PDA

View Full Version : Caboolture Golf Club information ?

ddasey
24th February 2010, 03:26 PM
Hoping fellow Ozgolfers may be able to provide some information about this course, good & bad.

I am currently a member at Pine Rivers. Membership is due for renewal on the weekend but am seriously considering a change.

I am looking at Caboolture as it is around about the same price as Pine Rivers and not to far from home (26km).

I am going to try and get up there on Friday and have a look for myself.

In the meantime any information you can provide (course condition etc) would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers in advance :D

PeteyD
24th February 2010, 03:34 PM
Solid course. Freddy A is/was a member. And I think Bris Westy as well. Fairly certain you'll find it a better course than Pine Rivers.

Jarro
24th February 2010, 03:39 PM
Dave, much better course than Pine Rivers. A fairly interesting layout with the par 3 8th being the famous hole that started OzGolf ;)

Fairways are usually pretty well lush and the greens are very good.

You'd be better off being a member there for sure, depending on whether the comps are held on days that suit your shift patterns.

razaar
24th February 2010, 03:40 PM
Played there last Sunday, Dave. Course was good, a new fairway is now in play on the 13th, with the old fairway made into a practice area. The bamboo stand to the left of the 14th (par3) is gone. The greens were a little off (some slow and graiy) but still OK.
I believe they have increased their fee structure with some members unhappy with the increase voting with their feet.
IMO Wantima is a better track - the extra in fees will offset travelling costs if you live in the Strathpine area.

CobraSS
24th February 2010, 06:46 PM
Hoping fellow Ozgolfers may be able to provide some information about this course, good & bad.

I am currently a member at Pine Rivers. Membership is due for renewal on the weekend but am seriously considering a change.

I am looking at Caboolture as it is around about the same price as Pine Rivers and not to far from home (26km).

I am going to try and get up there on Friday and have a look for myself.

In the meantime any information you can provide (course condition etc) would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers in advance :D

Join Woodford instead only another 25kms $475 mem, $75 nom if you join before the end of February, otherwise $180 nom, unless another promotion occurs.

markTHEblake
24th February 2010, 07:13 PM
Go have a game of golf there, see if you like it. They shouldnt charge you a green fee if you are thinking about joining

Join Woodford instead
Bam this spanner!

BrisWesty
24th February 2010, 07:42 PM
I think full fees are about $700-$800 a year at present.
The other option is part time membership. $25/mth - $300/year. Allows maintenance of handicap, 12 rounds at the course/year ($10 comp fee not included) but you can't play in the monthly medal or club championships.
Happy to call it my home course.

Woodford is also good.

CobraSS
24th February 2010, 07:43 PM
Go have a game of golf there, see if you like it. They shouldnt charge you a green fee if you are thinking about joining

The golf pro won't give up his greenfee kick..........:smt108

ddasey
24th February 2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks for all the information gents.

I plan to try and get up there on Friday to have a look around. I also like the fact that if need be, they have a Sunday comp as well as the midweek comp. Depending on my shifts I should be able to get there once a week, touch wood. :-k

Thanks for the info Westy, was hoping you might chime in. A question for you though. How does the course go during long dry spells. Does it have enough water on course to survive??

Andrew, Woodford had crossed my mind but probably just a little bit to far, especially when the young bloke is playing footy on Saturdays. Thanks for the info anyway.. :smt038

markTHEblake
24th February 2010, 07:53 PM
The golf pro won't give up his greenfee kick..........:smt108

technically its none of his business?

i would contact the club captain and talk about joining the club, and discuss playing golf with the members in a comp round to see what the club is like, it also gives the club the opportunity to check me out as well ;)

fairly common practice in the days when joining clubs was no rubber stamp job

sms316
24th February 2010, 08:01 PM
Join Caboolture. The members can supply some good drugs for you if that sweetens the deal.

ddasey
24th February 2010, 08:08 PM
:lol:

steverawlo
24th February 2010, 08:28 PM
You can play Caboolture as a visitor for $13.50 in a comp any Saturday except club champs. If you're like me and can't get out too often, just get a Robina Mega Membership and play open events all around the place.

