PDA

View Full Version : Max versus Falcon

BrisVegas
10th March 2005, 09:40 AM
For those that know our little dog Max, he was run over by a car last night. :cry: He's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (7kg). The car was an EA Falcon (1500kg).

Max survived the initial impact. :shock: He's at the vet right now where they are assessing the damage done to him. It looks as though his back legs and hips took the impact. At a minimum, he's got ligament and muscle damage and dislocated hips. At worst, his hip is fractured and there are other more serious internal injuries.

Please keep Max in your thoughts today and spare a thought for my 32-week pregnant wife who is quite traumatised about it all.

AndyP
10th March 2005, 09:51 AM
Hope he comes out of it alright, Dion. Those little furry things are like our children.

Fishman Dan
10th March 2005, 09:53 AM
Vegas, if it's any consolation i had a poodle when we were young who was deliberately (we all witnessed the swerve - the rider was charged accordingly) hit by a trail bike which smashed her hips. She went on to make a full recovery - although later in left arthritis took hold.

In other animal news, my Dad's dog (a.k.a. 3rd and most favoured Son) has made a full recovery from a bout of Pancreatitis - at the leisurely cost of at least a couple of grand!! :shock:

BrisVegas
10th March 2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks Fishy & Andy. Hopefully the vet can put him back together. At what cost?? We'd borrowed some money for turf and concrete etc at the new house. I guess we can use it for Max.

The other dog we've got has brain damage (hydro-cephalus) which is degenerating. He's booked in to be put to sleep next week. Dealing with that for the past couple of months has been stressful enough. The car couldn't have hit him, could it... :roll:

AndyP
10th March 2005, 10:17 AM
That just plain sucks. :(

Fishman Dan
10th March 2005, 10:25 AM
****ing Ford drivers.... :evil:

Jarro
10th March 2005, 11:07 AM
sorry to hear that Dion :(

hope the vet can work miracles... i hear they can, but it costs ya :x

My 2 little girls would be horrified to hear of this, as we have our own little King Charles Cavalier, "Gracie", who they love like a little sister :roll:

hope it all works out mate.

andylo
10th March 2005, 03:18 PM
Don't worry too much Dion. According to my experience dogs and cats can recover very quickly as long as its not run over to become pizza size or internal virus.

That's plain sux thu, honestly I am not a animal lover (but I don't hate them ok, got a cat at home ;)) but ppl who are driving in urban area should be more aware :evil:

Eag's
10th March 2005, 03:23 PM
Bugger Dion, I feel for you mate :(
Let us know how things go with him :?: I know my wife would be a mess if it was our dog, they become part of the family.

Our thoughts are with you mate.

macleod
10th March 2005, 03:30 PM
hi dion, lyndal and my thoughts are with you both for Max.

when Calvin was killed last October, killed by one neighbour...and then thrown in the bin by another, we were gutted and still havent' fully recovered.

He's going to be just fine, i am uber-optimistic for the little guy.

if he needs 2 kittens to babysit him whilst he is recovering, Bucky and Paris are available for dog-sitting.

ps. bucky now weighs over 5 kilos at 5 months of age so i promise he will be delicate.

BrisVegas
10th March 2005, 04:29 PM
Latest news is that he will live. It's 50-50 whether his hip will stay in place after they relocate it. Might need surgery to insert a pin to hold things together. The next 48 hours are the key... Talk about bad timing... I'm off to Tassie tomorrow for 4 days... I'll be thinking of the little fella the whole time... :(

Thanks to everyone's kind words. I'll show this thread to Mrs Vegas and it will cheer her up. :)

cazandpaul
10th March 2005, 04:32 PM
Hope all is well Dion - I know what we would be like if anything were to happen to our little shihtsu Riley.

Caz and Paul

BrisVegas
10th March 2005, 04:34 PM
I think we need a new thread for everyone to post pics of their pets! :idea:

Moments like last night make you realise how much they mean to you.. :shock:

senecio
10th March 2005, 04:46 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next 48 hours Dion.

Its amazing how these little critters can become part of your life. I'd hate for anything to happen to our little fella ("Dougie" the Jack Russell).

Keep smiling Mrs Vegas. We'll get him through this.

Ryan

macleod
10th March 2005, 05:12 PM
remember if max needs some more chicken wings i am only a few suburbs away over the next 4 days.

seriously, if she needs a hand give me a shout.

Trung
10th March 2005, 05:55 PM
Some of you may have read, we almost lost our budgie to a cat 2 weeks ago. My heart is with your family Vegas.

terryand
10th March 2005, 06:08 PM
Thats rotten luck Dion.

Hope the little bloke makes a full recovery.

Did this happen in the new street?

Just keep giving Sandra lots of hugs too, she will be emotional enough ATM, without any more on her plate....Trust me on this one.

Terry.

Flowergirl
10th March 2005, 07:13 PM
Poor little Max. I so so hope that he is on the mend soon. I love my dog to bits. He's a brown and white border collie named Romeo and I'd be lost without him.
Hang in there Mrs Vegas..........we are all thinking positive thoughts about him and hope that everything goes well. Kiss his wet little nose for me - and Max's. :wink:

Keza_G
11th March 2005, 11:42 AM
This Ford Driver wishes to apologise. :cry: .... we are not all like that..... there are some maniacs out there...

Mr & Mrs Vegas.... please feel all our positive and hopeful thoughts, I have a cat named Pinnacle (Pinny) and I love all animals (except the creapy crawly ones) and believe in the power of Positive thinking... :) They are tough little critters and they know we love them...

Delicate Hugs and kisses to Max.... get better soon buddy....

Cheers

Keza

BrisVegas
15th March 2005, 09:39 AM
Max is on the mend. :)

The relocation of his hip didn't work, too much damage done to the cartilage etc. So, on Saturday he had an operation to remove the busted hip-joint completely. Apparently it's the simplest and cheapest way to repair the problem. (remember - cheap is a relative term at a Vet :roll: ) Over time, the scar tissue forms a new joint which provides a fairly positive joint and he is expected to walk fairly well eventually.

At the moment, he is walking about, albeit gingerly and seems happy enough. :shock: He looks a sight with his back-end shaved and a massive scar with stitches.

Thank-you to everyone for you kind words of encouragement. Max appreciated it all. :wink:

Dion

Jarro
15th March 2005, 10:25 AM
good to hear Dion :D

sing out when he's a little more energetic and i'll bring "Gracie" over and they can muck around together 8)

.. but no funny stuff OK [-X , i'll be watching :smt002

BrisVegas
15th March 2005, 01:13 PM

sing out when he's a little more energetic and i'll bring "Gracie" over and they can muck around together 8)

It'd only be recreational at best.... Max had his nads removed only 2-3 weeks ago. :wink:

Jarro
15th March 2005, 01:29 PM

It'd only be recreational at best.... Max had his nads removed only 2-3 weeks ago. :wink:

yeah, we had to get Gracie fixed last year .... the dirty little tramp :x