PDA

View Full Version : Advice on digital cameras

razaar
4th February 2010, 10:12 AM
The digital camera died last week. Would appreciate any advice and recommendations on a replacement and accessories.:)

kpac
4th February 2010, 10:13 AM
great prices on SLRs these days!!!

henno
4th February 2010, 10:14 AM
Budget? Point-and-shoot? Compact? SLR? "Prosumer"?

So many choices and prices between 50 bucks and $20,000.

Fishman Dan
4th February 2010, 10:58 AM
Canon Ixus series.. if you're a bit more series about your photo's then Canon G11 (about $650). Semi-professional camera.. they are fantastic.

razaar
4th February 2010, 10:59 AM

Exactly.
SLR with two ? lenses, something the wife can use without bothering me.;)

just
4th February 2010, 12:02 PM

But I just want a camera that works like a real camera.

poidda
4th February 2010, 12:21 PM
Exactly.
SLR with two ? lenses, something the wife can use without bothering me.;)

Entry level Canon sounds is the way to go. I've got the original digital SLR and it's still going strong 7 years later. They take great pics and well worth the coin.

rhino62
4th February 2010, 02:15 PM
Nikon D3000 with twin lense kit $1000.

Bought a D60 18 mths ago for $1200 so looks a good price.

chappy1970
4th February 2010, 02:56 PM
I got myself a Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (AKA DMC-ZS3A) at Christmas, it is a fantastic compact at around the $600 AUD mark.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Cameras/Lumix-Digital-Cameras/model.DMC-ZS3A_11002_7000000000000005702

It has heaps of functionality for those that like to tinker and is also ideal for the camera nufties.

It can also take HD video.

Chappy

pom
4th February 2010, 07:02 PM
Just before Xmas picked up a Fuji Film Digital for $370 on special. Took a few golf photos whilst on Holidays. Very pleased with the result. Is just point & shoot too.

jaybam
4th February 2010, 07:35 PM
Got the wife one of the new Sony dslr cameras just before xmas. Great camera that does everything i could possibly think of.

rodders
4th February 2010, 08:30 PM
Canon recognized as class leader in digital slr - just look at what all the pro's use at sporting events.

Get the body here and get all accessories from b&h photo's website from states.

I got a 5D body in Aust because I have a friend who works for Canon Aust. They will NOT warrant any OS bodies despite crap you told at airports etc..

However they are obligated to honour any lens warranty, even OS purchases.

A few years ago I spent thousands on gear and never been let down. Options are limitless. Oh and when talking coin, I got a 85m prime lens from b&h for $1700 that was sold here for nearly $4500!!! Canon Aust put a 30% mark up on all lens before they get to retail.

Hux
5th February 2010, 05:17 PM
Canon wankers :-)

Why start on brands...its like Titleist vs Taylormade.
FWIW the real issue for basic amateurs is not to get caught up in what brand you see on a 20k lens at the cricket but what works well within your budget for your intended level.
If the intention is to head into serious amateur status you need to consider brands as the "system" is what you are buying not the body. High end lenses are a life time purchase - bodies are constantly being outdated by new sensor levels.

If its just for having a camera think of 2 things...usability and transportability. No point having all the bells and whistles if it sits on P mode its whole life and no point having a 1kg camera body with 6 lenses when it doesn't leave the house cause its too cumbersome and heavy ...and expensive to risk sitting unattended.

If you want to have a bit of both world think of the best compact camera system - Leica M series
http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=5412

I haven't seriously looked at the actual performance of the sensor but Panasonic and Leica have a technology sharing arrangement and I reckon this is the direction I will eventually move. Lugging a backpack of lenses is a thing of the past for me.....I want to have something to take pics without looking like a japanese tourist.

AndyP
17th February 2010, 09:11 PM
The viewscreen of my camera broke at the Wynnum Cup. I'm not sure how, but it may have been the extra moisture.

I saw a Canon Powershot A480 for $99 in JB Hifi. Can you I wrong with this deal, when it's a Powershot A410 that's broken and I seem to recall paying $180 for it.

AndyP
26th February 2010, 10:21 PM
Just in case you were wondering, I went with the Canon Ixus 80 IS. According to the Whirlpool forums it is the best camera available under $200.

I got a display model for $169 from DSE.

Dennis
26th February 2010, 10:34 PM
Canon wankers :-)

Lugging a backpack of lenses is a thing of the past for me.....I want to have something to take pics without looking like a japanese tourist.

That's why you go Nikon (choice of the pro's) and get a 50mm f/1.4 Prime lense

For a beginner, get a second hand D40, D40x...or a new D90 or D3000

Unless you shoot in M,A or S mode, then no need to spend silly dollars on an SLR

Shoot away my friend :smt038

goughy
26th February 2010, 10:38 PM
That's why you go Nikon (choice of the pro's)

Cikchic will wash your mouth out with soap!

markTHEblake
26th February 2010, 11:27 PM
i paid $1000 for a Canon EOS in 1988, got it cheap in singapore. Its been sitting in a cupboard for at least 10 years maybe more now, before that I paid around $600 for another 35mm a few years before - at the time about a months wages.

Makes me cry when i think about how much that would be in todays money. Last camera I bought cost me about $200.

Hux
26th February 2010, 11:59 PM
That's why you go Nikon (choice of the pro's) and get a 50mm f/1.4 Prime lense

For a beginner, get a second hand D40, D40x...or a new D90 or D3000

Unless you shoot in M,A or S mode, then no need to spend silly dollars on an SLR

Shoot away my friend :smt038

Which pro's? sports seems to have been taken over by Canon, our scenes of crimes folks have gone from a significant investment in Nikon to Canon not sure about the other states though. Wildlife probably still has a fair representation of Nikon but no where near as much as 10 years ago. Fashion is strangely a Sony/Minolta place.

How many DSLR owners are finally working out that they are a PITA to cart around when you can get a compact with M/A/S ability and a decent fast lens that will fit in your pocket?

So devil's advocate says thing long and hard before you buy entry level DSLR when there are alternatives that probably better suit the average consumer who wants to take nice pics.

goughy
27th February 2010, 12:03 AM
Optometrists I know have canon's in their practices. If it doesn't say canon my wife won't hold it!

MegaWatty
27th February 2010, 12:34 AM
Optometrists I know have canon's in their practices. If it doesn't say canon my wife won't hold it!

There's a line here, but I'm staying away from it!

goughy
27th February 2010, 08:23 AM
I was waiting for someone to! I considering a tatoo....

Dennis
27th February 2010, 06:23 PM
So devil's advocate says thing long and hard before you buy entry level DSLR when there are alternatives that probably better suit the average consumer who wants to take nice pics.

Is that like buying Pro V's and Mizuno's when you have been playing the game for 2 months and have a handicap of 26?

goughy
27th February 2010, 07:15 PM
Yo are right. You just need to work out what you want to do with the camera and then look at what suits those needs. But the only way you'll get a dslr out of clikchics hands will be prying it out when she's cold and dead!