PDA

View Full Version : Uahmad Swing

uahmad
23rd February 2010, 09:04 PM
Ok good to go im uploading them as we speak.

I just had a quick squizz and WOW, just by looking at it I can see one huge error in my swing (im sure there are 1000s). Opened my eyes, cant wait to go back to the range tomorrow and work on a few things.

Anyway a bit of background to whats happening, recently when things seemed good I was hitting my 7i 150-155m (and it felt good, compressing the ball and it felt effortless, almost like i had no control through impact it was like the club was doing the work itself) and got a very slight draw on them.

However more recently now I have lost the feeling and cant get that distance i was getting, and not getting that slight draw and seem to be giving it more oomph without that crisp ball crushing/compressing feeling... lucky to hit 145m now.

Its annoying because on the cuz every now and then I get that feeling I use to get and fly it 155m which generally results in flying a green and costing me huge shots, and then when i play for 155m obviously i hit weak shots or really bad shots cuz i know i have to give it some oomph..

all other irons are +/- approx 10m from the 7i and suffer the same problem as per above.

Driver has been erratic, i can hit a great drive 260m and then slice/push the next one soo bad, then hit a straight one down the fairway but only under 220m when i know i should be hitting my drives over 240+

Would love the experts to have a look and comment..

Cheers

uahmad
23rd February 2010, 10:35 PM
Ok here they are;

First one is with the gap wedge, the title of vid represents the swings in different views

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PAZtyVP3m4

The second is with the Driver, again the title of vid represends how I hit the driver (good bad etc in sequence with play order)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6QQw68kWwY

The third vid is with the 7 iron...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B77B9N8z8M

Eldrick
23rd February 2010, 10:59 PM
That looks like sharkies?

adlo
23rd February 2010, 11:03 PM
Do you know Cams?

Anyway, try shortening that swing.

dan
23rd February 2010, 11:17 PM
Taking it too far inside then coming OTT.

Scottt
23rd February 2010, 11:31 PM
As Adlo alluded to, you're wearing three-quarter pants.

That is more offensive than anything I saw in your swing :lol:

adlo
23rd February 2010, 11:45 PM
Do you know Cams?

Anyway, try shortening that swing.those pants
My original post corrected.

As Adlo alluded to, you're wearing three-quarter pants.

That is more offensive than anything I saw in your swing :lol:

:lol:

razaar
24th February 2010, 01:40 AM
uah
Are you a baseball player?

Your perception of what constitutes a golf swing is all wrong. Compare your swing with these tour players and make a list of the differences between your swing and Stuart Appleby.
http://www.pgatour.com/swingplex/02/00/98/index.html

uahmad
24th February 2010, 08:21 AM
uah

Your perception of what constitutes a golf swing is all wrong. Compare your swing with these tour players and make a list of the differences between your swing and Stuart Appleby.

Raz - no not a baseball player but used to be a cricketer.

I can clearly see in my vids that im swinging far too long, even my gap wedge is past parallel at the top - is this a bi-product of the exaggerated shoulder turn or do my arms just keep going where instead they should stop when my shoulder stops?

I can also see im taking the club inside very early on my takeaway and most of the time i start my down swing with little hip movement but more my arms. - So am i firing my hips too late? or do i need to make a consious effort to turn the hips and let the arms sort of hang before coming down.

I think i also need to keep the hands closer to my body on the downswing?

razaar
24th February 2010, 08:49 AM
Uah

Spend a few minutes every day over the next fortnight comparing your swing to Appleby's. It is more productive if you discover the differences yourself without anybody pointing them out. The more times you do this, the more differences you will see.

The key areas are at set-up, first two feet of the take away, the top of the backswing and the transition to forward swing, two feet on either side through the ball position, follow through position at shoulder height.

Then book a lesson with a good teaching pro and ask lots of questions about how and why Appleby (example) swings the way he does and what you need to work on to incorporate similar fundamentals in your game.

