PDA

View Full Version : Aust Vs N.Z 1st Test

Jarro
10th March 2005, 06:30 AM
looks like Kaspa has won the battle with Brett Lee for the last fast-bowling spot

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12495140-39115,00.html

personally i would have liked to see BOTH of them in the side, and leave 1 batsman out 8)

Fishman Dan
10th March 2005, 07:55 AM
It's a bit of a shame, the game as a spectacle is waiting for his return. I don't see why they can't drop Gillespie?

Jarro
10th March 2005, 07:59 AM
I agree Dan. Although i think we could play 4 quicks and Warney and still have enough batting to get the job done.

Imagine the headaches all 4 quicks would give the Kiwis 8)

Australia have won the toss and are fielding first too. Looks like the pitch is pretty green, and early on, the ball is zipping around :shock:

AndyP
10th March 2005, 08:53 AM
Hasn't taken long for Warney to come into the attack. What's going on Jarro?
Is there a bit of turn there?

Jarro
10th March 2005, 09:36 AM
1/64 at lunch. Not a bad effort from the Black Caps, although the Aussies dropped a chance early (Langer off McGrath)

I think Warney was brought in early to give McGrath a break AndyP. He bowled a 12 over first spell.

AndyP
10th March 2005, 09:38 AM
1/64 in a session. How pathetic are those Kiwis? Do they not understand that the general idea of batting is to score runs?

jarro, are you at home all day today watching it?

Fishman Dan
10th March 2005, 09:41 AM
1/64 in a session. How pathetic are those Kiwis? Do they not understand that the general idea of batting is to score runs?

Where's jarro with his report?
Are you at home all day today watching it?

Geez you're harsh. It's a fair effort on a green deck after being sent in, especially after a 5-0 drubbing in the ODI's. They bat boringly like this for a couple of sessions we could get frustrated and lose the plot..... or so they hope. Put it this way - they need 400+ regardless of how long it takes, and to roll us.

AndyP
10th March 2005, 09:44 AM
Geez you're harsh.
Easy to be harsh when all you see is a scoreboard.
But I still think less than 2 an over is too slow. I guess we can't expect other cricket sides to be as aggressive with the bat as Australia.

Onewood
10th March 2005, 09:49 AM

Exactly that AP, nothing to report, although the grass out the back did grow .02” and the paint looks to be drying OK :D

They did say that of the batsman playing in this test Australia has 89/100's to the K1W1's 27/100 big diff.

Jarro
10th March 2005, 09:52 AM

yeah, i'll be doing work around the house but the Foztel will be on all day 8)

so far, the Kiwis are in survival mode. Looks like their main goal is to not get beaten .... with a draw as good as a win for them at the moment :roll:

Fleming looked very shaky..and finally went LBW to Warne ... but the new boy Cummings looks the goods. Hamish Marshall is playing some shots as well.

Fishman Dan
10th March 2005, 11:21 AM
Boring, 1-dimensional cricket.

That's why you need a Brett Lee in your squad. Add some zest to an otherwise lack-luster attack.

1/100+....

AndyP
10th March 2005, 11:29 AM
Boring, 1-dimensional cricket.

That's why you need a Brett Lee in your squad. Add some zest ....
.....and some runs to the NZ total.

Jarro
10th March 2005, 11:56 AM
The Aussies are really letting the Kiwis off the hook here ..... 2 dropped catches this morning (sitters) and the scorecard could read very differently.

The Kiwis are playing very boring cricket :x

AndyP
10th March 2005, 12:15 PM
Hoozah! 2/156.
Cummings out to a pull shot.

So did Cummings just get impatient with the slow scoring?

Onewood
10th March 2005, 12:19 PM
Hoozah! 2/156.
Cummings out to a pull shot.

So did Cummings just get impatient with the slow scoring?

Hes been pulling the ball with success all day, so they set 3 fielders up (25mts from the bat) for him and the next ball he hit it straight down his throat 8)

Boring :roll: yeh, but they did lift the run rate to 2.9 or so

Jarro
10th March 2005, 12:21 PM
Kaspa to the rescue :wink:

Onewood
10th March 2005, 12:26 PM

Ponting to the rescue more like it :roll:

Fishman Dan
10th March 2005, 12:54 PM
Is this on ABC radio? I didn't bring the radio into work today to find out :x

Has there been another wicket? CricInfo takes ages to update the most recent over(s).

Jarro
10th March 2005, 01:01 PM
2/195 at the moment

Onewood
10th March 2005, 01:01 PM

22 off 2 overs, this guy is really rescuing the KIWI's :D

Jarro
10th March 2005, 01:05 PM

2 dropped catches didn't help either :roll:

Fishman Dan
10th March 2005, 01:16 PM

2 dropped catches didn't help either :roll:

Were they dropped by members of the crowd, 6 rows back??

Here we go again, Melbourne revisited.. :roll:

Onewood
10th March 2005, 01:22 PM
Clarke to the rescue :D again :wink:

Onewood
10th March 2005, 01:23 PM
3 for 199 with the new ball due in 6 overs....... will Ponting take the new ball or leave Clarke on for the rest of the day and get them all out :D

Fishman Dan
10th March 2005, 01:32 PM
For live coverage on the net, go to Radio SEN (Melbourne / Adelaide sports radio) - www.sen.com.au

You can get all day coverage over the net.

You'll also find out in moments who Carlton's new 6-figure sponsor is! Woohoo!!!

McMw
10th March 2005, 01:34 PM
wow...some resilience by the Kiwis...who would have thought?!?!?

AndyP
10th March 2005, 01:39 PM
For live coverage on the net, go to Radio SEN (Melbourne / Adelaide sports radio) - www.sen.com.au

You can get all day coverage over the net.

You'll also find out in moments who Carlton's new 6-figure sponsor is! Woohoo!!!
Well, it's not on freakin' ABC radio!!

SEN is great for footy news. I was constantly listening to it during trade week last year.
I believe they are starting one up in Sydney too.

Onewood
10th March 2005, 02:47 PM

The question is still hanging around though.......can it last :roll:

Not a bad day from a couple of the new guys :P

Jarro
10th March 2005, 02:50 PM
pretty ordinary effort from the Aussie bowlers today i thought.

Gillespie was all over the place.

AndyP
10th March 2005, 02:50 PM

The question is still hanging around though.......can it last :roll:

Not a bad day from a couple of the new guys :P
I'm just waiting for someone to predict a draw early.

terryand
10th March 2005, 04:30 PM
We saw this all summer here.

Get off to a good start like this then all out for less than 350.

Lets see if it happens again,happy with the first day's work then fall in a heap the next.

Terry.

Fishman Dan
10th March 2005, 05:08 PM
We saw this all summer here.

Get off to a good start like this then all out for less than 350.

Lets see if it happens again,happy with the first day's work then fall in a heap the next.

Terry.

With Astle in and McMillan to come, they could make the next 100-150 very quickly. Marshall isn't a slouch either, he showed that in the ODI series both here and in NZ.

Warne vs McMillan could be great viewing.... if only :roll:

Jarro
10th March 2005, 05:14 PM
With Astle in and McMillan to come, they could make the next 100-150 very quickly.

....or they could fold like a house of cards. You just never know what you're going to get with the Kiwis :smt017

I think it all depends on how the Aussie bowlers bounce back tomorrow. They were pretty ordinary today. Even the ever reliable MacGrath looked pretty wayward .... with no-one really threatening to make the crucial breakthrough when we needed one.

I agree with Terry, the Kiwis could still be all out for 350 odd ... which wouldn't be enough on this wicket.

Fishman Dan
11th March 2005, 08:17 AM
For all you nay-sayers, they are now motoring. The RR is nearly up to 3, but this partnership is about 4 per over and gaining momentum. We've had nothing in the first hour.

