PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing ferrule join with hosel..

Minor_Threat
8th February 2010, 08:27 PM
A quick question for the club making gurus.

The ferrules I have are slighly too big (0.5mm maybe?) and overhang the hosel. What is the best way to smooth this edge..

In the old days I think it was acetone that we used?

razaar
8th February 2010, 08:30 PM
Not a clubfitter but have watched it being done many times - belt sander and a wipe over with acertone.

Minor_Threat
8th February 2010, 08:52 PM
Not a clubfitter but have watched it being done many times - belt sander and a wipe over with acertone.I dont have a belt sander, any other ideas?

rodders
8th February 2010, 08:58 PM
Dremel - great tool.

virge666
8th February 2010, 08:59 PM
sandpaper between thumb and two finger whilst spinning the shaft.

Wear down the offending ferrule and then acetone makes it shiney and smooth.

Very hard to do well - I find it easier to do before attaching the head. Rolling the ferrule on a flat table

Minor_Threat
9th February 2010, 05:57 PM
Well I just had a crack with straight Acetone on paper towel and **** me it is potent shit. It wore down the overhang on the ferrule no trouble.

Looking sweet as now!

virge666
9th February 2010, 06:18 PM
Use newspaper instead of paper towel - it gets rid of the rough edges and doesn;t fall apart in your hands.

Newspaper folded over twice - 4 layers - does a much better job.

TheNuclearOne
9th February 2010, 06:45 PM
Tho the visual quality isn't perfect this vid is a lil ripper. Apparently it's best to ground the ferrule down with sandpaper rather than acetone, which sure will do it but may make it out of round.

qec0QEe1z9M

virge666
9th February 2010, 06:55 PM
Always like a good "Hand operation method"

TheNuclearOne
9th February 2010, 07:12 PM
It seems pretty sound. I only do a ferrule here and there so have no need to hurry. Being in heavy production might be a bit different i guess.

Minor_Threat
9th February 2010, 08:33 PM
Cheers for the tip on the newspaper. There really isnt any need for the sandpaper as there is a bees dick of an edge to it.

I thought I had left streaks, but it has dried / cured really well.