PDA

View Full Version : ACR's and CCR's

Flavzz
18th February 2010, 09:27 PM
Whats the deal with course ratings. The main course I play is a par 72, has an ACR of 70 and generally plays to a CCR of 69. I understand that the CCR changes depending on how the field played in the comp? Seems a bit harsh that you can lose 3 shots off the normal course score in relation to your handicap.

For example I shot 83 today (+11) but because of the CCR I technically played to a hcp of 14. Doesnt seem very fair.. I also understand some courses are easier than others but its just annoying so I guess i'm just ranting more than anything.

For your home courses whats normally the difference between Par and CCR?

henno
18th February 2010, 09:29 PM
It just means that your course is a snack for the average golfer. Compare Brookwater (par 72) to Wynnum (par 70) and there is easily more than two shots difference. Going off par there isn't, but going off CCR there is often a 7-8 shot difference.

For the record, Pacific is par 72, ACR 73 and off the back tees often CCRs 75.

terrys
Mt Broughton off the Blue tees it's the same, 72 and 72. off the back tees par is 72 and ACR is 76.

Ned
http://www.golfaustralia.org.au/site/_content/document/00007057-source.pdf

After April CCR is out the door!

ParMaster
18th February 2010, 09:30 PM
Depends on what tees we play from.

NSW typically rates 73, but has gotten as high as 78 before, and low as 71.

The CCR can only go 2 above or 1 below the ACR, however in "Extreme Weather Conditions" it can go up to 4 above the ACR.

Flavzz
18th February 2010, 09:35 PM
cheers guys.

My home course is pretty forgiving so I guess I have to take it.

Pup, whats the normal CCR for NSW on a normal weather comp day?

markTHEblake
18th February 2010, 09:46 PM
understand that the CCR changes depending on how the field played in the comp?

It would change mostly based on conditions if you have medium to large size fields

Seems a bit harsh that you can lose 3 shots off the normal course score in relation to your handicap.Its an easier course thats all, compared to one that is rated higher. In your context that would mean that a course that has an ACR of 3 over par is a luxury, no of course not.

but its just annoying so I guess i'm just ranting more than anythingbascially - Yep, sorry.:lol:

For your home courses whats normally the difference between Par and CCR? Depends on the conditions, if its easy lower, if its harder higher, if its normal the same.

Thats how it works. CCR only doesnt well work in small fields, hence the change. However the up/down of conditions will be managed by moving tee markers forwards or backwards, so it will be the same thing just measued differently.

Your new ACR when done is unlikely to change more than 1, unless you have a lot of big elevations changes. So even under the new system, your course will still be easy, and it might get worse, you could actually play off a lower handicap on your home track - now wont that confuse some people ;)

Flavzz
18th February 2010, 09:56 PM
http://www.golfaustralia.org.au/site/_content/document/00007057-source.pdf

After April CCR is out the door!

Good article Ned, explains it all pretty well.

It would change mostly based on conditions if you have medium to large size fields

Its an easier course thats all, compared to one that is rated higher. In your context that would mean that a course that has an ACR of 3 over par is a luxury, no of course not.

bascially - Yep, sorry.:lol:

Depends on the conditions, if its easy lower, if its harder higher, if its normal the same.

Thats how it works. CCR only doesnt well work in small fields, hence the change. However the up/down of conditions will be managed by moving tee markers forwards or backwards, so it will be the same thing just measued differently.

Your new ACR when done is unlikely to change more than 1, unless you have a lot of big elevations changes. So even under the new system, your course will still be easy, and it might get worse, you could actually play off a lower handicap on your home track - now wont that confuse some people ;)

So different hcp for your home course?

Scottt
18th February 2010, 09:59 PM
Flavvz,

It used to annoy me at Springwood as well. ACR was -2 and CCR was often -3

Penrith was more balanced. ACR 72 or 73 from the blues and rated even or +1 most of the time, but on Sundays off the whites (CCR 71) was often 70.

Eastlake is one course that surprises me by often rating -2 or -3. I just don't think it's that easy.

I for one won't be sad to see CCR disappear. I like knowing what I need to shoot from the start of the round.

Flavzz
18th February 2010, 10:07 PM
Flavvz,

Penrith was more balanced. ACR 72 or 73 from the blues and rated even or +1 most of the time, but on Sundays off the whites (CCR 71) was often 70.

Eastlake is one course that surprises me by often rating -2 or -3. I just don't think it's that easy.

I for one won't be sad to see CCR disappear. I like knowing what I need to shoot from the start of the round.

Agree Scott, the point is that I play the course according to the scorecard and aim for par as a benchmark. How big the field is and how they played has no relevance to me.

markTHEblake
18th February 2010, 10:13 PM
So different hcp for your home course?

no, different handicap for every course - potentially.

It would seem that you have a lot of catching up to do, i suggest you read, USGA Handicap for dummies. ;)

Flavzz
18th February 2010, 10:18 PM
no, different handicap for every course - potentially.

It would seem that you have a lot of catching up to do, i suggest you read, USGA Handicap for dummies. ;)

lol, I guess I do. Im just working out the old system and they change it on me.

ParMaster
18th February 2010, 10:37 PM
cheers guys.

My home course is pretty forgiving so I guess I have to take it.

Pup, whats the normal CCR for NSW on a normal weather comp day?

Probably 72 or 73 for a sunday. Or just 73 or 74 for a saturday.

Flavvz,

I don't know what it is, I just ALWAYS play crap at Eastlakes.

Scott, I don't know how all the new changes are going to work, but for a course like NSW do you think it will work well? Because some days it can play easy off the back (CCR 73), but other times it can be nearly unplayable (CCR 76).

So I assume you'd play off the same HCP for each game, without taking into account the weather??

markTHEblake
18th February 2010, 11:40 PM
Because some days it can play easy off the back (CCR 73), but other times it can be nearly unplayable (CCR 76).

So I assume you'd play off the same HCP for each game, without taking into account the weather??

http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showpost.php?p=446141&postcount=7

MegaWatty
19th February 2010, 01:13 AM
Pup. If your course has been 'approved' for the Extreme Conditions extension of CCR, it doesn't depend on what the weather was like on the day. It can rate as high as +4 if it was sunny and still. Of course it's unlikely though!