PDA

View Full Version : WA: Hartfield Pro-Am - May 14

simmsy
20th February 2010, 01:26 PM
Anyone interested in entering this comp?

PRO AM 2010
The West Coast Wines & Ronald McDonald House Pro Am is scheduled for
Friday 14th May 2010
and promises to be an outstanding event with groups made up of 3 players and a Pro.
We have reduced the nomination fees for both the AM & PM tee times.
AM players ($45.00 each) will have drinks and a barbecue on completion of the round whilst PM players ($100.00 each) will have drinks on course and a table service meal during presentations.
There will be two hole-in-one prizes for amateurs with a Toyota Sedan and a Yamaha Golf Cart with full accessories as the prizes.
A limited ticket raffle will be conducted in conjunction with the Pro Am and will be drawn following the presentations. The prize is for 2 people and is 5 nights in Bali staying at the 5 star Bali Conrad including breakfast and 2 Ocean Flow 90 minute spa treatments. There are 2 rounds of golf at the Bali Golf & Country Club including buggy, caddy and practice balls. Airfares and all transfer costs are all inclusive in this exceptional raffle.
Whilst we expect the booking sheet to fill very quickly, nominations will be restricted to members for the opening 2 weeks which we anticipate will be early in March.

adlo
20th February 2010, 07:21 PM
Easy goat track.

MegaWatty
20th February 2010, 07:29 PM
Easy goat track when I've got a Pro to carry me.
:D

adlo
20th February 2010, 07:34 PM
True.

Great prizes. It's a shame I'll be no chance to start this one.

MegaWatty
20th February 2010, 07:44 PM
I'm a good chance to play.

Who knows the rules on HIO prizes and Amateur Status these days? I'd heard they've changed them to be able to accept prizes.

EDIT: The USGA has relaxed the rules, but the R and A haven't. In fact, they go as far as stating the following:

The Amateur Status Committee of The R&A takes the view that an amateur golfer should not be put in the awkward and embarrassing position of having to make such a choice. Therefore, the Committee is strongly opposed to the offering of excessive prizes for holes-in-one.

The document resides here http://www2.randa.org/rules/amateur/PDF/HoleinonePDF.pdf

SeldomEagles
20th February 2010, 07:53 PM
Big interested

Zeusgolf
20th February 2010, 10:42 PM
Yep I'm interested..

Can we get a couple of groups going ???

SeldomEagles
21st February 2010, 01:25 AM
The randa ruling is clear cut to me, makes the HIO prizes a moot point. I just want to play to watch how a pro tackles my home goat track mainly to feel even more insignificant about my own game.

MegaWatty
21st February 2010, 01:29 AM
That's the best bit about playing with the big boys. You see where to hit the ball. Best experience in golf.

SeldomEagles
21st February 2010, 01:31 AM
Yeah even if this thread hadn't come up I was playing it anyway. Great learning experience

simmsy
21st February 2010, 01:53 AM
True.

Great prizes. It's a shame I'll be no chance to start this one.

you weren't invited.

adlo
21st February 2010, 03:48 AM
I find the first sentence of post #1 helpful, grumpy old man.

Veefore
21st February 2010, 08:59 AM
Last year it was us telling the pro where to hit. It was also especially enjoyable taking the money on our last hole (7th) with him and I left of the green by the path. My putt went in for birdie, he chipped and three putted to not only lose the money but also to finish out of the money in the overall.

Who cares what the R And A ruling is. 1 year (or 2 can't remember which) where you can't play in any open comps as a amateur. Pfft. You can still play in all of your regular club comps and still maintain your regular golflink handicap.

MegaWatty
21st February 2010, 11:36 AM
New car it is then. ;)

simmsy
21st February 2010, 12:14 PM
;)
I find the first sentence of post #1 helpful, grumpy old man.

yeah, that's why you always rip it a new one when you play there!

admit it mate, you don't like Hartfield cause you think it is unfair to bad shots that miss the green,
got news for you, hit the greens instead of those fat pulls that you keep comin out with and you will find that the game is alot easier.

