PDA

View Full Version : swing weighting

zigwah
14th February 2010, 09:28 PM
anyone like to put there hands up for a swing weighting and how to do it yourself with lead tape, scales and the like virge? TNO?

moree golfer
14th February 2010, 09:32 PM
I made one using length of pine, a small piece of old shaft as the pivot point and a set of digital kitchen scales. The main thing I found is to be as accurate as you can with the measurements and you will get a consistent SW. I can send you the scale I use if it is of help.

moree golfer
14th February 2010, 09:33 PM
It's too late to take a pic now of mine but I'll post one tomorrow if you'd like.

zigwah
14th February 2010, 09:43 PM
thanx mate, sounds good.

also after information on how lead tape or tungsten shaft tips affect things like flight, what is the best placement of tape, is it all just trial and error or is there a path to follow.

would also like to learn about shaft effects on swing weight head and shaft together.

Toolish
14th February 2010, 09:50 PM
MOI is all the rage now.

A set of swing weight scales are cheap enough to buy if you just want to have a play though.

Theoretically adding lead tape to the sole should make you hit it higher, shaft weighting make it a bit lower...but I doubt anyone on here is good enough to pick the difference. More a looks thing than anything in the end.

Not sure what you mean by "would also like to learn about shaft effects on swing weight head and shaft together. " Shaft weight and length (and COG) and head weight are the things that determine swing weight outside of lead tape and the like...not a lot more to know on that front.

virge666
14th February 2010, 11:47 PM
MOI is all the rage now.

A set of swing weight scales are cheap enough to buy if you just want to have a play though.

Theoretically adding lead tape to the sole should make you hit it higher, shaft weighting make it a bit lower...but I doubt anyone on here is good enough to pick the difference. More a looks thing than anything in the end.

Not sure what you mean by "would also like to learn about shaft effects on swing weight head and shaft together. " Shaft weight and length (and COG) and head weight are the things that determine swing weight outside of lead tape and the like...not a lot more to know on that front.

Nice one mate - for the record, I still use Swingweight. D2 for every club in the bag except the putter.

You can fake MOI - sort of - by just going up half a swingweight point for each club.

razaar
15th February 2010, 10:00 AM
MOI is all the rage now.

Expanding on this...swingweight is the moment of the club's weight about a point 12 inches from the grip end of the club. To measure swing weight you need to know the weight of the club in ounces and where its balance point (centre of gravity) is.
Mark the balance point and a point 12 inches from the butt of the grip. Measure the distance between both marks. Lets say it is 16 inches and the club weighs 16 ozs. The formula is weight of the club X distance between the marks - 16 X 16 = 256 (about D8 on the lorythmic scale).

Scale: C0 = 220, C5 = 230, D0 = 240, D5 = 250, E0 = 260, E5 = 270.

moree golfer
15th February 2010, 10:05 AM
That is how my scale works Ray. Simple but effective.

TourFit
15th February 2010, 12:21 PM
Nice one mate - for the record, I still use Swingweight. D2 for every club in the bag except the putter.

You can fake MOI - sort of - by just going up half a swingweight point for each club.

...and using 3/8" length increments instead of 1/2". But that is also assuming that the cpm of the shafts is all the same.

I flex sort my shafts from softest to stiffest (long irons to short irons) but only pick the necessary number with 1cpm apart from the next. The longer irons may end up 2-3cpm softer.

zigwah
15th February 2010, 12:48 PM
what sort of dollars would i be looking at to get a set of swingweights and a frequency analyzer, nothing fancy just something that works?

thanx for the info so far guys :)

virge666
15th February 2010, 01:15 PM
Swingweight scales are cheap as - $150 on eBay gets you a good'un

Freq analyser bloody expensive - $400 +

virge666
15th February 2010, 01:17 PM
...and using 3/8" length increments instead of 1/2". But that is also assuming that the cpm of the shafts is all the same.

I flex sort my shafts from softest to stiffest (long irons to short irons) but only pick the necessary number with 1cpm apart from the next. The longer irons may end up 2-3cpm softer.

I use to do this - but then the wedges are too long. they feel "wrongish"

I guess it is what you are use to.

zigwah
15th February 2010, 03:19 PM
Swingweight scales are cheap as - $150 on eBay gets you a good'un

Freq analyser bloody expensive - $400 +

wow 400 bux for a frequency analyzer, out of my reach :( might tell the local clubfitter he needs a new one ;) and try and get his old one cheap, whatya think?

Iain
15th February 2010, 03:24 PM
:roll: