PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Stay & Play Recommendations

AndyP
18th March 2005, 09:34 PM
Looking for recommendations on stay & play packages on the Gold Coast.

The missus got a bonus from her work that entitles her to a holiday, so we thought we would spend it on a long weekend on the Gold Coast with a golf round or two at premier golf courses.

We did look into flying somewhere like the Whitsundays or Tropical Qld, but it's a bit more trouble and would put us further away from Mitchell, who will be staying at the outlaws on the Sunshine Coast. Another advantage of the Gold Coast is that we will have the car with us, so we can get out and about.

Anyway, the front runners at the moment are the Radisson (Palm Meadows), which also offers rounds at several other courses, and Royal Pines.

Anyone got some tips on where to stay or where not to stay?

markTHEblake
18th March 2005, 09:54 PM
Give Royal Pines a miss - they are wankers.

Consider Coollangatta Tweed, they have some stay and play specials on their website, and for something different - Murwillambah.

In the back of any Oz golf mag there are a bunch as well, but OTOH i cant think of any others that have in house accomadation.

Fishman Dan
18th March 2005, 10:10 PM
MtB hit the nail on the head - traverse the border, stay somewhere swish around Byron or Ballina (Lennox Heads)? Talk to Drunken - he works at the swank new resort on the Suffolk Park side of Byron.

As for premier golf - is the missus a golfer? Any resort course on the coast is good - but Cairns is only a 2 hr flight from Brisbane and you could probably snag a cheap flight, and there are numerous good courses around there (Courty? Mike?) such as Paradise Palms, even my wife enjoyed the Novotel Palm Cove little 9-holer.

cazandpaul
19th March 2005, 07:47 AM
Pretty sure both The Glades and Sanctuary Cove/ Hope Island have accomodation/golf packages - check their websites.

AndyP
23rd March 2005, 04:49 PM
The missus has booked the package for 7-10 April.

We are staying in Club Rooms at Hotel Watermark (http://www.watermarkhotel.com.au/), 20th floor, for three nights with breakfast and evening drinks supplied, and lots of other goodies.

Dinner at Amalfi's (Hotel Restaurant), Jupiters with a show, and the revolving restaurant at the Crown.

Golf at Palm Meadows and Robina Woods.

Sweeeeeeeeet! =P~ Can't wait.

BrisVegas
24th March 2005, 07:55 AM
sounds like a good deal Andy. Have fun.

I was gonna give my vote for Radisson Palm Meadows. We stayed there last year and really enjoyed the room and hotel facilities. Sandra loved the health spa treatments. I played Lakelands, and they offered stay and play packages for a number of courses around the area. Bumped into Grady at the driving range too, which was kinda cool. Free shuttle bus to Jupiters and Pacific Fair too, i believe.

AndyP
24th March 2005, 09:02 AM
I was gonna give my vote for Radisson Palm Meadows.
It was definitely on the short list. But the final decision was with the missus, as it is her bonus. Can't believe we are playing two rounds of golf.

Anyone got some comments on these two courses?

Onewood
24th March 2005, 09:14 AM
AP Have a great weekend, sounds very relaxing 8)

Whats Mitchell's preference a brother or sister :wink: :D

I could come down and sleep on the couch and have a round with ya :D

markTHEblake
24th March 2005, 10:11 AM
Whats Mitchell's preference a brother or sister :wink: :D

I could come down and sleep on the couch and have a round with ya :D

i am sure Andy prefers his wife for that sort of thing.

Palm Meadows. dont be a gutless wonder and go for cowards corner on 18th - take on the lake. This hole is one of the classic par 5's in golf.

Robina.

2nd, 5th, 14th, 16th are not driver holes. hazards crossing the fairways reachable from even the back tees, and you cant really see them.

9th tee, any shot left of centre will roll into the hazard.

15th, Scary tee shot. not much difference if you hit a Driver or 3iron, you will still be almost same distance from the green.

18th Par 5; the hazard on the right about 130-150 from the green is a lot further away than it looks. take two clubs more if you want to carry that.

decent golf courses, but not worth what they are asking you to pay.

AndyP
24th March 2005, 10:15 AM
decent golf courses, but not worth what they are asking you to pay.
Ahhh, but the key is that I am not paying. :D

I've played Lakelands, Glades, Hope Is, so I wanted to play on a couple of courses that I hadn't played on before.

AndyP
24th March 2005, 10:33 AM
Both very good Marsh/Watson designs.
I think Robina credits both, but Palmy only credits Marsh??

AndyP
4th April 2005, 08:37 AM
Holiday has been postponed until the start of May, due to the missus having been sick for the last week. :(

I was just gearing myself up to play golf down there too.

Oh well, I'll just have to make do with playing Nambour for the first time in three months, this weekend.

shavey
10th April 2005, 10:01 PM
Next time anybody is interested, drop me an email and I will investigate for you. The Radisson are the biggest supporters of Lakelands and I have a great working relationship with them.

Might be able to save you a few bucks which can go towards donations for the water god on Lakelands' 14th hole :)

AndyP
3rd May 2005, 02:02 PM
Palm Meadows this Friday.
Robina Woods this Saturday.
:D

Both in carts fortunately, as I doubt the ankle could handle walking 36 holes.
I wonder how many times the missus will pick up on holes at Palm Meadows, with all that water there. She hasn't hit a golf ball in about two years.