PDA

View Full Version : Pups Swing

ParMaster
23rd February 2010, 06:35 PM
I've taken 2 videos of me hitting a 4i today.

I plan on posting it up here but don't know how. Anybody got some tips?

Thanks

henno
23rd February 2010, 06:37 PM
Upload them to Youtube or vimeo or something, or host them somewhere. (I'd suggest compressing them before uploading to youtube if they are good quality. Uploading a 100MB file can take a while.)

virge666
23rd February 2010, 08:00 PM
I've taken 2 videos of me hitting a 4i today.

I plan on posting it up here but don't know how. Anybody got some tips?

Thanks

how big are they ?

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 01:42 PM
Can you guys see my video?

http://www.youtube.com/user/golfer0000000000

How do I put it into the search function on youtube? Cause when I look for it I can't see it.

adlo
24th February 2010, 01:50 PM
All of a sudden your Mickelson flop shot comments don't surprise me as much.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 01:55 PM
Meaning?

I'm going down to the park today, I'll take my long driver down there, normal driver, and my 64 degree wedge to show you my flop. :)

adlo
24th February 2010, 01:57 PM
Meaning?

Hmmm, let me think. Hows about you re-read this thread in ten years and get back to me.

3oneday
24th February 2010, 02:03 PM
You seem to be striking them fine Pup. What are you hoping to achieve by posting it in here ?

I have two observations (things that may have changed since we last played)....

1) be nice to your Dad.
2) stand up a bit

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 02:05 PM
Zac wanted me to post my swing in here awhile ago.

1/ Ok. :)
2/ I have been trying to work on my posture lately. When we did that vid yesterday I though my posture was perfect, but obviously it's not after looking at it.

Johnny Canuck
24th February 2010, 02:06 PM
"200 straight as a gun barrel".

Wanker.

Johnny Canuck
24th February 2010, 02:07 PM
Nice swing though.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 02:09 PM
"200 straight as a gun barrel".

Wanker.

It's exaggeration. :mrgreen: Would have gone like 180 but it was dead straight.

Scottt
24th February 2010, 02:31 PM
It's lucky it's 4.30am and I am the only one in the newsroom because I have just picked myself up off the floor after laughing so hard I fell off my chair.

"That is soooo good!"

dan
24th February 2010, 02:36 PM
Are you allowed to hit balls at the park?

3oneday
24th February 2010, 02:39 PM
Are you allowed to hit balls at the park?

yep, especially if he doesn't say which one ;)

Johnny Canuck
24th February 2010, 02:41 PM
It's exaggeration. :mrgreen: Would have gone like 180 but it was dead straight.

You need to come play with Nuffie and Tiger.

There would be 100 compliments on the day, all by the person that just hit the shot.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
24th February 2010, 02:42 PM
Which park? I'll come join you. =)

adlo
24th February 2010, 02:43 PM
You need to come play with Nuffie and Tiger.

There would be 100 compliments on the day, all by the person that just hit the shot.

:smt038

Nailed it, melted it, gun barrel straight!

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv48/adlo_2009/Picture4-2.png

Johnny Canuck
24th February 2010, 02:53 PM
And when Pup out drives Tiger, "I must not have caught it in the middle. Must have been the toe."

Scottt
24th February 2010, 02:55 PM
I am still laughing.

"gun barrel straight... that was soooo good" :lol:

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 02:57 PM
Down in parramatta whacker. Near Doyle Ground.

It was soooooooo good Scottt. Twas the perfect shot. :)

Scottt
24th February 2010, 03:05 PM
See, you make light of it now, but I'm not buying that it was a joke or rehearsed.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 03:09 PM
Instead of trying to hit the ball better and better, I need to try and stop the really bad shots. Just need to get some consistancy in the swing.

Iain
24th February 2010, 03:12 PM
You play off 5? Shouldn't you have reasonable consistency???

Scottt

Scottt
You play off 5? Shouldn't you have reasonable consistency???

"Off", not "to". :lol:

adlo
24th February 2010, 03:15 PM
Pup is da man, leave it Scottt.

Scottt
24th February 2010, 03:18 PM
Pigjap - opd!

adlo
24th February 2010, 03:19 PM
It took me a few seconds....... :lol:

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 03:19 PM
I love it how I start a thread so you can comment and critique my swing, and it turns into another bash Pup thread.

parlyboy
24th February 2010, 03:20 PM
Hey pup, do you walk around the course or take a cart?

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 03:20 PM
Always walk, why ya ask?

parlyboy
24th February 2010, 03:26 PM
ok. Keep walking then. Developing lovely jubblies.

Seriously, good swing mate. Hit the gym and get heaps of coaching.

Chicks love fit golfers...

just
24th February 2010, 03:27 PM
This is a perfect example of why you should never post swings and ask for swing advice on an internet forum. Waste of time and effort and it leaves you open for whatever comes next.

While Pup deserves a good dollop of piss pulling for the apparent self love, it's a bit rich for some of you to have a go at his handicap. There are some pretty good rounds in there and nothing outrageously poor.

adlo
24th February 2010, 03:28 PM
I will never knock his handicap. He is a far better golfer than I will ever be.

Damn funny video though.

3oneday
24th February 2010, 03:28 PM
Yep, what just said.

Scottt
24th February 2010, 03:29 PM
I love it how I start a thread so you can comment and critique my swing, and it turns into another bash Pup thread.

Bullshit. You started it so we could see how awesome you are.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 03:30 PM
So your saying I got tits parly?? Um ok.

I don't go to the gym, you can do excercise at your own house. I'm much fitter than people think as well.

It's not self love, I just comment on my shots when vids are being taken. If it was a shit shot I'd tell you, but in this case I hit the shot exactly how I wanted to.

3oneday
24th February 2010, 03:30 PM
I thought you started it for the other young bloke ?

Chill Scottt, ffs.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 03:31 PM
Bullshit. You started it so we could see how awesome you are.

Take a long walk off a short pier.

Love,

Pup

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 03:32 PM
I thought you started it for the other young bloke ?

Chill Scottt, ffs.

Zac wanted me to post my driver swing a long time ago, but after seeing the reaction this has caused I think I'll pass.

Actually, no, I want all of you to see how ****ing awesomely long and straight I hit it. After all I am the best golfer in the world. :roll:

Isn't that right Scottt?

uahmad
24th February 2010, 03:36 PM
Pup nice swing, dont worry about the comments dude.
I also comment on the ball after I swing, if youre going to watch the video at a later time you want to know how the ball went to see if you do anything different/inconsistent with good/bad shots or in youre case gun barrel straight/curved like a dick... etc
He is a big bloke but still pretty fit as I recall.. once the hormones settle down im sure the physique will develop with consistent training..
Nice job..

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 03:37 PM
I was 10 kilios heavier when we last played Ossie.

parlyboy
24th February 2010, 03:39 PM
I never mentioned tittys, funbags or man boobs Par.

Just attempting to give you advice from a bloke who used to be there and threw it away for girls and beers.

Yeah you might cop it a bit here for posting your vid, but i think you expected that.

P.S. I cant say i have seen anyone comment on themselves in front of a camera while hitting a pill.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 03:42 PM
ok. Keep walking then. Developing lovely jubblies.

