PDA

View Full Version : Should we be copying Tiger's swing?

Scottt
20th February 2010, 08:39 AM
I was looking at a few swings in magazines and on youtube today as I worked on the swing faults Virge picked out in the pics I posted last week, namely:

"Posting" my right leg during the backswing,
Sliding my hips away from the target, and
Letting my shoulders fall forward, runing my posture.

As always, I came across plenty of Swingvision sequences - film and still - of Tiger.

Is it wise to use his swing as a board for improving?

On one hand I say yes, because he has a brilliant golf swing. On the other, I have heard some experts say it isn't, because he is a supreme athlete and gets into positions most of us can't achieve.

So what's the G-O?

And which golfers are the best as far as a general guide to flawless fundamentals?

sms316
20th February 2010, 08:43 AM
The teaching pro I used to see in Canberra had Tiger's swing sequence laid out in his office. It was good to see a visual of certain points in his swing to compare against freeze frames in my video.

eg - This is what you are doing v this is what you should do.

But that is about all we have in common.

razaar
20th February 2010, 09:35 AM
If you swing like Tiger, Scottty, you may end up with similar problems.;)

TheNuclearOne
20th February 2010, 10:53 AM
Too much pelvic thrust for my liking.

Moe Norman
20th February 2010, 03:13 PM
most of s would need to drop some weight and do some stretching before trying to swing it like tiger

Daves
20th February 2010, 03:17 PM
most of s would need to drop some weight and do some stretching before trying to swing it like tiger

Speak for yourself!:wink: I would have to drop an enormous amount of weight and no amount of stretching will get me anywhere near his rotation:roll::lol:

dhills2
21st February 2010, 06:59 PM
I might have to start looking at swings on the Champions Tour if I want to find someone with a comparable level of flexibility :)

virge666
21st February 2010, 09:52 PM
Copying positions never work as you may have Tiger's backswing and then notice something Paul Casey does and try to add that and then maybe a change you saw on Adam Scott.

You have to learn the fundementals of the golf swing and how a particular move occurs because of something else...

Everything is cause and effect.

A rule of thumb though is copy their balance and setup postions... they are usually pretty good.

goonie
21st February 2010, 10:10 PM
It was a few years ago, but I remember Tiger saying that people should not copy his take away, something like it was too wide and he wouldn't recommend any one else use/copy it, and that it only worked for him.

Captain Nemo
23rd February 2010, 10:13 AM
No!

razaar
23rd February 2010, 10:30 AM
I encourage all my opponents to copy Tiger's swing.

virge666
23rd February 2010, 10:50 AM
I encourage all my opponents to copy Tiger's swing.

ha !!

:twisted:

I like it.

Sand Save
23rd February 2010, 11:14 AM
I like to ask my opponents if they are breathing in at the top of their swing or breathing out?

razaar
23rd February 2010, 11:53 AM
I like to ask my opponents if they are breathing in at the top of their swing or breathing out?
Too easy..you should ask more interesting questions.

fatbastard
8th March 2010, 05:44 PM
I was told that if we want to copy a swing then we should watch the lady professionals as their swing speed is so much closer to ours. It makes sense!!!

razaar
8th March 2010, 07:37 PM
I was told that if we want to copy a swing then we should watch the lady professionals as their swing speed is so much closer to ours. It makes sense!!!

It may help those of us with breasts (as apart from pecs) .

virge666
8th March 2010, 07:53 PM

God no... Why would you do that ?

Chicks golf swings are awful - more plane changes than LAX.

henno
8th March 2010, 08:39 PM
Natalie Gulbis has a great pair swing. :razz:

virge666
8th March 2010, 08:51 PM
Natalie Gulbis has a great pair swing. :razz:

She bloody does / doesn't.

;)

fatbastard
8th March 2010, 10:02 PM
It may help those of us with breasts (as apart from pecs) .

Works for me then!!! :oops:

Scottt
9th March 2010, 12:38 AM
God no... Why would you do that ?

:lol: Gold!

shazza_rs
9th March 2010, 11:44 AM

I take offence to that! :?

henno
9th March 2010, 11:51 AM
You're not a chick, Shazza. Chicks are a pain in the arse.

shazza_rs
9th March 2010, 12:33 PM
I don't know whether to be offended or not :)

PS... if chicks are a pain in the arse you are doing something really wrong ;)

sms316
9th March 2010, 12:43 PM
Or you are "adventurous".

razaar
9th March 2010, 12:56 PM
This little lady has one of the best golf swings in the world IMO.
http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?pid=20515&mid=2

fatbastard
9th March 2010, 05:41 PM
This little lady has one of the best golf swings in the world IMO.
http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?pid=20515&mid=2

You sure she's a chick???

idgolfguy
10th March 2010, 02:17 AM
I watched the Lexus cup live last year. Got bored after about an hour of watching the ladies play golf and went and played instead. It's not as exciting live as they don't hit the ball hard, and not as far as some of our 10 handicap males. I knew the course they were playing and the tees were set up shorter than the men's member's tee. They were hitting their tee shots to where some of the men would hit to.

They did hit their approaches more accurately with their longer clubs. However, they had difficulty stopping the ball. I did recall some of the general comments that the Vines was set up too long, the greens were too hard and too big.

A far cry from watching the Johnny Walker. It showed how different the men's competition were to the women. This was for the general players. Obviously, there were some standouts who played closer to the men's standard - however, this was generally not sustainable.

If I hadn't seen the JW live, the Lexus would have held my interest a little longer.