The first step is always to understand. I wouldn't hit another golf ball until I have had the first lesson, in your circumstances.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 09:58 AM
I must say that it has a lot of similar features of my swing. Overswing, coming over the top, finishing on point of right foot.

Awesome swing. ;)

What Raz said sounds like a good idea. And he knows his shit. :)

Captain Nemo
24th February 2010, 11:19 AM
uah

Raz, thanks for that link, very informative.:smt038

uahmad
24th February 2010, 11:26 AM
Uah

Spend a few minutes every day over the next fortnight comparing your swing to Appleby's. It is more productive if you discover the differences yourself without anybody pointing them out. The more times you do this, the more differences you will see.

The key areas are at set-up, first two feet of the take away, the top of the backswing and the transition to forward swing, two feet on either side through the ball position, follow through position at shoulder height.

Then book a lesson with a good teaching pro and ask lots of questions about how and why Appleby (example) swings the way he does and what you need to work on to incorporate similar fundamentals in your game.

The first step is always to understand. I wouldn't hit another golf ball until I have had the first lesson, in your circumstances.

Raz,

Will put the 2 swings in a comparison software together tonight and have a hard look. In the interim do you recommend any teaching pros in Sydney?

However not hitting another golf ball for that long might be hard for me to do. I wont have the self restraint.. i also have to play in a corporate event next tuesday which ive unfortunately organised...

Eldrick
24th February 2010, 11:32 AM
do you recommend any teaching pros in Sydney?

+1

razaar
24th February 2010, 11:37 AM
Raz,

Will put the 2 swings in a comparison software together tonight and have a hard look. In the interim do you recommend any teaching pros in Sydney?

However not hitting another golf ball for that long might be hard for me to do. I wont have the self restraint.. i also have to play in a corporate event next tuesday which ive unfortunately organised...
I'm in Brizzy, the NSW lads can point you in the right direction. What I meant was don't go out and work on your swing..:lol:

LarryLong
24th February 2010, 12:19 PM
Look on the bright side, you could be the bloke who hit the shot at 0:34 in the gap wedge video. That's gold, I tell you!

I don't know much about swing mechanics, but that's the best theatrical holding of the follow through position I've seen in a long time. :) Surely that's got to count for something?

On a positive note I reckon Razaar is being way too harsh and over the top about saying you should see a pro and stop hitting golf balls until you do. What's that about? Is Ray saying that you don't have the right to play golf with a swing like that? :)

From my position the swing does look a little dodgy, I can't describe it but maybe a bit mechanical and 'armsy' to my uneducated sight, but most of the balls went pretty straight and plenty of choppers around here would be spraying them all over the place with better swings than yours.

(Oh, and I would definately have razzed you about the cutoffs if Adlo and Scottt hadn't jumped in first. :))

uahmad
24th February 2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks Larry,
In fact all my gap wedge shots would hit the green, i dont think i played a bad ball with the gap wedge at all.
They were all going 100m +- 2m i think. But i wasnt getting that feeling ive had before where i really crush the ball, and i know im swinging good (edit: better) when i hit my gap wedge 110m effortlessly

the 7i i think out of 15 balls i hit 3 that would miss the fairway
the driver i hit 15 balls and 4 were bad the other 11 hitting fairways...

But i see what Raz means, I think i have potential to really fix the swing and see some huge improvements, I probably should take a lesson and get the bad habbits out before they become too hard to lose.
But with who in Sydney, need a good teaching pro.
I have just started watching/reading Shawn Clements videos, he reall makes sense also starting reading Jefferey Manns website. I think he advocates the TGM philosphy.
Anyway what an eye opener seeing my swing on video..

uahmad
24th February 2010, 12:54 PM
Reminder to not take any more vids in the 3/4 pants for next time... ;)

martinez
24th February 2010, 04:58 PM
You have a good strong move...you don't want to lose that, you just want to contain it better.