Seriously, good swing mate. Hit the gym and get heaps of coaching.

Chicks love fit golfers...

I never mentioned tittys, funbags or man boobs Par.

Just attempting to give you advice from a bloke who used to be there and threw it away for girls and beers.

Yeah you might cop it a bit here for posting your vid, but i think you expected that.

P.S. I cant say i have seen anyone comment on themselves in front of a camera while hitting a pill.

Jubblies are tits, and you said I'm developing lovely Jubblies..

I (as anyone who has played with me knows:razz:) am a very talkative person, therefore I must comment on my shot.

parlyboy
24th February 2010, 03:47 PM
Correct Pup.

I did say they were lovely.

My bad. Keep commenting on your shot.

Scottt
24th February 2010, 03:47 PM
Pup, Jamie Oliver says "lovely jubbly" or "lovely jubblies" when something he cooks is good. I think that is what parly meant.

parlyboy
24th February 2010, 03:50 PM
I just googled "Jubblies".

Jamie Oliver and cooking is the first thing that comes up.

Build a bridge Pup. Just dont comment whilst building.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 03:50 PM
Ok. I didn't know what Jubblies were so I just googled it. Thought he meant I had nice tits.

Scottt
24th February 2010, 03:54 PM
"f**k that's an awesome bridge. Christian Menn, eat your heart out!" :lol:

Sydney Hacker
24th February 2010, 03:55 PM
Ok. I didn't know what Jubblies were so I just googled it. Thought he meant I had nice tits.

That's the way I read it as well... :smt102

parlyboy
24th February 2010, 04:00 PM
I am still laughing.

"gun barrel straight... that was soooo good" :lol:

Me too. Good larf.

Great sense of humour pup.:smt038

Johnny Canuck
24th February 2010, 04:08 PM
Take a long walk off a short pier.

Love,

Pup

Walk gun-barrel straight, about 200m.

parlyboy
24th February 2010, 04:14 PM
Walk gun-barrel straight, about 200m.

Please stop.

I think a bit of wee came out form larfing...:cry:

Johnny Canuck
24th February 2010, 04:19 PM
Please stop.

I think a bit of wee came out form larfing...:cry:

Scottt, make sure you "flop" into the ocean as well.;)

kpac
24th February 2010, 04:20 PM
Scottt - you're online personality is something that i despise - if you've got nothing better to do than lay sh|t on a kid in a golf forum then i'm sorry. I've read your blog - in which you'd pass as intelligent, however some of you comments here highlight you're inability to act in anyway mature.

I've played/met this guy - he's a decent young gentleman, he is very talkative, and very enthusiastic. And given his age, could well be excused for being a little over zealous.

Webster
24th February 2010, 04:21 PM
Pup, ignore them all, they are not worthy. The only thing I can see wrong in that video is that you appear to be wearing your grandma's socks. Get rid of them....ffs

sms316
24th February 2010, 04:22 PM
These legs waxed yet?

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 05:03 PM
:lol: at almost every comment on this page.

Not yet Shaun. :mrgreen:

I took another video, hopefully you guys enjoy this one more.

:smt038 at JC.

KristianJ
24th February 2010, 05:06 PM
It's lucky it's 4.30am and I am the only one in the newsroom because I have just picked myself up off the floor after laughing so hard I fell off my chair.

"That is soooo good!"

You epic tosser.

Are you a Teen Girl Squad fan, Pup?

Johnny Canuck
24th February 2010, 05:08 PM
I'm glad you see that I am joking around Pup. I'm not always taken that way:-".

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 05:08 PM
Never heard of them.

KristianJ
24th February 2010, 05:14 PM
Don't worry, Pup...I should have put my comment into context :lol: Let me do that now:

http://www.homestarrunner.com/tgs2.html

Only that I read the "so good" and thought about how it's said in this cartoon when I did.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 05:19 PM
Ummm. :-k

:lol: WTF

How do you find something like that Kristian?

If you like that, then look up Charlie the Unicorn on youtube. Funny stuff.

KristianJ
24th February 2010, 05:22 PM
Oh, and besides the fact that the swing's still looking quite solid, nice pic quality from the camera - what type is it?

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 05:24 PM
Kodak somethingarather.

KristianJ
24th February 2010, 05:29 PM
Ummm. :-k

:lol: WTF

How do you find something like that Kristian?

If you like that, then look up Charlie the Unicorn on youtube. Funny stuff.

Random Googling can find mighty things...

And I know Charlie the Unicorn well...I once had the candy mountain song as my ringtone, actually :p

Q5im0Ssyyus

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 05:33 PM
:lol:

Anyway what do you think of it Zac?

zacdullard
24th February 2010, 05:35 PM
Looks pretty good to me.

henno
24th February 2010, 05:50 PM
Homestar Runner is the stuff of internet legend.

Pup, your swing looks pretty good mate. A bit less "violent" then what I remember it being, eventhough you did shoot even par or one-over or something at RQ. You even managed to keep both feet on the ground at impact. :razz:

zigwah
24th February 2010, 05:53 PM
ur 15 play off 5 or so, nuff said scottt just wishes he could chop it like you :)

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 05:54 PM
Homestar Runner is the stuff of internet legend.

Pup, your swing looks pretty good mate. A bit less "violent" then what I remember it being, eventhough you did shoot even par or one-over or something at RQ. You even managed to keep both feet on the ground at impact. :razz:

:razz:

Yeah but that's hitting a 4i, not a driver. :mrgreen: I'll get the other video up on here tonight (with my long drive club for you zac).

Johnny Canuck
24th February 2010, 06:01 PM
I want to see the video with the giant driver.

I eagerly anticipate "350m, straight as an arrow".

adlo
24th February 2010, 06:02 PM
Only 350m?

That reminds me, I'd better switch avatars.....

Peter
24th February 2010, 06:03 PM
JC,

You sure 350m isn't the 5 yard power fade?

Pup,

Are you working on anything in particular? If your handicap is going up as others have suggested, what is your plan to reverse that trend?

Scottt
24th February 2010, 06:12 PM
Scottt - you're online personality is something that i despise - if you've got nothing better to do than lay sh|t on a kid in a golf forum then i'm sorry. I've read your blog - in which you'd pass as intelligent, however some of you comments here highlight you're inability to act in anyway mature.

I've played/met this guy - he's a decent young gentleman, he is very talkative, and very enthusiastic. And given his age, could well be excused for being a little over zealous.

I guess I don't view someone who is in Yr11 who travels interstate without parents as a "kid".

Pup is big enough, old enough and articulate enough to look after himself. having said that, your spray is pretty bloody aggressive. A bit unecessary, IMO.

But he repeatedly big-ups himself and talks shit constantly over three forums (that I know of). I find that annoying and reserve the right to say so.

davepuppies
24th February 2010, 06:16 PM
I played with pup on sunday, and he hits a solid ball.......

At 15, he is playing off low single figures, and in turn will recieve many acolades and praise from fellow golfers....

Pup does need to learn the subtle art of modesty, but that will come with age.

