, but didn't do any googling to find it either. How did you find it?

I believe I can add it to the top of the page like the What's New tab.

It comes up on the default page if there are no new posts to view;

AndyP
8th March 2010, 05:09 PM
Ah yes, I had used that, but it's a pain to wait until all posts are read.

Dotty
8th March 2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks Daves. I've added it to favourites, and it functions like the old portal for me.

After 72 hours, things are more comfortable now. I'm getting use to the colour, esp. after a day in Lotus Notes, Word and Outlook (as opposed to usually seeing green-on-black mainframe emulators.)

Only niggle left is the 'sea of white' above the quote in a 'Reply with quote'.

Overall, a great job AndyP, Clikchic and Goughy.

AndyP
8th March 2010, 08:19 PM
Don't get too used to the current colour scheme.

And so far it has all been clikchic's work. I've been as lost as you have.

Moe Norman
8th March 2010, 08:20 PM
Just posted a link to and old thread somewhere, and it just keeps taking me back to the home page - other than that, no issues for me

AndyP
8th March 2010, 08:23 PM
Just posted a link to and old thread somewhere, and it just keeps taking me back to the home page - other than that, no issues for me
Just then or earlier today. We thought that clikchic had fixed that.

Could you please link me to the post or provide the link?

Moe Norman
8th March 2010, 08:28 PM
Just as in the person, Just.

Not sure where it was.

henno
8th March 2010, 08:37 PM
Just as in the person, Just.

Not sure where it was.

That issue was fixed this afternoon, I believe. If the post was after that, then be concerned. Otherwise it should be working.

Dennis
9th March 2010, 07:35 AM
Is Scott suggesting an ISG like walkout?

I assume the PM's still work : )

goughy
9th March 2010, 08:56 AM
We could disable them if you's want? ;)

shazza_rs
11th March 2010, 08:44 PM
Is there going to be a chatroom setup in this upgrade?

AndyP
11th March 2010, 08:53 PM
It's on my list, but it would also be an upgraded version. It is made by a different mob, and someone else makes something that integrates them together nicely.

Grunt
11th March 2010, 08:55 PM
Like it so far Andy & Robyn, Great work!!!

Johnny Canuck
11th March 2010, 11:05 PM
Is it in the plans to have a break in threads where it says "The following posts have not been updated since your last visit" like we used to have when you clicked on new posts?

AndyP
11th March 2010, 11:54 PM
That was part of the standard forum before, so if it's not there now, I guess not.

just
12th March 2010, 09:37 AM
Andy
Is there any chance of restoring the actual time stamps for posts, rather than 8 minutes ago, 9 hours ago, yesterday, that we now have.

AndyP
12th March 2010, 09:39 AM
Don't you like it?

henno
12th March 2010, 09:40 AM
OK, now we are getting ridiculous.

just
12th March 2010, 09:46 AM
Once again because I know some of you have comprehension difficulty - it's an opinion not an order - I prefer the time stamp to the time relative to now. Is there a problem with me expressing an opinion? Because the thing that is getting ridiculous is others jumping down someone's throat for expressing an opinion.

AndyP
12th March 2010, 09:49 AM
I prefer the time stamps too.

Dotty
12th March 2010, 09:50 AM
Don't quote me on this, but ...

I agree wholeheartedly with what you wrote Just.

henno
12th March 2010, 09:51 AM
It was of my opinion that we are getting ridiculous. Don't jump down my throat just for expressing an opinion.

Jarro
12th March 2010, 09:52 AM
Bring back the time stamps please

just
12th March 2010, 09:55 AM
It was of my opinion that we are getting ridiculous. Don't jump down my throat just for expressing an opinion.
Don't come the raw prawn with me, fair suck of the sav, I'm not a stubby short of six pack you know.

grandmasterb
12th March 2010, 09:57 AM
No complaints here, just take a little to get used to the new lay out.

Top work with the transition ;)

Daves
12th March 2010, 10:02 AM
When are we upgrading to Just v2.0? The old one seems very buggy!:lol:

AndyP
12th March 2010, 10:03 AM
This version of Just is an upgrade.

3oneday
12th March 2010, 10:13 AM
What changed this time ?

poidda
12th March 2010, 10:58 AM
Users are Losers! :roll:

just
12th March 2010, 11:10 AM
When are we upgrading to Just v2.0? The old one seems very buggy!:lol:

This version of Just is an upgrade.
I've gone from this:
http://nooneisreadingthis.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/marvin_the_robot.jpg
to this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/JackTChance/MarvinLifeMotivationPoster.jpg

Great success!

