PDA

View Full Version : Hosel plug stuck in driver head

henno
3rd March 2010, 08:04 PM
I have a Cobra S9.1 Pro D and upon hitting it today something's come loose from the rat glue and is rattling around the head. Upon pulling the shaft, it's pretty clear that "something" is the plastic hosel plug thinger.

So how to get it out.

First of all, it is difficult to get moving. It sticks pretty good to the rat glue unless struck well - on a table or a golf ball obviously. So I can't just turn the head upside-down, let it roll down and have a go at it with tweasers.

Secondly, pouring acetone into the head to melt the plug scares me. My feeble brain tells me that acetone and composite heads will not end up in a happy result.

Perci has added some more goop to the head to see if it'll hold better, but failing that should I try something drastic like filling the head with cotton wool?

The cobra does have a handy weight port to allow for easy access to the inside of the head while still shafted.

Ideas?

virge666
3rd March 2010, 08:10 PM
Cant get it out - impossible

You can

A) melt it
B) Glue it down
C) fill the head with acetone and dissolve it

Your choice.

henno
3rd March 2010, 08:12 PM
A) and C) concern me, what with it being a composite head.

B) is being attempted, but not sure how it'll hold. Kinda looking for a "Plan B", should it not work.

virge666
3rd March 2010, 08:13 PM
Yep - You in big trouble.

You need the golfworks headTAK goo.

jaybam
3rd March 2010, 08:21 PM
put a shaft back in it and take it back to supplier :)

Tomson
3rd March 2010, 08:25 PM
Henno I had the same problem in the old one. Use rat glue, so much easier.

henno
3rd March 2010, 08:31 PM
Will it be enough to hold it? I know rat glue can grab bits of loose epoxy and flakes of metal and stuff, but will it hold one of those plugs? They look rather bulky.

At this stage I'm going to assume yes, seeing as you said you "had" the same problem which suggests you no longer "have" the problem. :)

Tomson
3rd March 2010, 08:32 PM
It will hold it no worries at all. Have you got some?

Ned
3rd March 2010, 08:49 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thats not right.

I actually used "Golfworks" ratlle goo to lock that down.

I had already tried the "soak"it with Acetone etc.

I had the same thing with an XLS Cleveland, but got the rattle goo as a back up.

:smt013

TheNuclearOne
3rd March 2010, 08:51 PM
Here's an easy trick

Boil a pot of water and hold the head in it sole down till it's well and hot then thump it down firm once or twice on something. I use a bench top with a doubled up cloth. I've only done it shafted, and it's worked 3 out of 3.

The gluey substance most manufacturers put in the head in the head softens with the heat and when you bang it down the plug embeds. When it cools and hardens it should be stuck. I did this just saturday with a 2009 TP, actually put it straight under cold water after the bang down. No probs in 3 hits since.

Isn't it amazing how loud such a small piece of plastic is. Like a damn oversize BB pellet.

Not totally guaranteed but well worth the small effort.

razaar
3rd March 2010, 09:14 PM
Henno, as TNO says most drivers have some glue in the head that if melted will hold the offending material. Using a blow dryer to heat up the base of the driver to melt the glue and then banging it down a few times as John suggests is good advice. Using rattle glue may alter the head weight and change the sound of the driver.

daMANiack
3rd March 2010, 09:58 PM
Hi,

RatStop is horrible stuff, it's like silicon that never really sets.

As the guys said, place head in boiling hot water for a minute or two and bang it on a carpet.

If the rattle remains, there obviously wasn't any RatStop in the head.

Personally, I'd never use acetone or thinners in the head especially on composite heads as it can affect the epoxy.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

henno
3rd March 2010, 10:03 PM
There is already rat glue, as confirmed by the previous owner! 8)

Maybe not enough, if it came loose.

PeteyD
3rd March 2010, 10:17 PM
nah just heat to soften like they say. Will fix it.