PDA

View Full Version : Driver Shafts

FlyBallDavo
11th February 2010, 05:03 PM
Hey guys,

I need some advice regarding driver shafts.
I have a fast swing and can get the ball out there a long way. I have never been an equipment freak and dont know anything about shafts really.
Im currently using a Nike SasQuatch which has a Diamana shaft- stiff.
I love the club but feel as if the shaft isnt stiff enough when I really go hard at the ball. Could it be causing some inaccuracy as well (or it could just be me) as I recently discovered with Lee Westwood and his driver incident.

I play off 7 and only hit 22% of fairways which I feel is holding me back......What do I do?

Are demo nights best?

Do I get fitted properly for a new shaft? If so where do I go?

Help please?

TourFit
11th February 2010, 07:32 PM
Firstly, if accuracy is the problem SHORTEN YOUR DRIVER SLIGHTLY...

1) Put a piece of 1" wide tape around the top of the grip, pretend that the bottom of the tape is now the top of the club. Put a piece of lead tape on the head to replace some lost swingweight. See if accuracy improves.

2) If it does and you also want the shaft stiffer, get a pro/clubmaker to remove the shaft, cut it 1/2"-3/4" and then re-glue (with a little tip weight to bring it back up to swingweight).

This works especially if you 'like' the current shaft feel that you have.

Hux
11th February 2010, 10:43 PM
Must be an amazing short game (better than Phil or maybe even better than Pup) to be off 7 and yet only be hitting 22% of fairways!!

Why don't you go to Drummonds etc and get on a launch monitor and see how fast your swing is. Fast swing and getting it out there isn't that great a description. 118mph and 300m is a bit more of a desciption :-)
However even a chopper like me knows there is more to it than raw numbers, so tempo and style will affect things even more.

Once you get some numbers then its a bit easier to work out whether your noodle is too soft....that or grab a demo with an X flex from the pro shop for a trial.

FlyBallDavo
12th February 2010, 08:06 PM
At 6 ft 3 I dont know if shortening the club will be ideal. Might be worth a try though as my first option.

I have had this driver for a few years now so it might be time for a new 'fitted' driver so I should probably try Drummonds.

Do they charge to get your specs?