PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new mower, and I need to ride in comfort!

goughy
7th February 2010, 08:09 AM
So, I need to pull my finger out and get a new mower. Tired of paying someone to do it (granted only has happened 3 times since we moved), and with an acre I need to ride baby ride! Rob's winnings in the dell comp will fund this. So I'm after a 2nd hand ride on with at least a 38" cut. I know less than nothing about ride on's, so does anyone have any experience with them and can point out what to and not to look for, in brand and features.

Budget will probably top out at $1500 for it; looking on ebay that should be enough to get one. Though I wonder if I should look at getting a 2nd hand one from a mower shop in the assumption they make sure it's all working.

What things do I need to know about them - fuel, maintenance etc.

Also gonna get a whipper snipper, my BIL said the ones that have a straight shaft (not bent at the end like Clintons lil'Elvis) and has the big hand grips. Some of the yard will have to be mown by it. Maybe something that can handle different attachments - slasher blades or something!

Courty
7th February 2010, 09:22 AM
Try the government auctions. Councils turn their mowers over every 2 years or so. They'll have some hours up, but will have been kept in good running order.

Tha majority would probably be big front-deck mowers which would be overkill for a domestic yard, but there should be teh odd mid-mount or Z-steer around.

Golfnut
7th February 2010, 02:16 PM
Any mower with an "out-front" deck will be big $$$'s as they're just plain pricey to start with.......for the money you've got to spend it will be a mid mount, I'd be looking at either a 2nd hand Toro or John Deere probably lower models that are a few years old if you want it to last for donkey's years.

Other brands like Yardman, Viking etc. are cheapies and are just toys IMO but then a again I use John Deere & Stihl and Honda Powered Dwyer & Feltons for a living so it's hard for me to take those cheaper brands seriously.

Another brand to consider would be Hasqvarna or Cox...should be cheaper than the Toro/John Deere machines but will still be a good build.

goughy
7th February 2010, 02:33 PM
Pretty much the 4 I was considering, and a stihl for the whipper snipper. I just know nothing about them. Is there something worth looking for feature wise?

Hooker
7th February 2010, 03:00 PM
Have owned a Honda straight shaft whipper snipper for 9 years , bought it when they first come out. No mixing petrol and oil as it is a 4 stroke.
First 6 years on acreage so it had a good amount of use, last 3 years on a normal block. Just changed the oil [it has a small sump]every couple of years and hasn't misses a beat. Has never been to a repair shop and starts every time after a few pulls of the cord.

PeteyD
7th February 2010, 04:30 PM
There are a couple of good mower shops in Toowomba (or were - one near the myer shopping center was a goodun) that are old style. It'd be worth seeing if they have any second handies, if the shops are still there.

goughy
7th February 2010, 06:43 PM
Yeah, that was the plan. But I hate shopping when I appear like complete gumbi. harder to bargain when you don't know what you're talking 'bout!

goughy
8th February 2010, 03:33 PM
Anyone know anything about the brand Murray??

AndyP
8th February 2010, 03:52 PM
My parents have a ride-on mower, which they don't need for their tiny yard. Would you like me to ask them if they are willing to sell it (even thought they just bought it)?

goughy
8th February 2010, 04:17 PM
May as well! Why did they buy it?

AndyP
8th February 2010, 04:48 PM
The last owner of the house was getting rid of his stuff cheap.

markTHEblake
8th February 2010, 07:49 PM
goughy, off topic i know, but my brother in law is selling his self propelled push mower (whatever is the right term for that kind of mower).

all i know is that it is a Rover and it isnt used much cos everytime he buys a new house he lanscapes and concretes the lawns cos he hates mowing.

i am thinking that he was letting it go for a $300 or maybe less, if thats interesting, let me know and i will get the model number and price.

terrys
8th February 2010, 08:39 PM
I've got one of these John Deere LX176 on the farm. It's great. Quite strong and functional and if anything ever goes wrong, quite easy to fix and all the parts are available from the local Deere dealer.

there is a used one available on farmhub.com.au in Caboolture for $1500. Details below.
I can't speak for this particular unit, but might be worth checking out.

