PDA

View Full Version : Why get on a golf board/committee?

sms316
28th February 2010, 12:28 PM
Since Jack told me to start a new thread. :roll:

I'm curious as to the reasons why people stand on golf committees (club/DGA/state) and or boards?

mike
28th February 2010, 12:42 PM
To make a difference.

I was club captain for 2 years.

Never again.

Hawkers2008
28th February 2010, 12:51 PM
To dilute the influence of the inefectual half-wits currently doing the job.

Webster
28th February 2010, 12:57 PM
ego, boredom, to leave 'their mark', ego, to change the course to better suit their game, ego etc.

sms316
28th February 2010, 12:59 PM
ego, boredom, to leave 'their mark', ego, to change the course to better suit their game, ego etc.
Double ego?

There is a popular theory that every Club Captain is reponsible for a fairway bunker or a mound. Got to leave their shrine.

You reckon some do it for the reserved parking space and free drinks?

Andrew
28th February 2010, 01:28 PM
The Good Lord has bestowed a finite number of mistakes, blunders & stupid decisions that we will make in our life. If we get onto a committee, we can get a whole bunch of mistakes, blunders & stupid decisions out of the way, making the rest of our life more successful.

markTHEblake
28th February 2010, 01:30 PM
I am keen to have a crack, for one cos like most people, would like to make a difference.

But the main reason is that I have been playing for nearly 30 years and have benefited from many others who have worked their hearts out for the respective clubs, and i think I am overdue to give something back

sms316
28th February 2010, 01:30 PM
The Good Lord has bestowed a finite number of mistakes, blunders & stupid decisions that we will make in our life. If we get onto a committee, we can get a whole bunch of mistakes, blunders & stupid decisions out of the way, making the rest of our life more successful.
:lol:

So what makes the Newcastle Board experts on course design? What golf industry experience do they have?

3oneday
28th February 2010, 01:56 PM
I find it interesting the folk that sit back here throwing this sort of shit at people who volunteer their time ?

What difference did you make when you were on the committee Andrew ?

sms316
28th February 2010, 01:59 PM
Do you think each of these volunteers did so for the right reasons?

markTHEblake
28th February 2010, 02:05 PM
Do you think each of these volunteers did so for the right reasons?

I do, despite the trash talk that people do it for the glory, the power, and the car park, I have never known a committee man or board member to say anything but that they have rocks in their head for doing it.

Sydney Hacker
28th February 2010, 03:53 PM
Absolutely thankless job which I am in the process of getting out of.

Every cockknocker has an opinion on how something could be improved but all are unwilling to put their hands up and do it themselves.

Why did I orginally agree to go on the board ? We have a very bitter dispute currently going on at our club and knowing as well as liking people on both sides of the fence I hoped I could bridge the gap between the 2 groups a little.

Andrew
28th February 2010, 03:54 PM
What difference did you make when you were on the committee Andrew ?

Actually, quite a bit of difference. I was involved in getting the housing development company that was silting up the course to pay compensation which paid for a brand new irrigation system.

Grunt
28th February 2010, 04:08 PM
I got on the committee to try and make a difference that helped the members keep a good club running and make sure the poor decisions that had been made in the past would not reappear. I was removed off the committee for voicing these concerns. I also left the club as it had become known that i would also be a target for the then captain to find a reason to expel me.

ParMaster
28th February 2010, 04:11 PM
That is stupid grant. Join the commitee to help the club, and booted for trying to do so.. Um ok.

Minor_Threat
28th February 2010, 04:15 PM
So I dont have to walk as far to the pro-shop..

zacdullard
28th February 2010, 04:16 PM
A group of monkeys could do a better job than Gympie's commitee/management.