Johnny Canuck
21st February 2010, 12:19 PM
Them's fighin' words.

I smell a big money skins game in the future.

simmsy
21st February 2010, 12:46 PM
He'll try and use his C-grade coffee beans as a bargaining chip!

Maybe a gentlemens bet down south Adlo - say 1doz new retail bought Z-stars.

MegaWatty
21st February 2010, 12:48 PM
Surely it's got to be held at HF...

idgolfguy
21st February 2010, 02:01 PM
Pencil for May 14 if I can clear work for that day.

Yossarian
21st February 2010, 02:53 PM
I can handle missing a green and being punished but when you are only missing by a metre or so then it is a bit painful. We don't all have tourfit irons to help us hit greens OMS. Has anyone else noticed how close OMS is to PMS?

adlo
21st February 2010, 05:58 PM
;)

yeah, that's why you always rip it a new one when you play there!

admit it mate, you don't like Hartfield cause you think it is unfair to bad shots that miss the green,
got news for you, hit the greens instead of those fat pulls that you keep comin out with and you will find that the game is alot easier.
This coming from MR Lefts? Interesting.

Yeah, the greenside areas at Hartfield let it down in a big way. As does the Kikiyu and the lack of chainsaw use.

However, that main negative has to be the members.

He'll try and use his C-grade coffee beans as a bargaining chip!

Maybe a gentlemens bet down south Adlo - say 1doz new retail bought Z-stars.
Proof you are delusional.

A side bet? Hey, why not, it's on donkey kong.

simmsy
21st February 2010, 06:49 PM
This coming from MR Lefts? Interesting.

Yeah, the greenside areas at Hartfield let it down in a big way. As does the Kikiyu and the lack of chainsaw use.

this is getting a little boring, but let me just say that golf isn't meant to be easy

However, that main negative has to be the members.

Proof you are delusional.

A side bet? Hey, why not, it's on donkey kong.

is that directed at me or the half dozen other ozgolf members that are members there?
;)

adlo
21st February 2010, 06:54 PM
I didn't bring up the greenside areas mate, you did.

However, the Hartfield members drink the Kool Aid, big time. Always on about it being the best conditioned course in Perth. That is a load of shite.

I give you shit about it because you are....well..... you. :mrgreen:

It's a decent members track. I wouldn't join there. That is all I am saying.

Um, the last comment was directed at all of you. You are overrunning the place!!

simmsy
21st February 2010, 07:16 PM
we're trying to over run the place! we got the Zues we might get the canuck, you're too country for us and Yoss, well, is Yoss. We would love to have IDG down our way but no chance i fear and the board voted not to allow TF in last year even though he has yet to even show any interest in joining there.

you always bring up green side areas and trees where ever we play. if it ain't green and fluffy you pick up your bucket and spade and go home.:razz:

As far as conditioning goes, ky courses can never be put on the same rung as couch imo, but i like to think HF conditioning of the fw and greens are often in the better bracket of courses in perth, right atm it would be close to one of the best. You know i am no great putter but this morning i had 6 - 1 putts none from inside 5ft, the greens are truly pure and they have grown all the 2nd cut a few inches longer and narrowed the fw some, it looks an absolute treat. I don't think anyone can really say one course is better conditioned than all other courses in perth all year round.

I don't think i drink too much koolaid at HF, except when giving you the sh!ts - there are much better courses around, but value for money with quality and toughness of course and without the princess quality that many clubs are renowned for i wouldn't swap clubs for anything.

MegaWatty
21st February 2010, 07:19 PM
Gawd....It gets a little old!

BTW, The Lakes is a kike course.

adlo
21st February 2010, 07:23 PM
Will the canuck join? I'd say 90% no.

As a 7 day member with joining fee and capital works levy Hartfield becomes a lot worse value that it originally appears. However, when work is paying, who cares, right!?!