Your left leg and hip turn too much away from the target in the backswing, you roll the arms also. Someone pointed out that you take it too far inside then come over the top. That's true, but it's important for you to understand why you do that.

I would have you take the hands inside a little more, feel the clubhead stays outside them longer...but don't lose that nice flow off the ball....just minimize the rotation of the arms away from the target.

What that, and resisting the left leg/hip from turning away from the target will do is get the sweetspot rising more up the plane and not across it. It's this motion across at the end of the backswing is what causes you to come OTT.

Swinging the club on plane can be as simple as managing the rate at which the clubhead moves relative to the hands throughout the BS/Transition...it has more to do with that, than positioning the golf club. Positioning the club on plane is much harder to repeat, than 'swinging it' on plane.

uahmad
24th February 2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks Martinez for having a look, now I need to clearly understand some of the words you're using as many people use the same words but the meanings is quite different (ie. Cocking, hinging).

So my left leg kicks in too much and this is too far away from target line?

My left hip is turning too much ie. if it starts out parrallel to the target line (ie. 180 deg) during my backswing its almost 60 degrees? is this what you mean. If i reduce this turn this will effectively reduce my right hip turn as well i would imagine, and thus having a smaller coil?

Im a bit unsure or having trouble picturing what you mean by taking the hand inside a little more? essentially what i picture is my hand coming around my body quicker than i do now and thus the clubhead is outside longer.
Effectively if i do this then when i reach the parralle level and hence pointing in line with the target line my clubhead toe wont be facing up it will be more shut??

And are you saying in my backswing my plane is up and across (ie. feeling of club falling behind me or backwards?) rather than around and steep up?

martinez
24th February 2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks Martinez for having a look, now I need to clearly understand some of the words you're using as many people use the same words but the meanings is quite different (ie. Cocking, hinging).

So my left leg kicks in too much and this is too far away from target line?It would be more correct of me to say it kicks in too soon + it should bend a little in the backswing toward the target line

My left hip is turning too much ie. if it starts out parrallel to the target line (ie. 180 deg) during my backswing its almost 60 degrees? is this what you mean. If i reduce this turn this will effectively reduce my right hip turn as well i would imagine, and thus having a smaller coil? Exactly, and it's tied in with the left leg deal

Im a bit unsure or having trouble picturing what you mean by taking the hand inside a little more? essentially what i picture is my hand coming around my body quicker than i do now and thus the clubhead is outside longer.
Effectively if i do this then when i reach the parallel level and hence pointing in line with the target line my clubhead toe wont be facing up it will be more shut??I would rather you had the toe more up at that point, but it depends on your grip, if you have a strong grip then having it a little shut, or square to the arc is fine

And are you saying in my backswing my plane is up and across (ie. feeling of club falling behind me or backwards?) rather than around and steep up?I'm saying the sweetspot of the club is leading you around in the backswing, so that in transition, because you have no momentum built up in the 'whole' club, when you start down, in order to have the clubhead trailing you have to throw your hands out

I'll just throw a little 'big picture' at you, let me know if this sounds reasonable to you......
The Golf swing has to go in and up on the backswing. Everyones swing goes in and up....the difference is purely how much in and how much up....and when. I'm suggesting that if you take care of the in part first, the weight of the swinging club can't pull you in, it will rise up naturally as though on a rail. If you take the club back in an effort to gain width and keep the club in front of you then when it rises it will invariably pull your arms away from the ball/Target line and your club will begin to track back toward the ball/target line. What good players do, that have this backswing problem (I think it's a problem because it's an unnecessary complication) tend to lift their arms which lessens the effect of what I'm describing. There's no need to ever lift your arms even a cm if you manage the rate of the swinging club properly.

You have a lot of good things in your swing, you don't need an overhaul, you just need to understand cause and effect of the beginning of your motion. I'm sure if you do that then you will have the ability to let the rest take care of itself....up to a certain level.