PDA

View Full Version : AC/DC

Captain Nemo
24th February 2010, 12:32 PM
Anyone else go to any of the concerts around Oz?
I went sat night here in Sydney, F me, what a show they put on!

poidda
24th February 2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah I'm at the one in Brisbane tomorrow. I still class the last time I saw them in England as one of the best shows ever.

Captain Nemo
24th February 2010, 12:40 PM
I saw them at the ent centre last tour but this was bigger and way better, amazing show from a bunch of old bastards!

KristianJ
24th February 2010, 12:57 PM
A few freinds of mine went on Sat night and told me about Angus Young's 20 minute guitar solo...I wonder if they allowed audience taping at that show - might have a look tonight and see if there is a recording.

Webster
24th February 2010, 01:11 PM
its not AC/DC unless Bon Scott is on lead vocals.

goughy
24th February 2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah I'm at the one in Brisbane tomorrow. I still class the last time I saw them in England as one of the best shows ever.

So maybe there will be a happier crowd there than at Whitney's :)

LarryLong
24th February 2010, 01:27 PM
A few freinds of mine went on Sat night and told me about Angus Young's 20 minute guitar solo...
I'm assuming the singer had to take a dump or something?

Or maybe his dentures fell out and he couldn't find them? :mrgreen:

Bruce Dickinson
24th February 2010, 01:27 PM
Perth concert next week, I might be the only one who thinks this but for me a 20 minute guitar solo isn't something to look forward to.

live4golf
24th February 2010, 01:30 PM
I went Saturday...awesome. guitar solo was a tad long.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
24th February 2010, 01:47 PM
I went Saturday night also. F***en awesome concert. Their music sounds better live. Got to see some nice boobies too. LoL

live4golf
24th February 2010, 01:53 PM
I went Saturday night also. F***en awesome concert. Their music sounds better live. Got to see some nice boobies too. LoL

What about that blonde girl they kept going back to and she wouldn't show the goods...

PerryGroves
24th February 2010, 01:59 PM
Perth concert next week, I might be the only one who thinks this but for me a 20 minute guitar solo isn't something to look forward to.

Planning a 20 minute drum solo for Perth. :)

Bruce Dickinson
24th February 2010, 02:52 PM
Planning a 20 minute drum solo for Perth. :)
at Phil Rudd's age 20 minutes might be a tad too long

adlo
24th February 2010, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't even enjoy a 20 min solo from a decent guitarist.

Bruce Dickinson
24th February 2010, 03:02 PM
Name a decent guitarist

poidda
24th February 2010, 03:06 PM
Name a decent guitarist

I'm guessing...

http://www.dv247.com/assets/news/dv247/hannah-montana.jpg

PeteyD
24th February 2010, 03:06 PM
Saw em in 88. Show is probably the same!

Angus Young is a pretty decent guitarist.

adlo
24th February 2010, 03:09 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jimi Hendrix
Jimi Page

Nuno Bettencourt
Joe Satriani

or that I have seen live:

BB King
Buddy Guy
Santana
Jeff Beck
Believe it or not..... John Mayer (I know you'll give me shit forever for this one BD)

Or, better than all of these guys is good family friend Pete Rinaldi. He was playing Satriani note for note before he was in high school. I have wwatched him tear it up for hours, but I still think a 20 min solo is too long.

Jarro
24th February 2010, 03:10 PM

Name a decent guitarist

I'm guessing...

http://www.dv247.com/assets/news/dv247/hannah-montana.jpg

:lol:

Saw em in 88. Show is probably the same!

Angus Young is a pretty decent guitarist.

I was thinking the same thing PD.
The show in '88 was great, but really dragged on towards the end, particularly as the song endings all consisted of Angus running around berko for 5 mins holding his Gibson aloft :roll:

Tomo
24th February 2010, 03:11 PM
Saw them Thursday and again on Monday.

Great show....all the better for the female crowd participation

PeteyD
24th February 2010, 03:11 PM
20 minute solo is long.

Angus Young is at least as good as Nuno the ninny.

adlo
24th February 2010, 03:14 PM
Angus Young is "Mr Poo Licks" and messy as anything.

PeteyD
24th February 2010, 03:18 PM
Mr Poo Licks, that's funny.

Reminds me of:

y2QfIegR_a8

adlo
24th February 2010, 03:44 PM
Staged?

Funny though

goughy
24th February 2010, 04:02 PM
at Phil Rudd's age 20 minutes might be a tad too long

No offence to Phil Rudd, but we are talking about Phil Rudd here. Even 20 years ago a 20 minute solo would consist of 20 minutes playing 2-4!! With a cymbal crash every 2 bars!

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jimi Hendrix
Jimi Page

Nuno Bettencourt
Joe Satriani

or that I have seen live:

BB King
Buddy Guy
Santana
Jeff Beck
Believe it or not..... John Mayer (I know you'll give me shit forever for this one BD)

Or, better than all of these guys is good family friend Pete Rinaldi. He was playing Satriani note for note before he was in high school. I have wwatched him tear it up for hours, but I still think a 20 min solo is too long.

