PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove a shaft entension?

oncewasagolfer
5th March 2010, 10:59 PM
probably a stupid question but I have just started doing club repair stuff. my sand iron and lob wedge are over standard length I took the grip off the lob wedge and want to be able to remove the shaft entension then put another grip on I bought a heat gun the other day so I tried that but it is stuck in pretty good. idea?

virge666
5th March 2010, 11:33 PM
probably a stupid question but I have just started doing club repair stuff. my sand iron and lob wedge are over standard length I took the grip off the lob wedge and want to be able to remove the shaft entension then put another grip on I bought a heat gun the other day so I tried that but it is stuck in pretty good. idea?

Heat it up more.

It will give - eventually

oncewasagolfer
5th March 2010, 11:42 PM
ok will do

grandmasterb
6th March 2010, 04:58 PM
Yup as virge said use more heat, i found that boiling the kettle and pouring that on it (as i've done when removing the head as well) works pretty well and sometimes there is no need for the heat gun at all ;)

oncewasagolfer
6th March 2010, 09:20 PM
will give the kettle a go tomorrow the heat gun seems to be damaging the extender

TourFit
6th March 2010, 09:56 PM
Get the shaft good and tight in a vice clamp. Get a good grip on the end of the extender with a pair of pliers and apply lots of heat all around the extender and shaft join. Epoxy gets stronger as it ages (well, some does), and twist as you pull...

oncewasagolfer
6th March 2010, 10:11 PM
yeah thats what I did last night just didn't do it for long enough I spose. not real keen on putting the shaft in the vice have ordered a shaft protector thing off the bay as I couldn't find anything around home just ended up wrapping an old glove around the shaft not the best.

TourFit
7th March 2010, 11:02 AM
If you're going to do some tinkering at home with clubmaking, get yourself a metal sided shaft clamp ASAP...it'll make the job MUCH easier from the start.

Have any questions or need some advice just PM me...only too happy to help!

grandmasterb
7th March 2010, 11:09 AM
If you're going to do some tinkering at home with clubmaking, get yourself a metal sided shaft clamp ASAP...it'll make the job MUCH easier from the start.

Where would one source a metal sided shaft clamp TF???

oncewasagolfer
7th March 2010, 11:44 AM

ok thanks tourfit:) I have ordered one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350324282374&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
will that do the job to protect the shaft in a vice?

TourFit
7th March 2010, 04:34 PM
Yeah...it'll do for a while. If you have a couple that'll be all you need!!

The metal sided one lasts a bit longer, that's all.

unclechopchop
7th March 2010, 08:16 PM
Do you have an electric heat gun? If so, throw it in the bin or use it as a hairdryer. Get a propane gun and get some flamage on to the shaft when the glue catches fire or is starting to smoke, if that doesn't get it out it I don't what will

oncewasagolfer
8th March 2010, 10:38 AM
yeah I might have to do that chop as I have had about 4 goes at it with the heat gun to no avail is getting a little frustrating:)

TourFit
8th March 2010, 11:37 AM
Do you have an electric heat gun? If so, throw it in the bin or use it as a hairdryer. Get a propane gun and get some flamage on to the shaft when the glue catches fire or is starting to smoke, if that doesn't get it out it I don't what will

Heat Gun is better...you can still get the glue to smoke with one of these.

grandmasterb
8th March 2010, 11:53 AM
Heat Gun is better...you can still get the glue to smoke with one of these.

And the risk of burning is limited.