PDA

View Full Version : Identity Theft and if you want to confess find a priest

just
17th February 2010, 11:03 AM
I don't understand this new need for self revelation, self confession etc in the internet age. I know most of you you are happy with you daily output of twitter, facebook, blogs etc, but the reality is the world isn't interested doesn't always have the time to delve in to your need to tell us when you are on the toilet, who you first girlfriend was, because they are too busy crapping creatively writing about their own uninterestingfun filled life. I also understand the need most of you have for a mutual love fest respect, "woohoo we play the same shaft aren't we good", "yeah we both listen to the same crappy music, we are best friends now even if we've never met and you're a potential serial killer who knows how to socially manipulate people". I don't understand it and I don't really care for it, and think it's become a blight on internet forums in general, including this one.

But use a bit of common sense, at the very least you are becoming a gold mine for those interested in identity theft and data miners. Here is a sample:
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17743
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=264
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17701
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15993
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11170
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16668
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17216
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16741
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12486
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13042
and this was a sample from just the last few months, but I've seen many more over the past few years, with much more personal information. We are all guilty to some degree, although some more than others, how about we try to cut back on the inanereally interesting threads. One every once in a while is okay but too many is a problem.

Thanks for the soapbox, feel free to ignore the thread if don't like the message or don't feel it applies to you.

Eag's
17th February 2010, 11:12 AM
Just, I think you are missing the point of what Forums are about mate.
Threads like the ones you have listed above have always been part of this forum. They have grown in number only because this joint has also increased it's member base. I do agree that some members of this forum can make some pointless or useless threads, but with such a huge variety of personalities on here that will happen from time to time.

henno
17th February 2010, 11:13 AM
I look forward to the "What's your mother's maiden name?" and "What was your first pet called?" threads.

just
17th February 2010, 11:14 AM
Eags
No I'm not, but I respect that you are entitled to your view.

3oneday
17th February 2010, 11:16 AM
I can't see how any of those relate to ID theft ? but anyway, send me your BSB and account details please 8)

Johnny Canuck
17th February 2010, 11:18 AM
So what are you up to today?

just
17th February 2010, 11:20 AM
Identity theft is not just about your bank details etc, its about mining as much personal information as possible to assume your idedntity in a range of situations, and those threads have a wealth of personal information (and they were just a recent sample).
Nevertheless you are right the title is not the best, because its about more than just identity theft.

AndyP
17th February 2010, 11:22 AM
It's a discussion forum. Most of the threads are created to generate this discussion, whether it is interesting or not.

Daves
17th February 2010, 11:25 AM
SMS has assumed a few identities from time to time! Mostly on other forums though:lol:

Johnny Canuck
17th February 2010, 11:28 AM
I'm going to hang out in the housewares aisle, pretend I'm Just and talk about this:

http://www.delonghi.com.au/images/CTO4003BK_sml.jpg

just
17th February 2010, 11:29 AM
Do most of you even read the first post before you post? It appears not. It doesn't say don't discuss, it doesn't say don't post, it doesn't say find out what interests Just, it's about the type of threads and putting a bit of thought into it. Most of those threads aren't discussions they are just long lists. This thread is about thinking about the type of thread which you are posting and that also contains discussion and that it has ramifications.

3oneday
17th February 2010, 11:30 AM
I was going to add, we all know that Jarro drinks beer ?

just
17th February 2010, 11:32 AM
I'm going to hang out in the housewares aisle, pretend I'm Just and talk about this:

http://www.delonghi.com.au/images/CTO4003BK_sml.jpg
Excellent another comprehension fail, which bit of:

We are all guilty to some degree was hard to understand, and it also contained discussion.

Eag's
17th February 2010, 11:33 AM
I did read your initial post Just, and I still can't see how said threads can result in Identity theft? As for thinking about threads before posting them, over half of the threads on this forum would never see the light of day ;)

3oneday
17th February 2010, 11:37 AM
Where can I get a toaster like that one ?

just
I did read your initial post Just, and I still can't see how said threads can result in Identity theft?
You are honestly unable to see the wealth of personal information we are giving away in those threads that can be linked to your name, birthday, age?

Johnny Canuck
In all honesty, I was having fun with it.

I will admit, after the massive single sentence to start, with strike-outs, quotes, etc.. I had trouble reading the entire post.