If you want to play regularly at the same course, consider Bribie. About $700 - $800 green fees, 20mins further away and an excellent course in any weather. However, I might be a bit biased because I was a member there. If I could play more Saturdays, I'd join back there in a flash.

ddasey
24th February 2010, 08:40 PM
You can play Caboolture as a visitor for $13.50 in a comp any Saturday except club champs. If you're like me and can't get out too often, just get a Robina Mega Membership and play open events all around the place.

If you want to play regularly at the same course, consider Bribie. About $700 - $800 green fees, 20mins further away and an excellent course in any weather. However, I might be a bit biased because I was a member there. If I could play more Saturdays, I'd join back there in a flash.

Thanks Steve.

Lots to consider :-k

BrisWesty
24th February 2010, 08:54 PM
ddasey, the course can get a bit dry on occasion (hole #15 seems to be the driest), but there's a number of dams to lose balls in on site. The drier the course, the further the ball runs?

Eag's
24th February 2010, 08:57 PM
I always enjoy Caboolture and even considered joining there awhile back myself. Great value as far as memberships go.

AndyP
24th February 2010, 09:05 PM
You can play Caboolture as a visitor for $13.50 in a comp any Saturday except club champs.
Which makes the part-time membership option look expensive for 12 rounds.

Caboolture is a tough course. If you can beat 75 there, you truly are a great golfer.

There is a good mix of holes there and I'd like to get back there for another hit soon.

BrisWesty
24th February 2010, 09:39 PM
Which makes the part-time membership option look expensive for 12 rounds.

Caboolture is a tough course. If you can beat 75 there, you truly are a great golfer.

There is a good mix of holes there and I'd like to get back there for another hit soon.

Champion subtlety, AP. Didn't you go very low there when we played? What was it again? 75 or was it actually 74.

Both you and Steverawlo make good points. For some reason I thought it was more than $13.50 for a visitor but I've been wrong before ...

ddasey
24th February 2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys.

Will have to find out more. If rawlo is right and it's only $13.50 for vistors to play on a Saturday I would be mad not to become a mega member.

Although I really like the idea of having a 'home' club.

AndyP
24th February 2010, 10:27 PM
Champion subtlety, AP. Didn't you go very low there when we played? What was it again? 75 or was it actually 74. The latter during the district championships.

Both you and Steverawlo make good points. For some reason I thought it was more than $13.50 for a visitor but I've been wrong before ...I dropped my Nambour country membership because the $/round got too high (they also allowed 12). I can understand wanting to have a home club, but when they take away the chance to win champs or monthly mugs, it loses that home club feeling for me.

I don't know when the open day sticky was last updated in regards to $13.50. Maybe it's a little more now, or maybe they aren't open anymore.

Hux
24th February 2010, 10:34 PM
Dave

Bribie is $700 p/a

ddasey
24th February 2010, 11:08 PM
Dave

Bribie is $700 p/a

Looked at that, but at the moment nomination fees are killing me.

Caboolture Noms are $50.

BrisWesty
2nd March 2010, 11:08 PM
Suggest the course is not too dry at the moment.

ddasey
8th March 2010, 10:24 PM
Well no decision made as of yet and I am now officially clubless....(which could mean I am out of a game for Saturday - Doh)

I think it will come down to either Caboolture or Wantima.

damoocow
8th March 2010, 11:43 PM
Dave - Have you played both courses ?

ddasey
9th March 2010, 04:45 PM
Popped down and had a look at Wantima about 10 days ago and it suprised me. It was in very good condition and the greens were excellent. I can see why Razaar gives it a big wrap :smt038

Will try and get up and have a look at Caboolture this week.

The bonus with Wantima is that it is a hell of a lot closer to home (8km as compared to 22km)

razaar
9th March 2010, 04:50 PM
Dave, Wantima has been out of play for almost a week. I haven't been able to follow up on what we talked about , but will do so when things are up and running again.

