PDA

View Full Version : Handicap Goals

Collis
1st March 2010, 07:26 PM
Hi guys,
just a question if many people set goals for themselves, to be at a certain handicap by a fixed date?
I have dropped 9 shots in just under 2 months, should i just keep hoping it will drop or does it help to have a goal to aim at?

MegaWatty
1st March 2010, 07:30 PM
Shit mate! How many comps have you won? There is a thread where we a lot of guys set goals at the beginning of the year. I think mine may have been single digits. My short term is to get to 10 (currently 10.6, so I on;y need one good round). Set the goals and adjust them accordingly. But be realistic.

Nice shootin'!

razaar
1st March 2010, 07:34 PM
36 to 27?

idgolfguy
1st March 2010, 07:36 PM
Collis, have you thought about writing a book on how you did it? Will surely be a golf best seller. I know that I would buy it!!!

Collis
Thanks Mega,
think i won 4 in a row the first was 14 under net lol, pitty i couldnt have done it a month earlier would have won the c grade champs pretty easy.
Started getting lessons with a pro down at Tassie, and went back to reg shafts and slowed down my swing. seems to be helping.
Where bouts is the thread?

idgolfguy
36 to 27?

Within reason of course.

Collis
1st March 2010, 07:38 PM
nah 27 to 18, shot my first 79 the other day and the par is 64 small course.
before christmas couldnt break 100, so i have improved alot more than my handicap - handicapper waas hard on me when i started.

Ferrins
1st March 2010, 07:44 PM
I have a firm belief that getting better denies me of the satisfaction of playing a multitude of tough recovery shots. Therefore I have a goal of not breaking my handicap until I reach 36.4.

henno
1st March 2010, 07:49 PM
After floundering around 19-20 for the good part of a year, I have dropped down to 14. My goal this year is to get to 12 (on the new handicap system), then on to single digits.

The new handicap system has me going out around one shot from my current handicap (13.9).

Collis
1st March 2010, 07:53 PM
when does the new system come in?
how does it work?

markTHEblake
1st March 2010, 07:56 PM
I have dropped 9 shots in just under 2 months, should i just keep hoping it will drop or does it help to have a goal to aim at?

When i first broke my handicap of 27, I dropped 10 shots in 6 weeks, and then another 12 shots in a bit under a year. How about you set that as a goal?

The secret was, play golf every day, and forget about about doing stupid things like homework. ( and look where that got me, same handicap and an average wage)

henno
1st March 2010, 07:57 PM
when does the new system come in?
how does it work?

Really?

There's about fifteen threads about it and how it was delayed etc, including a few spreadsheets and other business for working out your "new" handicap. Just do a search. There's a wealth of information there, and we'd just be repeating ourselves here.

Collis
1st March 2010, 07:58 PM
cool ill have a look,

sms316
1st March 2010, 07:59 PM
My main goal is to keep my handicap below henno. The rate he is coming down means it is a chance of failing.

markTHEblake
1st March 2010, 08:01 PM
There's a wealth of information there, and we'd just be repeating ourselves here.

thats a bit harsh Henno, you could have just given the guy a link.

New Handicap System (http://alturl.com/s8o6)

Collis
1st March 2010, 08:04 PM
Found it on the forums, helpful link though mark lol

grandmasterb
1st March 2010, 08:06 PM
Congrats on the form mate you must be stoked. Personally i have always set goals but nothing to extreme or unobtainable.

I've found that im striking the ball better now than i have been in a while yet i cant really remember the last time i practiced.

At the end of the day everyone is different and i say do what works best for you. Be it setting goals or just trying to achieve something everytime you play.

What course do you play???

Collis
1st March 2010, 08:09 PM
just the new town one, wont join anywhere else till i get my handicap down so i dont look like a idiot. where abouts are you playing at?

henno
1st March 2010, 08:11 PM
thats a bit harsh Henno, you could have just given the guy a link.

New Handicap System (http://alturl.com/s8o6)

I wasn't being harsh, Blakey. Just lazy.

mint
1st March 2010, 08:27 PM
i am at 8.6 at the moment - want to be off 5 by the end of the year

markTHEblake
1st March 2010, 09:00 PM
I wasn't being harsh, Blakey. Just lazy.

i know you werent, i was being ironic (did you click the link)

henno
1st March 2010, 09:05 PM
Clearly I didn't. But now I have. And it made me laugh.

grandmasterb
1st March 2010, 09:47 PM
just the new town one, wont join anywhere else till i get my handicap down so i dont look like a idiot. where abouts are you playing at?

Ah ok i haven't been out there in ages, whats the condition like???

Im a member of Kingston & Oatlands but travel around a fair bit to play.