Where's Jeff Healey in this list??? Saw him in '89 I think it was and he rocked! Weird ass retarded way of playing guitar worked a dream for him.

adlo
24th February 2010, 04:04 PM
That is my list goughy. Feel free to build your own 8)

Bruce Dickinson
24th February 2010, 04:05 PM
That is my list goughy. Feel free to build your own 8)
without John Mayer :lol:

adlo
24th February 2010, 04:18 PM
He he, the guy is a douche, but he is a SRV clone if I have ever seen one. Awesome guitarist.

Bruce Dickinson
24th February 2010, 04:45 PM
He he, the guy is a douche, but he is a SRV clone if I have ever seen one. Awesome guitarist.
any bloke that knocks back Jennifer Anniston is no good in my book

Comparing his ability to SRV is a big, big call

goughy
24th February 2010, 04:55 PM
He did say clone! Copying his style doesn't mean he copied his ability. I should have brought my kids up on SRV's Mary had a little lamb - stuff the nursery rhyme! (I did used to sing 'sympathy for the devil' to my daughter when she was too small to remember)

adlo
24th February 2010, 07:20 PM
No, his ability is not equal to SRV.

However, his ability would put him amongst the best "current" blues-rock guitarists alive today.

Bruce Dickinson
24th February 2010, 07:45 PM
No, his ability is not equal to SRV.

However, his ability would put him amongst the best "current" blues-rock guitarists alive today.

like this

X88wG66UDkk

or this

VnqpOFcBiMM

PeteyD
24th February 2010, 07:49 PM
I think it is pointless Bruce.

Bruce Dickinson
24th February 2010, 08:00 PM
I think it is pointless Bruce.

:lol:

adlo
24th February 2010, 08:01 PM
Bruce, that top video is a bit more of shredding than blues-rock ala SRV. That would compare to Satriani more than SRV.....

Also, I long for the day when you link any music that isn't pre-2000. I am sure if your employer allowed it, you would still have a mullet.

PD, I grew up with a guitar teacher for a brother and have seen a lot of serious guitarists in my time. So it is not wasted. I stand by my comments.

Maybe I should say "blues" guitarist then. I make my opinion as much on feel as technical brilliance. I have seen Mayer "shred" but IMO he has brilliant feel. Similar to how SRV did. Bruce D, most of the clips you link lack in the feel department in my books.

FWIW, you should compare Mayer to Clapton. And IMO, Mayer is a better guitarist than Clapton. Contrary to popular opinion, of course.

PeteyD
24th February 2010, 08:15 PM
:D You is funny Adlo. Is there any link of Gheyer playing. I only know him by the crap assed mega play songs on the radio my wife listens to.

adlo
24th February 2010, 08:20 PM
I'll find some.

Please don't read my comments above as saying Mayer is equal to SRV.

IMO no one has equalled SRV since he passed.

Jarro
24th February 2010, 08:21 PM
FWIW, you should compare Mayer to Clapton. And IMO, Mayer is a better guitarist than Clapton. Contrary to popular opinion, of course.

Now there's a ripper :shock:

Surely that was a gee-up adlo !!!

adlo
24th February 2010, 08:23 PM
In part.

Clapton is overrated. Another "Mr poo licks" if you ask me. And yes, I have listened to all of his stuff.

goughy
24th February 2010, 08:26 PM
XqU9RZqvFKY

0uRex6moyw4
I also love the 3 piece band thing!

PeteyD
24th February 2010, 08:26 PM
I agree on Clapton being overrated.

Jarro
24th February 2010, 08:27 PM
fair enough then, i'd hate you to make that assumption without really listening to a lot of Claptons work.

So anyway, back to AccaDacca ... and i personally think Angus is an overated player.

Influential - yes
Technically great - probably not

... but then ACDC haven't topped Musicians polls in their respective categories a lot, but they sure top the albums sold lists :)

adlo
24th February 2010, 08:31 PM
Sorry for the threadjack.

Maybe a guitarist thread is the go.

I am afraid all of my professed quieter musical tastes have made you think I don't know what I am talking about.

PeteyD
24th February 2010, 08:32 PM
ACDC found their niche and have remade the same album over and over. Awesome in terms of marketing and sales etc. Angus is a solid blues rock player. 20 minute solos are boring as bat shit and should have stopped after Dazed and Confused on The Song remains the same.

PeteyD
24th February 2010, 08:33 PM
Sorry for the threadjack.

Maybe a guitarist thread is the go.

I am afraid all of my professed quieter musical tastes have made you think I don't know what I am talking about.

No I was just poking fun at you. Love that you put BB King and Buddy Guy in your list, and that is was not an ameri-centric crap list from a guitar mag.

goughy
24th February 2010, 08:33 PM
And ask any heavy metal or hard rock band pretty much in the world who their influences are, and AC/DC list by almost all of them. I'm amazed by how influential they have been. Just producing good solid rock. Forget INXS or anyone else; AC/DC has to be our most successful musical export!