PeteyD
12th March 2010, 11:45 AM
Gald to be of service.

markTHEblake
12th March 2010, 11:16 PM
Because the thing that is getting ridiculous is others jumping down someone's throat for expressing an opinion.

Touche!

Yossarian
12th March 2010, 11:17 PM
I still love you just.

fatbastard
13th March 2010, 10:44 AM
Is there going to be a chatroom setup in this upgrade?

Back on topic...

The chat on facebook is very good as you can chat while you're looking over the site etc.

AndyP
13th March 2010, 12:53 PM
I also want to implement another facebook function, in abusing having access to your personal details to customise ads for you.

sms316
13th March 2010, 01:19 PM
I also want to implement another facebook function, in abusing having access to your personal details to customise ads for you.

5875sms316 likes this.

henno
13th March 2010, 10:47 PM
Back on topic...

The chat on facebook is very good as you can chat while you're looking over the site etc.

You can't have a group chat though, which is what it's supposed to be. (Or can you, I'm not a seasoned facebook chatter.)

shazza_rs
16th March 2010, 07:58 PM
Back on topic...

Yeah, but I'm not a member on there and don't want to be.

Courty
16th March 2010, 09:35 PM
Can we get Chatroulette integrated so we get a random OZgolfer everytime? Oh wait, there's no OZgolfer more random than Solarman... cancel that thought.

mike
17th March 2010, 10:55 PM
I'm used to it now. I don't even remember how it used to look.

Courty
17th March 2010, 11:05 PM
I'm used to it now. I don't even remember how it used to look.

Must be time for a change then. ;)

andylo
18th March 2010, 05:26 PM
This is what happen when you went a away for a little while. Suddenly the look is all changed and I have NFI about what is what/where.

I think I become the kind of guy who would just get comfortable with something and don't want it to change.

Anyway, reading from smaller screen/lower resolution is impossible! (From a netbook has resolution of 1024*600) The search of functionality is just a matter of get used to and the default style sheet need to be changed for good.

Threads with quotes took awful lots of verticle spaces and I am wearing out scroll wheel of my mouse.

I got plenty of time nowadays, if need help on CSS I am happy to help a bit.

terrys
18th March 2010, 05:45 PM
one thing I haven't worked out yet is when I used to look at New posts, it would also show older posts that I hadn't read as well. Sometimes I would come across something i had missed before. Is it still possible to do that?

AndyP
18th March 2010, 06:24 PM
one thing I haven't worked out yet is when I used to look at New posts, it would also show older posts that I hadn't read as well. Sometimes I would come across something i had missed before. Is it still possible to do that?
Doesn't this link do that?
http://www.ozgolf.net/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post

just
18th March 2010, 07:01 PM
Now, now Andy, you know it doesn't. The portal was excellent.

AndyP
18th March 2010, 07:04 PM
The portal was so sweet.

terrys
18th March 2010, 10:44 PM
Doesn't this link do that?
http://www.ozgolf.net/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post

no, just shows the posts since the last time I visited. The old software used to list those posts, then all the other posts that I hadn't read.

henno
18th March 2010, 10:50 PM
no, just shows the posts since the last time I visited. The old software used to list those posts, then all the other posts that I hadn't read.

I think all of the unread posts are just pooled together now. It is not separated by before and and since your last visit.

AndyP
18th March 2010, 11:04 PM
What henno said.

It's a list of unread posts, not posts since you last visited.

Johnny Canuck
18th March 2010, 11:13 PM
Hey Andy,

Why is it that when I am posting pics, they are all appearing super small, like thumbnail size? I'm using the insert image button and have tried larger images both from the net and my computer.

AndyP
18th March 2010, 11:30 PM
When did it last do that? The new image uploading had settings for small thumbnails, but I think I changed the settings to make it larger.

Johnny Canuck
18th March 2010, 11:33 PM
It happened in my last milestone post, probably a week ago?

AndyP
18th March 2010, 11:39 PM

This size isn't too bad, and it can be clicked on to make it larger.

Johnny Canuck
19th March 2010, 12:00 AM
If that's the default size, that's fine. Even Fraser should be able to see that.