Jarro
9th March 2010, 04:50 PM
You wouldn't go wrong with either course Dave ... both are good enough tracks.

Gets down to other considerations like cost/travel time/availability of comp tee-times i reckon.

Good luck :)

AndyP
9th March 2010, 04:58 PM
Ask Eag's about Wantima. Not a fan.

ddasey
9th March 2010, 05:00 PM
Dave, Wantima has been out of play for almost a week. I haven't been able to follow up on what we talked about , but will do so when things are up and running again.

Appreciated Ray, anxious to find a new home. :-k

Hux
9th March 2010, 09:16 PM
Dave as long as you are a member of Ozgolf you just need somewhere half way decent to keep you in club play and then Ozgolf takes care of the varierty of other courses.

Only downside I see to Wantima and its the same for Nudgee is that it gets very boggy after heavy rain. Other than that its interesting enough and being close to home is a big factor. The drive to Bribie doesn't get me down but I can't just have a snappy nine holes if I could skive off from work early one afternoon.

sms316
4th March 2012, 06:39 PM
Played Caboolture for the first time this morning. Pretty reasonable course with greens that look shocking yet roll really pure. Only drawback was that a few of the holes were just a bit dull. It felt like they had been put there to fill in the gaps.

Pine Rivers doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

BrisWesty
4th March 2012, 06:55 PM
Welcome to the dark side SMS. Which holes did you think were dull?

Do you reckon 59 off the stick is pretty good going there?

Ronny
4th March 2012, 06:59 PM
Pine Rivers doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

At least we haven't hit our members up for $200 levy!!! You'd be surprised by the number of Caboolture members that have joined Pine Rivers.

Yes people might think its a bit of a goat track but its cheap (no noms!) and close to the city.

sms316
4th March 2012, 06:59 PM
Welcome to the dark side SMS. Which holes did you think were dull? Do you reckon 59 off the stick is pretty good going there? 59 is just crazy and was the topic of conversation all morning. I'm going to struggle to remember hole numbers, but 7(?) was one of them. 320m holes are just neither here nor there. There was a hole on the back which was much the same.

sms316
4th March 2012, 07:03 PM
I didn't get to play 18, but I thought it was a cool finishing hole, especially in match play.

Webster
4th March 2012, 07:11 PM
Did you say hello to tolmij?

sms316
4th March 2012, 07:14 PM
Did you say hello to tolmij? Didn't see him. Snob.

BrisWesty
4th March 2012, 09:06 PM
59 is just crazy and was the topic of conversation all morning. I'm going to struggle to remember hole numbers, but 7(?) was one of them. 320m holes are just neither here nor there. There was a hole on the back which was much the same.

Daniel almost drove the 7th.

I find the 7th a little tough on occasion, especially if I leak right off the tee.

The 11th is a similar length, but ending right off the tee is pretty dead again. It's an interesting uphill 2nd to a two tiered green.

Wondering if you're referring to 16. Dogleg right with the dam on the inside of the dogleg. It's ruined some of my good rounds, but there isn't much variation in the way you can play it.

Jarro
4th March 2012, 10:51 PM
That 11th green is a brute :shock:

Nice track Caboolture ... must get out there for a hit again one day soon :)

sms316
5th March 2012, 07:37 AM
Daniel almost drove the 7th. I find the 7th a little tough on occasion, especially if I leak right off the tee. The 11th is a similar length, but ending right off the tee is pretty dead again. It's an interesting uphill 2nd to a two tiered green.Wondering if you're referring to 16. Dogleg right with the dam on the inside of the dogleg. It's ruined some of my good rounds, but there isn't much variation in the way you can play it.Yeah 11. I hit 3 iron & 9 iron. After playing 10 greens which don't break much it was a bit of an eye opener - and I hit it onto the right level. We play against Caboolture next week. We're hoping Nesbit has something else on.