Good swing Pup, i enjoy playing with with someone that can give me a run for my money off the tee with a driver! Only comment in seeing it in person, is it looks a fraction over the top from the top.... if that makes sense?

davepuppies
24th February 2010, 06:19 PM
Also as Scott has said, Pup is well advanced in terms of intellegence and articulation for his age of 15. He was discussing things that his mates at 16 will not be pondering for another 10 years..........
My only advice for Pup (or anyone who is finding themselves/maturing) is you have 2 ears, and one mouth..... use them in that proportion... (you know speech is silver, silence is gold etc)

3oneday
24th February 2010, 06:46 PM
Pup does need to learn the subtle art of modesty, but that will come with age.

i enjoy playing with with someone that can give me a run for my money off the tee with a driver!
So you're 15 too Dave ???

razaar
24th February 2010, 07:01 PM
Are we supposed to comment on the swings? My 2 cents, maybe 5 cents.;)

My wish list for this golf swing.
Get that arse more in the air and create some space for the arms.
Get a very firm grip on the ground so that when you turn in the backswing it feels like the feet and knees don't move and you can turn around an axis without swaying. This will allow the legs and hips to provide all the power in the first part of the through swing to be picked up by the torso, shoulders, arms and finally the club shaft in that sequence. That didn't happen in the swings on the vid.
Keep the arms close together past the ball position with the left palm facing skywards at waist height, as if you are doing a left hand curl.
Nice to see the up on the toes and twisting the hips under the shoulders have gone.

LarryLong
24th February 2010, 07:17 PM
Here are my comments on Pup's swing:

1. Golf shoes, pulled up socks and boardies aren't going to do your chances with the ladies any good - especially at a non-golfing establishment.
2. I like how the cameraman managed to combine the slow-motion footage of your backswing with the real-time action when you hit the ball. Seamless!
3. If I hit a ball 200m and gun-barrell straight, I'm running around high-fiving people, riding the club and yelling "Woo! Who's the man, baby". It's OK to celebrate your good shots if you do it with a little more enthusiasm.
4. For the shorter iron shots you seem to have the arms very close to the body at address and impact, but I have no idea if that's a good or bad thing.
5. After hitting the flop shot, your follow through was technically incorrect. You should have pointed at the camera and said "You've got nothin', Mickleson"

Jim
24th February 2010, 07:23 PM
Looks like young Jack Nicklaus. Let us know when you come to Melbourne.

But he repeatedly big-ups himself and talks shit constantly over three forums (that I know of). I find that annoying and reserve the right to say so.

Holy moly, talk about glass houses. Are you going for the triple crown?

adlo
24th February 2010, 07:30 PM
The flop shot was a wee bit of a let down Pup.

Scoot
24th February 2010, 07:30 PM
Nothing wrong at all with talking your self up at 15. A 30 something yr old.... that's another thing.

Get into it. If you do post another video, I want to see you yelling 'got ya ya mole!!!!', 'take that ya bitch' or 'Ohhhh that's good'.

I'm far from qualified to give advice, but the posture looks a little lazy. You know that though, and if you can shoot under par, who cares.

Nothing wrong with confidence, just make sure the ability matches it.

Scoot
24th February 2010, 07:32 PM

That is one of the funnier things I have read on any of three forums that you talk shit on Scotttttttt.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 07:33 PM
I guess I don't view someone who is in Yr11 who travels interstate without parents as a "kid".

Pup is big enough, old enough and articulate enough to look after himself. having said that, your spray is pretty bloody aggressive. A bit unecessary, IMO.

Scott I still am a kid in the sense that I am 15.

All I did was say what a very good shot that 4i was, and how pleased I was with it. And rightly so. There was NOTHING wrong with that.

How have I "talked shit" on TGF and GCA? Please enlighten me. You do have the right to say so, I'm not denying that. But you are also wrong.

If you find me that annoying, then just block my posts.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 07:35 PM
The flop shot was a wee bit of a let down Pup.

:cry:

Well you can't hit em all perfect now can ya. :mrgreen: (Well actually you can..):razz:

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 07:36 PM
Looks like young Jack Nicklaus. Let us know when you come to Melbourne.

Holy moly, talk about glass houses. Are you going for the triple crown?

I might be coming down later in the year to meet up with an architect fella. Will let you know though mate.

Scoot
24th February 2010, 07:36 PM
Sorry, I do have some advice...

Please don't start a thread about your swing 'journey', or your 'journey' to scratch, or your 'journey' to GCA hero status.

Scottt
24th February 2010, 07:40 PM
Get into it. If you do post another video, I want to see you yelling 'got ya ya mole!!!!', 'take that ya bitch' or 'Ohhhh that's good'.

What sort of video are you suggesting he post?! :shock:

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 07:41 PM

My backswing is pretty/very slow isn't it?

davepuppies
24th February 2010, 07:42 PM
So you're 15 too Dave ???

Got me........

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 07:43 PM
Dave is like 30 but he still hasn't fully developed, looks like a 15 y/o.

adlo
24th February 2010, 07:43 PM
:cry:

Well you can't hit em all perfect now can ya. :mrgreen: (Well actually you can..):razz:
Take some video of the flop shot on the course. If you can put them near the cup time after time I will be impressed. A flop shot in a park is never going to be that impressive.

Sorry, I do have some advice...

Please don't start a thread about your swing 'journey', or your 'journey' to scratch, or your 'journey' to GCA hero status.
Can I give you some advice?

Change that name, Capt'n Cupcake! It is confusing the hell outta me.

sms316
24th February 2010, 07:45 PM
What do you have in mind?

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 07:45 PM
Take some video of the flop shot on the course. If you can put them near the cup time after time I will be impressed. A flop shot in a park is never going to be that impressive.

Can I give you some advice?

Ok Adlo. When I go to NSW next I'll take a vid there (and hopefully don't fk it up)! :D

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 07:46 PM
What do you have in mind?

I really like the bag in your avatar shaun.

Is that the one I'm getting? ;)

KristianJ
24th February 2010, 07:50 PM
Most disgusting change of thread subject ever.

davepuppies
24th February 2010, 07:52 PM
Dave is like 30 but he still hasn't fully developed, looks like a 15 y/o.

I am hoping i might reach 70 kilos one day..........

Scottt
24th February 2010, 07:57 PM
One other thing I just noticed, I think you said that you call the result of each shot after it's done, but that 4i, you call it as "200 and gunbarrel straight" about a second and a half after impact.

You mustn't be getting much hang-time on those arrows... :lol:

Dazza
24th February 2010, 07:59 PM
I always commentate my shots.... A shame that most of the words cannot be repeated on Ozgolf. :p

Nice swing Pup.

adlo
24th February 2010, 07:59 PM
Scottt, you appear to be a glutton for punishment.

Pup, you didn't commentate the flop shot. It appears to be about "3m, right" to me.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 08:02 PM
Jeez your just trying to find something to argue about.

Iain
Scottt, you seem a little obsessed with Pup?

ParMaster

Pup, you didn't commentate the flop shot. It appears to be about "3m, right" to me.

I wasn't really going for anything, hence no comment. ;) Plus you can see where it lands.

Scoot
24th February 2010, 08:03 PM

Can't believe that I let that one go to print.

:oops:

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 08:04 PM
Anyway Scottt can you seriously answer my question about how I talk myself up on the other 2 forums? (Which I'm assuming are TGF and GCA.)