Description
John Deere LX176 Lawn Tractor with 38" mower deck.
Features
List Price*: $1,500*
Currency AUD
Type Lawn/Turf Equipment
Sub-type Ride On Mower
Make: John Deere
Model: LX176
FuelType Unleaded
Reference Code DPLIn115029
Stock Ref: x163085
Attachments
Attachments1 38" mower deck
Specifications
Condition Good
EngineHP 14
Transmission Hydrostatic
Dealer Details
Name JPM MACHINERY
Home Page Click here
Address 147 KING STREET
Suburb CABOOLTURE
State Queensland
Post Code 4510
Phone (Bus.) 0754951533
Fax 0754957485

goughy
8th February 2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys! Sorry, MTB but even self propelled won't cut it at my place! The yard's a jungle now since all that rain. Will check out some local shops in the next few days.

AndyP
12th February 2010, 10:18 AM
My parents have a ride-on mower, which they don't need for their tiny yard. Would you like me to ask them if they are willing to sell it (even thought they just bought it)?They are looking to sell it, but they're not sure of the value yet. I don't have all the details at the moment, but I was told the following:

MTD Yard-man
11.5 HP Briggs & Stratton
Very good condition.
Blades don't appear to be marked.
Painful if you have to reverse often, as you have to lift the blades, but it sounds like you won't need to.

Cams
12th February 2010, 12:19 PM
They are looking to sell it, but they're not sure of the value yet. I don't have all the details at the moment, but I was told the following:

MTD Yard-man
11.5 HP Briggs & Stratton
Very good condition.
Blades don't appear to be marked.
Painful if you have to reverse often, as you have to lift the blades, but it sounds like you won't need to.

There is a switch underneath that can be disconnected to enable blades running in reverse.

AndyP
12th February 2010, 12:35 PM
Here's a pic of the mower, goughy.

just
12th February 2010, 12:54 PM
He's a chip off the old block!

AndyP
12th February 2010, 03:00 PM
The ladies will be all over him when he gets older.

-------------------

The cut size is 32", it's 5 speed and the asking price is $1000. I've just downloaded the owner manuals too.

It sounds like this won't be what you are after, but if it is, I can provide the old man's mobile number.

solarman
12th February 2010, 03:14 PM

This would be cool !!!!

goughy
12th February 2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks Andy, but looking more to 38 to 42" cut. Will check some shops out over the next few days, but I won't put it out of my mind yet!

goughy
15th February 2010, 03:34 PM
Mower solved. Went to umpteen shops today and found one with a john deere that had didn't have an engine cover. After more looking round went back and spoke to them again, and turns out the cover was there and was just broken. Then I ask the pissed off boss if the owner told him how it was broken, and he tells me one of his staff busted it! So I've got a john deere 14hp 38" cut mower (LX176) with hydrostatic motor (meaning no 5/6 speed gears, but a variable accelerator) and he's throwing in an occy strap to hold the engine cover on for $1200 and including a service and delivery. Fairly happy with that.

Golfnut
15th February 2010, 03:51 PM
Perfect!!!! Well done!

Can the engine cover be plastic welded? Then a bit of touch up paint?

henno
15th February 2010, 03:54 PM
Can the engine cover be plastic welded?

I was thinking the same thing. If it's a crack, just get it welded up.

PeteyD
15th February 2010, 04:29 PM
Excellent! Can I borrow it?

goughy
15th February 2010, 04:36 PM
Perfect!!!! Well done!

Can the engine cover be plastic welded? Then a bit of touch up paint?

No, it's like one of the hinge bits broken off and missing, and a little bit near the steering wheel broken. It actually doesn't even look like it would come off if you just left it alone, but one occy strap will do the job. Now for it to just arrive - the lawn is a bit of a jungle atm.

And I'll think about it peteyd, but you'd have to come up to collect it and bring it back ;)

PeteyD
15th February 2010, 04:48 PM
I thought you could ride it here :D

Tomo
15th February 2010, 06:57 PM
Does it have a stubby holder?

goughy
15th February 2010, 07:41 PM
No it doesn't! But I can get a fold up one from the boating shops and rivet it onto the side!

Maybe if I was Tim Taylor and could make a jet engined version one Petey...

Tomo
15th February 2010, 08:01 PM
Good buy mate.

Great bit of gear.

goughy
23rd February 2010, 11:47 PM
I need that stubbie holder! Mower turned up this arvo and I just had to mow some lawn (some of it was head height after all.....). This is the only way to mow a lawn. None of that pushing shit. I'm in heaven. Even easier with the infinite variable speed forward and reverse pedals. My 4 year old could drive the thing.

Courty
24th February 2010, 06:59 AM
I need that stubbie holder!

http://www.thesharkguys.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/beerhat-772303.jpg

goughy
24th February 2010, 07:05 AM
They sell those at your course???