PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

gazeagle
17th February 2010, 01:22 PM
Ok, be very gentlethis is my forst post and I'm sure that I'm asking a dumb question but here goes anyway.
After 7 years out of golf due to major back injury I have now started back playing, use to have a handicap of 11, went to house of golf and was fitted for a set of Tommy Armour Evos irons and matching driver etc, they are offset clubs and I just seem to be forever having to work at not hooking the ball, not badly but missing greens etc left all the time, I never used to hook a ball at all, is this due to the offset clubs and should I be looking at a set of neutral clubs.
Was considering mp52's ?
Any advice etc appreciated.
Gaz

henno
17th February 2010, 01:46 PM
Make sure you aren't misaligning the face of the club. I know I do with severely offset clubs; I have the toe of the club twisted shut because I'm used to it being in line with the hosel.

razaar
17th February 2010, 02:00 PM
Welcome Gaz. I doubt it is the offset clubs causing your hook, more likely the cause is in your swing. As a pure guess, taking into account your history with a bad back, I reckon your arms swing through impact is behind your shoulder turn. In other words the arms come into impact after the shoulders have turned to the left pulling your shots left. This is common with players who have an incomplete shoulder turn (less than 90*) and a long backswing.

If this sounds like your swing, the answer to getting rid of the lefts is to shorten your backswing and rotate the left forearm to the right a few degrees more in the backswing keeping the right elbow into the side (the extra rotation should keep it down). This will help to keep the clubhead inside the 'to the target' plane, instead of being to the outside of the target plane where you are now. The best course of action is to get a few lessons, my comments will give you something to try in the meantime.

gazeagle
17th February 2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys,
That wasn't to painful after all, I think lessons may be in order as you say I think with the back issue my rotation is poor I also believe it may be a bit of clubface alignment as well as these clubs being offset just dont seem/feel right when you are looking down on them, not what I used to play with, not sure why I went this way with offset clubs, maybe just the latest trend I suppose

Are the MP52' a good club to look at anyway?

Thanks again Henno and razaar
Gaz

gazeagle
17th February 2010, 03:01 PM
sorry double post

Oldplayer
17th February 2010, 04:51 PM
Offset clubs don't necessarily cause a hook, but they tend to be helpful to players, usually without great swing dynamics, to help cut down slicing and getting the ball airbourne more easily. If you used to play to 11, have a neutral set-up and hit the ball pretty square I would think irons without too much offset would be a good idea.