Nick O'Hern
Rod Pampling
Adam Scott

Still in with a late chance
WR 34. Craig Parry
WR 48. Richard Green
WR 53. Geoff Ogilvy
WR 78. Stephen Leaney

* With a current World Ranking of 34, Craig Parry should receive an invitation in the post on the week prior to The Masters.
* Richard Green is 99% there as he does not have any ranking points to defend for the next 3 weeks.
* Geoff Ogilvy with a double on the Par 4, 18th at the HONDA Classic cost him important ranking points. With a Par on the last would him got him inside the World Top 50s.
* Unless Stephen Leaney and the remaining boys can win The Players Championship, they will have to play The Masters next year. :wink:

WR 147. Brendan Jones
WR 156. Aaron Baddeley
WR 171. Andre Stolz
WR 180. John Senden
WR 241. Scott Hend
WR 255. Steve Allan
WR 318. Steve Elkington
WR 373. Paul Gow
WR 397. Gavin Coles

Qualifications for Invitation
1. Masters Tournament Champions (Lifetime)
2. US Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
3. British Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
4. PGA Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
5. Winners of The Players Championship (3 years)
6. Current US Amateur Champion (6-A) (Honorary, non-competing after 1 year) and the runner-up (6-B) to the current US Amateur Champion
7. Current British Amateur Champion (Honorary, non-competing after 1 year)
8. Current US Amateur Public Links Champion
9. Current US Mid-Amateur Champion
10. The first 16 players, including ties, in the 2004 Masters Tournament
11. The first 8 players, including ties, in the 2004 US Open Championship
12. The first 4 players, including ties, in the 2004 British Open Championship
13. The first 4 players, including ties, in the 2004 PGA Championship
14. The 40 leaders on the Final Official PGA Tour Money List for 2004
15. The 10 leaders on the Official PGA Tour Money List published during the week prior to the 2005 Masters Tournament
16. The 50 leaders on the Final Official World Golf Ranking for 2004
17. The 50 leaders on the Official World Golf Ranking published during the week prior to the 2005 Masters

Jarro
15th March 2005, 12:39 AM
nice wrapup Trungie 8)

my masters tip .... Rod Pampling to edge out Olazabel :wink:

3oneday
15th March 2005, 06:04 AM
nice wrapup Trungie 8)

my masters tip .... Rod Pampling to edge out Olazabel :wink:those beers going down alright are they mate ??? :P :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jarro
15th March 2005, 07:47 AM
nice wrapup Trungie 8)

my masters tip .... Rod Pampling to edge out Olazabel :wink:those beers going down alright are they mate ??? :P :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

so you don't think Pamps can beat Jose :?:

Eag's
15th March 2005, 08:40 PM
My 3 tips are Darren Clarke, Stewart Cink & David Toms 8)

davidp
15th March 2005, 08:51 PM
I'm betting Adam Scott will have a good week, maybe top 5. Stuart Appleby for top 10.

My top 3 picks are Els, Woods, & Jimenez.

BrisVegas
16th March 2005, 07:40 AM
My tip... Adam Scott to make birdie on the last to get into a playoff with Mickelson. Mickelson will go on to win back-to-back. Adam will then cement himself as "the best player not to have won a major". Tiger will make some noise on Sunday to finish top 5, but will not quite get the job done. I reckon Appleby may finish top 10 and Els will finish 1 stroke out of the playoff in sole 3rd.

reg320
16th March 2005, 08:07 PM
I'm hoping that Lefty goes back to back :D - damn shame tht I didn't see any of last years coverage :cry:

Fishman Dan
16th March 2005, 08:32 PM
From a bloke who loves a bet on roughies The Masters just always seem to throw a winner amongst the faves.
The smart money shoud go on Tiger, Lefty or Vijay. Els will never ever win The Masters.
Best outsider this year....Chris Dimarco.

I'll second that - i think you can take Adam Scott out too. Which beckons the question - which Aussies going around have a genuine chance at winning the Masters? Perhaps Ogilvy still has something up his sleeve.

Jarro
16th March 2005, 08:34 PM
Els will never ever win The Masters.

that's a pretty big statement :shock:

.. care to tell me why YOU think he'll never win :?

Jarro
16th March 2005, 08:48 PM
Ernie has achieved a lot and the Green Jacket is the biggie missing from his trophy cabinet. He's had some serious chances and although his falling over at the death wasnt in the same league as Sharkie's I really think he's had his chance.
The older Ernie gets the more obsessed he will be with winning it.
Ernie's a top bloke, I've had dinner with him often, but I can't see him winning The Masters.