350? Pffffffffffffffft. We'll be lucky to have them at 5 for 450+. They are building a great platform. All we need now is one of these somewhat traditional middle-order collapses and we're in a world of hurt.

Jarro
11th March 2005, 08:24 AM
yet again the Aussie bowlers aren't really testing the Kiwii batsman :evil:

rank half-volleys and wide outside off-stump deliveries are easy pickings for any batsman :roll:

interesting to note .... pre-game banter today was about a stomach-strain to Glenn MacGrath :roll: hope it's not an excuse for the poor performance yesterday.

Fishman Dan
11th March 2005, 08:38 AM
Might not be for yesterday, but he could struggle to make the rest of the tour. That would suck, but it would open the door for Lee. It's a shame, because on this performance either Gillespie or Kaspa need to miss out.

60 runs in the first hour.

I take it AndyP can't come to the computer at the moment - he's busy munching on Humble Pie ;)

Bruce
11th March 2005, 08:53 AM
I haven't been able to get on to the cricinfo ball by ball scorecard either yesterday or today.

Perhaps the big business interests have put a DoS attack on it to keep productivity up to normal levels.

This is what happens when non mainstream broadcasters have the rights. SEN has the most pissweak signal. I can't get it in my office. And of course no FoxCarTel at work.

IT'S THE THIN END OF THE WEDGE PEOPLE!!

Fishman Dan
11th March 2005, 09:07 AM
I haven't been able to get on to the cricinfo ball by ball scorecard either yesterday or today.

Perhaps the big business interests have put a DoS attack on it to keep productivity up to normal levels.

This is what happens when non mainstream broadcasters have the rights. SEN has the most pissweak signal. I can't get it in my office. And of course no FoxCarTel at work.

IT'S THE THIN END OF THE WEDGE PEOPLE!!

Crikey.

Try Baggygreen.com.au.
Try FoxSports.
Try the USA, NZ or South African CricInfo mirrors.

;)

AndyP
11th March 2005, 09:14 AM
60 runs in the first hour.

I take it AndyP can't come to the computer at the moment - he's busy munching on Humble Pie ;)
No humble pie here. I only commented on yesterday's slow first session.
So who's our scapegoat so far?

Aussies to win with a day to spare.

Fishman Dan
11th March 2005, 09:38 AM
So who's our scapegoat so far?

Kaspa.

Or the selectors who picked him ahead of Lee :lol:

Onewood
11th March 2005, 09:40 AM
5 for 355 8)

A couple of wickets and now the're talking how well the bowlers have come back with reverse swing :roll:

Check out the highlights of the Warne wicket :shock: Gatting revistited but between the legs this time 8)

AndyP
11th March 2005, 09:57 AM
Check out the highlights of the Warne wicket :shock: Gatting revistited but between the legs this time 8)
I'd love to right now, but there is the little problem of having no Foxtel at Work. Bastards!

I guess I will have to wait until I get home.

Do the Kiwi's still have batting depth after a few replacements in their side? (Says he hoping for a collapse)

Jarro
11th March 2005, 10:13 AM

:shock:

even i wouldn't go that far :roll:

something amazing would need to happen pretty quickly for the Aussies to wrap this thing up in 4 days.

Bruce
11th March 2005, 11:24 AM
Wickets clattering a bit now.

From 4/355 to 9/415.

Still the best 1st innings the Aussies have chased in a long time.

AndyP
11th March 2005, 11:24 AM
Do the Kiwi's still have batting depth after a few replacements in their side? (Says he hoping for a collapse)
And it comes.
NZ 9/429. Hopefully Chris Martin doesn't last much longer (ave of 2).

Then the chase will begin. The Kiwi bowlers haven't put much off a dent in the Aussie batting line up all summer, so we'll see how they go. Vettori is the main problem.

Onewood
11th March 2005, 12:13 PM
I'm glad the paint dried while the KIWI's where batting :D coz at 5.83/over I'm looking for some entertainment after tea :D

Hayden, was'nt out :P the ball hit the ground :wink:

Jarro
12th March 2005, 09:10 AM
interesting stage of the match at the moment .... Aussies have lost a couple of quick wickets on day 3 (Ponting and Wonderboy :roll: ) so that only leaves Katich and Gilchrist as the remaining recognised batsman.

When was the last time the Aussies went into the second innings behind on the scoreboard :?:

AndyP
12th March 2005, 09:32 AM
Uh-ho, spagetti-o.
6/221

When was the last time the Aussies went into the second innings behind on the scoreboard :?:
India maybe. There was a match where India declared at 700+.

Jarro
12th March 2005, 09:38 AM
.. saying that though, Katich looks in great touch..and we all know what Gilly can do :shock:

might end up pretty even after 1 dig each.

Fishman Dan
12th March 2005, 10:45 AM
Looks like Gilly is slaughtering Vettori, and Katich has a rapid 50 as well. Must be great TV :cry: :cry:

AndyP
12th March 2005, 10:49 AM
Looks like Gilly is slaughtering Vettori, and Katich has a rapid 50 as well. Must be great TV :cry: :cry:
I'm very jealous of those watching Gilly go nuts. It's not quite the same reading text.

Jarro
12th March 2005, 11:31 AM
Looks like Gilly is slaughtering Vettori, and Katich has a rapid 50 as well. Must be great TV

I'm very jealous of those watching Gilly go nuts. It's not quite the same reading text.

\:D/ :D :smt098 :smt112 :smt116 :smt023 :smt026 :smt110 :smt048 :smt055

Fishman Dan
12th March 2005, 11:36 AM
Looks like Gilly is slaughtering Vettori, and Katich has a rapid 50 as well. Must be great TV

\:D/ :D :smt098 :smt112 :smt116 :smt023 :smt026 :smt110 :smt048 :smt055

I was wondering where your reply was, but it's obvious that you had to wait so long for all those smilies to appear on dialup. :roll:

[Sorry, it's all i had]

Jarro
13th March 2005, 12:23 PM

looks like you might've picked this one right .... Aussies are 1/25 at tea, chasing 133.

Amazing how time and again the Aussie bowlers click into gear and smash the opposition into submission. I think maybe the Kiwi's 1st innings might have hurt the boys pride..and they seemed to be a lot more determined bowling in the 2nd dig ... especially Gillespie :shock:

terryand
13th March 2005, 01:04 PM
i guess they want to play golf tomorrow :wink:

Terry.

Jarro
13th March 2005, 01:14 PM
i guess they want to play golf tomorrow :wink:

Terry.

don't we all :smt023 :lol:

terryand
13th March 2005, 02:14 PM
How do the sheepherder's recover from that thumping, after being in such a strong position only3 or 4 sesions ago.

The wrecking ball cotinues its path of destruction.

Another whitewash coming up after this game.

Any confidence thethey might have had after the first 2 days has been well and truely eroded away.

Terry.

AndyP
13th March 2005, 02:19 PM

looks like you might've picked this one right ....
Jarro, did you have to post that, before I had a chance to gloat.

Oh ye of little faith. When will you stop underestimating the might of this Australian Test side.

If only I could have watched it on TV, or at least heard it on the radio.

Jarro
13th March 2005, 02:34 PM
pretty ordinary batting display from the N.Z'ers :P

bring on the 2nd test .. starts next friday .... Jarro's on days off ..... guess what i'll be doing Fishy :?: :P :P :P

that's 6 test wins in a row for the Aussies too ..... what money for 8 in a row :lol:

McMw
19th March 2005, 01:17 AM
finally got to watching the cricket when I was in Perth...it was awesome...

watching it live before teeing off, and watching the replay in the evening!!! 8)

can't belive Hamish got down TWICE by the same delivery... :lol: :lol: :lol: