PDA

View Full Version : Draw Or Fade

Eag's
1st February 2010, 06:50 PM
If you could hit either shot shape consistently, what would you use as your stock shot?
I hit everything with a draw, hook or snap and would really like to learn how to fade the ball.
Chuck your preference in the poll.

Jarro
1st February 2010, 06:53 PM
I'd love to be able to hit a slight draw with the driver :)

Daves
1st February 2010, 06:53 PM
Personally I would prefer a straight shot as my default. Whether I tend to draw or fade depends on the day.

adlo
1st February 2010, 07:05 PM
A fade behaves much more predictably, lands softer on greens. This is much better IMO, all you lose is a hint of distance/lack of roll with the driver. Meh.

A draw can turn into a snap. This is the worst shot in golf IMO. Even worse than a shank. At least a shank stays in play sometimes.

henno
1st February 2010, 07:05 PM
I'd take a fade all day. Like adlo said, higher, softer, more consistent.

Yossarian
1st February 2010, 07:12 PM
Hooks stop.

If you hit them into trees.

I like my draw, can't hit a fade really anymore.

virge666
1st February 2010, 07:13 PM
In the words of Lee Trevino

You can talk to a fade but hooks just don't listen.

Or Moe Norman . . .

Only one thing you say to a draw . . . "Get Down, Get Down"

PeteyD
1st February 2010, 07:15 PM
It is better to burn out, than to fade away.

Although the last 6 months I have been learning to hit a fade to stop the snap hooking.

Yossarian
1st February 2010, 07:16 PM
Socket rust never sleeps.

adlo
1st February 2010, 07:18 PM
I like my draw, can't hit a fade really anymore.
That is another issue entirely, but I am refrained from saying anything. I might start talking to you about in our round 2 matchplay. That oughta mess with your head :mrgreen:

In the words of Lee Trevino

You can talk to a fade but hooks just don't listen.

Or Moe Norman . . .

Only one thing you say to a draw . . . "Get Down, Get Down"

So true. Veefore was telling me the other day how Hogan obsessed over turning a hook into a fade through his golfing life. Seemed to work.

I think a low hooky shot or power draw is useful when you need a heap of run or for the odd recovery shot. Otherwise, too painful if you accidentally turn the face over a bit too much.

I find it hilarious that almost every golfer I play with is obsessed with hitting a draw. Maybe it is because they all hit flippy power slices.

How many big names have played a big draw over their career? I know Kenny Perry is one of the prime examples these days. Tiger plays a slight draw, but hits his fair share of cut shots too.

3oneday
1st February 2010, 07:19 PM
Fade the driver, draw the rest ;)

Yossarian
1st February 2010, 07:22 PM
That is another issue entirely, but I am refrained from saying anything. I might start talking to you about in our round 2 matchplay. That oughta mess with your head :mrgreen:

=;

:smt098

davepuppies
1st February 2010, 07:31 PM
Fade the driver, draw the rest ;)

I would prefer the opposite, i prefer to draw the driver and fade my irons into the green..... Not sure if you were taking the piss or serious 3?

zacdullard
1st February 2010, 07:40 PM
I prefer a draw. I think that they feel better off the clubface.

Minor_Threat
1st February 2010, 07:41 PM
My stock shot is a fade..

As a junior / trainee I copped plenty of flack for my "power fade", and I spent some time trying to make a draw my stock shot. In the end I gave up and played with my natural shape. After I did this I cleaned them up most weeks.

I can hit a draw when I need to.

Scoot
1st February 2010, 07:44 PM
I spent a couple of years trying to get rid of my consistent and reliable fade. I did it and realised that most shots at my course favour a fade. Additionally, I really like the look of the shot. It's taken a while to get that back.

Now at the moment, I just like them to go forward, but I can still hit a draw (or hook) if I'm in between clubs or need to recover from under a tree,

ParMaster
1st February 2010, 07:49 PM
I almost always hit a fade with my shots unless I have to hit a draw. I'd prefer a draw though because it suits the shape of my home course. NSW has 1 dogleg right and like 4 or 5 to the left.

