PDA

View Full Version : NSW: Zeus and IDG Heading to Sydney - 12th and 13th of Feb

idgolfguy
3rd February 2010, 03:17 AM
Zeusgolfer and I are heading into Sydney for the TopGear Stage show on the Saturday. We're staying in North Ryde.

We land at 6am Friday, and I have reciprocals at Castle Hill and Concord, so I have booked us to play there. Not sure about the travel side of things but I believe Castle Hill is a fair drive. We've got a tee time at 8am.

Saturday is open at the moment but we'll probably play on the course at Ryde. Our accommodation overlooks some of the course.

Saturday is when we make up to our wives by buying them gifts for when we return to Perth on Sunday morning.

Friday night maybe an opportunity to catch up if anyone is free, we're were planning on heading into the city.

Grunt
3rd February 2010, 05:51 AM
By the sounds of it you are staying near Ryde-Parramatta GC. WOuld be pricey to play there socially on a weekend.

Getting out of the airport to Castle Hill buy 8am will be a struggle also. Could do it but I would be backing the fact you may not be out of the airport by 7. I assume you are also hiring a car.

Russ
3rd February 2010, 06:17 AM
Airport to Castle Hill in an hour is piss easy. Shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes.

Whilst it's a crap time, you are going against the traffic, so you won't have a lot of trouble there - but you will have to take the roads with Tolls.

Not sure if hire cars come pre-fixed with a toll pass, or if you just go through them and pay the hire company the amount when you return the car - but you will need to use those roads otherwise you'd have no chance, so if a Toll Pass is an option when hiring, tick "yes".

It's also basically one road - they all feed directly into each other. Eastern Distributor, Harbour Tunnel, Lane Cove Tunnel, M2, turn right onto Windsor Rd, Left into Spurway Dr, park your car, play golf - Easy peasy!

Sydney Hacker
3rd February 2010, 06:51 AM
45 minutes is very optimistic at that time of the day, but it "probably" shouldn't take you an hour to get out of the airport. If you have the chance of a slighty later tee time I would be grabbing it just to play if safe.

Ryde Parra would be pretty hard to get onto during a Saturday wouldn't it ?

Dotty
3rd February 2010, 08:21 AM
Try for a later time, if possible.

I've got only a vague idea about southern Sydney or peak hour traffic, but the eastern distributor at 7-9am would get a lot of CBD commuter traffic from the south, and those coming off the M5 from the south-west. (It is still the best route, to get from SE to NW Sydney.)

Also check where you are staying, as North Ryde and Ryde-Parramatta are different courses, about 8km apart. (RP has a highly visible motel on Victoria Road beside the course, and NR probably has serviced apartments on Coxs or Wicks Road backing onto the course.)

I may be able to catch up, but don't know what work will be scheduled for Friday night.

idgolfguy
3rd February 2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback.
We are staying on Victoria road in West Ryde.. The course is Ryde-Parramata.

Maybe we do do Concorde first. Check-in and then head to Castle Hill. Couldn't get onto Concorde or Castle Hill on Saturdays with a guest for the comps.

Any other recommendations for Saturday morning?

Johnny Canuck
3rd February 2010, 11:03 AM
Take a drive to Long Reef if you can get on. My favourite course in the world. On the way back, stop for lunch in Manly and head to the beach to check out all of the nice backpackers.

Eldrick
3rd February 2010, 11:12 AM
Any other recommendations for Saturday morning?

Twin Creeks?
its a private course but explain your from interstate
about a 40mins on a Sat morning

Dotty
3rd February 2010, 11:19 AM
If it is a game on Saturday morning, Lynwood Country Club may be your best bet. (Approx. 50 mins drive from RP.)

There is a recent course review on OzGolf, and their contact details on their website. Only a new course, so I'd expect timeslots available whilst it builds up the membership base.

Variety of opinions of the place, and I'm in the 'should improve with time' faction. (I'm biased, as I often drive past the lush turf farms on the other side of the river, and under the delusion it would be identical right-away.)

If you are thinking of a game there, then I'll join you, and we may be able to get KristianJ or another Ozgolfer to join us.