Scottt
24th February 2010, 08:04 PM

I just can't stop watching!

I haven't cringed this hard since

http://flowtv.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/david-brent-dance-bbc-the-office1.png

adlo
24th February 2010, 08:05 PM
Flashdance fused with MC Hammer shit.....

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 08:05 PM
Where is that from?

adlo
24th February 2010, 08:08 PM
Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!

Scottt
24th February 2010, 08:08 PM
Scottt, you seem a little obsessed with Pup?

What suggests that?

backintheswing
24th February 2010, 08:11 PM
Pup, well done on your handicap at your age. My son is 16 and off 11 and he is dropping quickly at the moment. I think you really need to work on you grip. It appears really strong to me, as in, rotated to the right. Work on that with your coach.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 08:12 PM
You won't believe how many people have said that BITS. Clearly posture and grip are something I have to work on. And also my open shoulders and one other thing that I forgot.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 08:16 PM
What suggests that?

The fact that you've posted 14 times in this thread, and not once given me some helpful advice?

Yeah, probably that.

henno
24th February 2010, 08:20 PM
Open shoulders + strong grip = straight shot? (One counter-balancing the other.)

I know nothing, but simple logic tells me that you can't cure one without fixing the other, or risk some wayward shots left or right.

Scoot
24th February 2010, 08:22 PM

What's so hard, I'm the over opinionated, under qualified ignorant .......

Oh, I see. Andy, PM sent.

MegaWatty
24th February 2010, 08:37 PM
A different view on strong grips:

The grip is probably the most talked about area of the swing in terms of instruction. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever seen someone getting a lesson who is NOT told to alter their grip somehow.

I am not a big stickler on the grip for the following reasons:

Every great player in the world has a different grip.
We all have different ways of putting our hands on the club that makes us feel comfortable.
I am a big stickler on the grip for the following reasons:

The grip has an effect on clubface positions. Too weak of a grip, with your hands turned too far to the left, will lead to an open clubface through impact, and, hence, a slice.
Although most pros are different, most of them have some form of a strong grip. They just differ on how strong, not necessarily if it's strong or weak.
So the basic idea with your grip, as far as I am concerned, is to have a strong grip. This means that your hands are turned more to the right, and underneath the club. This will make it so much easier for you to keep your clubface square throughout the entire shot. You will no longer have the tendency to roll the face open during the first three feet of your swing.

How strong your grip should be is in large part up to you. There are some great players on tour with super strong grips, like David Duval and Paul Azinger, and those with barely a strong grip at all, like Tom Weiskopf and Hale Irwin. I think a good way to measure a strong grip is to make the "V's" formed by the thumb and index finger point towards your right shoulder.

This strong grip is especially true for the longer hitters. There is Tim Herron, John Daly, Scott McCarron, and, of course, Tiger Woods. They all have a strong grip.

This is especially true with their left hand. With each of these players, you can see about three to four knuckles on their left hand. This gives them so much more leverage in terms of their wrist movement. They are able to wait to the last moment to release the club, which results in a surge of club head speed through impact.

Or maybe you should look at the shorter hitters. People like Corey Pavin and Curtis Strange are short hitters on tour and have weak grips, with their "V's" pointing toward their chin.

So to sum up this entire grip issue, let me say this. We know that there are only two reasons why someone can slice the golf ball. It's either from going over the top, or having an open clubface at impact. Coming over the top is obviously caused from swinging above the plane on your downswing. Having an open face at impact is 95% of the time caused from a weak grip.

That said, if you look at the tour players, they do the exact opposite of the two causes of a slice. Just about all of them swing underneath the plane on the downswing, and just about all of them have some form of a strong grip. (It's funny how it works that way)

So, grip it strong, hit it long, and you can't go wrong!

Iain
24th February 2010, 08:56 PM
Open shoulders + strong grip = straight shot? (One counter-balancing the other.)

I know nothing, but simple logic tells me that you can't cure one without fixing the other, or risk some wayward shots left or right.

Nope, shoulders need to be open at impact regardless...

Iain
24th February 2010, 09:03 PM
This strong grip is especially true for the longer hitters. There is Tim Herron, John Daly, Scott McCarron, and, of course, Tiger Woods. They all have a strong grip.

Tiger Woods with a strong grip?!! Are you kidding me?! He'd have to have one of the weakest grips on tour...

What suggests that?
You just seem to pounce on a lot of his posts, trying to prove him wrong or immature for some reason?

henno
24th February 2010, 09:05 PM
I assumed he meant open to the target at address/stance.

Nevermind. Nothing to see here. Move along. ;)

Yossarian
24th February 2010, 09:10 PM
Nothing to see except the rogering of tiger! I guess the rumours were true, the gate does swing both ways.

Scottt
24th February 2010, 09:12 PM
You just seem to pounce on a lot of his posts, trying to prove him wrong or immature for some reason?

I like onions.

http://www.derok.net/derok/images/classics/planet%20simpsons%20monkeys.jpg

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 09:17 PM
Maybe I do, I dunno. I just find him increasingly irritating.

When he joined another group/forum a little while back he asked me for some guidance on how to go about certain things with respect to that forum, and I sent him a pretty lengthy reply trying to help him.

Within a week of reading his posts there, it was clear that he had disregarded the lot, and in more recent times has been less than kind to me in some PMs.

The funny thing is, I can see a fair bit of myself at the same age in lots of the stuff Pup does and says. I legitimately tried to point out to him on a few occasions, not publicly, where certain things maybe weren't wise, because I am still young enough to remember doing it myself, but old enough to realise it was dumb, and it seems to have not made traction.

So maybe I am a harsh c**t picking on a poor defenceless kid.I am sure some people think I am, but there is more to it than meets thre eye, and beneath it all I don't think he is an arsehole or a bad person, I just find certain elements of the personality he portrays online grating.

And I know for a fact I am not the only one, but maybe I am the one with the least social scruples.

Ummm, where?

Johnny Canuck
24th February 2010, 09:21 PM
This thread has turned way too serious.

Somebody get the boy some manly socks and end all this.

Scottt
24th February 2010, 09:23 PM
This is where the usual bullshit about publicly discussing the content of PMs is sure to get thrown at me by the usual suspects.

I think you know where, Pup. You're a clever bloke. If you genuinely don't know what I am talking about, by all means PM me.

EDIT - Just saw your reason for edit. I'd love to have seen your post re-edit. I already called myself a c**t - there isn't much further to go from there...

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 09:23 PM
Scottt, can you comment on my swing please?

Scottt
24th February 2010, 09:30 PM
It looks like you also do lots of the things I do wrong, only better.

Seriously.

Bad posture, straightening back leg, arse not out far enough...

But if your 4i is going "200, straight as a gunbarrell", there is an element of proof in the pudding. :lol:

The last thing you need is a balding 27yo who doesn't always break 80 and wears velcro shoes telling you what to so over the ball.

Jim
24th February 2010, 09:31 PM
So maybe I am a harsh c**t picking on a poor defenceless kid.
Correct

And I know for a fact I am not the only one, but maybe I am the one with the least social scruples.
Correct again - at least with the second bit. Am I the only one finding this all a bit surreal after you went off the deep end after I questioned your own self congratulatory awesomeness.

