PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable Golf Shoe Lifespan ?

damoocow
6th February 2010, 10:00 PM
Noticed this arvo that my addidas shoes purchased 11 months ago are showing signs of cracking/splitting on the sides and top [not soles] - Am I unreasonable to assume that this shouldn't happen in this time span ?
Rang the seller who advised me to bring the shoes in so he could send them off to get advice from addidas as to whether the replace or repair the shoes [they have a 12 month waterproof guarantee, so any cracking will result in water getting in anyway]
Getting tired of not getting value for money - have lost count of the times I have had to take stuff back to shops for refunds and replacements.

henno
6th February 2010, 10:01 PM
It depends on how much golf you play. 50 rounds per year, I would consider 12 months "par" for a pair of shoes.

BrisVegas
6th February 2010, 10:11 PM
just my experience damo, but i reckon the Adidas and Nike shoes I've owned haven't worn that well. They've been comfy right off the bat, but got tatty pretty quickly. I'll be wearing my 5+ year old Footjoys tomorrow and they're still comfy and waterproof. I've head good thinks about Ecco golf shoes too, but the best shoes I've owned are my Footjoys.

Greeny
6th February 2010, 11:08 PM
I've often wondered the same thing and asked Ecco recently if they had an answer on this. It was a vague answer in return.

I suppose it depends on how much golf you play but I think two years is probably reasonable.

I've just purchased some Footjoys for the first time and hoping they'll last 5+ years!

ParMaster
6th February 2010, 11:30 PM
Footjoys are the best shoes. As long as the size of your foot doesn't change you should be getting 2+ years out of them.

I only get 6-12 months with mine because I'm still growing however.

sms316
7th February 2010, 05:23 AM
First impressions are that they will replace them. Don'y underestimate your chances of replacement when the sales rep is a member of your club.

3oneday
7th February 2010, 06:18 AM
I bought a pair of footjoys yesty, they have a 2 year warranty for leaks and a 1 year warranty for whatever else goes wrong.

Sounds to me like they'll replace them no worries for you. I leave my shoes in the boot of the car all year and don't really look at them from one week to the next.

If you wear a shoe only 50 times in a year, that's probably not really that much Henno in terms of a normal shoe ? Unless you practice and all that other stuff in them ?

moree golfer
7th February 2010, 09:30 AM
My FJs don't even look like leaking and I got them as a leaving present from my old job, over 4 years ago. I play and practice a lot in them. They are the model that look a little like the new FJ Sport (can't remember the name). When I look at replacing these I'll definitely be looking at organising a group buy of FJ Sport from the US.

goughy
7th February 2010, 09:57 AM
I would be disappointed in anything less than 8 years from a golf shoe!!

Minor_Threat
7th February 2010, 10:02 AM
My FJs are getting up to about 5 years of service.

rodders
7th February 2010, 10:37 AM
Have 4 pairs of FJ's. Some cheapy for practice, 2 for rounds an 1 a spare set of classics.

Got them all from the states real cheap. All perform very well.

I got some Nikes when I got back into golf 12 months ago and I kid you not, they lasted about 2.5 months. - complete rubbish for a $150 shoe. Didnt take back as could not be bothered but put down to lesson learned.

Grunt
7th February 2010, 10:39 AM
When playing a lot (100+ Round a year) I was getting about 18 months out of a pair of shoes before things started to break down. Have never had Footjoys but have tried most of the other Brands. If I could still get Bite Shoes I would still have them.

Golfnut
7th February 2010, 02:02 PM
I'm on my 3rd pair of Adidas shoes since purchasing the 1st pair around Aug 2008......I don't mind getting a new pair of golf shoes every 9 months under warranty :)....currently on a pair of FitRX's which seem ok and have been in service for 2.5 months so far.

Russ
9th February 2010, 06:33 PM
I'd say 12 months would be the standard for me. Though I only ever buy the shoe that's on sale/discontinued. $100 max :) and usually Adidas.

They do the trick, plus you don't care when they need replacing.

As a sidebar/thread-jack: anybody use custom/aftermarket insoles?

Started using Superfeet a year ago, and now have them in every single pair of shoes I own. Awesome decision.

just
9th February 2010, 06:55 PM
I never pay more than $50 for a golf shoe anymore now that the DFO is just down the road. My last pair of footjoys only lasted a couple of years.

BrisWesty
12th February 2010, 07:56 PM
just, where do they keep the golf shoes at DFO?

just
12th February 2010, 08:01 PM
At the airport DFO Oakley and Puma. They don't always have them, but every once in a while they will get a whole heap and sell at crazy prices. At the moment I have two pairs of Oakleys and a pair of Pumas, none were over $50.

AndyP
12th February 2010, 09:21 PM
Nowhere at Jindalee DFO because it's shit.

Daves
12th February 2010, 10:45 PM
A tip is to have 2 pairs of shoes to rotate. Only matters if you are playing a few times a week like I do (OK 3 to 4 times or more:D). But letting shoes dry out between wears makes a lot of difference to their ultimate life if they are being worn regularly. I got 10 years out of a pair of hand made Karandonis soft leather Moccasins by rotating them with other shoes every second day.

Scottt
13th February 2010, 05:48 AM
I would be disappointed in anything less than 8 years from a golf shoe!!

10 rounds?

razaar
13th February 2010, 07:28 AM
A tip is to have 2 pairs of shoes to rotate. Only matters if you are playing a few times a week like I do (OK 3 to 4 times or more:D). But letting shoes dry out between wears makes a lot of difference to their ultimate life if they are being worn regularly. I got 10 years out of a pair of hand made Karandonis soft leather Moccasins by rotating them with other shoes every second day.
What Dave says, three is even better. Of couse this only applies to quality shoes; with the others you get what you pay for.

oncewasagolfer
13th February 2010, 09:03 AM
Best pair of golf shoes I have owned were footjoy dryjoys years back they got nicked tho and then I had a pair of greg norman niblicks which were good. The last few years I have had a pair of nike which were very uncomfortable think I bought the wrong size cos they were cheap and on sale with not much to chose from. Current pair are callaways which I also got on sale for $100 but they are getting to the end of their life and kill the ball of my right foot after 15 holes or so.