PDA

View Full Version : External HDD's

goughy
28th February 2010, 12:18 PM
So what's the go with these puppies? There seems to be a big difference in costs - 1tb drives from like $130 up to over $300? Are they for different purposes or work differently or something?

Our modem/router/voip box has a port for connecting an external HDD, which I'm guessing could then be used across the network. Do I need a particular drive to do this, or will any of them do?

markTHEblake
28th February 2010, 01:52 PM
Just buy any one Goughy, hard drives are nothing special.

Of course most nerds have a preference because at one time or another each manufacturer has had a bad batch, so they get a bad name for a while, until the next mob has them. But of course nobody remembers that, its just like a Ford v holden v toyota argument.

Just get whatever has a 3 year warranty, some still do that.

However in saying all that, i am a fan of the so called "Green" drives, that use less power and are quieter.

uahmad
28th February 2010, 03:26 PM
the main difference in price now is the size of HDD. ie. 2.5 and 3.5 external HDD.
Now this doesnt necessary mean the physical size of the hard drive but the 2.5 HD run via the USB power where as the 3.5 you need an external power (ie connected to the GPO) to run.

So 2.5 are more portable in that regard..