ParMaster
28th February 2010, 04:16 PM
How is Gympie atm? Going to close yet?

zacdullard
28th February 2010, 04:18 PM
As far as aware it is staying open, although I have not been there much lately.

razaar
28th February 2010, 07:28 PM
Some people have to be in control, it's their nature. While there are people like that in the club, I can relax and enjoy my golf with the knowledge that somebody is solving the problems and making the decisions.;) Learnt a long time ago that if I can't control it I don't worry about it and if I don't like it I vote with my feet. :wink:

Pegasus2357
28th February 2010, 08:05 PM
Why did I put my hand up 4 years ago, wish somebody could tell me as I am still trying to work out why.
Have seen our little club transformed in that time. Taken from the dark ages and into the 21st century kicking and screaming all the way.
Yep there are the know it all dipsticks who cant stand change, they try and tell me all the little concerns but they have now worked out that if it is positive criticism they will be listened too, dribble find somebody else.
Have had the joy, NOT, in that time of 2 dysfunctional boards, due to personal conflicts. Yet at the end of the day the club is moving in the right direction, slowly but surely.
A lot of being on the board comes back to how good your staff are. If you are having constant problems with them it makes it difficult to move forward.
being Club Captain, no way. I reckon that you should be issued with a target when elected so that everybody knows where to throw the knives. Saying that Club Captain with a good match committee can make a big difference. Club captain who ignores his match committee, good luck.

parlyboy
28th February 2010, 08:06 PM
Since Jack told me to start a new thread. :roll:

I'm curious as to the reasons why people stand on golf committees (club/DGA/state) and or boards?

Probably to have their say, if they feel they are educated enough to influence other committee members to make decisions.

Personally, I dont recieve a thing for it. Just a thanks will do.

I enjoy recieving comments/remarks about the course (good and bad) to make it more enjoyable for everyone.

But its not something Ill be doing for the rest of my life.

WBennett
28th February 2010, 08:18 PM
Parly

I respect you standing, especially as a newish member. Its something I've considered doing as its my way to be a 'doer/organiser'. With 2 tackers under 3 though, I just don't have the spare hours in my week. Give it a couple of years though and I hope to join and do my bit...

We're lucky at GLGC - thanks to the 250 pokies upstairs, cash flow isn't an issue. I'm glad the AFC GM has started ticking off projects. I don't agree with everything that has been done, but why nobody can please everyone all the time.

Daves
28th February 2010, 09:32 PM
Some people have to be in control, it's their nature. While there are people like that in the club, I can relax and enjoy my golf with the knowledge that somebody is solving the problems and making the decisions.;) Learnt a long time ago that if I can't control it I don't worry about it and if I don't like it I vote with my feet. :wink:

Lots of wisdom and experience there, ditto on the highlighted section.

I did two short stints in my youth on Golf Club boards, unfortunately both were because they were in financial strife. Even in that situation it was hard work with some of the old guard at times.

I did stints on a few other sports Boards and Committees when I was younger, usually as Treasurer, but also did the President (inaugural) thing (Basketball).

You get involved because you mostly want to put something back, at least that is my belief. As an itinerant bank johnnie you tended to be expected to get involved in these type of community roles (both by the community and your employer).

parlyboy
28th February 2010, 10:49 PM
Parly

I respect you standing, especially as a newish member. Its something I've considered doing as its my way to be a 'doer/organiser'. With 2 tackers under 3 though, I just don't have the spare hours in my week. Give it a couple of years though and I hope to join and do my bit...

We're lucky at GLGC - thanks to the 250 pokies upstairs, cash flow isn't an issue. I'm glad the AFC GM has started ticking off projects. I don't agree with everything that has been done, but why nobody can please everyone all the time.

I agree. Having kids/full time job makes it tough to get to meetings and finding time to type up reports.
I spend more time at the club doing committee related things than actually playing golf. Very unhealthy....or very stoopid.

sms316
4th March 2011, 07:40 PM
So.... who the hell voted NK into the FNQ Golf Presidency?

Mike?

AndyP
4th March 2011, 07:53 PM
Surely all of the NQ OZgolfers voted for one of their own.

haysey
4th March 2011, 08:26 PM
I voted for Courty.....He got one vote.

AlexMc
4th March 2011, 09:14 PM
Probably to have their say, if they feel they are educated enough to influence other committee members to make decisions.
Part of the problem is that many board members aren't educated enough, or have enough business experience to make decisions. It is the only type of business where uneducated people get to have a popularity contest to appoint other potentially uneducated people to run a going concern business.

That's why I wont go on a golf club board again. People make moronic suggestions, people vote in blocks and stupid decisions get made. That's how Dubbo Golf Club turned their main bar area with amazing views of the course in to a function centre which is lucky to be used a few hours a week, got a smaller bar area in return and a million bucks in debt.