Yeah, I agree, Hartfield condition is above average, and consistent. That's about it. After playing Bunbury again last week and 3 rounds at the now amazing conditioned Kennedy Bay, it reminded me that Hartfield is a bit overrated by the blokes on this forum.

IMO, and I know this annoys you, Hartfield will never be a top course in my books because of those greenside areas. Last time I played there with Yoss I saw a few of his approach shots miss by less than a metre only to be kicked away by mounds into either wood chips or gravel. The rest of the course is nice.

Megawatty, it is also a major criticism of The Lakes. Devils grass. Simmsy started it this time, I just pointed out the obvious in post #2.

simmsy
21st February 2010, 07:24 PM
Gawd....It gets a little old!

BTW, The Lakes is a kike course.

that's me I'm done, never to comment on the quality or otherwise of Hartfield on this site.

thank you all. by for now.;)

adlo
21st February 2010, 07:25 PM
You can't even spell. Such is the mental capacity of Hartfield members!

You just don't want to admit flaws because your pro is going to read this thread.

I am just waiting for the wrath of Veefore now :roll:

Veefore
22nd February 2010, 12:05 AM
Last time I played there with Yoss I saw a few of his approach shots miss by less than a metre only to be kicked away by mounds into either wood chips or gravel. The rest of the course is nice.

I know you are exaggerating to bait but nowhere on that course will a 1m miss give you a lie in woodchips or gravel. It needs to be a pretty terrible shot to end up in woodchips, and a fncken terrible shot to end up on gravel.

The best part about Hartfield is that it punishes shit golf and especially shit golfers. :lol:

Zeusgolf
22nd February 2010, 12:35 AM
I know you are exaggerating to bait but nowhere on that course will a 1m miss give you a lie in woodchips or gravel. It needs to be a pretty terrible shot to end up in woodchips, and a fncken terrible shot to end up on gravel.

The best part about Hartfield is that it punishes shit golf and especially shit golfers. :lol:

Yep.....

I missed nearly every green today and didn't end up in any woodchips......

Apart from the type of grass and elevation changes I can hardly see a difference in style between Bunbury and Hartfield especially in regards to the shite around greens and near the rough....

adlo
22nd February 2010, 03:41 AM

You must get punished pretty often then......

Anyway, I am tired of this argument too. I have seen it happen numerous times, however, you don't believe me and that is fine.

Yep.....

I missed nearly every green today and didn't end up in any woodchips......

Apart from the type of grass and elevation changes I can hardly see a difference in style between Bunbury and Hartfield especially in regards to the shite around greens and near the rough....
Great, you join and instantly drink the Kool Aid :roll:

Good luck to the Hartfield members. Again, I am too tired of it to start arguing my point here Zeus.

I will agree to disagree with the Hartfield Cardigan Brigade.

Zeusgolf
22nd February 2010, 11:24 AM
You must get punished pretty often then......

Anyway, I am tired of this argument too. I have seen it happen numerous times, however, you don't believe me and that is fine.

Great, you join and instantly drink the Kool Aid :roll:

Good luck to the Hartfield members. Again, I am too tired of it to start arguing my point here Zeus.

I will agree to disagree with the Hartfield Cardigan Brigade.

I don't want to argue either...yes there are some bad holes at Hartfield, they could be better with some tree chopping....

but i'm wondering how could wood chips around some areas of certain greens be any different in regards to short game ect with the shrub line greens at KB and if i do remember correctly you get some shit bounces there into those shrub areas....

I do admit that Hartfield is not the be all and end all in regards to private clubs but what are the other options in the metro area ?

Johnny Canuck
22nd February 2010, 12:32 PM
I think I missed the 10th green by about 3m left and was on woodchips.

adlo
22nd February 2010, 12:41 PM
I don't want to argue either...yes there are some bad holes at Hartfield, they could be better with some tree chopping....

but i'm wondering how could wood chips around some areas of certain greens be any different in regards to short game ect with the shrub line greens at KB and if i do remember correctly you get some shit bounces there into those shrub areas....