But I love the high fades on my irons. I wouldn't want to lose that.

Peter
1st February 2010, 07:50 PM
Provided it is a consistent draw or fade (i.e. not a hook or slice) then it probably doesn't matter. In saying that I would prefer to hit a fade.

henno
1st February 2010, 07:50 PM
I almost always hit a draw with my shots unless I have to hit a draw. I'd prefer a draw though...

That made me laugh.

EDIT: you fixed it already. :razz:

3oneday
1st February 2010, 07:54 PM
I would prefer the opposite, i prefer to draw the driver and fade my irons into the green..... Not sure if you were taking the piss or serious 3?
I was being serious, sorry ;), doesn't happen often.

I find my driver gets away with a draw, whereas I can control a draw with my irons usually.

ParMaster
1st February 2010, 07:55 PM
That made me laugh.

EDIT: you fixed it already. :razz:

:lol:

Don't ask. :mrgreen:

matty
1st February 2010, 08:00 PM
A draw all the way. Would give my left nut to be able to consistently draw the driver.

But if I didn't have to pick between a draw or fade the biggest pleasure I get is from dead straight shots. I'm always playing for them.

davepuppies
1st February 2010, 08:06 PM

I find my driver gets away with a draw, whereas I can control a draw with my irons usually.

Fair enough mate..... i guess i prefer a fade as it gets higher and stops quicker on the green, and a draw runs longer and tends to fight a headwind better.......

davepuppies
1st February 2010, 08:07 PM
But in saying that, a block/push seems to be my stock shot lately!

henno
1st February 2010, 08:07 PM
A draw all the way. Would give my left nut to be able to consistently draw the driver.

Let me guess, you either fade the ball currently or are struggling for more distance. Or both.

LarryLong
1st February 2010, 08:09 PM
I think a gay fade is preferable to a draw. If you set up for the fade, you can aim at the left side of the fairway and you don't have to close your body to the target and look over your left shoulder at it. Much easier to trust.

Iain
1st February 2010, 08:10 PM
Whats a fade??? :neutral:

I'd love to learn to fade the ball consistently....

Hamo84
1st February 2010, 08:12 PM
I have been practising the Draw more often of late esp from Tee shots but find it very hard to control consistently

however my 'stock' shot is a fade. Which I find a lot easier to hit.

just
1st February 2010, 08:44 PM
What is this fade of which you speak?

sms316
1st February 2010, 08:45 PM
The only time I can get the ball to move right-to-left consistently is on the putting green. I learnt to live with it years ago. Only in the last few months am I beginning to have a fade on tap when required.

matty
1st February 2010, 08:49 PM
Let me guess, you either fade the ball currently or are struggling for more distance. Or both.

Distance is no problem. Just a constant fade which sometimes can fade and fade and fade and fade into an alternate universe.

Dazza
1st February 2010, 08:51 PM
I've been hitting a solid draw from the tee for a while now. But can unexpectedly produce a fade from time to time. :p
Still ends up down the middle!

razaar
1st February 2010, 09:08 PM

But if I didn't have to pick between a draw or fade the biggest pleasure I get is from dead straight shots. I'm always playing for them.
Easy fix, just hit it slightly towards the toe of the driver, the gear effect will do the rest. That is if your stock shot is straight straight.

TheTrueReview
1st February 2010, 09:12 PM
They don't call it a 'gay fade' for nothing. Draw all the way. :smt038

adlo
1st February 2010, 09:14 PM
And what is a draw called?

A "manly" draw? A "power-thirst" draw?

I vote it should be called a "I have issues with my manliness" draw.

Yossarian
1st February 2010, 09:17 PM
I am still waiting for you to elaborate on the causes of my ultra hetro draw adlo...

Courty
1st February 2010, 09:20 PM
I voted draw. In my earlier years I had a horrible slice. The harder I tried the further right it went. Since those days, I cringe at even a 2 metre fade.

Dotty
1st February 2010, 10:09 PM
I've been hitting a solid draw from the tee for a while now. But can unexpectedly produce a fade from time to time. :p
Still ends up down the middle!
Ditto, draw, but not-so-solid.

If it goes off-key, my swing cuts across the ball, shooting left, only to fade back. Usually followed by the comment 'What are complaining about? It's on the fairway.'

Toolish
1st February 2010, 10:55 PM
Draw...my fade seems to turn into a high bloke cut too easily...draw rarely goes too much, different to most.

Used to always be a slicer and worked damn hard to straighten it out so maybe it is to do with natural tendencies coming through on the ball that goes right!

Yossarian
1st February 2010, 10:58 PM
Draw...my fade seems to turn into a high bloke cut too easily...draw rarely goes too much, different to most.

Used to always be a slicer and worked damn hard to straighten it out so maybe it is to do with natural tendencies coming through on the ball that goes right!

Is this different to a gay fade? :mrgreen:

Johnny Canuck
1st February 2010, 11:52 PM

I'm the same as 3. Like a little fade with the driver and a slight draw on the irons. I tend to hit the 3 wood straight off the tee but prefer a little fade when hitting it into greens.

BrisVegas
2nd February 2010, 07:45 AM
I hit a small draw or fade depending on the day. Mine is not a setup thing so much as how much hands I use through the ball. Fade would be my safe shot with driver. I often try to draw my irons in an effort to keep it down but it typically goes pretty straight .

Eag's
2nd February 2010, 08:26 AM
I agree with what some have said so far in regard to the fade. Even if you do miss the green or fairway with a fade, the results are not as severe. My draw can quickly turn into a hook even with short irons like 8,9 or any wedge. I know in my case it is a swing fault which I am in the process of fixing. I have read and watched vids on how to hit a fade, but I am curious about how you go about it?
Is it a simple change to your set up or grip?

PeteyD
2nd February 2010, 08:38 AM
For me grip. I only venture into set up territory for big hooks or cuts out of the poop.

Lucasto23
2nd February 2010, 06:41 PM
Fade!!!
Draw = hook = more crap

I just aim to hit fades now as alternating between hooks and almost slices is not nice :(

Eag's
2nd February 2010, 07:24 PM
Off to the range tomorrow to see if I can suss out this thing called a fade :mrgreen:

Lucasto23
4th February 2010, 12:40 PM
open your stance ;)

henno
4th February 2010, 12:47 PM
I'm going to try the PeteyD approach: just change the grip and swing normal.

f00re
4th February 2010, 02:02 PM
Im happy with a dead straight shot, if my miss is a draw, I wouldn't complain

razaar
4th February 2010, 02:05 PM
Off to the range tomorrow to see if I can suss out this thing called a fade :mrgreen:
Don't be daft Eags, practice controlling the clubface through the ball. Your inside loop may require the clubface to be slightly open through the ball. Remember coming from way inside means you have to go to the outside past the ball not back inside right away because that will close the clubface. The latter will be the cause of your bad shots left. I'd set my grip with the face slightly open.

Having the clubface slightly open with a strong inside to out swing path will give you the shape of the ball starting right and drawing back. Go with your strengths mate.:)

Eag's
4th February 2010, 02:24 PM
Ray, funny enough I tried exactly what you suggested above at the range yesterday and the results were promising. I also worked out how to hit the fade as well so we will see how it all pans out on the course :)

BrisVegas
4th February 2010, 03:31 PM
good luck Eag's.

Lucasto23
4th February 2010, 03:35 PM
Go the fade Eag's an worst case you can always go back to the draw ;)

razaar
4th February 2010, 07:16 PM
Ray, funny enough I tried exactly what you suggested above at the range yesterday and the results were promising. I also worked out how to hit the fade as well so we will see how it all pans out on the course :)
Good stuff. I had visions of you doing an outside loop and stiffling a release to get a fade.

markTHEblake
4th February 2010, 11:47 PM

its really easy, just bend it in the air right to left a little bit.

parlyboy
4th February 2010, 11:50 PM
Im a hooker ( not that of the slut kind). But worked out recently that smooth take away + neutral grip + not trying to belt it + not thinking about anything really works!

Be the ball, go to your happy place....