PDA

View Full Version : Final list of NSW guys for the Matchplay Champs.......

Speirsy11
12th March 2005, 11:08 AM
Well, it looks like the QLD guys are on top of things, so we might as well get it together too.......Lets get our final entries and draw done right away so we can get a winner asap and getthe Qld guys sweating a little knowing what awaits the winner......

1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda
4 TS
5 Trung

Who else do we have?

Sorry if there is a list/draw already, but I didn't see one........

Speirsy

Jarro
12th March 2005, 11:12 AM
that's the way Rob .. you have to give them a bit of a kick in the arse to get 'em moving :P

How's Mike doing by the way :?:

Fishman Dan
12th March 2005, 11:33 AM
We should get 8 easily, are we a chance of 16?

1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda
4 TS
5 Trung
6 Dan

Speirsy11
12th March 2005, 12:11 PM
that's the way Rob .. you have to give them a bit of a kick in the bum to get 'em moving :P

How's Mike doing by the way :?:

Haven't had any results from him yet, but am expecting a call tomorrow. I did get a PM from Boonie on BSG (he's also a member here) who told me that he ran into Mike during a prac round at Riversdale and really enjoyed playing with him. They had never met, and it was just pure coincidence. Turns out, Boonie's partner for the Aussie 4-somes got injured and he got Mike to fill in......Not sure how they went, but I'll try and find out.

Back on topic, c'mon NSW, there has to be more....actually, lets make anyone who plays at the Vintage automatically in, so we can use that round as part of the playdowns......good idea?

Speirsy

Fishman Dan
12th March 2005, 12:17 PM
I was wondering about the Vintage round .... first time there, i don't really want to get all matchplay minded. But we have to get the draw sorted first.

Speirsy11
12th March 2005, 12:20 PM
I was wondering about the Vintage round .... first time there, i don't really want to get all matchplay minded. But we have to get the draw sorted first.

True....If nothing else, it'll be an opportunity to get a round done if the chance is there........

Lets get this done.......ENTRIES CLOSE FOR THE NSW BRACKET AS OF 20/3/05, NO EXCEPTIONS!!! IF ANYONE YOU KNOW WANTS IN, GET THEM TO SIGN UP NOW! The draw will be done 21/3/05....

I don't want to overstep my bounds, but we need to get this done....My competitive juices are flowing :P

Speirsy

Fishman Dan
12th March 2005, 12:38 PM
Guys, sign up. Think of it this way - even if you lose in rd 1, you've still made the Quarter finals. That in itself beats about 24 QLD'ers ;)

Jarro
12th March 2005, 12:44 PM
Guys, sign up. Think of it this way - even if you lose in rd 1, you've still made the Quarter finals. That in itself beats about 24 QLD'ers ;)

oh this is gonna be sweeeeet :twisted:

Grunt
12th March 2005, 03:16 PM
Count me in

Jarro
12th March 2005, 04:08 PM
where's Pete :?: :wink:

Trung
12th March 2005, 05:03 PM
1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda
4 TS
5 Trung
6 Dan
7 Grunt

3oneday, Marcel, Andrew. Jimandr, Burger, Fishhead etc etc?

Speirsy11
12th March 2005, 05:39 PM
Current seeds.....

1. Amanda (9)
2. Jono (11)
3. Trung (13)
4. Speirsy11 (29)
5. Dan (37)
6. TS (53)
7. Grunt (82)

We couldn't have a worse number......If it began today, it would be 1, 2, 3 with a round 1 bye, then 1 with a round 2 bye......C'mon NSw, we must have a few more players right?

Speirsy

Jono
12th March 2005, 05:58 PM
I thought participation was compulsory ... :wink: :lol:

1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda
4 TS
5 Trung
6 Dan
7 Grunt
8. Virgal
9 ? Jimandr
10 ? Aussielongdriver
11 ? Burger
12 ? Brad (Amanda's hubby)
13. ? Zipptopp

amanda
13th March 2005, 07:42 AM
Brad is out - he won't be able to play the first round as he is basically working every weekend in the forseeable future :cry:

Fishman Dan
13th March 2005, 10:00 AM
Current seeds.....

1. Amanda (9)
2. Jono (11)
3. Trung (13)
4. Speirsy11 (29)
5. Dan (37)
6. TS (53)
7. Grunt (82)

We couldn't have a worse number......If it began today, it would be 1, 2, 3 with a round 1 bye, then 1 with a round 2 bye......C'mon NSw, we must have a few more players right?

Speirsy

If we don't get too many more, factor in a round-robin of two pools. I.e. If there are 7, make a group of 4 and 3, each group plays each other and then the winners of each pool can play off at the end of the year.

Drags it out a bit for interest sake.

markTHEblake
13th March 2005, 09:51 PM
Brad is out - he won't be able to play the first round as he is basically working every weekend in the forseeable future :cry:

Golf courses are also open Monday to Friday?

jimandr
13th March 2005, 10:32 PM
Confession time :oops:

I don't always read topics where the headline suggests it'll be a Qld'er only event. So I don't know anything of this until I saw the NSW in the title.

I've read the other Match Play topics now.

I'm definitely in.

I should advise my potential opponents that when I was 14 I went through the Illawarra Sub-Junior Pennants undefeated three years in a row. But that was handicap matchplay, when I was a rapidly improving junior who usually played under my handicap.

As a kid, the only game I ever lost was in the Figtree High School championships, first round. I was the best golfer in the school (it wasn't hard, there were only a few decent players), and a strong favourite to win, but I got thrashed 3/2 by a guy who said he was off 27, but went round in about 15 over. I was giving him a shot a hole and did well to stay alive as long as I did. I then had to organise the rest of the event, even though I was no longer in it.

But I've only played one round of matchplay in the last 30 years, which I lost.

Virgal_Tracy
14th March 2005, 02:25 PM
Count me as in. After the weekend win I am pumped for more matchplay. (quick before i lose in the next round and think that it is a load of ....)

1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda
4 TS
5 Trung
6 Dan
7 Grunt
8. Virgal

Fishman Dan
14th March 2005, 02:36 PM
But I've only played one round of matchplay in the last 30 years, which I lost.

Nice story - but this is the only part we need to know ;) :lol:

zipptopp
14th March 2005, 09:25 PM
Hey Just saw my name on this post ! thanks Jono.

I'd be interested but will be away from April 9 to 16 golfing on Mornington Pennisula. Does this clash with any dates people had in mind?

1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda
4 TS
5 Trung
6 Dan
7 Grunt
8 Virgal
9 zipptopp ?

Speirsy11
14th March 2005, 09:35 PM

I'd be interested but will be away from April 9 to 16 golfing on Mornington Pennisula. Does this clash with any dates people had in mind?

1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda
4 TS
5 Trung
6 Dan
7 Grunt
8 Virgal
9 zipptopp ?

Throw your name in.......I'm sure we can work around those dates, it's only a week afterall..........

