PDA

View Full Version : Different putters for different Greens?

holmesy-XLS
19th February 2010, 10:14 PM
I have an odyssey white hot #9, i really like it on slow greens, but being summer the greens are faster. Im testing out a ping anser karsten with good sucess, any1 else do this?

virge666
19th February 2010, 10:20 PM
Nah - learn to love your putter for both types...

oncewasagolfer
19th February 2010, 10:44 PM
when I play on sand greens during winter I switch to a heavier mallet putter but of course sand is a lot different to greens to putt on.

zigwah
19th February 2010, 10:52 PM
just learn to putt

mike
19th February 2010, 10:53 PM
Wise words Zig.

Johnny Canuck
19th February 2010, 11:13 PM
I used to use a Kirk Currie with interchangable weights. When my course when bankrupt and closed, the greens got a little shaggy, I put the heavier weight in the bottom. It worked a treat!

TourFit
20th February 2010, 01:46 PM
Doesn't everyone have 20+ putters and do this...?

Or is it just me?

adlo
20th February 2010, 07:36 PM
He didn't mean 1 putter per green Tourfit :roll:

razaar
20th February 2010, 08:13 PM
There is a school of thought that favours light headed putters for slow greens and heavy putters for fast greens. The logic to this argument is that a lighter head is easier to swing faster, speed being issue rather than weight or mass on slow greens. A heavier head say 360 + grams is more suited to a slow stroke, again speed of the head being less for quick greens. I guess both camps on this debate can present logical points to support their views.

Daves
20th February 2010, 08:16 PM
I have also seen discussion regarding different lofts for slow and fast greens. The slower and bumpier the green, the more (greater) loft can help get the ball rolling.

razaar
20th February 2010, 08:29 PM
I have also seen discussion regarding different lofts for slow and fast greens. The slower and bumpier the green, the more (greater) loft can help get the ball rolling.
Friction is the magic word here Dave. The more friction between the green surface and the ball the slower the green on a level surface. A green which has poor density will be quicker than a green cut to the same height with a denser coverage - such as at your course. What putter loft do you find is more suited at Redland Bay?

adlo
20th February 2010, 08:31 PM
Isn't it easier just to adjust to the speed of the greens at different courses with your current putter?

razaar
20th February 2010, 08:35 PM
Isn't it easier just to adjust to the speed of the greens at different courses with your current putter?
Not if you have a cupboard full of them. Have you ever played with somebody who has two putters in the bag - one for long putts and the other for holing out?

adlo
20th February 2010, 08:38 PM
Not if you have a cupboard full of them. Have you ever played with somebody who has two putters in the bag - one for long putts and the other for holing out?

Yes I have, it worked quite well for them too.

Daves
20th February 2010, 08:38 PM
Friction is the magic word here Dave. The more friction between the green surface and the ball the slower the green on a level surface. A green which has poor density will be quicker than a green cut to the same height with a denser coverage - such as at your course. What putter loft do you find is more suited at Redland Bay?

I think my #5 has 3* of loft Raz. Reddie Bay greens are a little slow I find, so I tend to move the ball a touch forward to increase the loft. From memory the recommendation was for 4 to 5* loft for slow greens. Will see if I can find the article?.

razaar
20th February 2010, 08:42 PM
Yes I have, it worked quite well for them too.
Makes sense if you score better with two, way better option than two drivers. Sergio had two in the bag during the match play in 2008.
http://www.pgatour.com/2008/r/02/20/garcia_sider/index.html

IanO
20th February 2010, 09:07 PM
Have you ever played with somebody who has two putters in the bag - one for long putts and the other for holing out?

Yes, a guy I play with has a bellyputter for long putts and a normal for short putts.

Daves
20th February 2010, 09:09 PM
This is not the article I had read about putter lofts, but it does talk about much the same stuff;

http://thesandtrap.com/bag_drop/putter_loft_why_its_important

Hux
21st February 2010, 10:56 AM
I find my Scotty excellent for long putts, but would find greater success with someone else using it for short putts.

Does this count as using a different putter?? :-)

ddasey
21st February 2010, 11:00 AM
I find my Scotty excellent for long putts, but would find greater success with someone else using it for short putts.

Does this count as using a different putter?? :-)

Which one can you throw furthest :twisted:

leighthebee
21st February 2010, 12:09 PM
The Wilson 8802 i have craps all over the Taylormade Monza on the long putts, but from within 3 feet, I'm more likely to miss it rather than get it from 3 feet in. Monza is ten times better from that distance for me.

I would gladly use 2 if it didn't look silly!