(I wasn't a member of the Dubbo board incidentally. Have been asked to though...)

BrisVegas
4th March 2011, 09:53 PM
I did it for the free food and drink during the meetings. Sadly, my two year stint is over.

Daves
4th March 2011, 10:25 PM
Part of the problem is that many board members aren't educated enough, or have enough business experience to make decisions. It is the only type of business where uneducated people get to have a popularity contest to appoint other potentially uneducated people to run a going concern business.

That's why I wont go on a golf club board again. People make moronic suggestions, people vote in blocks and stupid decisions get made. That's how Dubbo Golf Club turned their main bar area with amazing views of the course in to a function centre which is lucky to be used a few hours a week, got a smaller bar area in return and a million bucks in debt.

(I wasn't a member of the Dubbo board incidentally. Have been asked to though...)

I was many years ago (see my earlier post) . Sounds like some things never change!

Courty
4th March 2011, 10:25 PM

You must have nominated for me as well, because I sure as hell didn't. :shock:

Ned
4th March 2011, 10:44 PM
You must have nominated for me as well, because I sure as hell didn't. :shock:

Gerrymandered Donkey vote ?

Daves
4th March 2011, 10:46 PM

Mike?

so does that mean that Ned is officially a wanker now??!;)

Veefore
4th March 2011, 10:50 PM
I was asked to be on the match committee at my club because there were no morning players on the committee and I had been known to help out occasionally when something needed to be done. I also have the time to give to the club that most people don't.
The match committee at my club is made up of one addict who lives at the club and it is his whole life, two who are in it for the parking spot, one crusader who wants to fix all the things he sees as wrong with the club, one "importance" seeker who just wants to be important. The others are just long term members who have received a lot and feel a responsibility to give back.

Johnny Canuck
4th March 2011, 11:05 PM
I really want to know who's who out of those descriptions....

Nuffie
5th March 2011, 01:57 AM
I guess people want to be in golf club committees for a number of reasons. Maybe people that have a successful golfing history in a club feel a sense of pride if they eventually become a committee member, giving something back after their better golfing years have passed them by. It also keeps them busy and gives them a social avenue and something to do when they start playing less golf. I could relate to this as I'll probably end up golfing so much that my body will someday force me to stop. With all the friends you make and good times you have in a club, even if I couldn't play no more it would still be a good way to be involved in the club. Also later in life when one works less, being in a committee is a good way to keep the mind active, contribute to a good cause, keep up those vital people skills and maintain good golfing contacts and social networks. I guess it's important to contribute some ideas, but not voice the opinion too much. It would be a balancing act and a challenging role in many respects. If any committee members can keep support from 90% of club members, I think they'll be doing an exceptional job.

Johnny Canuck
5th March 2011, 02:14 AM
Broke the enter key again, Nuffie?

AndyP
5th March 2011, 07:10 AM
Should NK be proud or embarrassed that he has been voted in by the same people that vote for Bob Katter?

razaar
5th March 2011, 10:57 AM
Should NK be proud or embarrassed that he has been voted in by the same people that vote for Bob Katter?
Post of the year...right here.:lol:

Ned
5th March 2011, 11:36 AM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............................... .........obvioulsy geography wasn't a strong point of you schooling AP!

AndyP
5th March 2011, 12:01 PM
I'm sure the joke would have been just as funny if I listed the member for Leichhardt, who noone would have heard of, not that Mareeba isn't in the Kennedy electorate.
As far as I'm concerned, you're all the same up that way.

If you are going to criticise schooling, you should probably check, then double check your post before posting.

Courty
5th March 2011, 12:02 PM

Oi! I resemble that remark!

mike
5th March 2011, 02:20 PM
AndyP. That last sentence. Serioulsy funny.

haysey
5th March 2011, 04:11 PM
Who is the member for leichardt anyway?

Moe Norman
5th March 2011, 04:15 PM
Obviously the office staff were rude when your parents were checking out the decent geography school in your area AP

AndyP
5th March 2011, 04:24 PM
Obviously the office staff were rude when your parents were checking out the decent geography school in your area AP
Actually, the school gardener was unshaven the day they visited, so they enrolled me elsewhere.

