PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Review - Aldila VS Proto "By You"

Chopper71
3rd March 2010, 11:27 PM
Anyone currently gaming a VS Proto in their driver? Picked up an 80S on ebay and Tomson is jamming it into my Ping i15 as we speak....is it ready yet Tomo? Looking for any words of wisdom on this shaft?

MegaWatty
3rd March 2010, 11:30 PM
I'm using a VS Proto 65 Made For in my 9015d. No real words of wisdom apart from LONG! About to try out TFs 3 wood that has on in it to see whether I use one in my 3 wood.

Scottt
3rd March 2010, 11:34 PM
I have a 65-S in my Sumo. Love it, boring flight, feels smooth.

They play quite soft to flex, I think.

Chopper71
3rd March 2010, 11:34 PM
I'm using a VS Proto 65 Made For in my 9015d. No real words of wisdom apart from LONG! About to try out TFs 3 wood that has on in it to see whether I use one in my 3 wood.
I like LONG! How about trajectory? Apparently they are low very torque, does this keep it down a bit?

Chopper71
3rd March 2010, 11:37 PM
I have a 65-S in my Sumo. Love it, boring flight, feels smooth.

They play quite soft to flex, I think.

Tomo, maybe a 0.5" tip trim is in order?

MegaWatty
3rd March 2010, 11:37 PM
Both Scottt's and mine are Made For's but Ive heard they are pretty close to the real deal. I think they are more active in the tip. Ball flight is solid and reasonably low spin.

How much did it cost you?

Yossarian
3rd March 2010, 11:39 PM
I always hit mine high, really high at times. I was playing it in a fairly high launching and high spinning head though. Which the shaft just accentuated, however in a different head who knows. Agreed they seem to play a little soft and are active in the tip.

Chopper71
3rd March 2010, 11:40 PM
Both Scottt's and mine are Made For's but Ive heard they are pretty close to the real deal. I think they are more active in the tip. Ball flight is solid and reasonably low spin.

A$105.00 landed from US. It was advertised as New Tour Issue 46" uncut

MegaWatty
3rd March 2010, 11:43 PM
For some reason, I like the active tip. Dunno what that actually means. Is it about liking to feel the head?

Yossarian
3rd March 2010, 11:46 PM
For some reason, I like the active tip. Dunno what that actually means. Is it about liking to feel the head?

:shock:

Um yes. If you mean what I think you mean. :smt047

MegaWatty
3rd March 2010, 11:47 PM
Fag. Stay away from my arse in the morning! And every other moment of the day actually!

Back to Choppers shaft.

Chopper71
3rd March 2010, 11:47 PM

Won't touch that one! But agree that it's all about feel. If by "active" you mean plenty feedback thru the shaft/hands, then i'm in. I'm by no means technical when it comes to the swing, but i do know what i like to feel thru the shaft and hands.

Yossarian
3rd March 2010, 11:48 PM
I'm a Fag.

Back to Choppers shaft.

:shock:

Scottt
3rd March 2010, 11:48 PM

Mine isn't a made for, I don't think.

MegaWatty
3rd March 2010, 11:49 PM
I didn't think the made a 65 normally. Could be wrong!

Chopper71
3rd March 2010, 11:53 PM
Mine isn't a made for, I don't think.

These are the real deal, any others are "made for"

Dotty
4th March 2010, 12:00 AM
I've got the ex-Yossarian 70R in an old Cobra head. Feels good and goes straight.

I've got no idea about spin, launch angles, etc. and whether it's the best fit for me. But it feels better than most OEM stuff, and that there is more to come, if I can get some more swingspeed.

Chopper71
4th March 2010, 12:03 AM
I've got the ex-Yossarian 70R in an old Cobra head. Feels good and goes straight.

I've got no idea about spin, launch angles, etc. and whether it's the best fit for me. But it feels better than most OEM stuff, and that there is more to come, if I can get some more swingspeed.
I agree...i have no idea about launch, spin rates etc. If it feels right, it must be right!

TourFit
4th March 2010, 12:06 AM
Any DVS or VS Proto shaft that has a weight designation ending in '5' is a Made For (although as MW says...it's not all that far from the original.)

From what I've been able to glean from the guys at Aldila over the years, it is more like those two shafts have slightly less of the carbon nano-tubes or Zyvex in them (to reduce costs). This results in those particular shafts playing a little softer in the tip and slightly higher torque rating (no bad thing).

It also makes it easier to keep tabs on the OEM shafts vs Original shafts...

Yossarian
4th March 2010, 12:07 AM
So if feeling the head feels right, just go for it!

Scottt
4th March 2010, 12:39 AM
Mine might be a 60, then.

Chopper71
4th March 2010, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Seems like the shaft is definately worth a try

gazgolf1
4th March 2010, 07:59 AM
I've had a 60-s in a Ping G10 since Jan 08 and it works for me. I need a little help getting it in the air so this shaft helps me where an NV would'nt. High launchers like Jarro would balloon this shaft a bit because of the soft tip. Very smooth shaft tho, I've also got it in my hybrids and 3 wood.