I do admit that Hartfield is not the be all and end all in regards to private clubs but what are the other options in the metro area ?

Kennedy Bay, as an example, has much larger greenside areas that have "collection areas". Also, the areas surrounding the greens are much wider.

I am not knocking the actual wood chips, I just think the greenside areas are too toight. There is not enough rough surrounding the greens.

And you are right, unless you want to spend a fortune, we are seriously limited for choice in the metro area.

Veefore
22nd February 2010, 02:25 PM
It is really a bit wrong to compare Kennedy Bay to Hartfield. Two courses couldn't be more different. And they are meant to be that way.

It's like comparing a Commodore station wagon to a Harley Davidson. Different machines serving different purposes to different customers.

Hartfield was never designed nor ever intended to be a "top 100" style course. It is a members course on a council reserve with limited funds. But is sure does bring out the pride in its members. A lot more players come to Hartfield from other clubs than leave. Its not just about the course, its about the club.

Each hole at Kennedy Bay cost more to build than the entire course at Hartfield. It just goes to show that they are different beasts from different eras.

Lake Karrinyup spends more on fertilizer for its rough alone each year than Hartfield spends on fertilizer for its whole course.

And since this is the Pro Am thread I should mention that every Pro I spoke to that played last year said they would be back to Hartfield for this years Pro Am because they loved the course and the event. One said it was now one of his favourite courses in Perth. It was 4 hours after his round and he was still enjoying himself in the bar with about 15 others so the alcohol probably had a bit to do with that. :smt119

Anyway, I find Kennedy Bay has a certain "sameness" about all the collection areas around the greens. If you miss a green you are going to end up in the same areas, with the same lies, and the same shot in most cases. But I have only played the course twice and haven't really had a chance to pickup on its subtleties yet. Or miss enough greens in enough places to find out any different. Maybe next time I play it I'll feel differently.

There are issues at Hartfield with some of the newer, larger greens having enough room around them but there is nothing that can be done at the moment about that. The club has done the best it can with what the council and the tree-huggers will allow and with the limits of its watering system. But look at it this way, it gives you sand, THICK rough, fairway, woodchips and even a roadbase path if you are far enough off line. Now that takes REAL IMAGINATION! Try playing the same type of recovery shot from all of those different lies.:mrgreen:

adlo
22nd February 2010, 02:29 PM
I agree with your comparison talk there, no real comparison. Different courses, in a big way.

You need to play Kennedy Bay more, it is a course you have to play dozens of times to appreciate the subtleties.

Anyway, I really want to end this discussion. I am done with it. I enjoy playing Hartfield. I enjoy the company of the members, all of you guys are top blokes. Well, maybe apart from one or two :mrgreen:

Veefore
22nd February 2010, 02:34 PM
You need to play Kennedy Bay more, it is a course you have to play dozens of times to appreciate the subtleties.

Definitely. Last time I played there all the tee shots I thought I hit really well ended up as lost balls and half the ones I thought I had lost were either in the fairway or a bunker. Just knowing where to hit it can completely change your perception of a golf course.

adlo
22nd February 2010, 02:37 PM
Agreed. Give JC a heads up and we'll head out one day. We can guide you around. However, the issue remains: can we execute the shots we need to :)

TourFit
22nd February 2010, 02:40 PM
If it isn't going to be a problem, and there is an available spot...

THEN PLEASE COUNT ME IN !!!

Veefore
22nd February 2010, 11:53 PM
Agreed. Give JC a heads up and we'll head out one day. We can guide you around. However, the issue remains: can we execute the shots we need to :)

Sounds like a great idea. I'm out of golf for a few weeks but am hoping to be playing again around the end of march. I will contact you blokes then.

However, the issue remains: can we execute the shots we need to :)

If they are 3ft putts then hell yes! Otherwise I rely on the old hit-and-hope.