Speirsy

jimandr
14th March 2005, 10:42 PM
I said I was in but my name doesn't appear on the list. If my cut and pasting works, I'm there now :)

1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda
4 TS
5 Trung
6 Dan
7 Grunt
8 Virgal
9 zipptopp ?
10 Jimandr

Coffs_Hacker
15th March 2005, 01:20 AM
Gee 5.5 hrs from syd,
5 hrs from bris. Where to play ??? is there a halfway comp :)

If i cam get a midweek game or 2 with a bit of notice then vount me in
1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda
4 TS
5 Trung
6 Dan
7 Grunt
8 Virgal
9 zipptopp ?
10 Jimandr
11 CoffsH

Aussielongdriver
15th March 2005, 07:25 AM
If i can get a midweek game or 2 it would be good as I can keep the wife happy

1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda
4 TS
5 Trung
6 Dan
7 Grunt
8 Virgal
9 zipptopp ?
10 Jimandr
11 CoffsH
12 Aussielongdriver

AndyP
15th March 2005, 09:54 AM
Gee 5.5 hrs from syd,
I noticed that you opted to take the easier draw in NSW.
You wouldn't have lasted very long in the Qld draw anyway, Craig. :twisted:

Coffs_Hacker
15th March 2005, 10:34 AM
Ouch... :P

Would love to give u a lesson.. From what i can see u need it but i would rather a 1hr flight to a 5hr drive.... see u in the final haha

Speirsy11
15th March 2005, 11:35 AM
Gee 5.5 hrs from syd,
I noticed that you opted to take the easier draw in NSW.
You wouldn't have lasted very long in the Qld draw anyway, Craig. :twisted:

Sure wouldn't be too tough in a scratch draw........

I'LL see you in the final......Coff's can come watch......

Speirsy11

Jarro
15th March 2005, 12:11 PM

BE AFRAID ANDY .... BE VERY AFRAID :shock: :cry:

AndyP
15th March 2005, 12:57 PM

I haven't stated that I will be in the final. I realise that the SEQld pool is a tough draw and a place in the final will be hard earned, unlike the NSW pool which will be probably be a walkover for someone.
It's almost worth nominating for the NSW pool, flying down for a weekend, beating them all, then coming back.

Flowergirl
15th March 2005, 01:34 PM

It is Compulsory that you come and say hello to me if you are travelling to my home territory. :wink: Where are you playing?

amanda
15th March 2005, 01:39 PM
unlike the NSW pool which will be probably be a walkover for someone.
It's almost worth nominating for the NSW pool, flying down for a weekend, beating them all, then coming back.
Why thankyou for your belief in our golfing abilities AndyP [-(

Fishman Dan
15th March 2005, 02:04 PM
unlike the NSW pool which will be probably be a walkover for someone.
Why thankyou for your belief in our golfing abilities AndyP [-(

I think 'arrogance' is the word you're looking for here ;) :roll:

Aussielongdriver
15th March 2005, 02:15 PM
If I worked it out right I think I would play Trung 1st up and that could be interesting as I would only have to give him a shot on 1 hole off his new h'cap.

amanda
15th March 2005, 02:16 PM
If I worked it out right I think I would play Trung 1st up and that could be interesting as I would only have to give him a shot on 1 hole off his new h'cap.
Can I come along and watch this match?

Trung
15th March 2005, 02:24 PM

But if we play away from Liverpool. Your HCP is 0

:lol: :smt003 :smt023 \:D/

Just kidding mate. I will play with what ever your home Hcp is...
How can you be sure you will be playing me? :twisted:

I'm SOLID under pressure

amanda
15th March 2005, 02:27 PM
I'm SOLID under pressure
Must be all the playing for big $$$ on the weekend that helps :wink:

Trung
15th March 2005, 02:45 PM
amanda, I have no idea what ya talking about?

8-[ 8-[ 8-[

Jarro
15th March 2005, 03:07 PM
I'm SOLID under pressure

maybe a couple of well-timed early morning phone calls will take the edge off ya :P :wink:

Trung
15th March 2005, 03:16 PM
jarro, it's on "silent" mate :wink:

Speirsy11
15th March 2005, 08:32 PM

I haven't stated that I will be in the final. I realise that the SEQld pool is a tough draw and a place in the final will be hard earned, unlike the NSW pool which will be probably be a walkover for someone.

Even better....come down, and I'll torch you here. Your pick, here or there.......

Speirsy

burger
17th March 2005, 05:25 PM
Count me in too if its not too late

1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda
4 TS
5 Trung
6 Dan
7 Grunt
8 Virgal
9 zipptopp ?
10 Jimandr
11 CoffsH
12 Aussielongdriver
13 Burger - if its not too late

Jono
17th March 2005, 08:18 PM
1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda
4 TS
5 Trung
6 Dan
7 Grunt
8 Virgal
9 zipptopp
10 Jimandr
11 CoffsH
12 Aussielongdriver
13 Burger - if its not too late - IT'S NEVER TOO LATE! :lol:

Come on guys ... 3 more people and we can start with round of 16.

Current rankings:

1. Amanda
2. Jono
3. Trung
4. Speirsy
5. Fishman
6. Burger
7. Zipptop
8. Jimandr
9. CoffsH
10. TS
11. Virgil
12. Auslongdriver
13. Grunt

So, unless others join in, this is what the draw may look like for round 1:
Amanda, Jono, Trung - Byes
Speirsy vs Grunt
Fishman vs Aussielong
Burger vs Virgil
Zip vs TS
Jimandr vs Coffs

:wink:

Onewood
17th March 2005, 09:34 PM
So, unless others join in, this is what the draw may look like for round 1:
Amanda, Jono, Trung - Byes
Speirsy vs Grunt
Fishman vs Aussielong
Burger vs Virgil
Zip vs TS
Jimandr vs Coffs

:wink:

Good onya Jono, someone on the match and greens committee that can make a Discission =D>

Play it as you've drawn it (atleast the Mighty Blues will be leaders AGAIN :D ) now leave it open for 2 weeks and if someone steps in then they play Trung and so on and so on.....how easy is that :-k

Now for QLD to sort there shite out :wink:

Instead of "but why does he get the bye and not me :cry: )

AndyP
17th March 2005, 10:11 PM

The difference is, Kev, that the above names have actually nominated to take part in the matchplay, and have not been volunteered to play.
The Qld draw has some names there that don't even know the matchplay comp exists.

Onewood
17th March 2005, 10:27 PM

The difference is, Kev, that the above names have actually nominated to take part in the matchplay, and have not been volunteered to play.
The Qld draw has some names there that don't even know the matchplay comp exists.

Thats what I'm saying :roll: we either start fresh or run with the BYE's....

Speirsy11
17th March 2005, 11:01 PM
Have we decided on full Hcp or 3/4 hcp difference?

Speirsy

Jono
18th March 2005, 06:54 AM

Speirsy

Think we decided on full handicap, and also to use the official AGU handicap AT THE TIME OF THE MATCH.

Speirsy11
18th March 2005, 08:01 AM

Speirsy

Think we decided on full handicap, and also to use the official AGU handicap AT THE TIME OF THE MATCH.

I have a bit of an issue with that. Your Hcp is your stroke index, not your match play index. The reason you usually use 3/4 difference is to eliminate the advantage high markers get by getting 2 strokes per hole when playing low markers.

If you look at the card at most clubs, they have a stroke index for holes and a match index. The stroke index will often mark from 1-27 for holes, however, the match index only goes from 1-18. This is because the highest match play index you can carry into a match is 18. This prevents players from getting 2 strokes on a hole in a match situation.

I think the match commitee needs to have a meeting regarding this. I was under the impression that we were going with the 3/4 Hcp difference to avoid this 2 strokes on a hole problem.

Speirsy

AndyP
18th March 2005, 09:01 AM
I think the match commitee needs to have a meeting regarding this. I was under the impression that we were going with the 3/4 Hcp difference to avoid this 2 strokes on a hole problem.
The ruling was that we were using full handicap, and it was determined that 3/4 handicap difference in matchplay was a legacy from the 70s or something.

amanda
18th March 2005, 09:57 AM
I'm sure they went through this on the Qld thread - full handicaps is the way to go. Now - if I'm playing a scratch marker, then it only seems fair that I get 2 shots on some holes :wink: I had an opponent who had to give me 27 shots once (I was on 45 at the time)

burger
18th March 2005, 12:51 PM
Maybe another taker . . .

1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda
4 TS
5 Trung
6 Dan
7 Grunt
8 Virgal
9 zipptopp
10 Jimandr
11 CoffsH
12 Aussielongdriver
13 Burger - if its not too late - IT'S NEVER TOO LATE! :lol:
14 Big Al - who works with me and is registered Ozgolfer may be in too, he's away at the moment. can advise next week . . .

Speirsy11
19th March 2005, 08:42 AM
http://www.bombsquadgolf.com/invboard_release/upload/index.php?showtopic=62789&st=0&p=618651&

Just to give a little more international point of view. 75-80% seems to be the standard for both North America and Europe, as well as both clubs I've been a member at in Australia.

For what it's worth, the reason most clubs use a altered Hcp is to take in account the fact that you don't finish every hole in match play. IN stroke, the high marker can take an 11 compared to the 4 taken by the scratch and balance the handicaps. In match play, a hole like that is over, and the high marker only loses one hole, rather then several strokes as they would in stroke. Balancing the Hcps allows both players to start on a level field, which is the excuse high markers use for using Hcps in the first place.

Speirsy

amanda
19th March 2005, 02:06 PM
The ruling was that we would follow the committee's decision - full handicaps at time of match - that way both Qld & NSW are on the same system.

Speirsy11
20th March 2005, 08:55 AM
OK, if anyone knows someone who wants in, get them in before 6pm tonight. After that we are CLOSED and the draw gets done. Also, I think it is a good idea if we have a play-by date to limit how long this takes. Does 4 weeks sound like enough for each match?

Speirsy

jimandr
20th March 2005, 09:51 PM
Does the draw get done straight away?

My reading of the rules (which might be wrong) was that nominations closed today (the 20th), but the draw wasn't being published until the 31st.

This is significant, as some of us are playing official events over Easter. If the money counts, it may change some of the seedings. If so, I can see one or two of the Carnarvon players calculating their possibilities and determining whether a win means a more desirable or less desirable 1st round opponent.

Personally, I don't care who I play. My game is a bit dodgy at the moment, so my expectations are low. I might just be looking to extend the game past the 10th hole. But I'll still enjoy it :)

Trung
20th March 2005, 11:16 PM
Current rankings:

1. Amanda
2. Jono
3. Trung
4. Speirsy
5. Fishman
6. Burger
7. Zipptop
8. Jimandr
9. CoffsH
10. TS
11. Virgil
12. Auslongdriver
13. Grunt
14. Big AL
15. Pete AKA 3oneday?
16. _______

I would like Pete to come onboard so we can have our first matchplay match at Carnarvon on Easter Monday.
"Jono vs Pete" (Speirsy & I would love to watch). I want to see which one of the two will choke under pressure :twisted: .

Burger, can you confirm with BigAL asap? Tell me a little bit about this chap, what is his hcp and at which golf course? :lol:

http://img233.exs.cx/img233/9127/matchplay1fb.jpg

Jarro
21st March 2005, 06:24 AM
I would like Pete to come onboard so we can have our first matchplay match at Carnarvon on Easter Monday.

.. don't hold your breath Trung :roll:

Jono
21st March 2005, 07:02 AM
I want to see which one of the two will choke under pressure :twisted: .

Don't you mean which one of the two will rise to the occasion? Glass is always half full, my friend ... :lol:

Speirsy11
21st March 2005, 07:57 AM
Ok, entries are closed. The bracket that Trung was so nice to draw up is official. Well done Trungy, looks great......The only exception is Jono's bye. If Pete wants in, and Jono is ok with it, then he can have his official entry. Again, it is 100% Jono's call if he chooses to allow the entry as he is the one with a bye or not.

So, how long do we need to get these 1st round matches done? Can everyone get it done by April 23rd? If it can't get done by then, the winner will be decided by coin toss. I know that sucks, but it's the only way to get it done.

Good luck in round 1 everyone, except you Grunt 8)

Speirsy

Fishman Dan
21st March 2005, 09:06 AM
Guys, one question - how the hell am i ranked 5th? I've dead-set played to my handicap once in 15 months :oops:

Trung
21st March 2005, 09:13 AM
Fishman, all matchplay rankings are based on the Ozgolf Order Of Merit.

amanda
21st March 2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks for organising Trung & Rob - 23rd April sounds good to me!

Trung
21st March 2005, 10:20 AM
Can everyone get it done by April 23rd? If it can't get done by then, the winner will be decided by coin toss.

Open memo to all my potential opponents,

I will not accept a match "be decided" by a coin toss :wink: .

Speirsy11
21st March 2005, 10:37 AM
Can everyone get it done by April 23rd? If it can't get done by then, the winner will be decided by coin toss.

Open memo to all my potential opponents,

I will not accept a match "be decided" by a coin toss :wink: .
Better keep that calender clear then eh?

Speirsy

3oneday
21st March 2005, 01:52 PM
If Pete wants in, and Jono is ok with it, then he can have his official entry.Happy to have a crack Jono ?? be a good warmup match for you :wink: ............. or me :wink: :lol: :lol:

Pete

markTHEblake
21st March 2005, 02:05 PM
Spiersy. the AGU guidelines for Matchplay competitions is "full difference of stroke handicaps", and thats what we are following as well as the guidelines for the matchplay index and the draw.

to do it any other way would cause a discussion.

Jono
21st March 2005, 02:08 PM
Guys, one question - how the hell am i ranked 5th? I've dead-set played to my handicap once in 15 months :oops:

Hey, you get to play the long drive guy ... :wink: Quick tip. Find the shortest course in Sydney ... in fact, see if you can get Stephen to agree to playing on a pitch'n'putt course ... :lol:

Jono
21st March 2005, 02:13 PM
If Pete wants in, and Jono is ok with it, then he can have his official entry.Happy to have a crack Jono ?? be a good warmup match for you :wink: ............. or me :wink: :lol: :lol:

Pete

Should be a good match, Pete. Game on ... :lol:

Jono
21st March 2005, 02:15 PM
Shame that TS and Speirsy aren't playing each other. It might have looked something like this:

http://ralph.ninemsn.com.au/media/video/MillerLightChicks.wmv

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

Trung
21st March 2005, 02:18 PM

Pete

Should be a good match, Pete. Game on ... :lol:

I better amend the table then 8) .

http://img233.exs.cx/img233/9127/matchplay1fb.jpg

3oneday
21st March 2005, 02:19 PM

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:I haven't see Speirsy, but Jono I can assure you TS don't look nothin like that :lol: :lol: :lol:

amanda
21st March 2005, 02:54 PM
Woohoo! First round victory for me :wink:

Fishman Dan
21st March 2005, 05:17 PM

Hey, you get to play the long drive guy ... :wink: Quick tip. Find the shortest course in Sydney ... in fact, see if you can get Stephen to agree to playing on a pitch'n'putt course ... :lol:

That's all i need to do Jono - find a course when he can drive every green, or use wedge at worst :?

