PDA

View Full Version : Low loft high launch/spin VS High loft low launch/spin

henno
10th February 2010, 08:50 AM
The great debate. I am a reasonable driver of the ball for a guy chopping around the high teens, but peter_rs and nudgee have both been in my ear during recent rounds regarding higher lofts with stiffer and lower-launching shafts, and we all know those two guys aren't exactly short hitters.

Is there any merit in this business? All but one of my current drivers are 9* or less. Would I benefit from perhaps stepping up to a 10* with an x-stiff high bendpoint low launching shaft?

Moe Norman
10th February 2010, 08:59 AM
which one will go straighter?

henno
10th February 2010, 09:05 AM
My hybrid. ;)

goonie
10th February 2010, 09:44 AM
which one will go straighter?

more spin should make the ball go straighter.

Jarro
10th February 2010, 09:46 AM
Sounds like a good way to go henno.

Just make sure it's not a technique issue otherwise you'll be hitting moon balls with the 10.5*

just
10th February 2010, 09:49 AM
You could go the Damo route and get a 16* driver.

razaar
10th February 2010, 09:51 AM
Henno whenever I decide to upgrade the driver I always buy two, one without a hosel and one with a longish hosel. This gives me a driver with a low centre of gravity (cally) for higher shots and longer carry (for when there is little run) and one with a higher centre of gravity (hosel+) for a lower ball flight, less spin and more run. This works for me because most of my strikes are mostly dead centre on the face.

The only sure way of finding out what is best for yourself is working off a launch monitor with a variety of head types and shaft flexes and ball positions. Stick on labels on the driver face will give you feedback on impact points and ball flight will tell you about swing path and clubface at impact for working by yourself at the range.

Launch monitor is the way to go Adam.

PS: Anything under 10* is not worth considering, because on a level impact path, the launch angle will be around 80% of the loft on a dead centre strike. Higher on the face = more loft and lower = less loft because of the bulge and roll of the face.

freddy a
10th February 2010, 11:23 AM
My hybrid. ;)

even better and longer with my hybrid

henno
10th February 2010, 11:29 AM
even better and longer with my hybrid

Let's never mention that again. My credit card shivers in fear every time.

3oneday
10th February 2010, 11:33 AM
Henno whenever I decide to upgrade the driver I always buy two
I fainted here :shock:

just
10th February 2010, 11:40 AM
Pete
He's just teasing you, Ray's not a ho.

razaar
10th February 2010, 12:18 PM
I fainted here :shock:
Keep your head between your knees...not too long now.;)

TheNuclearOne
10th February 2010, 07:33 PM
One (big) thing if you do, don't go up in shaft flex, just go up in bend (stiffer tip higher bend point) profile. Certainly not a full flex. Many stiffer tipped shafts will feel and play stouter anyway.

IanO
12th February 2010, 08:56 AM
I have a Ping Rapture 17* 5 Fairway Wood with a standardAlida VS Proto 85-R Shaft. I was going to get rid of it and replace it with a Titleist 909F2 3 Wood with a stiff shaft but maybe I would be better off re-shafting my Ping.

My irons have Project x5.5 shafts and my driver has a Ping TFC 939 D Stiff shaft.

Your thoughts, ohhh knowledgeable ones? :-k