PDA

View Full Version : Resolved Rules of Golf

Hawkers2008
5th March 2010, 10:17 PM
Have you thought about having a section for threads on rules of golf queries. Its pretty successful in/on the other place. There are a couple of overseas based rules guru's who post there amongst others places who I am sure would join in here.

AndyP
6th March 2010, 06:28 AM
There are a few threads around addressing rules, but probably not enough to justify a whole forum for it.

LarryLong
6th March 2010, 11:07 AM
Maybe if you broadened it to include threads about inventive ways of cheating?

:)

markTHEblake
6th March 2010, 11:26 AM
Dave already knows about the site, creating a new section isnt going to motivate him

Hawkers2008
6th March 2010, 04:57 PM
fair enough Andy, just a suggestion

AndyP
6th March 2010, 05:36 PM
Feel free to start rules threads, and if the demand is there, we'll make it happen.

Off-topic, but I'm excited about seeing the Hawks on Friday on the Gold Coast. They weren't up here last year, and won't be again this year.

PeteyD
6th March 2010, 05:52 PM
Will they play better than they did today?

henno
6th March 2010, 05:57 PM
Off-topic, but I'm excited about seeing the Hawks on Friday on the Gold Coast. They weren't up here last year, and won't be again this year.

Backing on an quick exit so early in the season? It is the Hawks, I suppose.

Hawkers2008
6th March 2010, 06:03 PM
I don't generally start rules threads in the other place but I do provide a reasonable number of answers. There are two outstanding experts one from the states and the other guy from Uk (I think) who are regular responders. The US guy does the odd bit of lecturing on behalf of the USGA

As for the hawks well I am hoping. I fear that we are a ruckman and a key defender short and with that in mind I can see us finishing somewhere between 3 and 6.

AndyP
6th March 2010, 06:18 PM
Will they play better than they did today?
We all take a lot of notice of the practice games. It defines how a team will go for the rest of the season. Just like the pre-season comp.

Backing on an quick exit so early in the season? It is the Hawks, I suppose.Sorry henno, you're going to have to explain it to me.

I can see us finishing somewhere between 3 and 6.Agreed.

sms316
6th March 2010, 07:27 PM
If you are looking for a rules thread here is a trivia question for you;

What is the highest margin of victory possible in match play scheduled for 18 holes? And what would make that margin possible?

razaar
6th March 2010, 07:31 PM
Who cares ...only have to win by one.

markTHEblake
6th March 2010, 07:31 PM
Sms316 - I will make a lucky guess, 13/9
i'll reserve giving the reason for later, give someone else a chance :-)

sms316
6th March 2010, 07:33 PM
18 up
No, but amusing.

Sms316 - I will make a lucky guess, 13/9
i'll reserve the reason for later, give someone else a chance :-)
Interesting...

Hawkers2008
6th March 2010, 07:33 PM
You could win 11 & 9 if you won the first nine holes and your opponent incurred a loss of two holes penalty for carrying too many clubs.

markTHEblake
6th March 2010, 07:35 PM
oops - bad math. i need to read the rule book again :-(

11/9 ?

sms316
6th March 2010, 07:37 PM
oops - bad math. i need to read the rule book again :-(

11/9 ?

That's more like it. You had me searching to work out how that could happen. :lol:

sms316
6th March 2010, 07:39 PM
You could win 11 & 9 if you won the first nine holes and your opponent incurred a loss of two holes penalty for carrying too many clubs.
Correct - if you discover the breach after the completion of the 9th hole.

Hawkers2008
6th March 2010, 07:42 PM
Actually its the same answer if you discover the brach at any time after the 1st but before the 10th. If you won every hole and discovered it somewhere between holes 2 - 8 you would be 10up dormie after 8.

sms316
6th March 2010, 07:45 PM
Actually its the same answer if you discover the brach at any time after the 1st but before the 10th. If you won every hole and discovered it somewhere between holes 2 - 8 you would be 10up dormie after 8.
Oops. :oops:

Not sure where I got that idea from.

markTHEblake
6th March 2010, 07:49 PM
this is a similar question to
golfer is 4 down after 2 holes, how?

I see there is two scenarios where a penalty applies to state of the match as opposed to loss of hole.

golfer is 9 up after 9 holes, he then sees that his opponent has 15 clubs. 2 hole penalty applied to state of match.
its possible also to be 13/9 if the golfer has 2 caddies, which is another 2 hole penalty. But that is a totally unrealistic scenario, given that once the match is won, no more penalties would be applied even if incurred (i imagine)

I expect it would be a bummer to be 2 down after two holes, and then find out you have 15 clubs, or in a stableford, and wipe the first two holes!

Hawkers2008
6th March 2010, 07:55 PM
Of course the match could end much faster if you had a bad tempered Alan Harrison make good on his threat to DQ you for arguing with him before the start of the match.

Hawkers2008
6th March 2010, 07:58 PM
this is a similar question to
golfer is 4 down after 2 holes, how?

I see there is two scenarios where a penalty applies to state of the match as opposed to loss of hole.

golfer is 9 up after 9 holes, he then sees that his opponent has 15 clubs. 2 hole penalty applied to state of match.
its possible also to be 13/9 if the golfer has 2 caddies, which is another 2 hole penalty. But that is a totally unrealistic scenario, given that once the match is won, no more penalties would be applied even if incurred (i imagine)

I expect it would be a bummer to be 2 down after two holes, and then find out you have 15 clubs, or in a stableford, and wipe the first two holes!

In this scenario the match could be over after 8 holes with a 12 & 10 victory.

MegaWatty
6th March 2010, 09:03 PM
Pretty good boys! Get the threads happening!

PeteyD
6th March 2010, 09:32 PM
We all take a lot of notice of the practice games. It defines how a team will go for the rest of the season. Just like the pre-season comp.

Sorry henno, you're going to have to explain it to me.

Agreed.

Hehe :D but they are impotent. Something like that.

I think Henno is refering to a possible final that the Gabbatior.