I think i'll have to resort to sledging, scratching, kicking, or if all of that fails - compliments. :roll:

Speirsy11
21st March 2005, 05:51 PM
Shame that TS and Speirsy aren't playing each other. It might have looked something like this:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://rapidshare.de/files/937221/Drake_-_Mair.wmv.html

or

http://www.hockeyfights.com Check out the video section :)

Speirsy

TS
21st March 2005, 07:00 PM

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:I haven't see Speirsy, but Jono I can assure you TS don't look nothin like that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pete. I agree, I am much better looking!

Speirsy11
21st March 2005, 07:04 PM

Pete. I agree, I am much better looking!

That makes two of us! Jono, you don't give us enough credit!!!
:cry:

Speirsy

markTHEblake
21st March 2005, 08:46 PM
Trung - did you use Visio for the organisation chart?

Fishman Dan
21st March 2005, 09:01 PM

or

Speirsy

Oh Rob, that's pure gold. Golf clap to you =D>

Speirsy11
21st March 2005, 09:20 PM

or

Speirsy

Oh Rob, that's pure gold. Golf clap to you =D>

The boys can battle in the NHL can't they? That website has some beauties, especially in the forums section where users can post their own vids......

Speirsy

Fishman Dan
21st March 2005, 09:27 PM
They can have some great blues.... except when they bicker about how many millions they are going to receive over a winter.. :roll:

I grew up playing Ice Hockey games on computers - perfect mix of senseless violence with the aim of scoring goals. Great leveller with your mates ;) :lol:

Trung
21st March 2005, 11:11 PM
Trung - did you use Visio for the organisation chart?

Powerpoint mate 8)

burger
23rd March 2005, 06:31 PM
Burger, can you confirm with BigAL asap? Tell me a little bit about this chap, what is his hcp and at which golf course? :lol:

Big Al is in!

he is a fine gent of English extraction, also (like myself) of more mature age who was previously a member @ Asquith. However he now has handicap @ Riverside Oaks of 22.

He is a keen golfer, tho restricted (again like myself) by family responsibilities!
Hope this helps . . . .

He's probably not in your league for all nighters tho, trungie . . . :wink:

stu

Trung
23rd March 2005, 07:28 PM

Big Al is in!

he is a fine gent of English extraction, also (like myself) of more mature age who was previously a member @ Asquith. However he now has handicap @ Riverside Oaks of 22.

He is a keen golfer, tho restricted (again like myself) by family responsibilities!
Hope this helps . . . .

He's probably not in your league for all nighters tho, trungie . . . :wink:

stu

Tell him nicely that he is dead meat, my R7 will take care of him in the carpark prior to the game. :wink:

burger
24th March 2005, 01:37 PM
Can I suggest another Bayview Invitational day for the first round of the matchplay???

The more on one day the merrier I reckon, and no JONO didn't put me up to this.

Just a thought . . . . .

stu

Fishman Dan
24th March 2005, 02:11 PM
Can I suggest another Bayview Invitational day for the first round of the matchplay???

The more on one day the merrier I reckon, and no JONO didn't put me up to this.

Just a thought . . . . .

stu

I'm in favour. Seeing as though my opponent hails from Liverpool - and i've sworn never to swing a club in anger at that joint again :oops: :?

3oneday
24th March 2005, 02:35 PM
i've sworn never to swing a club in anger at that joint again :oops: :?when did you play golf there :wink: :?: :roll:

:lol: :lol:

Jono
24th March 2005, 03:25 PM
i've sworn never to swing a club in anger at that joint again :oops: :?when did you play golf there :wink: :?: :roll:

OUCH!! Double OUCH!! That must hurt, Fishie ... :wink: Man, that must hurt more than Speirsy's "L.O.F.T" comment ... :lol:

As to another Bayview Invitational, show me some interest, and I'll organise it. 8)

Speirsy11
24th March 2005, 05:13 PM

OUCH!! Double OUCH!! That must hurt, Fishie ... :wink: Man, that must hurt more than Speirsy's "L.O.F.T" comment ... :lol:

As to another Bayview Invitational, show me some interest, and I'll organise it. 8)

In

Speirsy

Jono
24th March 2005, 09:40 PM
This post is mainly directed at our number 1 seed, the only player to get a bye first round ... AMANDA. I know it is past due date, but Gary (formerly of Advantage Clubmakers, now with his own business, Custom Golf Services) has just joined Ozgolf (customclubmaker). He would like to play in the NSW match play comp, if possible. Since Pete snuck into the draw past the due date, I was wondering if Amanda (and others) would mind Gary joining in. No matches have been played yet, so how about it? If it is OK with Mandy, Gary can come in as the 16th seed and play against the favourite. :wink: He plays off 9, BTW.

3oneday
24th March 2005, 10:08 PM
Current rankings:

1. Amanda
2. Jono
3. Trung
4. Speirsy
5. Fishman
6. Burger
7. Zipptop
8. Jimandr
9. CoffsH
10. TS
11. Virgil
12. Auslongdriver
13. Grunt
14. Big AL
15. Pete AKA 3oneday?
16. _______

"Jono vs Pete" (Speirsy & I would love to watch). I want to see which one of the two will choke under pressure :twisted: . no late entries here, 10.20pm on Robs last day of 20/3 as per Trung :P :P back 2 pages Jono 8) :lol:

Jono
24th March 2005, 10:23 PM
no late entries here, 10.20pm on Robs last day of 20/3 as per Trung :P :P back 2 pages Jono 8) :lol:

Scroll up a bit on the same page ...

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:55 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, if anyone knows someone who wants in, get them in before 6pm tonight. After that we are CLOSED and the draw gets done. Also, I think it is a good idea if we have a play-by date to limit how long this takes. Does 4 weeks sound like enough for each match?

Speirsy

I am afraid Trung was late by some 4 hours ... but then what's 4 hours between us Ozgolfers ... and what's 4 DAYS between us Ozgolfers ... right? :wink: :lol: :lol: C'mon guys ... 16 is a perfect number ... :wink:

Trung
24th March 2005, 11:02 PM
Jono, you wanna be technical huh? :P

here you go... :wink:

Ozgolf Matchplay Rules.

1. Major event: Regions. The event will be played out in different regions, eg Sydney, SEQ, and so on. If any area can come up with the numbers (ie 8 ) then go ahead and join in.

2. Minor Event: National Titles. The winner of the largest region has the right to host a national title against other finalists at time and place of his/her reasonable choosing, or whatever, this is not the main event.

3. Individuals will arrange their own matches at a mutually agreed course. Its expected No golfer will insist on playing at their own club (see #4: appeal). In the interests of camaraderie try and stick to official Ozgolf days.

4. There will be a set date for each round of matches to be played. If a match is not played both competitors are disqualified, unless one forfeits. A player may appeal this to the committee should he think the opponent did not make fair effort to arrange a match.
Approx 1 to 2 months will be given to arrange a match, about 12 months for the whole event.

5. Full AGU Handicap as at the date of the match applies, verifiable by golf link or other official source. AGU matchplay index to be used.

6. The matches will be seeded as per the POTY money list as at date of the draw. If golfers are not on the money list then seeded according to number of posts to forum, then by random.

7. Matches halved at the 18th hole to be played sudden death. Where this is not feasable, work something out or replay another day.

8. Cost is $2 per player per match except the final. 1st, 2nd and 3rd will receive a winners check of 60%, 30% and 10% respectively. Money to be deposited to a bank account somewhere.

9. POTY money will be huge. Probably double the amount for every round. will work this out once we have field numbers.

10. Nominations to be received by the 20/3/05, draw will be released by 31/3/05. Please nominate your freinds if you know that they will want to play, and we can see if we can kick it off earlier.

