PDA

View Full Version : Distance variations

kingslayer33
8th February 2010, 08:16 AM
I've just played a quick game at Federal, just passing through the ACT on my way to the south coast of NSW.

It's been a while since I played a round here in the Territory - I had forgotten how much distance variation I seem to get when playing in this area. I'm assuming it's mainly to do with the altitude difference as most of the golf I play is at sea level.

Do others experience variations of well over a club too? Particularly SMS I guess, having moved from here recently to the home of ozgolf. Makes for a difficult round as I was hitting the ball best I had in months but really struggled with getting the ball pin-high.

razaar
8th February 2010, 08:50 AM
Played Federal last June and didn't notice any difference in shot distance.

kingslayer33
8th February 2010, 11:51 AM
not wanting to get into the usual arguments about how far people claim to hit the ball I will not mention specific distances :wink: - but I was hitting the same club I would normally use and carrying the green when hitting to an uphill target into the breeze. May have been a combination of humidity, warmer weather and the altitude but the difference was marked.

As mentioned I usually play at sea level - Kingston Beach, Tasmania, Royal Hobart and Barny, and have played in the UK, a fair amount in Melbourne and about half a dozen games in Queensland too but always hitting roughly the same yardage.

sms316
8th February 2010, 11:57 AM
Do others experience variations of well over a club too? Particularly SMS I guess, having moved from here recently to the home of ozgolf. Makes for a difficult round as I was hitting the ball best I had in months but really struggled with getting the ball pin-high.
I would hit the ball about one club longer in Canberra during the warmer months. The air is thinner due to the elevation (about 600m). When visitors to the region play there for the first time they tend to air mail a lot of greens.

Played Federal last June and didn't notice any difference in shot distance.
You wouldn't in winter. The air is noticeably thicker in winter in Canberra. And not just because it is usually a fog. :wink:

kingslayer33
8th February 2010, 12:17 PM
I would hit the ball about one club longer in Canberra during the warmer months.

So you would have a normal distance range for each club that would be increased if you were playing Nov-Mar in the ACT compared to other times of the year here and in the other states?

I'm glad I wasn't imagining yesterday as it would have been a shame for my ego to think I was hitting it as I wanted to and all of a sudden I had got some muscles where previously there were none.

I think the only other course I have played at any sort of altitude is Cooma, and I think Bright in the Vic. Highlands somewhere or other, but since I was 12 then I cannot remember what distances I was hitting it anyway.

sms316
8th February 2010, 12:26 PM
So you would have a normal distance range for each club that would be increased if you were playing Nov-Mar in the ACT compared to other times of the year here and in the other states?

Compared to sea level. Definitely. Same would go for any other similar region (Orange, Bright and Blue Mountains too I guess).

I'm glad I wasn't imagining yesterday as it would have been a shame for my ego to think I was hitting it as I wanted to and all of a sudden I had got some muscles where previously there were none.
No such luck. :lol:

WBennett
8th February 2010, 01:05 PM
Kings - Playing almost all my golf in Canberra at 600m altitude, I find I come up a club short playing at coastal courses. I don't think its the altitude though but the dryness of the air.

The air in Canberra in summer is warm and dry and you can get some surprising carry. You play at the coast in warm but humid and heavy air and lose distance in comparison.

Raz - winter in Canberra you lose a club length compared to summer with a combination of the cold slowing the ball down, and the extra layers of clothing worn restricting your swing!

WBennett
8th February 2010, 01:17 PM
Oops - should have refreshed and read Shauns reply!

PeteyD
8th February 2010, 07:11 PM
You ball goes a bit shorter when it is pissing down rain too.

Daves
8th February 2010, 07:16 PM
You ball goes a bit shorter when it is pissing down rain too.

Yeah, stop real quick eh!