Ned
5th March 2011, 04:52 PM
I'm sure the joke would have been just as funny if I listed the member for Leichhardt, who noone would have heard of, not that Mareeba isn't in the Kennedy electorate.

If you are going to criticise schooling, you should probably check, then double check your post before posting.

AP the FNQ Region covers golf clubs from Cardwell in the south to Carpentaria (Weipa) in the north and Georgetown to the west. (20 Clubs in total):mrgreen:

So they are over several State and Federal Electorates. (Its not just Katter or Entsch country - god help us):roll:

As for you thinking I was criticising your education, my humble apologies, I believe I was making the point that the subject stated was not one of your better ones, I wasn’t criticising.

Thanks for picking up the grammatical error, hennwah I am sure would appreciate someone doing the Spelling Nazi thing for him.:wink:

Veefore
5th March 2011, 05:27 PM
I really want to know who's who out of those descriptions....

Remind me next time you see me and I'll tell you. I don't think there is any great secret.

One of them is obvious. Our mutual friend spends more time at the club than anyone else except possible the Pro. He has probably played more golf this week than I have this year. You said in a post recently that you have probably played KB 700 times. He has probably played Hartfield that many times in the last 2 1/2 years.

JC has been a member for a long time and has always spent a lot of time at the club. When he wasn't playing he was always doing something for the club. He has also been a delegate and junior coordinator for the WAGA when his son was a junior among many other things. There are probably a dozen members, some on committee, some not, who are always doing things around the club.

mike
5th March 2011, 05:52 PM

Actually, the school gardener was unshaven the day they visited, so they enrolled me elsewhere.:lol: :lol::lol:

AndyP
5th March 2011, 05:55 PM
NK, you should learn how to read a joke, instead of analysing the **** out of it.

Ned
5th March 2011, 05:56 PM
NK, you should learn how to read a joke, instead of analysing the **** out of it.

:)

mike
6th March 2011, 06:42 PM

Mike?
Haha.

I just had a look at the new executive committee. I don't think I'll be selected for any events this year.

chappy1970
9th March 2011, 03:41 PM
Boards are necessary to carry out whatever they do (most likely what everyone else has no interest in doing or time to do.)

My question is, the members vote these people in, they get in power and set about trying to leave their mark, make difference, etc.........

Is it just tough sh!t if the decisions lead to significant dissatisfaction amongst the member base. No one has a solid understanding of the plans of the incoming committee until they are being executed do they?

rubin
9th March 2011, 03:46 PM
Boards are necessary to carry out whatever they do (most likely what everyone else has no interest in doing or time to do.)

My question is, the members vote these people in, they get in power and set about trying to leave their mark, make difference, etc.........

Is it just tough sh!t if the decisions lead to significant dissatisfaction amongst the member base. No one has a solid understanding of the plans of the incoming committee until they are being executed do they?

maybe that could be the problem in many of the committees. There's no transparency or communication.

Obviously its too hard to tell everyone everything thats going on, but a quick notice i.e this is what were planning with the club house/ front 9/ carpark or whatever. People will still whinge and whine, but at least it wil be factual and the general member population won't be kept in the dark.

chappy1970
9th March 2011, 04:09 PM
The unfortunate thing is that this can lead to any number of members leaving the club, and let's face it most clubs (I reiterate most) a struggling like buggery to hold onto teh ones they have.

Minor_Threat
9th March 2011, 04:10 PM

Is it just tough sh!t if the decisions lead to significant dissatisfaction amongst the member base. No one has a solid understanding of the plans of the incoming committee until they are being executed do they?Our club recently made an amendment to the constitution (whatever it is called) to ensure that any major changes must be approved my the members first.

chappy1970
9th March 2011, 04:16 PM
That is a great initiative MT.

Is there a fine line between the intentions of the board vs the perceived benefit to the members. Do some of these boards have unrealistic plans for the club often to the detriment of the club overall.

PeteyD
9th March 2011, 04:17 PM
It can backfire though, in that changes can get mired into inactivity because getting the required votes can be impossible. Look at what has happened with Horton Park.

razaar
9th March 2011, 06:51 PM
The main issue with golf committees is that the people who stand for Committee are more than likely popular members who are out of their depth in a Committee environment and are lacking in the skills they need to do the job. The Committees that seem to do well are those with a small Committee that draws expertise from the membership to make up the various sub-committees.

peckors
14th March 2011, 10:47 AM
Golf Committee members are retired wannabes .

moree golfer
14th March 2011, 10:56 AM
Care to elaborate? I take it you haven't been on a golf club committee?