11. Eligibility, Ozgolf members and their partners/families. No ring ins.

12. Numbers in each pool should be limited to 4,8, 16, 32 etc. To fit as many in as we can, there will either be a small number of byes in the first round, or a small number of reserves. eg if there are 14 players, there will be two byes, if 19 players there will be 3 reserves.

13. Participation is compulsory. Penalty for not playing is a fine of $20000 in POTY earnings.

14. Sponsorship welcome.

15. Suggestions please

Onewood
25th March 2005, 12:32 AM
Trungie, I thought you where a good sport :roll: let the new boy play :D

I think it's Amanda's call :P

Yes if someone new joined from Brisbane and wanted to play...I would forgo the Bye :wink:

Jarro
25th March 2005, 03:45 AM
Yes if someone new joined from Brisbane and wanted to play...I would forgo the Bye :wink:

Hey that's great Onewood .....

.. there's a guy from work that plays off +2 who wants in, i'll tell him he's playing you in the first round :wink: :P

Speirsy11
25th March 2005, 06:09 AM

.. there's a guy from work that plays off +2 who wants in, i'll tell him he's playing you in the first round :wink: :P

Who cares if he's off +2....It's net remember? :roll:

Trung
25th March 2005, 06:11 AM
Trungie, I thought you where a good sport :roll: let the new boy play :D

I think it's Amanda's call :P

Onewood, I have no problem with anyone new mate 8) ... My post above is refering to the 3oneday senario :wink:

Onewood
25th March 2005, 09:36 AM

Good point Speirsy :D

Coz that way I wouldn't have to face the best Pennant player/ matchplayer that Emmy Lakes has ever produced :D

Trungie, you're just being difficult :D I know you to well and It would'nt worry you who played :wink: :D

markTHEblake
25th March 2005, 05:20 PM
I am sure you will all agree with the underlying principles of the guidelines I drafted, which were;

- if we dont have any rules there would be total anarchy

- that this slack mob pulled their fingers out and nominated by a due date ;-) Obviously if someone wants to join in after the draw is done, then they just slot into one of the Bye games if there are any.

- that this whole event is to cater for the members of the forum only, otherwise known as a 'closed' championship, to build on the freindships that we have built so far (in the typical aussie way by sledging our heads off).

I am sure everyone agrees that the last thing we want to see is that someone joins the forum just because they wanted to play in the matchplay. If they are not a forum junkie already (how many of us go to other forums regularilily - i have about 6), then typically this kind of person wont be a contributor and wont stay.

Therefore none of us should be inviting 'mates' to play in the matchplay - but rather you should be inviting your mates to participate in the forum. And if you do, then do not help your mate arrange the games, he should be logging on and working em out him self and being part of the community.

If we do end up with someone who is a non contributor and begins to win their way through the matchplay rounds, i would go so far as to suggest that they be Dq'd. Harsh i know, but if they dont belong here then they dont belong in the event.

This is not the same as a normal Ozgolf event where getting extra numbers is a fantastic way to spread the ozgolf message. Its about two people going out alone on a Sunday afternoon, playing their match and then posting the report in the evening on the website. If its Trung gets beaten by Dave ?Who? then its not going to be much of a read....

Thats just my thoughts when i started this up.

Jono
25th March 2005, 06:31 PM
Mark,

As always, I have utmost respect for your insight into the psychology and inner workings of this community we call Ozgolf ... :wink: And I appreciate the amount of work you put in to organize things like POTY. However, I beg to differ with your views on this occasion. The great thing about internet communities like this is the OPEN nature of it. It is open for anyone with a common interest which in this case is golf. It's not some exclusive club where a bunch of old farts sit around a mahogany table smoking cigars.

We have some 110 members in this group, and some contribute more than others. So does this mean those who have more posts next to their names have more rights than others? Should we exclude all "non-contributers" just because their matches won't be "much of a read"?

Building friendships are great, but I don't think it should be at the expense of not meeting new people. Yes, I did encourage Gary to join Ozgolf, and yes I did encourage him to play in the NSW match play event. As those of us who have met him already know, he is a great guy who I think will contribute positively to this forum. What if he wins the matchplay event and then never posts again? Yes, that could happen. Especially if he gets too busy with his new clubmaking business and also his young family. So what? In the end, we are all here to have some fun, aren't we?

There are 16 spots in the NSW table. 15 are filled. None of the regulars are stepping forward to fill the last spot. Why can't a new member fill that spot? If it is because we want to increase the chance of a "regular" member winning the competition, I think we have lost some of the egalitarian spirit that makes this forum great.

End of speech.

Onewood
25th March 2005, 07:15 PM
2 good points put foreward and the one thing that come's out of it for me is that, Gary is not only a friend of Jono but a friend to a few NSW Ozgolfers 8) so to me he's already a regular to some 8)

I also agree with Mark that just getting a friend to fill up the numbers is not the way to go......

So welcome Gary and I hope to meet you at the Club Champs :D

3oneday
25th March 2005, 08:21 PM
There are 16 spots in the NSW table. 15 are filled. sounds fine to me, I was with Trungly being difficult, personally I couldn't give two tosses if we found 5 new members to further prop up the draw. The 6pm thing was a late addition I thought :wink: .

Pete :lol: :lol:

PS bring it on :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Trung
25th March 2005, 08:28 PM
I was with Trungly being difficult

Is this the new eBay language? :twisted:

Jarro
25th March 2005, 08:29 PM

i meant that he's a good player .. you know.. being off +2 :roll:

oh forget it #-o :smt011

Speirsy11
25th March 2005, 08:32 PM

i meant that he's a good player .. you know.. being off +2 :roll:

oh forget it #-o :smt011

Jarro
25th March 2005, 08:43 PM

so you're playing in this now :?: :smt017

3oneday
25th March 2005, 08:48 PM

so you're playing in this now :?: :smt017oh shit mate, where have you been ??? oh hang on, earning triple time at work ?? right :P :P

Yes mate, getting down and shirty, pick a hole :? 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pete

Trung
25th March 2005, 09:00 PM

good moderator you are :lol:

Jarro
25th March 2005, 09:12 PM

good moderator you are :lol:

shudup you .. or else look out :smt021

I thought Pete said earlier that he wanted no part in this :smt017

good thing he said he would though ... you guys are a bit skinny on numbers :P :lol:

3oneday
25th March 2005, 10:36 PM
I thought Pete said earlier that he wanted no part in this :smt017 only planning the one game mate 8) 8)

Pete

Jono
25th March 2005, 11:49 PM
Amanda,

I think it's your call. Either way, I don't think Gary would mind. I just thought this would be a good introduction for him into Ozgolfhood ... And since you already know him ... Anyway, let us know either way how you feel about this.

Speirsy11
26th March 2005, 07:03 AM
good thing he said he would though ... you guys are a bit skinny on numbers :P :lol:

True, we do have a smaller field, but so does the Masters.....Would you rather win that? Or the Nationwide Topeka Classic with a field of 181 players?

And before you say it, yes, it is the same thing....It's depth of field that counts, not size :wink: .......

Speirsy

AndyP
26th March 2005, 04:23 PM
Amanda,

I think it's your call. Either way, I don't think Gary would mind. I just thought this would be a good introduction for him into Ozgolfhood ... And since you already know him ... Anyway, let us know either way how you feel about this.
It's unfair to make it Amanda's call. Of course she is going to say yes, she is such a nice lass. I think it is a decision that needs to be made by the forum, or the NSW draw at least.
Did I hear someone say poll?