BrisWesty
5th March 2012, 10:15 AM
Are you head to head, or are you not playing #1?

sms316
5th March 2012, 11:14 AM
Are you head to head, or are you not playing #1? I've been playing #2.

hopeihitstraight
5th March 2012, 01:30 PM
I think its a good track but not a $900 dollar track per year, why they want to increase comp fees after players left has me puzzled.

markTHEblake
5th March 2012, 06:56 PM
Golf courses do not charge membership to make a profit. If its $900 a year then thats what it costs them to keep the club running.

PeteyD
6th March 2012, 08:25 AM
Yeah 11. I hit 3 iron & 9 iron. After playing 10 greens which don't break much it was a bit of an eye opener - and I hit it onto the right level. We play against Caboolture next week. We're hoping Nesbit has something else on.

You were right to hope. He is playing pennants for Yarra Yarra, flies down friday (according to the CM this morning)

sms316
6th March 2012, 10:38 AM
You were right to hope. He is playing pennants for Yarra Yarra, flies down friday (according to the CM this morning) Thank Christ!

Webster
6th March 2012, 11:59 AM
Can one of you blokes psot that article from the CM please, its not available online.

PeteyD
6th March 2012, 04:52 PM

Jarro
6th March 2012, 11:03 PM
Drove the 7th green .....

... get outta here !!! :shock:

damoocow
26th January 2016, 07:42 AM
Played Caboolture yesterday. Greens were the best I have seen anywhere in the last 12 months. I was disturbed to find that the 'sand' for divots is actually very small pieces of gravel... Fairways have divots with bits of gravel in them - quite ridiculous. First chance I got I filled my bucket up from a bunker...

Also was talking to a guy recently who has just joined Pine Rivers - apparently they now have the pro from North Lakes on staff and have just started a huge reno project of the course - it's a good 18 holes that is always in absolutely appaling nick - maybe this is the chance to get it sorted - membership drive on for $650 for 18 months apparently.

razaar
26th January 2016, 11:46 AM
Sluming it Damien?�� Always liked playing Caboulture, it has a nice atmosphere about it. Their grounds super was previously the super at Pine Rivers GC, which had wonderful tiftdwarf greens in Col's time there.

Blackhelmo
26th January 2016, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback fellas. It's a pleasure to churn out greens that people enjoy.

damoocow
26th January 2016, 10:20 PM
Sluming it Damien?�� Always liked playing Caboulture, it has a nice atmosphere about it. Their grounds super was previously the super at Pine Rivers GC, which had wonderful tiftdwarf greens in Col's time there.

Ray - if I lived closer I'd consider Caboolture - great variety of holes.

damoocow
26th January 2016, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback fellas. It's a pleasure to churn out greens that people enjoy.

What's the go with the gravel for divots though?

Blackhelmo
26th January 2016, 11:16 PM
It was more a trial than anything, we purchased it for a great price, it's only 2mm and the turf seems to recover a tad quicker. We will be going back to sand once the supply runs out. There has been a bit of a backlash from members, however, chances of landing in a divot are small. We also utilise it in irrigation repairs, so saves to better sand for topdressing greens etc. there is a course out west/north west and they use it on everything!!!!!

razaar
27th January 2016, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback fellas. It's a pleasure to churn out greens that people enjoy.You're wasted on those Caboulture ferals Col.☺

Blackhelmo
27th January 2016, 09:20 AM
You're wasted on those Caboulture ferals Col.☺

Haha nobody else will have me Ray :)

PeteyD
27th January 2016, 09:38 AM
Come to reddy bay

Blackhelmo
27th January 2016, 02:14 PM
Isn't Maxie doing ok over there??? New irrigation system going/ gone in??. Never been to Redland bay GC

PeteyD
27th January 2016, 05:51 PM
They are raising funds for the irrigation. I think maxie got a major kick in the bum to fix it up.

Blackhelmo
27th January 2016, 06:35 PM
Haha, been chasing my tail trying to keep up with our watering. We have the same system as reddy bay, however a different version, if that makes sense.