Ned
14th March 2011, 11:01 AM
Wish I was retired!!!!!:roll:

Yossarian
14th March 2011, 11:03 AM

Obvious troll is quite obvious.

AndyP
14th March 2011, 11:38 AM
Troll wannabe?

Yossarian
14th March 2011, 11:50 AM
I could probably mould him into something more effective.

ScottyT
14th March 2011, 12:30 PM
I'm a member of the committee of my Social Club. We run the club out of the Berowra Village Tavern, you only get a good park if your there first so that's not it! I joined to have a say in what we do and where we play. Lots of guys in te club will sit on their backsides and complain but never do anything about it. Get involved and make a difference.
Cheers Scotty.

rubin
14th March 2011, 02:02 PM

check out his other post! something about Lube and some other crap.

Let Yoss at him, see if he cant be taught a few things!

Ned
14th March 2011, 07:16 PM
It would appear he needs a good WAnkering!:razz:

:wink:

sms316
14th March 2011, 09:33 PM

He's not a troll. He's quite insightfull.

Dennis
14th March 2011, 10:36 PM
That is a great initiative MT.

Is there a fine line between the intentions of the board vs the perceived benefit to the members. Do some of these boards have unrealistic plans for the club often to the detriment of the club overall.

I'll bite Chappy

What is pissing you off at the moment with your board?

Veefore
15th March 2011, 10:39 AM

I'm on a committee and I wannabe retired.

razaar
15th March 2011, 10:42 AM
I am retired and being on a Committee is bottom of my list.

Bruce
15th March 2011, 12:08 PM
Getting in late here but let me ask a counter question:
If not you, then who should be on the committee?

Put up or shut up.

chappy1970
15th March 2011, 01:04 PM
Bruce from my perspective, it's not a job I'd do even if I had the time. Too many people to please and that is impossible.

Dennis,
The committee have formalised the agenda for the coming year/s which includes the raising of capital to go towards course improvements. The fact that it will cost me almost an extra $1000 to play this year than it did last year is a little hard to justify with my playing schedule. I have no issue with plans for course improvement, but I'm concerned it will be to the detriment of the member base.

I am intending on dropping back to a non-playing member this year, unless of course my circumstances change, as I just can't justify the spend.

Chappy

Dennis
15th March 2011, 01:56 PM
Bruce from my perspective, it's not a job I'd do even if I had the time. Too many people to please and that is impossible.

Dennis,
The committee have formalised the agenda for the coming year/s which includes the raising of capital to go towards course improvements. The fact that it will cost me almost an extra $1000 to play this year than it did last year is a little hard to justify with my playing schedule. I have no issue with plans for course improvement, but I'm concerned it will be to the detriment of the member base.

I am intending on dropping back to a non-playing member this year, unless of course my circumstances change, as I just can't justify the spend.

Chappy

Chappy,

Everyone's individual circumstances in regards to dollar impact will be different, myself included.

I guess the hard decision was either do nothing (which was rejected by the 180 involved at the info nights) or do something. The board chose the latter and has tried its best to minimise financial hardship by spreading the funds raising over 3 methods and giving payment options.

In our case, we can continue to trade at current levels and still present the course in decent shape for the next 5 years. However, unfortunately, the sheds are past their use by date, as are some other non sexy items around the place. None of the money is being used for hole redevelopment, etc.

To be fair, the response to the levy has been fantastic in regards to those committing to payment, and we expect churn levels to be in line with previous years.

chappy1970
15th March 2011, 01:59 PM
Dennis I've committed to pay the levy, but quite frankly there was no other option.

In regards to the Churn level, I've had information to the contrary of your good self and will expect that the club may be or already is surprised with the churn.

I certainly hope that the info I have is incorrect.

Webster
15th March 2011, 02:11 PM
chappy, where are the deserters going? Surely not Keysey or Kingswood?