Most people don't give a rats ass about identity theft until they are either a victim themselves or they are close to someone that is.

Johnny Canuck
17th February 2010, 11:38 AM

Just's kitchen.

3oneday
17th February 2010, 11:39 AM
And some of the cranky personas around this place, who could copy that ???

just
17th February 2010, 11:39 AM
Just's kitchen.
It's second hand now.;)

AndyP
17th February 2010, 11:40 AM
I've re-read the initial post and realised that there was no question asked. It should have been locked and stickied at that point.

MegaWatty
17th February 2010, 11:41 AM

Simmsy's spare bag.

just
17th February 2010, 11:42 AM
I've re-read the initial post and realised that there was no question asked. It should have been locked and stickied at that point.
Excellent point! Can you do that with all our WITB threads, they don't ask any questions either, except to question most of our sanity.
On the other hand at least Zig won't post in this thread because I am on ignore (hopefully).

AndyP
17th February 2010, 11:43 AM
You forgot to add a whole forum to your list:
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

I've worked out when most members aren't going to be home thanks to the threads there.

AndyP
17th February 2010, 11:44 AM
Excellent point! Can you do that with all our WITB threads, they don't ask any questions either, except to question most of our sanity.I ask questions in mine (instead of starting yet another thread), but my WITB doesn't get updated weekly either.

Johnny Canuck
17th February 2010, 11:45 AM
That's a valid point, Andy. The first tee thread would be a gold mine for someone looking to find out when people aren't at home.

Eag's
You are honestly unable to see the wealth of personal information we are giving away in those threads that can be linked to your name, birthday, age?

Fair enough, but they will need more than my name, age & personal interests if they are going to try to steal my identity.
I am very careful about what information I do share with others online. I am very anal about internet security in general.

just
You forgot to add a whole forum to your list:
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

I've worked out when most members aren't going to be home thanks to the threads there.
I very rarely post in that fourm either you may have noticed, mostly because I'm crap at golf.

MegaWatty
17th February 2010, 11:46 AM
This is starting to freak me out!

Johnny Canuck
17th February 2010, 11:49 AM
This is starting to freak me out!

I can't wait to pick up my new toaster from your kitchen bench while you're out golfing tomorrow.

Seriously, mine just broke a week ago.

MegaWatty
17th February 2010, 11:52 AM
Ive stopped playing golf. I'm never leaving the house again!

WBennett
17th February 2010, 11:53 AM
And what about all those who are on the Ozgolf Facebook group, or the Iseekfacebook group, or any of the other groups?

My real name is used here, but good luck googling me to find out that many more details. Sharing your name with a high profile football identity makes me a very obscure search result!

AndyP
17th February 2010, 11:55 AM
Can this thread become a list of potential identity theft risks, without the discussion?

I'll start:
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1968

MegaWatty
17th February 2010, 12:00 PM
Isn't it even worse to highlight every thread for someone to start collecting info???

AndyP
17th February 2010, 12:03 PM
Good point, MegaWatty. I'll add it to the list:
[/URL][url]http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17745 (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1968)

just
17th February 2010, 12:07 PM
And what about all those who are on the Ozgolf Facebook group
I never knew there was a facebook group, but why would you need an Ozgolf facebook group when you have the forum?

zigwah
17th February 2010, 12:08 PM
identity theft from a forum laughable :) you must have been a RO or CSO

just
17th February 2010, 12:12 PM
FFS what do I have to do to get you to put me on ignore!

LarryLong
17th February 2010, 12:21 PM
I worked with somebody who had her identity stolen. Cost her a lot of money and massive hassles with credit ratings and having to constantly prove that it wasn't her that did this and that.

The theft didn't bother stalking her on the net though, she just did the much more expedient thing and nicked her purse from her bag at the gym one day. That's where the biggest risks are.

Johnny Canuck
17th February 2010, 12:30 PM
FFS what do I have to do to get you to put me on ignore!

I think that the whole ignore thing is a scam by Zig.

He's too unstable/curious to actually have us on ignore. He needs to know what is being said.

It's just another attention seeking antic from him.

BrisVegas
17th February 2010, 12:32 PM

amen to that.

Eldrick
17th February 2010, 12:36 PM
it's not only identity theft,
i have seen people stating that they leave clubs in the boot of the car
and from other info on here i could find out when and where they are playing golf and for how long

Ned
17th February 2010, 12:49 PM

Just's kitchen.