Eag's
26th March 2005, 05:12 PM
Bloody hell people just put the poor bloke in for gods sake!! :roll:
We are not playing for sheep stations here, lets just get on with it and have some fun eh :?:

Onewood
26th March 2005, 05:23 PM
We are not playing for sheep stations here, lets just get on with it and have some fun eh :?:

Thats the easy way 8) I think I heard someone say "let the games begin :D "

Jono
26th March 2005, 05:27 PM

Mate, that is too bloody sensible. :lol: I like your style ... :wink: In fact, I feel that our friendship (that we have already built) is building even more ... :smt008

3oneday
26th March 2005, 08:48 PM
In fact, I feel that our friendship (that we have already built) is building even more ... :smt008
:^o bet you say that to all the girls :smt011

:smt078

Jono
27th March 2005, 05:09 AM

You'd better bring your A game with you on Monday ... cos you are going DOWN! :twisted: And no, I don't say THAT to all the girls ... :wink: :lol:

Speirsy11
27th March 2005, 07:51 AM

You'd better bring your A game with you on Monday ... cos you are going DOWN! :twisted: And no, I don't say THAT to all the girls ... :wink: :lol:

I do.....and not just on Mondays :twisted:

3oneday
27th March 2005, 08:25 AM
You'd better bring your A game with you on Monday ... cos you are going DOWN!
now.... is that really necessary :?: :?: :smt075

I would have thought my C game was more appropriate :smt056 :twisted: :twisted:

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smt081

Trung
28th March 2005, 12:31 PM
You'd better bring your A game with you on Monday ... cos you are going DOWN!
now.... is that really necessary :?: :?: :smt075

I would have thought my C game was more appropriate :smt056 :twisted: :twisted:

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smt081

It was Jono with the big trash talk but forgot to bring his A-Game. :wink:

3oneday took Jono's advice and bought his A-Game :lol:

Speirsys and I was there to see the demolition of Jono :shock: .

3oneday took it out 6 & 5......and that was the good part... It could have been worst :shock: :shock: :shock: .

Jarro
28th March 2005, 12:37 PM
bad luck Jono :(

now to more important issues :P

How did Pete hit his new driver :?: :wink:

Onewood
28th March 2005, 12:46 PM
Bad luck Jono...looks like you where beat by a better player.....ON THE DAY :D well done 3oneday =D> 6/5 is the biggest winning margin to date 8) with Nudgee doing Griz 4/3

Trung
28th March 2005, 05:21 PM

Pete was good with the driver today "High and Long".

ps. only one dodgy snap hook on the 8th (cos the water was waiting on the right :twisted: ).

Speirsy11
28th March 2005, 05:25 PM

Pete was good with the driver today "High and Long".

ps. only one dodgy snap hook on the 8th (cos the water was waiting on the right :twisted: ).

He did hit that thing pretty well.....Can't wait to get my R7 tomorrow :D ....

Well played today 3oneday, see you in the final :lol:

Speirsy

Grunt
28th March 2005, 07:22 PM
Got to beat me first Rob :lol:

Had to add it I could not help myself.

You never really know if I am going to put it all together when we play and play like the 14 -15 marker I know that I have inside. :D

Then again I could play like the 36 marker that sometimes appears and it will be over reall quick 9 & 8. :oops:

Eag's
28th March 2005, 07:34 PM
Bummer Jono :( It sucks bigtime when you have days like that.
Better luck next time mate :wink:

Jono
28th March 2005, 07:59 PM
Bummer Jono :( It sucks bigtime when you have days like that.
Better luck next time mate :wink:

Thanks mate. It was one of those "why do I play this stupid game" days ... :lol: Probably due for a lesson, although Speirsy gave me a pretty good tip at the range. Need to work on the short game a bit more too ...

Trung: Speak to the hand. =; I only speak to the players, not their caddies ... 8)

Trung
28th March 2005, 08:04 PM
Trung: Speak to the hand. =;
:smt109 :smt116

jimandr
28th March 2005, 09:30 PM
My unpublished form guide had Jono as one of the favourites, so I see the result as an upset. It probably isn't a positive, but I'd rather lose 6 and 5 to someone who played well, rather than 1 down after playing badly. 3oneday must now rocket in to near favouritism :P

A question regarding the conduct of the event. Being matchplay within a stableford comp, how did you deal with gimme's?

Do you agree not to give any, or did you declare the gimme and putt out anyway?

Onewood
28th March 2005, 09:56 PM
My unpublished form guide had Jono as one of the favourites, so I see the result as an upset. It probably isn't a positive, but I'd rather lose 6 and 5 to someone who played well, rather than 1 down after playing badly. 3oneday must now rocket in to near favouritism :P

A question regarding the conduct of the event. Being matchplay within a stableford comp, how did you deal with gimme's?

Do you agree not to give any, or did you declare the gimme and putt out anyway?
Jim in the first match up here Nudgee and Griz where giving gimme's and then putting out 8) mainly to let that player play out of turn and tap in to keep the Comp game going....

Be careful though, Griz nearly picked up on one hole :shock: tapping in for a 4 a 3 :D

3oneday
29th March 2005, 07:32 AM

I think Trung and Jono will concur, whoever is due to play Spiersy through this should be afraid :shock: , verrryyy afraid :shock: nobble, is a word that comes to mind :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Pete

Onewood
29th March 2005, 08:15 AM

I think Trung and Jono will concur, whoever is due to play Spiersy through this should be afraid :shock: , verrryyy afraid :shock: nobble, is a word that comes to mind :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Pete

Grunt, don't let them put you off :D I've played a round with spiersy and yes he hit's it long :shock: but as they say drive for show and putt for...........make him putt the 1 footers and you'll do him easy :lol: :lol:

Speirsy11
29th March 2005, 10:08 AM

Pete

Grunt, don't let them put you off :D I've played a round with spiersy and yes he hit's it long :shock: but as they say drive for show and putt for...........make him putt the 1 footers and you'll do him easy :lol: :lol:

Now THATS funny....not playing on grainy bermuda grass down here....I putt better then I drive it on smooth greens...... :P

Jono
29th March 2005, 10:22 AM

Pete

Agreed that Speirsy is the favourite for the NSW half, especially if he starts playing regular golf leading up to his matches. His length off the tee is impressive, but what impressed me the most was how he got out of trouble when he missed his tee shot. Comes from experience and playing against top golfers, I suppose.

Anyway, Grant, no need to be afraid. Just play your normal game (hopefully the 15 marker inside you will decide to come out ... :wink: :lol: ) and use it as a learning experience. Not everyday you get to play someone of Rob's caliber.

Grunt
29th March 2005, 11:23 AM
I will be totally honest, I am not in this to win, just to play with good people.

Seeing as it seems I am just about written off as a chance of beating Rob, he could treat this as a practice round for when he has to play someone good.

I may as well play it at a course I am deemed no chance as the margin might be good and I can take some positives out of it. If I play well and get done 7 & 8 or the like. I want it to be at a course where I will be able to say I beat the course but couldn't beat Rob.

3oneday
29th March 2005, 11:37 AM
I will be totally honest, I am not in this to win, just to play with good people.

Seeing as it seems I am just about written off as a chance of beating Rob, he could treat this as a practice round for when he has to play someone good.
Grant, no one is no chance in handicap match play, sorry if it came across that way. My point was that Rob is probably closer to a scratch marker than 4, so, it comes down to the day. If Rob plays to his potential on a course he is familiar with, he should shoot close to par.