(anyone knowing my punting ability should now be seriously considering going to the bank tomorrow, slapping another mortgage on the house and dumping it all on EE)

i'll take it, by that pathetic attempt at an answer :roll: , that the Johhnie Walker and Coke's are going down a little too easily tonight :smt030 :roll:

jimandr
16th March 2005, 09:09 PM
I'm with the favourites. One of the big five to win. Mugs don't win the Masters.

I don't see any reason why Ernie can't win. I don't really see him as a player affected too much by pressure. He didn't really choke in any of the majors last year. Phil and Todd hamilton both played better rather than Ernie playing badly.

It takes a bit of courage to leave Tiger out right now, but if he has a bad week this week or in the Players it may dent his confidence. If he has two good weeks, I'm putting something on him.

I'll wait and see on Mickelson, but if he's in contention after the first round, he's worth a wager.

No aussies this year for me. The big five are playing too well.

Flowergirl
16th March 2005, 09:12 PM
Bite your tongue..JW = catspiss.
Only had 3 bourbons...so i am still talking sense.

It takes more than 3 bourbons for you to make sense G69 _ ( hey - I've been trying to bait you but you're not taking the hook) :wink:

Trung
8th April 2005, 09:29 AM
Play suspended due to darkness.

Mark Hensby with a 69 currently at =2nd place... :D

goughy
8th April 2005, 09:52 AM
I hope no one had their money on this guy.

http://www.golfweb.com/tournaments/masters/scorecards/2005/132163

No offence to him. I don't know who he is and he's playing in a tournament on a course I won't ever see, even if peaking through the gates, let alone play in. But I guess this just wasn't the start he was after.

Fishman Dan
8th April 2005, 09:55 AM
Duval at +3!

HE'S BACK BABY!

Trung
8th April 2005, 10:07 AM

No offence to him. I don't know who he is and he's playing in a tournament on a course I won't ever see, even if peaking through the gates, let alone play in. But I guess this just wasn't the start he was after.

Billy Casper is an old Masters Champion.

3oneday
8th April 2005, 10:08 AM
Billy Casper is an old Masters Champion.you made the wrong bit bold, methinks :lol: :lol:

goughy
8th April 2005, 10:50 AM

Billy Casper is an old Masters Champion.

Well don't I just feel the idiot bring his score up now. :oops: Talk about a red face on me. Sorry Billy.

Trung
8th April 2005, 10:51 AM
Name: Billy Casper

Born: June 24, 1931

2-time PGA Player of Year (1966,70); has won U.S. Open (1959,66), Masters (1970), U.S. Senior Open (1983); compiled 51 PGA Tour wins and 9 on Senior Tour.

AndyP
8th April 2005, 11:24 AM
Good on him for taking a spot in the field that a young player could have taken. :roll:

Fishman Dan
8th April 2005, 11:29 AM
Good on him for taking a spot in the field that a young player could have taken. :roll:

I think the old bloke is probably thinking the same thing after registering 106 hits.

davidp
8th April 2005, 11:33 AM
It's an invitational field, andyp. If you meet the qualifying criteria, one of them being a former champion, then you are invited. If a "young fella" had met the qualification, then they would receive an invitation. The Masters Committee can also issue a special invitation, as they did to Shingo Katayama this year, and Greg Norman, a couple of years back.

Btw, Billy Casper was one of the best putters ever to grace the PGA Tour. It's a shame we don't see him in his prime. Likewise Tommy Aaron and the other ex-champs.

Trung
8th April 2005, 11:34 AM

If he didn't take his spot, his spot would not have gone to another player. Just one less in the field :wink:

markTHEblake
8th April 2005, 12:04 PM
yeah, Onewood wasted his time standing beside the letterbox all week.

Flowergirl
8th April 2005, 12:58 PM
I just checked up on one of my guys.......Paul Casey had a 10 :shock: on the 13th par 5. Can I change my tips now :evil:

Flowergirl
8th April 2005, 02:07 PM
You gotta just love favourtism :wink:

peter_rs
8th April 2005, 02:27 PM
so did anyone backing Tiger see him putt of the 13 straight into rays creek. He look shell shocked after that.