Where is Blakey?

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 09:32 PM
It looks like you also do lots of the things I do wrong, only better.

Seriously.

Bad posture, straightening back leg, arse not out far enough...

But if your 4i is going "200, straight as a gunbarrell", there is an element of proof in the pudding. :lol:

The last thing you need is a balding 27yo who doesn't always break 80 and wears velcro shoes telling you what to so over the ball.

Don't need to be a good golfer to know your shit though bout the swing.

BTW that shot would have gone like 180, not 200. But was "SAAGB". :)

Scottt
24th February 2010, 09:39 PM
True enough, Pup, sadly I don't know shite about the swing. Check out my swing thread - I thought I was doing alright before Virge deconstructed my swing into "shit", "terrible" and "things that smell like cheese".

Yossarian
24th February 2010, 09:42 PM
What scottt means about the arse is that you need to stick it right out there like Tiger in henno's avatar. Really push back with it.

Yossarian
24th February 2010, 09:57 PM
Nothing like talk of buttsecks to kill an internet tiff. My work here is done.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 09:58 PM
Thing is it feels like I'm doing that at address. Clearly not enough though.

Scottt
24th February 2010, 10:25 PM
Pup and I have just had the most delightful cyber hug, would have made The Todd blush. As such I have edited a couple of posts, but also left quite a few taking the piss out of Pup's commentary, because I still think that's funny :lol:

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 10:37 PM

I was actually thinking when I hit that long drive to say, "Awww **** thats soooo good, must be 350 straight as anything."

:razz:

Michaeljames92
25th February 2010, 12:04 AM
Pup, I won't say you have a great swing but it obviously produces good results for you. Some things to work on:
1. straighten spine as you seem to be hunched over.
2. Do you pull the ball at all? on your shots it seems to start left. This looks like it could be stemming from open shoulders at address.
3. Having seen the video of the 4 iron, your ball position looks like it is inline with your front foot. This too far forward position promotes open shoulders and a fade, so perhaps push it back in your stance a little.

I suggest to frequently video your swing to make sure you are doing what you want to do and not practice the wrong positions.

Peter
25th February 2010, 06:04 PM
My only advice for Pup (or anyone who is finding themselves/maturing) is you have 2 ears, and one mouth..... use them in that proportion... (you know speech is silver, silence is gold etc)
I prefer this version (if I can manage to attach it).

ParMaster
25th February 2010, 06:35 PM
Haha classic.

Scoot
25th February 2010, 07:09 PM
Where has this post gone?

Originally Posted by Scottt http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/images/ozgolf/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?p=449706#post449706)
Maybe I do, I dunno. I just find him increasingly irritating.

When he joined another group/forum a little while back he asked me for some guidance on how to go about certain things with respect to that forum, and I sent him a pretty lengthy reply trying to help him.

Within a week of reading his posts there, it was clear that he had disregarded the lot, and in more recent times has been less than kind to me in some PMs.

The funny thing is, I can see a fair bit of myself at the same age in lots of the stuff Pup does and says. I legitimately tried to point out to him on a few occasions, not publicly, where certain things maybe weren't wise, because I am still young enough to remember doing it myself, but old enough to realise it was dumb, and it seems to have not made traction.

So maybe I am a harsh c**t picking on a poor defenceless kid.I am sure some people think I am, but there is more to it than meets thre eye, and beneath it all I don't think he is an arsehole or a bad person, I just find certain elements of the personality he portrays online grating.

FFS, I went to all that trouble to change my name, you should have just changed yours to Yoda.

How does the average Scott (or Joe) go about getting your guidance?

P.S. Did you delete this post Scottttt?

ParMaster
25th February 2010, 07:36 PM
We have both reconciled our ways.

;)

Iain
25th February 2010, 08:17 PM
For how long?!! :lol:

ParMaster
25th February 2010, 08:20 PM
We agreed on the time period of a month Iain.

;)

Scottt
1st March 2010, 02:28 AM
I thought it was "until the end of the month"?! FFS...

ParMaster
1st March 2010, 06:44 AM
Here you go again..

;)

KristianJ
1st March 2010, 09:13 PM
Hour's up, Pup.

ParMaster
1st March 2010, 09:23 PM
And the video is up as well.

Gotta love youtube, "1 hour 30 to go", 2 hours later...

BTW I got my dad to comment on the shots instead of me. So hopefully all you guys don't think I'm so egotistical..

Eag's
1st March 2010, 09:28 PM
You have obviously let your old man in on the "straight as a gun barrel" commentary. I thought your 3 iron looked like a giant pull?

Dazza
1st March 2010, 09:30 PM
I thought your 3 iron looked like a giant pull?

Certainly looked that way to me.
I thought I was the only one that could manage to pull those off successfully!

ParMaster
1st March 2010, 09:32 PM
It was a massive pull but came back online like 5-10 metres left I think. (I say I think because I'm not 100% sure.)

After seeing the video I said it was 2 metres left.

ParMaster
1st March 2010, 09:34 PM
You have obviously let your old man in on the "straight as a gun barrel" commentary. I thought your 3 iron looked like a giant pull?

That was the idea. :lol:

Eag's
1st March 2010, 09:37 PM
It was a massive pull but came back online like 5-10 metres left I think. (I say I think because I'm not 100% sure.)

Not trying to be a smart arse, but how the hell does a pull come back left to right?? I have been playing this game a long time and have never seen a big pull do that unless your playing in a 50 knot left to right breeze :shock:

Iain
1st March 2010, 09:39 PM
Big out to in cut....

henno
1st March 2010, 09:42 PM
The 3-iron seemed a bit rank, but the driver looked nice. Hard to tell with the 6-iron because of the angle; it sounded a bit skinny but the swing looked good.

ParMaster
1st March 2010, 09:51 PM
Not trying to be a smart arse, but how the hell does a pull come back left to right?? I have been playing this game a long time and have never seen a big pull do that unless your playing in a 50 knot left to right breeze :shock:

Really? I cut across the ball. So I hit it out to the left and by coming over the top I think puts left to right spin on it. Hence the fade.

I'm not really sure how it works but the basis of my golf game is almost entirely built around that. Coming over the top and pulling it to the left of the target, and then having it fade back.

Razaar can shed some light..

ParMaster
1st March 2010, 09:53 PM
The 3-iron seemed a bit rank, but the driver looked nice. Hard to tell with the 6-iron because of the angle; it sounded a bit skinny but the swing looked good.

I probably should have said where my shots went so I know what happened when reviewing the vid..:roll:

6i was good, and can tell by my body language. But the 3i looked left, so you'd be going off what I/he said in the video (probably bullshit). :mrgreen:

Eag's
1st March 2010, 09:54 PM
Not bagging your swing mate just commenting on the ones you put up.
I would kill to have a shape I could consistently rely on :roll:

ParMaster
1st March 2010, 09:55 PM
I didn't think you were bagging it at all.

Just confuses me that you've never seen a pull cut in your life?