Jarro
24th February 2010, 08:35 PM
I have to agree with Jack though, they haven't really been ACDC since Bon died.

adlo
24th February 2010, 08:40 PM
No I was just poking fun at you. Love that you put BB King and Buddy Guy in your list, and that is was not an ameri-centric crap list from a guitar mag.

Looking at my list makes me realise how much I like blues influenced players. This might be explained by my obsession with Hendrix from the age of 12.

And ask any heavy metal or hard rock band pretty much in the world who their influences are, and AC/DC list by almost all of them. I'm amazed by how influential they have been. Just producing good solid rock. Forget INXS or anyone else; AC/DC has to be our most successful musical export!

I think you are right.

I am not a huge fan, but they have a solid formula and make some pretty decent heavy rock.

Webster
24th February 2010, 09:15 PM
Jeff Healey is superb. His version of "When the night comes fallin' from the sky" is a cracker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZT-mtFiLBY&feature=related

goughy
24th February 2010, 09:56 PM
This all reminded me to go looking on ebay again and yeah there was a seller with copies of both Live in London (89) and Monterey (99) so I'll soon have some Healey back in my collection.

Now if I could only find Rod Stewarts Live at the LA Forum I'll be in heaven!

poidda
25th February 2010, 09:32 AM
I have to agree with Jack though, they haven't really been ACDC since Bon died.

That's a big call considering he's been dead for 30 years and was only the AccaDacca front man for 6 years prior that.

poidda
25th February 2010, 09:37 AM
Five months after Scott's death, AC/DC recorded Back in Black as a tribute to him with two tracks from the album, "Hells Bells" and "Back in Black", dedicated to his memory. It is now the second best-selling album in history, behind Michael Jackson's Thriller, and the best-selling album by a band.

I never realised that to be honest.

goughy
25th February 2010, 10:14 AM
My fav AC/DC song, Back in Black!

PeteyD
25th February 2010, 02:14 PM
Awesome a side, but the b side of Back In Black had some crap on it, "Have a Drink on me springs to mind (assuming I remember it correctly).

gazgolf1
25th February 2010, 09:36 PM
Jeez they are LOUD!!, I'm at Holland Pk and can hear them plain as day.:shock:

AndyP
25th February 2010, 09:46 PM
I'd put in a complaint, Gaz. Something needs to be done. People need to be able to hear their own TVs. Have a word to the woman around the corner from me, who got her face in the paper for complaining about the speedway noise six kilometres away.

Tomo
25th February 2010, 10:33 PM
I wonder how they would be now if Bon were alive.

Would the band have survived with two egos like Angus and Bon?

PeteyD
26th February 2010, 08:42 AM
Doubt it. They survive Brian because no one can understand a thing he says.

Jarro
26th February 2010, 08:59 AM
I'd still love to hear Bon sing Back in Black though 8)

poidda
26th February 2010, 09:22 AM
Jeez they are LOUD!!, I'm at Holland Pk and can hear them plain as day.:shock:

I can vouch for that! They were LOUD! My ears are still ringing.

Great gig/production, the whole thing. And hats off them for still running around like school kids in their 60's. It's not as if they just stood up there and just collected their coin. I was stuffed just watching them.

As for still being the same with Bon Scott still alive. It was never going to happen anyway.

poidda
26th February 2010, 03:59 PM
Here's a couple of vids from the gig last night mymate took.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am1N34DEVjI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqH-jX8GtOA

Hamo84
3rd March 2010, 12:46 AM
Just got home from the AC/DC concert in adelaide and all i can say is wow.... bloody awesome show!!!!!!!

GolfBallWhackerGuy
4th March 2010, 01:15 PM
What about that blonde girl they kept going back to and she wouldn't show the goods...

There were a few. but the ones that did were pretty good. :mrgreen:

Bruce Dickinson
8th March 2010, 12:10 PM
good show but f..k me 15 minute guitar solo's are a drag. Would rather them use that 15 minutes to play 2 or 3 more songs.

adlo
8th March 2010, 12:48 PM
Oh well look on the bright side, you were expecting 20 minutes :lol:

Bruce Dickinson
8th March 2010, 01:40 PM
Oh well look on the bright side, you were expecting 20 minutes :lol:

every cloud has a silver lining

Jarro
8th March 2010, 02:00 PM
A 15 minute drum solo would be better ....

.. but i doubt old Phil would have it in him ;)

Bruce Dickinson
8th March 2010, 02:35 PM
A 15 minute drum solo would be better ....

.. but i doubt old Phil would have it in him ;)
Phil Rudd along with Brian Johnson looks the healthiest of all of them, and was drumming and smoking at the same time which is pretty impressive. He must have a durry roadie that makes sure he doesn't drop winnie blue ash on himself

Malcolm Young looked like one of the cast of the living dead.

PeteyD
10th March 2010, 07:47 PM
Phil Rudd along with Brian Johnson looks the healthiest of all of them, and was drumming and smoking at the same time which is pretty impressive. He must have a durry roadie that makes sure he doesn't drop winnie blue ash on himself

Malcolm Young looked like one of the cast of the living dead.

As I guessed, just like in '88 :D