Batty
4th March 2010, 08:08 AM
I had a 60g in my exotics 9 deg.Always had super high ball flight, long carry but no run.Pulled it out and put in matrix ozik code 6,result is lower trajectory and tighter dispersion.

BrisVegas
4th March 2010, 08:37 AM
I've got the 80-S in my 3w,5w and 3 hybrid. I like the shaft. Fairly solid, not overly stiff and gives a nice kick. I had tried the 'made for' 65-S in some Titleist drivers and didn't like it. Just felt like a wet noodle. A 70-S might be alright though.

virge666
4th March 2010, 08:55 AM
Active Tip means soft flex tip section

MegaWatty
4th March 2010, 08:57 AM
Active Tip means soft flex tip section

Why would some people like this more Virge? Some of the other shafts I've played just get no action from my swing it feels.

Captain Nemo
4th March 2010, 09:03 AM
Anyone currently gaming a VS Proto in their driver? Picked up an 80S on ebay and Tomson is jamming it into my Ping i15 as we speak....is it ready yet Tomo? Looking for any words of wisdom on this shaft?

Yeh, have the 60s "real one" in my r7 425 TP.
Although i dont game this driver anymore, i'm considering pulling the shaft to try in something else as i felt it is a very good shaft, for me anyway!:smt038

virge666
4th March 2010, 09:05 AM
Why would some people like this more Virge? Some of the other shafts I've played just get no action from my swing it feels.

It is a softer shaft . . . people like to have the word "Stiff" on their shaft instead of Regular.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
4th March 2010, 09:10 AM
Ive got the VS Proto 80 Stiff on my driver. Its close to 15g heavier than the Diamana blueboard I was using previously, but Im pretty much used to the increased weight which I actually prefer now. The shaft is attached to a DComp 9.5* head, and it gives me a real nice boring ball flight with good roll (when i hit it correctly lol).

Ive also got the VS Proto 80 Fairway ("made-for" Titleist) shaft on my 3 wood and would like to get my hands on a 909H with a VS Proto shaft on it too.

BTW I dont notice a difference in performance/feel between the "made-for" and the real one but probably bcoz its hard for someone like me who is ignorant of that stuff to actually distinguish any differences. :oops:

Daves
4th March 2010, 09:18 AM
I have a 65S HL in a Cobra Baffler (DWS 3), and does it live up to the designation!. I hit a long approach shot over trees the other day that just made my team mates jaws drop. High, high high but long!.

dhills2
4th March 2010, 10:13 AM
I have a 65S HL in a Cobra Baffler (DWS 3), and does it live up to the designation!. I hit a long approach shot over trees the other day that just made my team mates jaws drop. High, high high but long!.

Damn that seems light... any idea what the swingweight is?

Daves
4th March 2010, 10:18 AM
Damn that seems light... any idea what the swingweight is?

D2 according to the Cobra site;

http://www.cobragolf.com.au/corporate/pressRelease.asp?id=22

IanO
4th March 2010, 12:10 PM
I had the Aldiva VS Proto 'by you' 65-R 350 in my Ping Rapture driver (matched with the Aldiva VS Proto 'by you' Fairway 85-R 350 in my Ping Rapture 5 wood). Because of my swing the Ping fitting guy recommended a stiffer shaft so I swapped it out for a Ping Stiff shaft.

I liked the feel of it but tended to get my hands in front of the clubhead at impact, so the stiffer shaft seems to suit me better.

TourFit
4th March 2010, 01:08 PM

The softer tip sections largely promote feel issues (ie: softer impact feel). It also gives a little more launch angle and spin.

However, it has nothing to do with 'stiffness' as most players perceive it. An S flex is still an S flex, but a softer tip design will usually feel, and OVERALL play, softer than a shaft with the same cpm flex with a firm tip. For example, the Diamana Red Board is the soft tip version and as such plays 'softer' at impact than the White Board (which is stiffer tip). An NVS will play 'softer' at impact than the NV (in the same weight and flex).

However, the softer tip shaft types are sometimes stiffer elsewhere in the shaft to compensate and maintain OVERALL stiffness (with different characteristics). Using Diamana again, the Blue Board has a stiffer tip than the Red Board, but the Red has a much stiffer centre section than the Blue, as well as a stiffer butt section...thus they will FEEL very different!!!

Think of the Falcon XR6 compared to the G6... same engine & same basic chassis but different feel due to using different dampeners, suspension settings, rims, tyres etc. SAME CAR, DIFFERENT FUNCTION FOR DIFFERENT BUYERS !!!

Ferrins
8th July 2013, 01:42 PM
I really like the VS Proto 60s, what is similar in the modern shafts? Would the Voodoo SVS6 be a good upgrade?

Daves
8th July 2013, 09:08 PM
I really like the VS Proto 60s, what is similar in the modern shafts? Would the Voodoo SVS6 be a good upgrade? Go to the Aldila website, there is fitting guide Page with a chart comparing shaft models

Daves
9th July 2013, 10:10 AM
Go to the Aldila website, there is fitting guide Page with a chart comparing shaft models

http://www.aldila.com/custom-fitting/fitting-guide/