Eag's
1st March 2010, 09:58 PM
Yeah maybe I was basing it on when we played you seemed to hit it mostly straight or with a little draw that day?
Anyways it is working for you so stick with it. :)

henno
1st March 2010, 09:58 PM
To Eag's, anything that goes left to right is a mystery. ;)

Eag's
1st March 2010, 09:59 PM
:lol: :smt038

Daves
1st March 2010, 10:00 PM
To Eag's, anything that goes left to right is a mystery. ;)

Not true. he was hitting a few left to right on Friday, very high, very right.:lol:

henno
1st March 2010, 10:01 PM
For it to go high and right he must have started the ball even higher and even righter! :razz:

ParMaster
1st March 2010, 10:05 PM
Yeah maybe I was basing it on when we played you seemed to hit it mostly straight or with a little draw that day?
Anyways it is working for you so stick with it. :)

I don't remember all the ways my ball went that day, but almost always this is what my shots are.

Driver = Fade/Draw (pretty workable).
3 wood = Fade/Draw
Hybrid = Whatever. (Not that great with controlling it.)
Irons = Almost always a fade, unless a really have to hit a draw.
Wedge = Pull cut.
Putter = Massive slice. ;)

Anyway, in the video it looks to me like I need a little more knee bend and to turn the left foot out a little. You guys agree?

Daves
1st March 2010, 10:18 PM
Pup,

I can only compare to some model swings like Ogilvy and Allenby;

http://www.pgatour.com/swingplex/02/20/46/index.html

http://www.pgatour.com/swingplex/01/08/85/index.html

The big difference that I see is what the lower half is doing.

Johnny Canuck
1st March 2010, 10:39 PM
Video of the skipping?

ParMaster
2nd March 2010, 06:34 AM
I have taken a video of my skipping before but our camera can't keep up with the speed..

razaar
2nd March 2010, 07:22 AM
I don't remember all the ways my ball went that day, but almost always this is what my shots are.

Driver = Fade/Draw (pretty workable).
3 wood = Fade/Draw
Hybrid = Whatever. (Not that great with controlling it.)
Irons = Almost always a fade, unless a really have to hit a draw.
Wedge = Pull cut.
Putter = Massive slice. ;)

Anyway, in the video it looks to me like I need a little more knee bend and to turn the left foot out a little. You guys agree?

You can set up in address anyway you want, depends on what swing plane you want your clubhead to follow. Your present setup is for the most upright plane possible in a golf swing (similar to Jim Furyk's). The big disadvantage with very upright swings IMO, is rerouting the clubhead for an inside attack because the hips and legs are in the way. Juryk does it by sliding the knees and clearing the hips aheads of the hands.

Wisdom would suggest that the simpleist swing has the address position and posture to be very close to our ideal impact position. Why not try out a few impact positions that you feel comfortable with and will allow an inside attack on the ball and make that your address position.

Your present swing plane is very prone to an outside to in swing path.

virge666
2nd March 2010, 08:23 AM
Pup,

What does this image tell you ?

And Raz is right about setup - you can bend your knees or not... it is far easier to focus on the fundementals and see what happens to the other positions.

Eag's
2nd March 2010, 08:26 AM
"200m straight as a gun barrel"? :razz:

Lucasto23
2nd March 2010, 12:13 PM
shit, i sort of swing it like you :(

ParMaster
2nd March 2010, 12:27 PM
Pup,

And Raz is right about setup - you can bend your knees or not... it is far easier to focus on the fundementals and see what happens to the other positions.

That I need to focus on extending more through impact. My left arm is bent like crazy.

Webster
2nd March 2010, 12:28 PM
Pup,

He is still wearing his grandma's socks?

virge666
2nd March 2010, 12:32 PM
That I need to focus on extending more through impact. My left arm is bent like crazy.

The bent left arm is not caused by a lack of extension.

Compare your shoulders to your tour players

Compare your legs to your tour players.

So what is missing ?

ParMaster
2nd March 2010, 12:32 PM
What do you mean by my dress style Jack? I had to wear that stuff, to 'represent' my school.

ParMaster
2nd March 2010, 12:35 PM
The bent left arm is not caused by a lack of extension.

Compare your shoulders to your tour players

Compare your legs to your tour players.

So what is missing ?

So what is the bent left arm caused by?

I'll look at others swings now Virge and let you know.

virge666
2nd March 2010, 12:39 PM
So what is the bent left arm caused by?

I'll look at others swings now Virge and let you know.

The upper body has stopped turning through the ball, you then hold the club open to stop it hooking.

Hence the bent left arm and wrist.

The hands and arms are very rarely ever the problem, and I mean very rarely.

ParMaster
18th April 2010, 09:41 PM
Ok. I think this is sort of relevent to this thread.

I now do not tee up my drivers. I do what Laura Davies does which is take a divot with a wedge, smashing up the grass, and putting the ball on the top of that.

It works for me and I have not lost distance (if I have, I haven't noticed it, so it's obviously not much).

Am I insane?

Johnny Canuck
18th April 2010, 09:44 PM
Insane no. Retarded? Mildly.

zacdullard
18th April 2010, 10:27 PM
Why make it harder for yourself?

dan
18th April 2010, 10:30 PM
You got the slowest take away i've ever seen. I briefly thought the vid was in slow mo.

markTHEblake
18th April 2010, 10:47 PM
I thought you were going to show us a video of the old swing one day, the one with your feet off the ground, head twisted backwards, and a dislocated shoulder?

LarryLong
19th April 2010, 06:56 AM
I now do not tee up my drivers. I do what Laura Davies does which is take a divot with a wedge, smashing up the grass, and putting the ball on the top of that.

Why?

Seems like a silly thing to do, given that tees allow you to put the ball at exactly the height you want and can be used without damaging the tee box or stuffing around with wedges.

What do you actually gain from this (other than a bit of radical alt-golfer coolness, of course :) )?

ParMaster
19th April 2010, 08:36 AM
Much more accuracy Larry. Down at the Aussie Junior I was hooking all my tee shots, and then when I tried not to do that, I would slice it way right. Hitting it off the deck doesn't allow me to get under the ball, so the ball is coming out much lower (which I like), and it has stopped the ball moving around as much.

I've been told that Dan. But that's just me. :)

Grunt
19th April 2010, 08:38 AM
Seems like a placebo to me Pup. If it was soo good more people would be doing it. Can't remember a seeing a single professional doing it or recommending it.

dan
19th April 2010, 08:41 AM
Laura only does it because she's too fat and lazy to bend over.

3oneday
19th April 2010, 08:44 AM
I would say it'd help with concentration too.

ParMaster
19th April 2010, 08:49 AM
Grunt, I agree with you. I just feel much more comfortable over the ball, and therefore it's easier for me to make a confident swing.

sms316
19th April 2010, 08:51 AM
Seems like a placebo to me Pup. If it was soo good more people would be doing it. Can't remember a seeing a single professional doing it or recommending it.

Woody Austin does it when he wants to take the left side out of play. Have to admit, on the occasions when I have hit driver off the deck I haven't pulled too many.

ParMaster
19th April 2010, 08:58 AM
I find it very hard to miss my tee shots left as well Shaun.

kpac
19th April 2010, 09:17 AM
don't be a git pup - stick it on a tee pal.
a) it'll stop you looking like a twat
b) you'd be better off learning to hit it more constantly off a tee than a short term confidence issue you're fixing by hitting it off the deck.
c) refer to 'a'

ParMaster
19th April 2010, 09:40 AM
:) Point taken.