KristianJ
3rd February 2010, 03:02 PM
13th would probably be tough for me, not just because of the lack of handicap burden (unless they don't have comp on Saturdays). Plus I have cricket in the arvo, so may be a little pushed for time leading up to lunch.

idgolfguy
3rd February 2010, 03:11 PM
Don't have an issue with driving but will see what Zeus wants to do.

Grunt
3rd February 2010, 05:45 PM
If it is a game on Saturday morning, Lynwood Country Club may be your best bet. (Approx. 50 mins drive from RP.)

There is a recent course review on OzGolf, and their contact details on their website. Only a new course, so I'd expect timeslots available whilst it builds up the membership base.

Variety of opinions of the place, and I'm in the 'should improve with time' faction. (I'm biased, as I often drive past the lush turf farms on the other side of the river, and under the delusion it would be identical right-away.)

If you are thinking of a game there, then I'll join you, and we may be able to get KristianJ or another Ozgolfer to join us.

I could join you for that. Really not sure of anywhere else in Sydney that you can get on for Saturday morning.

Sydney Hacker
3rd February 2010, 05:48 PM
I could join you for that. Really not sure of anywhere else in Sydney that you can get on for Saturday morning.

Try that EZLinks website and head out to Twin Creeks.

Grunt
3rd February 2010, 05:49 PM
Thinking of playing comp too I think though

Zeusgolf
3rd February 2010, 09:32 PM
Take a drive to Long Reef if you can get on. My favourite course in the world. On the way back, stop for lunch in Manly and head to the beach to check out all of the nice backpackers.

I got reciprocal at Long Reef....but its miles from the Airport....

Johnny Canuck
4th February 2010, 12:24 AM
We'll worth the drive.

idgolfguy
4th February 2010, 02:18 AM
I don't mind the drive.

Nuffie
4th February 2010, 04:31 AM
I haven't played Long Reef but have been told it's tricky in the breeze. It would take you at least 40 - 50 mins from the airport to get to the mid-northern beaches. Though from memory, I dont think it's all that long, plays a bit linksy like Wollongong.

Ryde Parramatta is ok, but not overly impressive I'd say (played it 5 times) and a bit like Strathfield, holes bit repeditive. I know you and Zeus might be let down by either of those based on what you used to here in WA.

Oatlands GC (Peter Lonard's old course) is 10-15 mins from your hotel and very posh, but non-members rarely get on there on a Saturday, a bit like Mount Lawley/WAGC.

BUT within 30 mins drive from the airport, straight down the M5 motorway heading west and exiting at Liverpool, you can get great value for money playing either New Brighton, Liverpool OR Cabramatta - my old happy hunting grounds :)

All of these 3 courses are MAGNIFICENT, at least 4 -4.5 stars, especially Livo, home of the NSW Open a few years back. Cabs and New B are about 5.9km long, hilly and a bit like WAGC. Livo is a kikuyu track, playing flat and LONG at 6.3km with some big greens and tough/lengthy par 4's. There's a bit of water too/risk and reward going on, a bit like The Lakes course near the airport. Only trouble is, getting on during members sat comps on all 3 of these could prove troublesome. I'd ring and ask them the question though and my preference of the 3 would def be Livo.

If this proves to be so and you cant get on either of them 3, drive 20 mins further along the M5/Camden Valley way and play either Camden Lakeside, Macarthur Grange or Camden Valley. I think you may get onto Camden Valley on a Saturday from memory.

So you have some great options there boys. I say play Livo if you can get on it. It will test you guys out. I've never played to my handicap there.

Johnny Canuck
4th February 2010, 01:07 PM
I haven't played Long Reef but have been told it's tricky in the breeze. It would take you at least 40 - 50 mins from the airport to get to the mid-northern beaches. Though from memory, I dont think it's all that long, plays a bit linksy like Wollongong.

Ryde Parramatta is ok, but not overly impressive I'd say (played it 5 times) and a bit like Strathfield, holes bit repeditive. I know you and Zeus might be let down by either of those based on what you used to here in WA.

Oatlands GC (Peter Lonard's old course) is 10-15 mins from your hotel and very posh, but non-members rarely get on there on a Saturday, a bit like Mount Lawley/WAGC.

BUT within 30 mins drive from the airport, straight down the M5 motorway heading west and exiting at Liverpool, you can get great value for money playing either New Brighton, Liverpool OR Cabramatta - my old happy hunting grounds :)

All of these 3 courses are MAGNIFICENT, at least 4 -4.5 stars, especially Livo, home of the NSW Open a few years back. Cabs and New B are about 5.9km long, hilly and a bit like WAGC. Livo is a kikuyu track, playing flat and LONG at 6.3km with some big greens and tough/lengthy par 4's. There's a bit of water too/risk and reward going on, a bit like The Lakes course near the airport. Only trouble is, getting on during members sat comps on all 3 of these could prove troublesome. I'd ring and ask them the question though and my preference of the 3 would def be Livo.

If this proves to be so and you cant get on either of them 3, drive 20 mins further along the M5/Camden Valley way and play either Camden Lakeside, Macarthur Grange or Camden Valley. I think you may get onto Camden Valley on a Saturday from memory.

So you have some great options there boys. I say play Livo if you can get on it. It will test you guys out. I've never played to my handicap there.

Attaboy Nuffie, giving a review on a course that you haven't played!

Long Reef is a links course, with some crazy elevation changes and right on the Ocean. It is my favourite course to play in the entire world.

I reckon it would take a bit longer to get there from the airport though.

Nuffie
4th February 2010, 09:55 PM
Attaboy Nuffie, giving a review on a course that you haven't played!

Long Reef is a links course, with some crazy elevation changes and right on the Ocean. It is my favourite course to play in the entire world.

I reckon it would take a bit longer to get there from the airport though.

JC is correct here, but I'm just giving the boys the limited background I have. Yes, I haven't played Long Reef, but have driven past it dozen's of times over the years. It has cliffs that look over Dee Why/Long Reef beaches, with elevation changes that appear very pronounced, but just going off what feedback I've received from the Cabra major pennants players, I dont think they were overly wrapped in it. Thats all I was getting at with my slight critique of the course, the boys have heaps options, but they just need to get on one.

I'm thinking about playing Long Reef now (based on your evaluation of it) when I go over in June to form a more accurate opinion, I have reciprocal there through Hartfield CC.

The travel time could be at least 1 hr from Ryde on a Saturday with the northern beaches traffic on the M2/causeway near Chatswood to get there, I was just under the impression the boys were going there from the airport and spoke to ID regarding his plans today for the Sat. Boy, you know my old town well :) I should take you there sometime to play Cabs and Livo, you'll enjoy those :)

ParMaster
4th February 2010, 10:10 PM
Long Reef is a very nice golf course, but not in the upper tier of courses in Sydney. Unless the wind is blowing, then the course is very easy since there isn't any trees or trouble to grab your ball.

Although I would play there if I were you fellas because there probably isn't anything like it in WAnker territory.

Johnny Canuck
4th February 2010, 11:40 PM
It's not the best course, but I have more fun playing it than any other course around. It rates pretty well in the top 50 rankings as well.

It can be a beast in the wind. I remember playing the Par3 10th and not being able to get there with a flushed driver.

Holes 13 - 17 are magic.

davepuppies
9th February 2010, 04:51 PM
Long reef has some of the best greens on the beaches.....

In the wind it is a very hard course, with 6-7 clubs difference into a headwind.....

Not a lot of trouble if you spray it, first 6 holes are a little tighter though.

Very scenic on the back nine.

Another good course is Mona Vale, not as windy, but more trees....

davepuppies
9th February 2010, 04:53 PM
It's not the best course, but I have more fun playing it than any other course around. It rates pretty well in the top 50 rankings as well.

It can be a beast in the wind. I remember playing the Par3 10th and not being able to get there with a flushed driver.

Holes 13 - 17 are magic.

I played there a month ago in crazy wind, on the 16th and 17th (par 4s) i flushed my driver, flushed my 2 iron, and was still 100 out from the green.......

For reference i normally hit my driver 250-260 and 2 iron 210-220......

I had 23 points on front 9, and 14 on the back when the wind picked up!

idgolfguy
9th February 2010, 05:32 PM
Have tried to get on Saturday but to no avail at this stage.

Zeusgolf
9th February 2010, 07:47 PM
I think we are going to get wet....

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/nsw/forecasts/sydney.shtml

ParMaster
9th February 2010, 08:45 PM
I played there a month ago in crazy wind, on the 16th and 17th (par 4s) i flushed my driver, flushed my 2 iron, and was still 100 out from the green.......

For reference i normally hit my driver 250-260 and 2 iron 210-220......

I had 23 points on front 9, and 14 on the back when the wind picked up!

You think that's bad dave..

At NSW 2 weeks ago I couldn't reach the 13th hole with 3 drivers in a row, all of which were perfectly struck. And that hole is 380m..

Johnny Canuck
9th February 2010, 09:50 PM
Good to see you made it past the first hole PM.

idgolfguy
11th February 2010, 12:54 AM
I think we are going to get wet....

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/nsw/forecasts/sydney.shtml

I packed my umbrella.

idgolfguy
12th February 2010, 11:01 AM
Currently playing Castle Hill. Will give Concorde a miss as we won't get there in time. After first 9, Zeus is 43 and I'm 46 with a triple on the 9th'

Johnny Canuck
12th February 2010, 11:35 AM
Where else are you playing?

Say hi to my brother in law. He lives in Castle Hill.

Grunt
12th February 2010, 12:58 PM
Would have been rather warm out there, is a stinker here in Sydney today.

idgolfguy
12th February 2010, 01:55 PM
Finished Castle Hill ands enjoyed it thoroughly. Zeus hit 40 and I hit 30. Was going to play Concord but will try for tomorrow morning.

Checking into the Comfort inn and get some lunch. Will look for a course nearby to play after.

adlo
12th February 2010, 01:58 PM
Zeus = bandit.

Get him playing 54 holes today and see how quick he fades.

idgolfguy
12th February 2010, 02:03 PM
He was complaining that he didn't sleep on the plane, over did it in the garden and had a sore back. He three putted for bogey a few times too.

Johnny Canuck
12th February 2010, 02:41 PM
He was complaining that he didn't sleep on the plane, over did it in the garden and had a sore back. He three putted for bogey a few times too.

Do we have to start calling him HeraGolf or VenusGolf? It seems much more appropriate. Zeus would never complain.

idgolfguy
12th February 2010, 03:10 PM
Going to play Liverpool at around 4pm. Let me know via phone if anyone wants to play. I'll my number here for 20 or so. 0458497325

idgolfguy
12th February 2010, 03:48 PM
Zeus predicted that it was going to p155 down this afternoon. Hoefully it eases off as we're about 10 mins. from Liverpool and meeting Pups.

Not used to the traffic - takes so long to get anywhere and the roads seem to lack maintenance.

sms316
12th February 2010, 03:50 PM
You going to tear Pup a new one?

Johnny Canuck
12th February 2010, 03:53 PM
Let me know if his wedge game is better than Phil's.

Did Venus get her beauty sleep in between rounds?

Eldrick
12th February 2010, 04:09 PM
Zeus predicted that it was going to p155 down this afternoon. Hoefully it eases off as we're about 10 mins. from Liverpool and meeting Pups.

im at work about 10mins from Liverpool
and its pissing down lol
hope they have umbrella holders

idgolfguy
12th February 2010, 04:11 PM
Hopefully he shows. We know have clear skies and it is now 4.10.

adlo
12th February 2010, 04:13 PM
Where are you playing? Or you just meeting Pup for a short game demonstration?

Originally spoken by Phil Mickelson Pup
Let's have some fun with our short game today guys.....

Johnny Canuck
12th February 2010, 04:14 PM
Maybe he was referring to IDG's height.

idgolfguy
12th February 2010, 04:18 PM
Where are you playing? Or you just meeting Pup for a short game demonstration?

Liverpool. Don't have his number so can't ring him.

We want to play 18, it's 4.30 so we're teeing off the first.

Grunt
12th February 2010, 04:34 PM
Going to play Liverpool at around 4pm. Let me know via phone if anyone wants to play. I'll my number here for 20 or so. 0458497325

Bugga missed this, I could have joined you guys. Is hot though! Around 38 here at Prestons.

idgolfguy
12th February 2010, 04:39 PM
Could Always meet for the second 9. Feels like we're in Indo.so humid.