It's second hand now.;)

Simmsy's spare bag.

I can't wait to pick up my new toaster from your kitchen bench while you're out golfing tomorrow.

Seriously, mine just broke a week ago.

http://www.delonghi.com.au/products/product_details.asp?Model=CTO4003BK

Available @ All Leading Electrical Stores!!!!

Ned
17th February 2010, 12:51 PM
it's not only identity theft,
i have seen people stating that they leave clubs in the boot of the car
and from other info on here i could find out when and where they are playing golf and for how long

Henwahs experience with his Boss finding out his Golflink number and tracking where he plays!!!:shock:

3oneday
17th February 2010, 12:52 PM
$170 for a toaster, I didn't know it was Tour :(

just
17th February 2010, 12:55 PM
Pfffffft who pays retail.

Ned
17th February 2010, 12:56 PM

Pfffffft who pays retail.

If they are packed well, they dont dint when they fall off the back of......................... something!

Eldrick
17th February 2010, 01:48 PM
nevermind

PeteyD
17th February 2010, 02:55 PM
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Yossarian
17th February 2010, 03:41 PM
identity theft from a forum laughable :) you must have been a RO or CSO

Bullshit, I have read about cases of identity theft from forums.

AndyP
17th February 2010, 03:48 PM
I think just has gone back to his old grumpy ways.

sms316
17th February 2010, 03:49 PM
Can I get my last 5 minutes back?

just
17th February 2010, 03:50 PM
Lies! I'm a happy.

Can I get my last 5 minutes back?
I'll trade you for the 5 minutes I wasted on your weight loss thread.;)

Yossarian
17th February 2010, 03:52 PM
I think just raises a valid point, it is tricky though because so many people know each other and you assume they are the only ones that read what you post. This is not a closed forum. Anyone can read what you write. Identity theft can and does happen from people divulging too much information.

AndyP
17th February 2010, 03:55 PM
But not from knowing what the first album I purchased was, surely?

Yossarian
17th February 2010, 03:58 PM
Depends on what other information you have left lying around the place. Those are sometimes security questions for forgotten passwords and the like. Maybe a new user who someone has sold something to has that persons bank details/ account no ect. Then they snoop around in other posts looking for personal info like that. You never know if they might get lucky.

Unlikey in some cases but it does happen.

AndyP
17th February 2010, 04:01 PM
They deserve some sort of reward if they go to that much effort on the off chance that it will be a password.

Yossarian
17th February 2010, 04:03 PM
It is how the operate andy, the more you give them the more chance they will have.

A golf forum isn't a bad target actually, most people that play tend to be pretty well off. This being a relatively small community with a trust aspect also works for "them".

Eag's
17th February 2010, 04:16 PM
Time to make that aluminium foil hat Yoss :roll:
Seriously though the chances of someone gathering enough info to actually steal your identity from a forum are very, very slim unless you are stupid enough to divulge sensitive info.

AndyP
17th February 2010, 04:18 PM
Or stupid enough to have such simple passwords protecting valuable information.

Eag's
17th February 2010, 04:20 PM
Spot on AP.

Yossarian
17th February 2010, 04:23 PM
I am not saying they are going to be able to get into everyone bank accounts, but this stuff happens. How does it happen? For some of the reasons just lists. People do divulge sensitvie info without realising sometimes. Sometimes because they are idiots. You can argue all you want about it being unlikely but the fact is it does happen. And it is something worth being aware of.

KristianJ
17th February 2010, 04:24 PM
Reminds me a bit of the terrorism advertising campaign with Steve Liebmann about being alert, but not alarmed.

I think that most of the people here would be alert enough to not go too gung ho and divulge every aspect of their lives, and could sort out who the trustworthy people are here (even amidst the gibber). In addition, most people would hopefully have somewhat secure passwords.

If there is a minority who do happen to let something slip and end up paying for it, then that's a mistake you're going to learn from.

just
17th February 2010, 04:26 PM
Unless you're stupid enough to think that identity theft is just about getting into your bank account or finding passwords, but what the hell. Fine, if you don't think it's a problem don't worry about it.

I think that most of the people here would be alert enough to not go too gung ho and divulge every aspect of their lives,
Like how did you pop the question, how old were you when you married, how did you know he/she was the one etc etc. It's not just about passwords.