Sydney Hacker
15th March 2011, 02:14 PM
The problem that I have with committees from my side of the fence is that whilst I am hired as a consultant to the club, there is always someone on the committee that thinks they know more than me. its not just designers but it appears that for some, you get on a committee and suddenly become an expert in irrigiation, turf, agronomy etc etc.
If you hire a consultant, let them do their job. I can't help but feel frustrated for maintenance staff that are constantly told how to do stuff from blokes on the committees that might be real estate agents, finance dudes or whatever.

The flip side of that maybe that the consultant needs to develop skills to explain what he/she wants to do in a common, easy to understand language. The club person may just be trying to get across things that have gone wrong in the past i.e. We had shit greens for 3 years because something the old greenkeeper did

Dennis
15th March 2011, 03:25 PM
Dennis I've committed to pay the levy, but quite frankly there was no other option.

In regards to the Churn level, I've had information to the contrary of your good self and will expect that the club may be or already is surprised with the churn.

I certainly hope that the info I have is incorrect.

Chappy,

My information is the opposite

Obviously we predicted a level of resignation from the membership base and this was modelled prior to the levy release to fully test outcomes.

To date, resignations due to the levy are below expectations. However the true test will come July with subscription renewals.

chappy1970
15th March 2011, 04:11 PM
Dennis I sincerely hope that my mail is incorrect, as I would hate to see a great club (IMHO) suffer.

Dennis
15th March 2011, 04:20 PM
Dennis I sincerely hope that my mail is incorrect, as I would hate to see a great club (IMHO) suffer.

We can only try

Interesting that new membership enquiries continue to come, and every month we are signing up new people.

The club is healthy

markTHEblake
15th March 2011, 06:47 PM
Getting in late here but let me ask a counter question:
If not you, then who should be on the committee?

Put up or shut up.

Dink.

That was a pin dropping.

Webster
15th March 2011, 07:07 PM
Bruce, don't underestimate the level of influence that you can have without being on committee, provided you are well informed, well organised and have the ear of one or two on committee. You dont necessarily have to go to the meetings to achieve the desired result.

Moe Norman
15th March 2011, 07:38 PM
you just have to be prepared to put your neck on the line, hey Jack?

Webster
15th March 2011, 08:08 PM
Absolutely.

"Fight hard because few will"

The best advice I have ever had.

Dennis
15th March 2011, 08:53 PM
Bruce, don't underestimate the level of influence that you can have without being on committee, provided you are well informed, well organised and have the ear of one or two on committee. You dont necessarily have to go to the meetings to achieve the desired result.

Only effective in weak committees that are run by overpowering people

rubin
15th March 2011, 09:01 PM
Only effective in weak committees that are run by overpowering people

I Disagree. One person, provided they have the right information and the right personality can have a massive impact on anything. It doesnt matter how strong or weak they are, or the comittee is.

If you project your opinion in a positive manner, backed up by correct information, people will listen, and enough people listen, committee members or not the message wil get through.

Talart
12th April 2011, 09:42 AM
After starting at the club in 2009 I am currently the secretary after no-one else put their hand up for the spot at the AGM. I had already decided to go on the committee. My own credo of "Put up or Shut Up!" does not have me crossing swords with many people but The whining and whinging of some club members was taking away from my enjoyment of golf. Having the time was a bonus to do something as well helped. Leadership is at times a quality that is lacking in Australian society, standing out from the mob can put a person in the firing line but it has never been a concern to me. I had already been active in membership drives that worked and after knocking back the V/C job had to make an effort in return for being asked to do that in my opinion.

chappy1970
12th April 2011, 10:33 AM
I played golf with an ex committee man a couple of weeks ago, he said that it was one of the most challenging and unrewarding years of his life.

Ned
10th August 2011, 10:11 PM
Plenty of interest and candidates for my Club for the AGM coming up in the next couple of months.

mike
10th August 2011, 10:25 PM
Already?

Current committee seems very good. (from where I sit anyway) I wish they were there 5 years ago.

Ned
10th August 2011, 10:34 PM
Yep.

solarman
11th August 2011, 01:13 PM
I would go to yours but everyone shares the same genes up there and it would be like watching "deliverance all over" :lol::lol:

sms316
11th August 2011, 08:11 PM
Plenty of interest and candidates for my Club for the AGM coming up in the next couple of months.