Grunt
12th February 2010, 04:41 PM
Enjoying a beer here now, sorry guys. Enjoy the rest of your round.

idgolfguy
12th February 2010, 04:47 PM
What's a good pub meal between here and Ryde. Going to go couple after.

TourFit
12th February 2010, 04:50 PM
You guys should beat Liverpool...everyone else is at the moment !!! :mrgreen:

Grunt
12th February 2010, 04:53 PM
What's a good pub meal between here and Ryde. Going to go couple after.
Have heard good reports for Lansvale Hotel, is just on the highway as you come from the course.

sms316
12th February 2010, 04:55 PM
Take Pup to Maccas. He would be awesone on the grill. He'd be able to flip the patties with his lob wedge.

adlo
12th February 2010, 04:57 PM
Take Pup to Maccas. He would be awesone on the grill. He'd be able to flip the patties with his lob wedge.

:smt038:smt038:smt038

Brilliant.

idgolfguy
12th February 2010, 04:58 PM
He hasn't showed.

Johnny Canuck
12th February 2010, 04:59 PM
Does he have enough acne to work the grill?

Pieface
12th February 2010, 05:13 PM

GOLD! :smt038

ParMaster
12th February 2010, 05:39 PM

:lol:

I think I will be getting shit about this for a long long time! :mrgreen:

Always worth a try though. ;)

sms316
12th February 2010, 05:40 PM
Why did you stand these lads up Pup?

ParMaster
12th February 2010, 05:41 PM
I think they mean davepuppies Shaun.

idgolfguy
12th February 2010, 05:46 PM
He said Pup on the phone so I took it to be Davepuppies. The weather was bad driving up here so I hope he didn't get into any trouble.

We're just playing the 10th now.

ParMaster
12th February 2010, 05:50 PM
Well ID I can tell you it wasn't me. I started calling Dave Pup as well, so maybe he has started calling himself that?

ParMaster
12th February 2010, 07:29 PM
How you guys finish?

Also any word from 'Pup'? :)

Johnny Canuck
12th February 2010, 07:30 PM
Back on the grill PM!

KristianJ
12th February 2010, 07:32 PM
Do I smell a Pupwah on the way?

Hopefully they have finished up...starting to get wet around Liverpool according to the radar.

Johnny Canuck
12th February 2010, 07:36 PM
I'm curious to hear a course review. It looks like it is in a great spot according to Google maps.

ParMaster
12th February 2010, 07:43 PM
JC, Liverpool is a nice course. Probably one of the hardest courses anywhere. Also there is lots and lots of water to be avoided..

idgolfguy
12th February 2010, 07:43 PM
We got through to 14 and then got soaked. Just ordered our meals at the Three Swallows.
Liverpool was lush Kike. The rough was thick. After 9 Zues was 19 and I was 15 points. I came back a little and Zeus had hit the wall with 3 shanks in row on the 12th so we called it a day

ParMaster
12th February 2010, 07:48 PM
What was your favorite hole at Liverpool IDG?

idgolfguy
12th February 2010, 11:18 PM
I think it was the par 5, 8th. It's about index 16 or 17. Hard to believe that it's supposed to play that easy. We had a strong breeze into our face and I had hit a solid drive and was left with 209m to the pin across a lake. It was a strong breeze and made it too 20 short and right with 3 wood! I missed the 5 footer for birdie.

It is a good risk-reward hole but still think or should be indexed lower. Although I was only 15 pts for the nine, I found that The water wasn't too much of an issue. If I could get out of bunkers in less than 2 shots, I would have had a better score.

Zeus found both courses relatively easy. Hit hit 19 on the front but faltered due to exhaustion.

Zeusgolf
13th February 2010, 10:47 PM
Why does it rain in Sydney so much ???

KristianJ
13th February 2010, 11:35 PM
Why does it rain in Sydney so much ???

Those bloody migrating cane toads brought that cyclone down with them...

In all seriousness though, I can't recall a week and a half where it's rained as much as this one...

idgolfguy
14th February 2010, 05:53 AM
Wish we had this weather in WA. Although the humidity sucks.