Eag's
17th February 2010, 04:32 PM
Yes I am fully aware it happens, all I am saying is if you are carefull it won't. Out of curiosity how many people do you know who have had it happen to them?

Yossarian
17th February 2010, 04:34 PM
That would be telling now wouldn't it Eag's ;)

I know a couple of people.

just
17th February 2010, 04:35 PM
By the way this is the kind of stuff I was trying to get at rather than just the password issue:
Identity theft is a type of fraud which involves stealing money or gaining other benefits by pretending to be someone else.

Identity theft can occur in many ways—from somebody using your credit card details illegally to make purchases to having your entire identity assumed by another person to open bank accounts, take out loans and conducting illegal business under your name.

Yossarian
17th February 2010, 04:36 PM
I think I sidetracked this into a password debate. Again just is right. You give people enough tidbits they can become you. It is easier than it sounds.

Eldrick
17th February 2010, 04:54 PM
most people would have a decent password on their internet banking,
but what about the email address that you send your password resets too?

e.g
if i manage to crack your email i can then go and see if you have a paypal account. then send a password reset and use the info learned to try and crack your Q&A's etc etc

jaybam
17th February 2010, 06:15 PM
We were taken for 8 grand but was through stolen mail. Since then we now have a post office box :) 100 bucks a year and worth every cent.

markTHEblake
17th February 2010, 07:34 PM

I can - your point is very clear to see!

Though someone with malicious intent of varying degrees do not randomly seek out people on the internet, it is far more likely that they have formed their target first, then they could use a site like Ozgolf and others to mine an enormous wealth of information, and that is the inherent risk, people that do are very good at that.

Of course most of us will say we have nothing to hide, cos we arent crooks. But that is not the point. You could become a target through a legal action, even when you are an innocent party, a business or estate disputes, or the worst one of all - the Tax Man!

We are particularily vulnerable here as we use so many personal details. It wouldnt be unusual for a forum like this to not allow Guests to view at all.

To give you an example how easy it is. Some idiot posts on Ozgolf claims to know Greh Normal, and is the golf course designer to the stars, had already posted his mobile phone number. Google it, and it shows he organised a car show at a property, that happens to be owned by a freind of mine, in my parents town. I happen to have a beer with said freind about a month later, and get a full rundown of how much a useless wanker tappet head this bloke us, and how many different places he has got the sack from, where he is working now, what kind of stupid rice car he drives, and why he wanted to sell the clubs - to spend on the stupid car.

All that from a mobile phone number.

Scoot
17th February 2010, 07:53 PM
Better change my user name.

Scottt
17th February 2010, 08:33 PM
Thieves are welcome to steal my identity, it's not a very good one anyway.

But if they do steal it, do they get all the golf courses I've played and places I've travelled to? because if I woke up one morning and couldn't remember any of that I'd be pretty pissed off.

Ned
17th February 2010, 08:38 PM
Take the Quiz (http://www.stopidtheft.com.au/quiz.php)!!!!!!!!!!

PerryGroves
17th February 2010, 08:55 PM
Presumably the only purpose of identity theft is monetary. If that is the case why would you assume the identity of someone with naff all coin. As Jaybam said, you start by stealing mail, get a hit off a bank statement that the person has money and then start. The more money often the less oversight http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4616635.stm

Patrolling a golf forum may be a start but if I was going to do it, I think there are easier ways.

Eag's
17th February 2010, 08:57 PM
Quiz results.
Congratulations. You are at low risk of becoming a victim of identity fraud.

AndyP
17th February 2010, 08:59 PM
That's because you haven't revealed what sort of toaster you use.

Ned
17th February 2010, 09:01 PM
That's because you haven't revealed what sort of toaster you use.

:smt044

Hux
17th February 2010, 10:10 PM
Wow I'd love to say this thread is interesting and based on rational and realistic fears....but I won't.

I have no current professional experience with ID fraud but no particular warnings are being issued about releasing pointless rubbish with non direct identifying information on net forums. Sure don't put in your phone numbers, home address and name and the BSB and account number for your savings but as far as putting in that you listen to shite music and your name is Henno and live in a small house not that far from Wynnum GC and have a pretty missus. Well that is a lot of work to build on to steal the details on someone who buys cheap golf clubs and has a VL commodore with a broken tail light :).

