PDA

View Full Version : Help required - Mexican Restaurants

Jim
7th February 2010, 09:33 PM
Hello gourmands, a friend of mine with a fetish for Mexican food who lives on the Gold Coast reckons he has not been unable to find a single decent Mexican restaurant since moving up there probably eight years ago. He reckons there is nothing as good as Taco Bills in Melbourne - which I reckon is very ordinary, so I don't think he has set his sights too high.

Are there any Mexican restaurants worth going to on the Gold Coast or Brisbane? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

zacdullard
7th February 2010, 09:35 PM
My mum makes a rather mean Taco.

Dazza
7th February 2010, 09:41 PM
Unsure what they're like down that way, but up here it was a great meal/atmosphere and service. The wife and I managed 3 courses, two beers and a cocktail for $80.
Not much to compare it to, as I've only ever been to one mexican restaurant.
http://www.cactusjacks.com.au/homepage.html
They've got one at the Logan Hyperdome.

PeteyD
8th February 2010, 02:36 PM
Where has he tried? Yellow pages search has about 13 on the gold coast, but there are a few Montezuma's.

kpac
8th February 2010, 04:39 PM
Montezuma's at labrador is the best of a fairly sub-standard bunch unfortunately.

Sasquatch
8th February 2010, 04:44 PM
A new one has appeared at Metro Markets, Hollywell Rd, Biggera Waters but I can't remember the name of it. They might be worth trying as they'll have to rely on the local/repeat business unlike the bigger ones in the tourist areas.

Jim
8th February 2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks guys, come them coming.

Where has he tried? Yellow pages search has about 13 on the gold coast, but there are a few Montezuma's.
I'm betting he has tried them all. As a basis of comparison he would order the same dish at every Mexican place he went to - La Combinacion.

PeteyD
8th February 2010, 04:58 PM
That is somewhat short sighted. I wonder if the original one he thinks is great is actually crap and the rest are good?? :D

In Brisbane there used to be 2 at Taringa that were ok, Pepes and Dos Amigos I think they were called. There was also one at Milton but I think it is gone now. Same as the one at Alex Hills. Other than that Montezumas are generally ok.

gazgolf1
8th February 2010, 07:15 PM
In Brisbane there used to be 2 at Taringa that were ok, Pepes and Dos Amigos I think they were called. There was also one at Milton but I think it is gone now. Same as the one at Alex Hills. Other than that Montezumas are generally ok.

Pepe's is still there on Baroona rd at Milton, still the best we've tried in Brisbane.
Salsa's at the Robina shoppingtown is very good.

AndyP
8th February 2010, 07:56 PM
The meal I had at Pepe's Milton I remember as microwaved slop. Maybe it was a bad night.

LarryLong
8th February 2010, 08:32 PM
Having eaten at a lot of Melbourne's mexican restaurants in my Melbourne days, I'd have to say post #8 has a fair bit of merit.

Daves
8th February 2010, 08:44 PM
There is a Texan/Mexican restaurant in Cleveland called Taste of Texas that isn't bad;

http://www.tasteoftexas.com.au/

gazgolf1
8th February 2010, 08:46 PM
I like the kick ass combo at Pepe's.

Flowergirl
8th February 2010, 09:24 PM
Just went to a great one in Devonport ( tassie) last night. The Three Amigos and it is owned by a chap named Steve Martin. True story.:mrgreen:
Great food. Best nachos ever.

LarryLong
8th February 2010, 09:33 PM
That's awesome. I'm going there next time I go to Tassie. :)

Did he ask you to tell them they would die like dogs?

Dotty
8th February 2010, 09:46 PM
Would you say they have a plethora of dishes ?