PDA

View Full Version : Spine finder specs

grandmasterb
1st March 2010, 01:41 PM
Hey everyone,

i made a spine finder last week but have a feeling i've made the body too short and its not working correctly. Currently it doesn't spine the shaft to the same spot everytime :?

If someone has one and could throw the tape across it to let me know it would be much appreciated.

Cheers Ben

Captain Nemo
1st March 2010, 01:43 PM
http://www.clubmakerschoice.com/page1.html
I have this one, can give you the specs 2nite.

grandmasterb
1st March 2010, 02:00 PM
http://www.clubmakerschoice.com/page1.html
I have this one, can give you the specs 2nite.

That would be great mate, i built mine based off pics of that but think im a little off!!!

grandmasterb
2nd March 2010, 11:52 AM
Any luck with the measurement mate???

terrys
2nd March 2010, 11:59 AM
Hey everyone,

i made a spine finder last week but have a feeling i've made the body too short and its not working correctly. Currently it doesn't spine the shaft to the same spot everytime :?

If someone has one and could throw the tape across it to let me know it would be much appreciated.

Cheers Ben

do you think that may be becasue the bearings are getting caught up? The guy in the vieo said he made his "about the length of a men's grip". That didn't sound too scientific :-k

I made one but there was too much flex in the pipe under pressure so the bearing was getting caught up. I'm just going to buy one of those from the video

Daves
2nd March 2010, 12:11 PM
So you can't just use the same method as they do for finding the spine on a fishing rod blank?

jLRZQp3l6L8

grandmasterb
2nd March 2010, 01:32 PM
do you think that may be becasue the bearings are getting caught up? The guy in the vieo said he made his "about the length of a men's grip". That didn't sound too scientific :-k

I made one but there was too much flex in the pipe under pressure so the bearing was getting caught up. I'm just going to buy one of those from the video

Bearings are free spinning and i've based it off JB's spine tool but as i said in the original post i guessitamated the length and think that is the problem.

Captain Nemo
2nd March 2010, 02:23 PM
Sorry mate, will do tonight, was busy minding the kids!:oops:

TourFit
2nd March 2010, 05:39 PM
My spine finder is 200mm long...it doesn't really matter so much as long as the cylinder is strong enough to NOT deform when the shaft is under load (and cause the bearings to move). Perhaps spray some lubricant into the bearing itself (if it is exposed) to help movement.

The point is to load the shafts with three bearings...two mounted each end of the cylinder and one held free in your hand. Make sure the three bearings are the same !!!

Captain Nemo
2nd March 2010, 08:39 PM
Ok,
measurements are:
length of barrel 155mm
diam of barrel 44mm
bearing size 39mm hole is 18mm, 10mm wide!
bottom flange for vice 100x25x5mm

goonie
3rd March 2010, 09:55 AM
If the bearings aren't free spinning you can take the seals off and wash the grease out with something like turps to make them spin more freely, just spray them with WD40 or silcon spray and put the seals back on afterwards.

My spine toll has 2-3mm thick steel tubing so I don't have to worry about deforming, and the tube would be about 20cm long. I got very lucking because the bearings fitted perfectly in the tube only needing a slight tap to get them in.

grandmasterb
3rd March 2010, 05:17 PM
Ok,
measurements are:
length of barrel 155mm
diam of barrel 44mm
bearing size 39mm hole is 18mm, 10mm wide!
bottom flange for vice 100x25x5mm

Cheers mate

If the bearings aren't free spinning you can take the seals off and wash the grease out with something like turps to make them spin more freely, just spray them with WD40 or silcon spray and put the seals back on afterwards.

My spine toll has 2-3mm thick steel tubing so I don't have to worry about deforming, and the tube would be about 20cm long. I got very lucking because the bearings fitted perfectly in the tube only needing a slight tap to get them in.

Yeah i've made mine out of steel tubing as well and bearings are free spinning. Going to have another look at it later tonight to suss out whats going on :-k

goonie
4th March 2010, 12:18 AM
also some shafts don't have a spine.

grandmasterb
4th March 2010, 12:46 AM
also some shafts don't have a spine.

I found my problem.

I made another one to the above specs that were supplied by titleist and everything worked fine.

Tried the same shaft in first one i made and same problem but after closer inspection i realised that where i had tack welded the bearings in i missed one side of one which in turn actually cause the bearing to move ever to slightly in the tube when pressure was applied :roll:

All fixed now and i have not one but two spine finders :-k

goonie
4th March 2010, 10:10 PM
they are also very good for spinning the shaft when you are putting tape on for gripping.

timinsa
6th March 2010, 07:24 PM
If you guys are serious about this then I'd advise getting a clamp & laser & start checking for flo.

grandmasterb
6th March 2010, 07:55 PM
If you guys are serious about this then I'd advise getting a clamp & laser & start checking for flo.

Who's says that we aren't already ;)

timinsa
6th March 2010, 07:58 PM
Who's says that we aren't already ;)

LOL.
Is that the Royal "We" grandmaster?

grandmasterb
6th March 2010, 08:10 PM
LOL.
Is that the Royal "We" grandmaster?

No i got antibiotics to clear that up ;)

Tomson
7th March 2010, 11:18 AM

Whats the flo???

grandmasterb
7th March 2010, 11:25 AM
Whats the flo???

Flat Line Oscillation but im "assuming" that was sarcasm Tomson???

Tomson
7th March 2010, 11:26 AM
Hey I'm just a 21 marker that doesn't know much at all. Just a question... Just wanted to know how serious I have to be to be a clubfitter...

grandmasterb
7th March 2010, 11:32 AM
Hey I'm just a 21 marker that doesn't know much at all. Just a question... Just wanted to know how serious I have to be to be a clubfitter...

Correct me if im wrong but i thought you did most of the guys club alterations in your area already??? When it comes to all this im the biggest noob you will meet and probably best left to guys like vrige to explain cause i only just started to spine/flo my shafts a couple of days ago haha

Tomson
7th March 2010, 12:48 PM
I have been known to use alittle alridite to make up clubs from time to time... but I'm no guru.