All you have to do is shoot a bogey per hole and sometimes better (assuming someone said you were off 23 ??) and you'll towel him up. Even as good as Rob is, no one likes to give away a shot a hole :D 8)

Anyone would get something out of playing with Rob, hopefully you will as well. Even better, if it is in a comp round, you get 18 holes anyway 8)

Pete

amanda
29th March 2005, 11:43 AM
Jono - no worries - I am happy to play Gary in the first round - and yes it's because I'm a nice lass 8) . My apologies for the late delay too - been away for Easter.

Where is he a member? Bayview?

markTHEblake
29th March 2005, 11:47 AM
My point was that Rob is probably closer to a scratch marker than 4,

so what are you saying, is he on Scratch or 4?

i thought someone said he is on +1

Fishman Dan
29th March 2005, 11:49 AM

Well said Grant - mind you.. "good" people? :roll: Should be fun though playing this matchplay stuff.

Fact is though - Rob has to do all the hard work to beat you, if you stay on or near fairways all day.

Good golf (punching out from rough, 2-putting) will win you this - don't be overwhelmed by Rob's distance off the tee ;)

Trung
29th March 2005, 11:51 AM

Rob is off 4 and is the biggest burgler in AUSTRALIA. :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil:

8)

3oneday
29th March 2005, 12:18 PM

was that really that hard ??? :roll: :wink:

markTHEblake
29th March 2005, 12:31 PM

was that really that hard ??? :roll: :wink:

:roll: oh thats right, i already said that.

customclubmaker
29th March 2005, 12:54 PM
Jono - no worries - I am happy to play Gary in the first round - and yes it's because I'm a nice lass 8) . My apologies for the late delay too - been away for Easter.

Where is he a member? Bayview?

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for giving up your bye. Jono talked me into it. :lol:

Yes, I am a member at Bayview. Handicap 9. Why don't you give me a call at the shop on 9949 8899, and we'll arrange the game?

Fishman Dan
29th March 2005, 01:36 PM

Rob is off 4 and is the biggest burgler in AUSTRALIA. :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil:

8)

What? You mean the guy who allegedly holds the course record at Cypress Lakes?? :shock: ;) (ACR 75?)

Flowergirl
29th March 2005, 04:56 PM
Go Grant!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm rooting for the under dog :twisted: ( sorry Rob - my golf relates to Grant's - not yours- which is lucky for you!) :wink:

Ducky
29th March 2005, 05:19 PM
Where are you playing these match play games at?

8-[

Jono
29th March 2005, 07:12 PM
Where are you playing these match play games at?

8-[

Anywhere, and everywhere ... :lol: I played my match against Pete at Trung's home course, Carnarvon. The idea is to find a neutral ground where neither player has home course advantage.

We've got a player (CoffsH) who is flying all the way down from Coffs Harbour to play against Jimandr. :shock: I hope Jim plays a good host ... :wink:

Speirsy11
30th March 2005, 07:44 PM
Wow, I miss like 12 hours and there are a lot of posts about me.....I feel like Tiger :lol:

I'm off 4 according to Golflink, although my membership is lapsed since I'm not surrently a member of an Australian Club. Haven't been off +1 since 2002 when I actually got to play more then once a fortnight.....

Fishy, aparently someone shot 66 at Cypress about a month ago, which smashes the 70 I shot (Which was aparently the record at the time :? According to the guy in the shop at least.....I'm surprised nobody has shot about 62 there since it is so wide open..... :wink: but I guess since they don't hold many real events there not many good players play there)...

Trung, when Jono gets hot and hits fairways, his 10 is a bigger joke then my 4.......

Grunt, you have more then a decent chance to wipe the floor with me. I have to give you like 19 shots or something right? There is a reason low markers don't win these kinds of things.....ever.....Either way, it'll be fun....

And FGirl.....Where's the love? :cry:

My pick for the fav is actually ALD....I hear he's a closet scratch.....IF he gets by Fishy that is......with 3oneday as a close second, especially if he plays the way he did on the back nine on Monday....Cool as the underside of the pillow 8)

Speirsy

Trung
30th March 2005, 10:00 PM
Wow, I miss like 12 hours and there are a lot of posts about me.....I feel like Tiger :lol:

I'm off 4 according to Golflink, although my membership is lapsed since I'm not surrently a member of an Australian Club. Haven't been off +1 since 2002 when I actually got to play more then once a fortnight.....

Hey Tiger, according to my book.. Your off scratch as you don't have a hcp :wink: .

Then again, I'm happy to give you 2 shots anytime of the week. I know I'm 2 shots better than you... :twisted: :twisted:

Speirsy11
30th March 2005, 10:42 PM

Hey Tiger, according to my book.. Your off scratch as you don't have a hcp :wink: .

Then again, I'm happy to give you 2 shots anytime of the week. I know I'm 2 shots better than you... :twisted: :twisted:

I get one a side from you? Sounds great, and bring your cheque book :wink:

AndyP
31st March 2005, 09:44 AM
There is a reason low markers don't win these kinds of things.....ever
I disagree Speirsy, a 5/6 marker won the handicap matchplay event at my club last year.
He gave the runner-up (me) 7 or 8 shots in the final, but I think he gave more to some of the guys he played in the previous rounds.

markTHEblake
31st March 2005, 10:30 AM

according to my book, Trung is off scratch. I looked you up on GolfLink and you are not there!

Trung
31st March 2005, 07:53 PM
hey markTHEblake, seeing that your hcp is 6.1, it is just a matter of time before I have to give you a shot. :wink:

Speirsy11
31st March 2005, 08:14 PM
I disagree Speirsy, a 5/6 marker won the handicap matchplay event at my club last year.
He gave the runner-up (me) 7 or 8 shots in the final, but I think he gave more to some of the guys he played in the previous rounds.

Well then, never mind :roll:

On most occasions, slashes have a better chance at these things cause they tend to lose a lot of shots on a few holes and grind out a bunch of pars and bogeys for the rest. So, rather then lose a bunch of shots, they lose only one hole......

Grunt
31st March 2005, 08:19 PM
am I a slash then? :lol:

AndyP
31st March 2005, 09:05 PM

On most occasions, slashes have a better chance at these things cause they tend to lose a lot of shots on a few holes and grind out a bunch of pars and bogeys for the rest. So, rather then lose a bunch of shots, they lose only one hole......
Speirsy, if you don't think you can win it, then just say so. But if you are going to keep making excuses before you even play the first round, then that's just sad.

Grunt, you can take him, his bark appears to be much worse than his bite.

Flowergirl
31st March 2005, 10:51 PM
Speirsy......the love is still there for ya man..............but I gotta root for the underdog :wink:

Jarro
1st April 2005, 04:20 AM
let's face the facts .......

... Grunt ....... YOU'RE GAWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNN :!: :!:

sorry mate, i just think Rob will win,that's all :wink:

Good luck to you both anyway 8)

3oneday
1st April 2005, 05:12 AM
am I a slash then? :lol:no, you were off taking one .....

gees you blokes talk it up :P , has a date been decided for this "match for the ages" yet :?: :?:

Jono
1st April 2005, 07:26 AM
AndyP,

Low markers always whinge when they play against C graders ... :wink:

Grunt,

Here's a hint for ya. Find a course with lots of OB and water on the left. :wink:

Good luck to both of you now you've got the whole forum eyeing the result ... :lol:

Grunt
1st April 2005, 07:28 AM
Well who would have thought when I entered this matchplay Championship that I would be in the most talked about match.