Image if thats what tiger does on the "slow" greens (rain effected) what would happen to us. Lets hope for dry weather so the green can dry out and make this interesting. sadistic I know :lol:

AndyP
8th April 2005, 02:54 PM
so did anyone backing Tiger see him putt of the 13 straight into rays creek. He look shell shocked after that.
I saw that and thought it was bloody funny. He still made bogey though.

peter_rs
8th April 2005, 03:28 PM
GIR on a par 5 is 3 shoots. His 3rd was in the drink so no GIR. The line and speed on the second put was so different. It shows how smart tour players are, to drop (under +1) and have a second putt, I would have played it from the creek-It looked like it was sitting ok :lol:

Onewood
8th April 2005, 03:36 PM
yeah, Onewood wasted his time standing beside the letterbox all week.

I had to knock it back Blakey, :cry: I thought it was more important to stick around and see if I might get a game in the OZgolf matchplay champs, within the next 3 months, before I go :roll:

But I can see where, you and 990B are coming from though [-X Trying to hang off until I leave and get an easy run into the next round :roll: :wink:

Fishman Dan
8th April 2005, 03:57 PM
from http://www.smh.com.au/news/Golf/Master-of-disaster/2005/04/08/1112815716314.html

...and you have to agree.

Master of Disaster

Billy Casper's humiliating 34-over-par 106 in the first round at the US Masters today epitomises everything bad about what is otherwise one of the most magical events on the sporting calender.

Casper's shocker included three galling records.

The 73-year-old has-been is the first man in Masters history not to break 100, his triple-digit score smashing Charles Kunkle's 95 in 1956 as the all-time worst 18-hole total.

He is the first man not to break 50 for a nine in championship play at Augusta, his 57 on the way in easily breaking the nine-hole record high of 49 held by five players, most recently Frank Conner in 1982.

Casper is also the first man to rack up 14 on a single hole at the season's opening major tournament.

His 11-over effort at the par-3 16th - in which he sent five balls into the drink before three-putting - "bettered" the 13s of fellow American Tom Weiskopf in 1980 on the par-3 12th and Japan's Tommy Nakajima on the par-5 13th in 1978.

All sentiment aside, Casper should have been the first man denied a tee time.

Playing on a lifetime exemption courtesy of his 1970 Masters triumph, Casper wanted a 45th and final shot at Augusta, so his grandchildren in the gallery could be proud of him.

"I wanted to do it just one more time, before I got too old," Casper said.

Too old? Surely he is already.

As great as the Masters is, it's bordering on farce to allow players lifetime exemptions when clearly they're decades beyond their prime.

The organisers argue - and they really do - that having former champions grace the fairways actually adds to the tournament.

But there's a bit of difference between allowing six-time champion Jack Nicklaus and Arnie's Army onto the course and letting Billy Casper and 1971 winner Charles Coody - who incidentally shot the lights out today with a 16-over-par 88 - tee up.

With annual fields half the size of golf's other three majors - and just 93 playing this year - the Masters already denies many worthy professionals places in the prestigious tournament.

And while former champions can contest the Masters for the rest of their lives, victory in the US Open only earns winners 10-year exemptions and British Open champions aren't permitted to play the event past the age of 65.

Players like Billy Casper have used up their Masters playing privileges.

Ask fans who they'd prefer to watch and most will tell you three-time runner-up Greg Norman, who can't even get an invitation these days.

Try also telling the likes of seven-times European No.1 Colin Montgomerie and Australian Masters champion Richard Green, who both fell agonisingly short of making this year's field because they just missed the world's top 50 that they're less deserving than Billy Casper, the friendly hoax.

McMw
8th April 2005, 04:10 PM
a 73yr old shoots 106 at Augusta.....any of you guys reckon u could do better??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I say great effort for an ol timer...esp on a wet and long course...and besides...he played Augusta...any of you??? :wink:

Jarro
8th April 2005, 04:12 PM
great article Fishy 8)

i would rather see The Shark out there than some old fart who's not a snowflakes of breaking par :x

Onewood
8th April 2005, 04:19 PM
a 73yr old shoots 106 at Augusta.....any of you guys reckon u could do better??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I say great effort for an ol timer...esp on a wet and long course...and besides...he played Augusta...any of you??? :wink:

This one's gone over your head and through to the keeper Mau, :D when its time to give it away than give it away, Especially on the big stage :roll: good on him for playing Augusta 8) but it's time for him to do it with a few mates on a Sunday morning :P which he could probably do anytime he wanted :wink: :D

Fishman Dan
8th April 2005, 04:21 PM

Kev is right Mau, you miss the point - he wanted to show his grandkids something special. He did that - in all the wrong ways.

100+ hits, fair enough.
14 on a par 3 - hang your head in shame.

We 'tolerated' Arnies walk last year, but this is just plain silly.