Is Dennis moving to Mareeba?

razaar
11th August 2011, 09:20 PM
If I was given the option of standing for Committee or getting poked in the eye with a shap stick, I'd have to think about it.:?

mike
11th August 2011, 10:10 PM
I'd pick the sharp stick.

Talart
12th August 2011, 09:29 AM
Coming into the last couple of months in my time as Club Secretary, this is my 3rd year at the club, and 1st year on the commitee. Took the job on as the last secretary retired and I had decided to stand for comittee already ,not in such a responsible position though lol. The time has been well spent and took a bit of effort as I am a bit of a fascist when it comes to doing things. Keep wanting to invade Poland and get a little more out of an idea or action. Fortunately the club is a smaller country based one so the members are all sociable and get along well in the main.
What sucks is the legalities and government involvements, having to be a licenced person to serve behind the bar (as a volunteer) is one. Being a "volunteer" is a total load of crap today, by not being paid there is what feels to be a frantic need to capture the actions of volunteering, by authorities to regiment the efforts given. This has had a bit to do with the number of people who do not get involved with the club now days.

It has been a drain on my real work as well, all I want to do is play golf, but giving a bit to help is worth the hassles. Next year though I will not be Secretary, I have too much on yet staying on the committee is a must I think. Want to pull the pin but again 'some one has to do it' is a motivation and so far my efforts have been well recieved and Poland is still free.

Veefore
12th August 2011, 12:48 PM
After nearly 2 years on the match committee I have found that a good reason for getting on a committee is because you play too much golf and want to cut back and you don't have enough stress at work.

Only 15 rounds of golf since Christmas and the return of week long headaches has convinced me of this. Current headache is going on 3 weeks and is increasing with intensity by the day.

rubin
12th August 2011, 12:53 PM
Do you get any reward whatsoever? I dont mean financial payment or anything, but is it a rewarding role or position?

markTHEblake
12th August 2011, 01:02 PM
Do you get any reward whatsoever? I dont mean financial payment or anything, but is it a rewarding role or position?

The reward is that your golf club needs you to survive.

Everyone should do at least one stint on a committee.

Veefore
12th August 2011, 01:21 PM
What MTB said.
I've also been able to get ozgolfers a game when they otherwise wouldn't have been able to. So ther are sometimes little bonusws.

markTHEblake
12th August 2011, 01:25 PM
Actually I will rephrase that, everyone should do at least one stint of doing something for the club. Everyone has different skills, for some it might be management, others might be hands on, like fixing stuff.

Hawkers2008
12th August 2011, 01:31 PM
Things work a lot better for the club if members pitch in a bit. I agree with MTB that its good to do something for your club by being on a committee once or doing something useful to help out.

I had a stint of a couple of years on the match committee at one of my clubs. The meetings could be a bit frustrating. I spent a hell of a lot of time processing weekend competitions and doing a bit of handicapping stuff. Overall it was a good experience I was single and on weekends had the spare time to do the comp admin.

I got a few invites to local pro-ams which I didn't expect and they were a nice bonus.

Talart
14th August 2011, 07:44 AM

It is an aesthetic reward. Getting involved as a volunteer to make things work a bit smoother and share my knowledge and way of doing things. It was a good thing personally as it revamped my slowly diiminishing diplomatic skills

There is a principle in my attitude to living which is to stand up and do things instead of sitting back and using the "I can't.." reasoning.

LoL and the overwhelming members responce that any contribution by me which does not have me operating mechanical equipment is a good thing. Sadly if I helped in mowing fairways and greens etc the course wiould soon be declared a disaster area.

Dotty
14th August 2011, 09:15 AM
I've been asked a number of times to go on the committee, and have politely turned it down each time.

The reason is that I have no experience running a buisness, esp. knowledge about staff, captial purchases vs leasing, basic accounting principles, legal requirements, etc. It would be unfair on the members for a novice to be making these decisions.

But I help in other ways around the club, such as refereeing, caddying, BBQ'ing and bookmaking at charity events. (More a Radar O'Reilly, than a Colonel Potter.)

razaar
14th August 2011, 12:19 PM
Remember its not what your club can do for you, but what you can do for your club.

That is a good reason for most not standing.