What is going to happen if somehow due to an act of god or something that I get up. Will the hype just get bigger and drag me through the draw. Oh wait on it is April 1 so I guess it is just a dream.

3oneday there is a tentative date if we cant find another of The Vintage on April 17.

As I said earlier this is just a game to me, being a realist even if I do get past Rob, I have to do it 4 more times nad those of you who have played with me know how consistently inconsistant I am.

Let the game just happen and lets see what is the outcome.

3oneday
1st April 2005, 07:43 AM
Low markers always whinge when they play against C graders ... :wink: it's true you know, a few years ago I played a guy who I had to give 19 shots to, I recall having a bird on one hole only to lose the hole :shock: :shock:

I think it should be an interesting result/match.

Go boys, 17/4 is too far away :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pete

Speirsy11
1st April 2005, 09:13 AM

Speirsy, if you don't think you can win it, then just say so. But if you are going to keep making excuses before you even play the first round, then that's just sad.

Grunt, you can take him, his bark appears to be much worse than his bite.

No excuses you clown, it was more a statement of fact. So many guys have Grunt going down 10&8, and I'm just saying that it really isn't that simple. I fully expect to clean his clock, but if I don't, then so be it. I've played in more then enough tournaments to know that anyone can be beaten on any given day, especially in a net event.

FG, I understand :cry: .......

Grunt, believe me, this match has no reason to be the most talked about anything. It's two guys who really aren't that good to begin with in the grand scheme of things. Lets just go play some golf and see what happens. Also, I was refering to Andy as the slash. PM me your mobile number and we'll see if we can't get it done this weekend sometime. I look forward to hearing from you.

Speirsy

Virgal_Tracy
1st April 2005, 09:59 AM
Burger and I have arranged to play at NSW Oz Golf Central i.e. Carnarvon on Thursday 14th at 1pm. They told me it was a walkup start. Open invitation to anyone else available to join us for what promises to be a friendly and interesting round.

In Burger's words:

PS should I let you know I'm a matchplay virgin?

I've only had the one matchplay event so it will really be like 2 teenagers fumbling around in the dark, but enjoyable none the less[/quote]

3oneday
1st April 2005, 10:01 AM

I've only had the one matchplay event so it will really be like 2 teenagers fumbling around in the dark, but enjoyable none the lessI like to watch :twisted: :twisted:

Speirsy11
1st April 2005, 02:07 PM

I've only had the one matchplay event so it will really be like 2 teenagers fumbling around in the dark, but enjoyable none the lessI like to watch :twisted: :twisted:

Flowergirl
1st April 2005, 06:35 PM
Speirsy...................clean his clock?????????????? Please explain.

And two male virgins on a golf course together...........OH WHY DO I LIVE IN VICTORIA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

and GO GRANT, GO GRANT - RAH, RAH, RAH.............For those who haven't met me - imagine me in a little cheerleader outfit. For those who have met me - yep I agree - now would be a good time to get that therapy to get the image out of your head. :smt037

Speirsy11
1st April 2005, 08:14 PM
"Clean his clock" is an old hockey term. If I really kick someone's ass in a fight on the ice I've cleaned his clock....no idea where it came from, but I've heard it forever in the form of "Gee Speirsy, that guy cleaned your clock" :lol: .......Afterall, when you have 60 fights in 5 years of junior hockey and only win 20 of them, you hear lots of stuff like that :oops:

And as for that Cheerleader outfit :D Yum yum gimmie some :D :P ...Think Natalie could borrow it when we are in Melbourne? :wink:

Speirsy11

AndyP
6th April 2005, 09:45 AM
Results thread updated after Jim's big win.

http://ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36621

burger
15th April 2005, 12:53 PM
Congratulations to Virgal_tracy (aka Vince) on his 4 & 3 win!

We turned with Vince 1 up and I have to admit to falling apart on back 9.
However I had a ball and think Vince did too and we managed without tooooo much fumbling about in the dark, tho like most with things you can always do better than your "first time".

Vince was solid ALL (bloody) day and EXTREMELY solid with chips, pitches & putts. Up & down all day!!!!!

I enjoyed the outing at Carnarvon, Thanks for the day Vince, well played!

3oneday
15th April 2005, 01:02 PM
Congratulations to Virgal_tracy (aka Vince) on his 4 & 3 win!still sounds like one of you finished prematurely, Stuey :?: :?:

Well done Virg.....in........al :wink:

Pete

Trung
15th April 2005, 02:45 PM
Burger, where is Big AL? :roll:

3oneday
15th April 2005, 04:02 PM
Burger, where is Big AL? :roll:6 weeks Trung, in a rush to be a loser :P :P :?: :!: :!:

Trung
15th April 2005, 07:30 PM
Burger, where is Big AL? :roll:6 weeks Trung, in a rush to be a loser :P :P :?: :!: :!:

:smt102 :smt102 :smt102

We will talk again after The Vintage.. I want to see where I'm at with my matchplay form :smt109 .

Virgal_Tracy
17th April 2005, 06:28 PM
Burger provided you with the result and also pretty much represented how I felt about the day. I had a great time with great company. To show how much I mean it I would be saying that even if Stu had maintained his front 9 form and beat me.

I did feel as though i played solid but Burger didn't tell you that he didn't have much luck on the day. I really wouldn't like to play him if he had been playing more often.

If we are really, really nice to Burger he may arrange for an OzGolf day at Riverside Oaks.

Thanks again Stu and I llok forward to seeing more of you at future days.

To Trung or Big Al I'm looking forward to the next round. Especially for you Trung, I finished up shooting 83 for the day. Nothing spectacular I hear you say; consider I played off of 20 so 9 under h'cap.

Now that you have started shaking I'll admit we played off of the whites so now everyone can relax and not accuse me of being a burglar.

Speirsy11
17th April 2005, 09:34 PM
Just a note to all the NSW guys, remember your matches are to be finished by April 23rd.......Or we go to the dreaded coin toss.....

At least thats how I remember it.......

Speirsy11

jimandr
17th April 2005, 09:35 PM
We've done a lot of posting in the Vintage thread tonight, but for the benefit of Andy P and others, Spiersy defeated Grunt 3 and 1

I had the priviledge of watching the match, and it contained everything that is great about matchplay.

Grunt was nervous early and started badly, but brilliantly won the short 5th with a great up and down and realised he was a chance if he played his own game. From 3 down after 8, Grunt won 4 holes in row, all through his own good play, and Spiersy was a worried man at one down after 13, having been forced to make a birdie for a half.

From this point the tension took over. Grunt couldn't get off the tee at 15 and then at 16 to go 2 down, and then hit another bad shot into the hazard at 17 to give the game away.

Trung
17th April 2005, 09:37 PM
Just a note to all the NSW guys, remember your matches are to be finished by April 23rd.......Or we go to the dreaded coin toss.....

Speirsy11

I would hate it if Big AL wins the NSW division by default :roll: .

Is there anyone out there to play me in the first round? I'm an easy beat at the moment :wink: .

Speirsy11
17th April 2005, 09:39 PM

Speirsy11

I would hate it if Big AL wins the NSW division by default :roll: .

Is there anyone out there to play me in the first round? I'm an easy beat at the moment :wink: .

I agree. Trung has been here and trying to get the game going, but Big Al is MIA.......I think Trung may have acquired a Bye, but I guess it's up to the commitee.......

:lol:

3oneday
18th April 2005, 06:01 AM
Is there anyone out there to play me in the first round? I'm an easy beat at the moment :wink: .I'm happy to give you a practice loss :P :P :P just say the word :lol: :lol:

Pete