McMw
8th April 2005, 04:55 PM
if they keep sending him his invitation letter....I'll say keep on taking it!!!

he's not taking anyone else's spot....and he did earn the right to play as many masters as he so chooses...

so what if he makes a fool of himself on the grandest stage of them all... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wavemaker
8th April 2005, 06:13 PM
Gooday all, is this on the free to air tv? what time?

Onewood
8th April 2005, 06:27 PM
Gooday all, is this on the free to air tv? what time?

Channel 9 are covering it, not sure exact time but early morning 8)

marcel
8th April 2005, 07:04 PM
he's not taking anyone else's spot....

Not so sure about that, I'd imagine if he or any of the other former champs playing had said no then they'd just 'special invite' someone else, e.g. Monty

3oneday
8th April 2005, 07:32 PM
Moving on :arrow: no more pensioner talk, coverage is on FoxSports 1 now 8) 8)
Then at 12.30 I think each day, one (and only) event I would rather watch on delay, I get tired of the GolfMart ads in NSW :P :P .

Pete

BrisVegas
8th April 2005, 07:34 PM
Hi Wavey,

Sat 6:00am - 9:00am
Sun 5:30am - 9:00am
Mon 4:30am - 9:00am

Channel 9.

wavemaker
8th April 2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks for that BV. this old pensioner will be watching!

mike
8th April 2005, 08:19 PM
What about Allenby's two foot putt that slid past the hole and rolled about 40 ft down the hill.

EEK.

Scott won't get far . Every putt he stands over, he just doesn't look confident. Permanent yips.

Can't work out what looks more rediculous. Darren Clarkes trousers or Katayama's stupid hat. :shock:

AndyP
9th April 2005, 12:53 PM
i would rather see The Shark out there than some old fart who's not a snowflakes of breaking par :x
Even I would prefer to see Norman. ;)
Did any of Casper's shots get on a highlight's reel?

BTW, there is no point in blaming Ch 9 for the amount of the Masters they are showing. Apparently, it is Augusta that has placed a restriction in place, on the number of hours that the event can be telecast. Maybe another silly "tradition" of this event.

Fishman Dan
10th April 2005, 06:33 AM
Moving on :arrow: no more pensioner talk, coverage is on FoxSports 1 now 8) 8)
Then at 12.30 I think each day, one (and only) event I would rather watch on delay, I get tired of the GolfMart ads in NSW :P :P .

Pete

They've got good mileage out of their R580XD ad though - i think they've been running that since last masters :roll:

McMw
10th April 2005, 09:29 PM
Round3 just started....

Good on DiMarco to choke straight away for a double on 10....keep it up DILL!!!

Tiger just went birdi/bird on 10 and 11....this Masters is HIS!!!

Onewood
10th April 2005, 09:29 PM
Dimarco doubles the 10th and Tiger Birdies the 10th for a 3 shot swing :shock: Tiger is now only 1 behind :roll:

Trung
10th April 2005, 09:37 PM
Dimarco doubles the 10th and Tiger Birdies the 10th for a 3 shot swing :shock: Tiger is now only 1 behind :roll:

just birdied the 11th..

He is -7 for 11 holes.. :shock:

Trung
10th April 2005, 09:39 PM
birdied the 12th

-8 for 12 holes :shock: :shock: :shock:

With a Par 5, 13th coming up next... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Trung
10th April 2005, 09:57 PM
birdied the 13th

-9 for 13 holes

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

McMw
10th April 2005, 10:20 PM
HA....with a 59 in sight...the man chokes with a bogey on 14.... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh well....it was a good run....an important run...

he's got both armsleeves on already!!! 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ona
10th April 2005, 10:23 PM
bloody hell im happy to get that many pars in a row

http://www.golfweb.com/tournaments/masters/scorecards/2005/149765

Trung
10th April 2005, 10:30 PM
bogey on 15th...

what the? :shock: :shock:

roller coaster ride? :idea:

McMw
10th April 2005, 10:42 PM
hahahaha.....back to back bogeys...damn...wish they were showing this circus act on telly now...

guess I'll have to get up 1 hour earlier to watch the hilites later on... :D

Onewood
10th April 2005, 10:46 PM
With Dimarco going backwards we could have Tiger, Bjorn in the final grouping 8) And if they keep coming back Lefty is not out of this yet..........

McMw
10th April 2005, 10:53 PM
damn...I was hoping Tiger would bogey 16 too... :(

if this is gonna be a tiger/lefty showdown....the peeps are gonna back Lefty I reckon!!!! and so they should!!!