What's a 'git' anyway? Haven't heard that one before.

Daves
19th April 2010, 09:47 AM
:) Point taken.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/git

kpac
19th April 2010, 10:20 AM

You've met me - it's about as complimentary as this dry 'kent' gets. ;)

You're good enough to hit it off a tee mate. lol

LarryLong
19th April 2010, 10:33 AM
Much more accuracy Larry. Down at the Aussie Junior I was hooking all my tee shots, and then when I tried not to do that, I would slice it way right. Hitting it off the deck doesn't allow me to get under the ball, so the ball is coming out much lower (which I like), and it has stopped the ball moving around as much.

I guess you could always push your tee further into the ground and achieve the same effect. :P

Along the lines of what the other people are saying. A player of your ability shouldn't be trying to convince himself that mental props like that are beneficial to his game, or worse still, required. It shouldn't matter to you whether the ball is on a tee, a tuft of grass, or a hastily-arranged pile of sand. If it's at the right height, your swing is good enough to hit it well regardless.

Does hitting it off the deck affect the distance? I've always teed up my driver low-ish compared with many of the choppers I play with, and I've often wondered.

Yossarian
19th April 2010, 12:11 PM
Why not just tee it lower? Or swing straighter.

3oneday
19th April 2010, 12:17 PM
The kid is 16 ? and plays off 2, does it really matter ? ;)

He's proven he can play, how many rounds of the 4 recent ones did you tee it on the grass ?

Yossarian
19th April 2010, 12:19 PM
Me?

3oneday
19th April 2010, 12:21 PM
Me?

Oh ? You've tried it too then ? Excellent, how did it work for you ?????

;)

Yossarian
19th April 2010, 12:54 PM
I haven't and it wouldn't for me IMO I don't like a dirty driver.

henno
19th April 2010, 01:08 PM
Golfer69's hole-in-one was a hybrid off the deck with no tee.

Grunt
19th April 2010, 01:17 PM
Timely story in Golf Australia

Common Mistake: Setting the tee to low

Solution: The ideal height of the tee allows for half of the ball to be above the top edge of the clubface. Note how the equator of the ball here is in line with the crown of the driver. Teeing the ball low, the ball on the left encourages a downstrike, which you dont want.

3oneday
19th April 2010, 01:20 PM
I haven't and it wouldn't for me IMO I don't like a dirty driver.

yes, I can relate to resale ;)

razaar
19th April 2010, 01:42 PM
Laura only does it because she's too fat and lazy to bend over.

Laura does it because she has got talent and because of her gender. Who understands what women think about and why they do some of the things they do. Pup because.....:smt024

Peter
19th April 2010, 02:49 PM
Grunt,

That magazine also said that Adam Scott's right to left shot shape goes further because of top spin (previous edition).

Scottt
19th April 2010, 04:49 PM
What will happen when you play somewhere where the tees are too hard (or crumbly) to do it?

Grunt
19th April 2010, 04:53 PM
What will happen when you play somewhere where the tees are too hard (or crumbly) to do it?
Or when you play with a member that treats his course with a little more care.

ps. do you refill your divot after playing like this. I am guessing green keepers would not be too impressed with their tees being dug up.

haysey
19th April 2010, 05:28 PM
You got the slowest take away i've ever seen. I briefly thought the vid was in slow mo.

There's some video of Courty's swing floating around somewhere. Slowest. takeaway. ever

:twisted:

ParMaster
19th April 2010, 08:29 PM
Scott,

That is a problem yes. It's much tougher to do at NSW than at Castle Hill, so I will encounter that problem sooner or later.

Grunt,

I don't do massive divots, because I'd be pissed off as well if I were a member. I don't refill my divot, because all I do is raise a bit of grass, and I tap it down well and truly afterwards.

Scottt
19th April 2010, 10:01 PM
I used to do what Pup does when I was playing par threes and using a 3, 4 or 5 iron.

If you catch it clean there is no divot to speak of, and as Pup says, if you tap it down you'd be hard-pressed to see there was ever anything different.

I'd just be wary of relying on something that won't be an options always. Work on your swing rather than masking its flaws, I reckon. Especially as a would-be pro.

markTHEblake
19th April 2010, 10:04 PM

Bobby Clampett, Hawaiian Open one year when it was very windy, used his driver without tees to keep the ball down. I recall that the article referred to him as the "irrepressible Bobby clampett" and as this was in his 'heyday' I would say that this was long before your time :-)

don't be a git pup - stick it on a tee pal.
a) it'll stop you looking like a twat

No it wont!

Nevertheless, there may well be a technical benefit in hitting the ball off the deck like Pup is doing if the clubhead catches the ground just before the ball, but I expect very few people would know what that is. Does Pup know ( i bet Raz does)? He may well be smarter than we think.

Bushka
20th April 2010, 08:49 AM
The technical benefit would be he can spin his driver back 15 feet on 250 mtr par 3's?

3oneday
20th April 2010, 09:30 AM
if the clubhead catches the ground just before the ball, but I expect very few people would know what that is.

The technical benefit would be he can spin his driver back 15 feet on 250 mtr par 3's?
Technically impossible with that scenario ;)

I've only just started hitting the 420 and 460cc drivers off the deck over the past few months, the perfect flight and roll comes exactly as MTB described. It was also something I was taught when drivers were the size of the modern day 3 wood too ;)

virge666
20th April 2010, 10:21 AM
3 is 100% right . . . the main problem with hitting a driver off the deck is the lack of loft, have a look at your driver face, there i more loft on the top of the club than on the bottom. The less loft you have - the more side spin you have.

Because of the length of the driver and sole design - you are hitting a "thin shot" and it is pretty hard to hook a think shot.

This wasn't an issue when drivers were heavy, shallow and 200cc.

markTHEblake
20th April 2010, 07:05 PM

not even close.

TheNuclearOne
20th April 2010, 07:51 PM
Getting a flyer lie result with the driver and extra rollout, low spin and wind penetration.

virge666
20th April 2010, 08:05 PM
Getting a flyer lie result with the driver and extra rollout, low spin and wind penetration.

Ummm ... No.

You need loft for a flyer, otherwise the ball won't have enough spin to get into the air.

As I said - you are hitting it thin, blading a driver to be exact.

haysey
20th April 2010, 08:08 PM
Tomo is really good at hitting his driver off the deck. Quite frankly, it pisses me off.

Yossarian
20th April 2010, 08:10 PM
Would he tee it up on the fairway if he was allowed to though?

TheNuclearOne
20th April 2010, 08:13 PM
Ummm ... No.

You need loft for a flyer, otherwise the ball won't have enough spin to get into the air.

As I said - you are hitting it thin, blading a driver to be exact.

Remember Pup is smacking up a tuft of grass so he's probably not THAT thin on it. He said he hasn't lost distance so i'd think he might be somewhere around the sweetspot.

haysey
20th April 2010, 08:14 PM
Would he tee it up on the fairway if he was allowed to though?

