PDA

View Full Version : The OZgolf Cricket Debates: Michael Bevan

AndyP
11th March 2005, 10:16 AM
Bevan is easily the best batmen playing domestic cricket this year. Have a look at his record this season.

Name...... Mat....I...NO...Runs...HS....Ave...100..50
MG Bevan..9*...17...3....1420..190..101.43..8....2
Record 8 centuries in a Shield season.
Record 1420 runs in a Shield season.
He may still have one innings left to play and he must have missed one match due to injury.

If the selectors are fair dinkum about rewarding domestic cricket form, then Bevan must be picked in the test squad to tour England before Hussey and Hodge, regardless of age. His form is too hard to ignore.

His test average to date is 29.07 from 18 matches (30 innings). Bowling average of 29 wickets @ 24.24, which is surprising (he has actually claimed 10 wickets in a match).
Link to Michael Bevan's Statistics (http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/PLAYERS/AUS/B/BEVAN_MG_02002167/)

But now it seems that he is in the best form of his life. At 34, I wonder how many more years he has left in him (currently has another year left on his contract with Tassie).

Jarro
11th March 2005, 10:20 AM
i'd say no.

If we take Bevan we might as well take Lehman as well :roll:

lets let the young fellas have a chance, i'm dying to see how Hussey,Clarke,Hodge, Hopes etc. perform on tour.

gotta look to the future now.... lots of players in the current squad are getting on a bit. Let the new blood in now.

AndyP
11th March 2005, 10:26 AM
lets let the young fellas have a chance, i'm dying to see how Hussey,Clarke,Hodge, Hopes etc. perform on tour.
Hussey and Hodge are younger, but not young.
Clarke is already locked in.
Hopes is no chance for the tests. And hopefully not for the one-dayers.

Bruce
11th March 2005, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't want to see a change to the squad that involved someone with less than 3 years of baggy green wearing in front of them.

For the same reason I think Boof shouldn't go either - and it hurts to say that.

Fishman Dan
11th March 2005, 01:10 PM
I'd given up on him, but you've got to say that after a year like this - he has to tour. 1400 runs @ 100+, with 8 tons. Simply awesome.

Onewood
11th March 2005, 02:53 PM
I'd given up on him, but you've got to say that after a year like this - he has to tour. 1400 runs @ 100+, with 8 tons. Simply awesome.

Did Tasmania play QLD every week :lol:

cazandpaul
11th March 2005, 02:58 PM
As much as I would love to see Bev back in the team it won't happen and probably rightly so (head over heart :( ). As much as his one day record was awesome he never really stood out as a test player :( .

It really is time for the younger players to stand up and make a name for themselves.

Jarro
11th March 2005, 03:05 PM
Did Tasmania play QLD every week :lol:

we'll see you in the final.

oh wait ... you guys probably won't be there :P

AndyP
11th March 2005, 03:21 PM
NSW have got 1st innings points against Vic, to temporarily go ahead of WA on the points table.
So at this stage, it will be Qld v NSW. But you'll have to wait until the matches are finished to know for sure.

AndyP
11th March 2005, 04:05 PM
I think his test averages prove that whilst not a failure, the average of 29 in 30 tests is not quite good enough.
Why is his previous test record being held against him? It must have been 10 years ago.
He's obviously a better player now.

Maybe Hayden's and Martyn's previous test records should have been scrutinized a bit more before letting them back in the team. :roll:

Onewood
11th March 2005, 09:26 PM
NSW have got 1st innings points against Vic, to temporarily go ahead of WA on the points table.
So at this stage, it will be Qld v NSW. But you'll have to wait until the matches are finished to know for sure.

I'D LIKE TO SEE THIS HAPPEN :D

Jarro
12th March 2005, 01:06 AM

SO WOULD I

3oneday
12th March 2005, 04:13 AM

SO WOULD I
ME THREE

AndyP
12th March 2005, 07:28 AM

SO WOULD I
ME THREE
Go the Warriors!

Jarro
12th March 2005, 09:19 AM
Go the Warriors!

so that's the team you barrack for when you know your's has no chance of getting into the final :P

Fishman Dan
12th March 2005, 09:23 AM
Go the Warriors!

so that's the team you barrack for when you know your's has no chance of getting into the final :P

Come on Jarro... it's Footy season now. Oh hang on, no difference :roll: :lol:

AndyP
12th March 2005, 09:35 AM
Go the Warriors!

I'd prefer a NSW v WA final. I'm very anti-Qld teams.

Jarro
12th March 2005, 09:47 AM
Go the Warriors!

I'd prefer a NSW v WA final. I'm very anti-Qld teams.

gee, i hadn't noticed :roll:

and your reason for this is :?: :?: :?: :?:

AndyP
12th March 2005, 10:02 AM
I'm very anti-Qld teams.

gee, i hadn't noticed :roll:

and your reason for this is :?: :?: :?: :?:
Because sh*t-stirring is so much fun.
Or maybe deep down inside it is some sort of subconscious rebellion against my parents for moving up here when I was younger...

Fishman Dan
12th March 2005, 10:29 AM
You shouldn't let these psychological nuggets slip AP - I can see the headlines now;

OzGolf Tour #1 Player motivated by Hate

AndyP
17th January 2007, 02:02 PM
It's a shame to see a great career end this way. He was the best ODI cricketer of his time.
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/276643.html

dc68
17th January 2007, 02:16 PM
It's a shame to see a great career end this way. He was the best ODI cricketer of his time.
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/276643.html

I thought this was about his test career? Which sucked btw.

AndyP
17th January 2007, 02:39 PM
What does it matter? It was a thread about him.

dc68
17th January 2007, 02:49 PM
Whatever it had the desired effect.

Jarro
17th January 2007, 02:52 PM
Big year for retirements :shock:

I must say i really was a Michael Bevan fan, in his day he was simply the best one-day batsman going around.

Still, you can't play forever .... time for the young-uns to step up and show us what they're made of.

Moe Norman
17th January 2007, 03:05 PM
he was dropped from the ODI side earlier than he should have been, but we were so dominant nobody noticed that he was gone, which was a real shame.

Statistically the best Australian Domestic batsman in the last 20 years that didn't convert his numbers to test level. I'll never understand why, because I reckon the short ball issues was a myth, he was just playing in that period where the selectors were impatient and blokes felt like they were batting for their career every time they walked out.

champion player, even if he was a cockroach.