Remember a few simple facts about crime. As the average joe you have a realitively small amount to steal in real terms. Millions is not in the equation.
Crims are lazy. Crims will not expend vast amounts of effort to get a relatively small amount of money. They will expend small amounts of energy to get the same.

There are easier ways to steal your id or gain access to bank accounts that trawling through toaster preferences and what music style you like.

I am starting to wonder if there was something in the food the Navy served :mrgreen:

henno
17th February 2010, 10:13 PM
and has a VL commodore with a broken tail light

Hey, the tail light isn't broken. It leaked in the rain, so I pulled it out to reseal it. It's the paint job that's f**ked! 23 years will do that. 8)

markTHEblake
17th February 2010, 10:16 PM
Why do most focus on Identify Theft within this topic? Just did not raise this issue about that solely.

Eag's
17th February 2010, 10:20 PM
Maybe not, but it has sparked some interesting discussions.

Eldrick
17th February 2010, 10:23 PM
Why do most focus on Identify Theft within this topic? Just did not raise this issue about that solely.

i like the red skittles

Yossarian
17th February 2010, 10:26 PM
Wow I'd love to say this thread is interesting and based on rational and realistic fears....but I won't.

I have no current professional experience with ID fraud but no particular warnings are being issued about releasing pointless rubbish with non direct identifying information on net forums. Sure don't put in your phone numbers, home address and name and the BSB and account number for your savings but as far as putting in that you listen to shite music and your name is Henno and live in a small house not that far from Wynnum GC and have a pretty missus. Well that is a lot of work to build on to steal the details on someone who buys cheap golf clubs and has a VL commodore with a broken tail light :).

Remember a few simple facts about crime. As the average joe you have a realitively small amount to steal in real terms. Millions is not in the equation.
Crims are lazy. Crims will not expend vast amounts of effort to get a relatively small amount of money. They will expend small amounts of energy to get the same.

There are easier ways to steal your id or gain access to bank accounts that trawling through toaster preferences and what music style you like.

I am starting to wonder if there was something in the food the Navy served :mrgreen:

Thats it the cop has spoken. Case closed.

just
17th February 2010, 10:40 PM

I'll leave the personal insults aside. As to your bit in bold I've never argued otherwise, but of course to back up your insults you have to come up with a non-existent argument. The risk is there and if you actually went through the archives you would see there is much more personal info than music tastes and toasters, I've already listed a few.

You've become rather abusive lately to those who you seem to have a grudge against for whatever reason, this is now myself and the blokes from WA. How about you stick to the argument at hand rather than the personal abuse.

3oneday
18th February 2010, 12:04 AM
This priest found yet ?

Sasquatch
18th February 2010, 02:02 PM
Interesting.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/1014013/aussies-at-risk-on-please-rob-me-website

sms316
18th February 2010, 02:54 PM
I find a lot of the bullshit wanky threads more interesting than the ongoing waffle about Tiger, wedge grooves, tour golf clubs etc etc.
Wanker.

:mrgreen:

just
18th February 2010, 02:56 PM
I find a lot of the bullshit wanky threads more interesting than the ongoing waffle about Tiger, wedge grooves, tour golf clubs etc etc.
Dicky
I didn't say we shouldn't have any, just a few less would be good from my point of view. Post more if it makes you happy, it's only an opinion not an order.

3oneday
18th February 2010, 02:59 PM
We should have less posters by days end anyway shouldn't we ?

Scottt
18th February 2010, 08:30 PM
Dicky
I didn't say we shouldn't have any, just a few less would be good from my point of view. Post more if it makes you happy, it's only an opinion not an order.

have you ever considered not clicking on them?

just
18th February 2010, 08:42 PM
have you ever considered not clicking on them?
That's a novel suggestion Scottt, never would have thought of it myself.

mike
19th February 2010, 11:31 AM
Interesting.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/1014013/aussies-at-risk-on-please-rob-me-website

Australians are making life easier for thieves by posting information online that reveals when their homes are empty.Seriously, if I was going to break into someone's house I'd just wait up the street until they went out.

Rediculous article.

markTHEblake
19th February 2010, 06:23 PM
Note to self: when sighting a garden gnome up the street, turn around and come back a couple of mins later.