Probly. Annoying thing is he doesn't need too.

razaar
20th April 2010, 10:01 PM
Remember Pup is smacking up a tuft of grass so he's probably not THAT thin on it. He said he hasn't lost distance so i'd think he might be somewhere around the sweetspot.
You are being kind Virge...there is no way a driver hit off the turf will give a higher or match the "smash factor" of a ball hit from a tee peg. The smash factor is the ratio of ball speed to clubhead speed i.e. 1.4 to 1. Pup talks nonsense.

virge666
20th April 2010, 10:20 PM

Bollocks :)

It doesn't matter if it is a small tee, a tuft of grass or nothing at all. The huge roll and sole design mean that you are nowhere near the sweetspot which is just above the centerline of face of the driver. You are missing out on spin, the COR effect and all the cool forgiveness that a modern designed head has.

In return for losing the above, you gain less spin and less loft which means less accuracy and distance. You also lose the right to left shot as you cant get the clubhead inside the ball.

You are being kind Virge...there is no way a driver hit off the turf will give a higher or match the "smash factor" of a ball hit from a tee peg. The smash factor is the ratio of ball speed to clubhead speed i.e. 1.4 to 1. Pup talks nonsense.

Of course you can't - the idea is just ludercrous. As i said - you are just hitting a thin driver

Moe Norman
20th April 2010, 10:22 PM
I rarely use a tee on Par 3's when using irons, as it does take the random hook out of play for me also. I only tee it up when I've got 100% confidence in my swing that day and am flushing my irons.

Divot isn't an issue, as I take huge divots off a tee as well.

TheNuclearOne
20th April 2010, 10:40 PM
Bollocks :)

It doesn't matter if it is a small tee, a tuft of grass or nothing at all. The huge roll and sole design mean that you are nowhere near the sweetspot which is just above the centerline of face of the driver. You are missing out on spin, the COR effect and all the cool forgiveness that a modern designed head has.

In return for losing the above, you gain less spin and less loft which means less accuracy and distance. You also lose the right to left shot as you cant get the clubhead inside the ball.

A few comments

Pup is using a driver of 400cc which isn't as hard as a 460cc off the deck. Just last saturday i watched a low B grader kill his 905T (same cc as Pup incidentally) 3 times out of 3 off quite tight FW lies. He was pin high on one substancial par 5. He got plenty of height and carry and massive distance.

The vertical gear effect will help to an extent with solid shots (Pup says he lost no distance so it must be solid contact) raising spin.

If Pup spins his driver substancially too much off a tee peg ( many people do) he could well get closer to ideal spin rates off his chunk of turf given you said yourself you will lose spin. This could offset hitting a little low on the face and explain his claim of no perceived loss of distance.

Where exactly on the face are you making contact Pup?

ParMaster
21st April 2010, 12:12 PM
Probably 1/3 shots I'm hitting it out of the middle, so 2/3 would most likely be below the sweet spot.

And virge, I haven't lost any distance. I repeat, I haven't lost any distance. I can still hit a draw off the deck, and I am not having ANY issues with sidespin.

And let me say this, when I played at Castle Hill 2 days ago, I hit every single fairway when I put the ball off the ground. I put it on a tee twice and I pull hooked both of them. I know it's not the tee causing the hook, but I just hit the driver so much better off the deck.

Johnny Canuck
21st April 2010, 12:53 PM
Time to put on your aunt's socks and get your dad out with the video camera again. This needs to be seen.

To me it sounds like a quick fix for something that isn't working properly, like a draw biased driver.

virge666
21st April 2010, 01:19 PM
And let me say this, when I played at Castle Hill 2 days ago, I hit every single fairway when I put the ball off the ground. I put it on a tee twice and I pull hooked both of them. I know it's not the tee causing the hook, but I just hit the driver so much better off the deck.

So what that tells me is that you are fixing a steep, flippy swing by teeing it lower. If it gets the job done - go for it. I am a big fan of not fixing something that works. 400cc vs 460cc means bugger all, they usually have very similar bulge and roll.

As long as you understand why it works, then go for it.

Personally, I prefer to use the club and especially the ball how it was designed. it is way more forgiving and the ball goes further.

Bushka
21st April 2010, 01:52 PM
not even close.
can't believe you ho's thought i was serious

ParMaster
21st April 2010, 02:50 PM
Time to put on your aunt's socks and get your dad out with the video camera again. This needs to be seen.

To me it sounds like a quick fix for something that isn't working properly, like a draw biased driver.

It is a quick fix mate. I doubt I'll be doing this forever, but for now, it is working really well.

I might get out the camera again today, but my back isn't in the mood for it.

Virge,

I plan on getting some lessons starting next week as I am taking my golf much more seriously now. As JC said, it is a quick fix. But it is working really well for me so far, so it could become part of my normal routine. Who knows..?

Also I'll add that I can control the shot shape by the height that I take the divot. When it's low I can hit an easy fade, whereas when it's high I can hit a draw (which is tougher to do that a fade). I know you can do that with a tee as well, but I just feel so much more confident by hitting it off the deck.

Johnny Canuck
21st April 2010, 04:25 PM
I still think your ****ed, but I understand where you are coming from. I never miss my 3 wood off the deck. Off the tee it is different. However, I now tee the 3 wood almost on the grass to create "the perfect lie" and it works wonders. The mental side of golf coming into play.

ParMaster
21st April 2010, 04:29 PM
What do you mean by "I still think your ****ed" ?

I also put my woods off the ground. Currently, I don't tee any of my shots. :)

TheNuclearOne
21st April 2010, 04:30 PM
Probably 1/3 shots I'm hitting it out of the middle, so 2/3 would most likely be below the sweet spot.

And virge, I haven't lost any distance. I repeat, I haven't lost any distance. I can still hit a draw off the deck, and I am not having ANY issues with sidespin.

So you are more accurate with no loss of distance. Little wonder you like it lol. If it works do it until it doesn't.

ParMaster
21st April 2010, 04:47 PM
I have gained at least 50 metres in distance since changing to this method, so I don't care what you say TNO.

;)

TheNuclearOne
21st April 2010, 04:57 PM
I might have lost distance, but I cannot NOTICE any distance change. So if I have lost any, it would be pretty minor.

Don't go soft one me now, stick to your guns! :lol:

Webster
21st April 2010, 05:05 PM
Pup, just hit the ****en thing properly. Leave the fancy shit to the fat gambling pisshead lesbians

ParMaster
21st April 2010, 05:05 PM
Ok, updated.

TheNuclearOne
21st April 2010, 05:08 PM
I have gained at least 50 metres in distance since changing to this method, so I don't care what you say TNO.

;)

Like i've been knocking the idea ;)

razaar
21st April 2010, 05:09 PM

Driver face is 52mm high, the ball has a dia. of 42 mm so the strike on the equator of the ball is below the bulge on clean contact. If the contact is ball and ground the smash factor will be lower. Makes no sense unless it is an accuracy issue to stop a pull-hook. The draw shape will more than likely be the gear effect from contact towards the toe on the club-face.
With such an upright swing a pull hook is on the cards most of the time unless the plane flattens out on the down-swing to allow an inside attack on the through-swing. Jim Furyk and Fred Couples, both very upright back-swings, lower the plane on their forward-swings.;)