Jarro
11th April 2005, 03:44 AM
talk about a choke :shock:

4 shot lead, then ends up 3 shots behind :oops:

Tiger and DiMarco in the final group.

Onewood
11th April 2005, 08:16 AM
For those at work :D

IT's A PLAY OFF :P

wavemaker
11th April 2005, 08:17 AM
Play off! Now wouldnt that bring a tear to a glass eye!!

AndyP
11th April 2005, 08:24 AM

Any chance of giving us shot-by-shot commentary, Kev?

BrisVegas
11th April 2005, 08:26 AM
Go Dimarco. He deserves a win. It would have been easy to throw in the towel after he missed a few early on and Tiger got away to a 4-shot lead. He's showed some guts.

Hope the playoff finishes before 10:30am when the VCR is set to finish!! :shock: :cry:

Fishman Dan
11th April 2005, 08:27 AM

http://www.golfweb.com/tournaments/masters/leaderboard/playoff

I left as they headed for the 16th. Good decision that :roll:

I heard on the radio that TW birdied 16 as well, so i thought it was all done, only to get here and see that he choked!

AndyP
11th April 2005, 08:29 AM
http://www.golfweb.com/tournaments/masters/leaderboard/playoff

Thanks Fish. The radio commentary on the Augusta site doesn't work on work PCs.

BrisVegas
11th April 2005, 08:34 AM
Tiger Wins.

Fishman Dan
11th April 2005, 08:35 AM
I'm going for Woods - what's the $$$ difference between winner and Bridesmaid? Could be the difference to winning the official OzGolf Masters tipping comp ;)

Does Moocow get $ taken off because of Els pathetic performance?

And Woods wins with birdie on the 1st playoff hole! Only 2 in it for pretty much half the tournament, but a sensational day of golf.

Onewood
11th April 2005, 08:38 AM
I heard on the radio that TW birdied 16 as well,

He chipped in on 16 :shock: the ball sat on the edge for 2 seconds I recon :D one to watch tonight 8)

Onewood
11th April 2005, 08:49 AM

Tiger hit's the little white ball, hit's it again and putt's it in the hole 8)

Hows that AP :lol: do you want Dimarco as well :wink: just add 1 more hit :D

Onewood
11th April 2005, 08:52 AM
1 Chris DiMarco -4 F -12 67 67 74 68 276
1 Tiger Woods -1 F -12 74 66 65 71 276
3 Retief Goosen -5 F -5 71 75 70 67 283
3 Luke Donald -3 F -5 68 77 69 69 283
5 Mark Hensby E F -4 69 73 70 72 284
5 Mike Weir -1 F -4 74 71 68 71 284
5 Rod Pampling -2 F -4 73 71 70 70 284
5 Vijay Singh E F -4 68 73 71 72 284
5 Trevor Immelman +1 F -4 73 73 65 73 284
10 Phil Mickelson

Good top 10 finish for Hensby and Pamps 8)

Parry 25th +2
Scott 33rd +6
Appleby 43rd +8
O'Hern 45th +9

McMw
11th April 2005, 09:12 AM
Tiger got lucky on 10 and 17 with his tee shot...but made bogey anyway...

not sure how bad was the 3 putt on 5, but Annoying Wadkins kept harping on it when Tiger left the eagle putt on 15 short, and that putt on 18 was just bad...

4 Masters before 30....Nicklaus's 6 Masters is in Jepoardy...

Bruce
11th April 2005, 11:12 AM
DiMarco nearly won it on 18. Hitting the cup with his chip he was nearly in for a 3 and (in hindsight) the win.

Tiger's chip in on 16 will be replayed forever, but DiMarco never lost his cool and held it together from there to the playoff. Lesser men might have been shot then and there.

I'm glad I was late for work to watch those last few holes.

McMw
11th April 2005, 12:20 PM
am I the only one who thought it was LUCKY that DiMarco's chip on the 18th was lucky to even hit the cup...and stop close to the hole??? that ball was travelling, and would have finished at least 8 ft past the hole....

Bruce
11th April 2005, 12:56 PM
I agree. It certainly wasn't what he was trying to do but he was *that* far from having it drop.

Did anyone else catch Hensby and then Immelman on 16?

Hensby knocked it to about 2 inches, then Immelman played almost the exact same shot and it rolled in for the ace.

McMw
11th April 2005, 01:01 PM
the first one they showed was Goosen...with a 6 iron...missed the cup (as u watch it on telly) on the right lip...
then Hensby's missed on the left....so you know Immelman's had to be in the middle!!! :lol: