PDA

View Full Version : Best value and performance wet weather gear?

davepuppies
31st January 2010, 07:57 PM
Just doing some pre planning for the coming winter and therefore wet weather....

What brands offer good value?

I am looking for something that does not restrict my swing, is lightweight (breathes) and of course waterproof.

Being a titleist fan my first instinct is to buy footjoy, but i thought i would draw on the fantastic resource that is ozgolf and get some other suggestions and maybe get something better?

cheers

rhino62
31st January 2010, 08:10 PM
Do they still make Ralsport gear??

I have jacket & pants (around 20 year old now), the jacket probably needs some "venting" but apart from that they are great.

sms316
31st January 2010, 08:20 PM
FJ is great stuff (I have 5 of the buggers).

Cutter and Buck is OK, but I don't think they breath as well. Can't speak for adidas. Sunice is supposed to be pretty good.

markTHEblake
31st January 2010, 08:40 PM
Dave, i suggest changed thread title, to "which wet weather gear do you use"

Golfnut
31st January 2010, 11:12 PM
Sporte Leisure (http://www.sporte-leisure.com.au/) here.....only got the leightweight jacket for now but will be getting the pants before winter....breathes well, dosen't impede the swing and keeps me dry even in moderate rain....let's face it if it's chucking it down you would have a brolly anyway.

Not the cheapest around but work very well and it's Australian. (probably not Aus made though, but what is these days)

Dotty
31st January 2010, 11:40 PM
Best value? I usually just phone the pro-shop and chicken out.

I also have some 20yo Ralsport gear, if a game in the rain is unavoidable. (It was the bee's knees at the time, as it didn't turn into a sweat suit.)

No idea about newer brands.

Ned
31st January 2010, 11:49 PM
The Bar in the Clubhouse!!!!!!!!

Courty
1st February 2010, 09:33 PM
I have a short sleeve Sporte Leisure rain jacket. It's works well but the problem we face here is the humidity. It keeps you dry from rain, but you end up just as wet from sweat. Sometimes its better off not putting one on at all. :roll:

BrisVegas
2nd February 2010, 08:44 AM
I have a short sleeve Sporte Leisure rain jacket. It's works well but the problem we face here is the humidity. It keeps you dry from rain, but you end up just as wet from sweat. Sometimes its better off not putting one on at all. :roll:

yeah, that's been my thoughts as well. I've chopped the sleeves off a rainjacket and it's ok for mild weather, but if it's a typical Qld humid storm then you get too hot in them. Is there a rainjacket on the market that isn't stifling?

Scottt
2nd February 2010, 09:07 AM
Glenmuir makes very good short sleeve rain jackets that don't leave you sweating and sticky.

Sydney Hacker
2nd February 2010, 10:02 AM
The Cross factory outlet in Sydney had quite a few jackets last time I was out there. They sell them there for around the $100 mark and seem pretty decent.

I can't say I really bother with them in Sydney though, it doesn't really get cold/windy enough to need a top of the line one and the umbrella keeps me drier enough.

Having said that if I played on the coast somewhere I would probably want a good quality windproof one for winter.

davepuppies
2nd February 2010, 10:24 AM
Where is the cross factory outlet sydneyhacker?

Sydney Hacker
2nd February 2010, 10:34 AM
Brookvale, I think the street is Green St from memory.

This is the place - http://www.leisuresports.com.au/

TourFit
2nd February 2010, 12:13 PM
Just doing some pre planning for the coming winter and therefore wet weather....

What brands offer good value?

I am looking for something that does not restrict my swing, is lightweight (breathes) and of course waterproof.

Being a titleist fan my first instinct is to buy footjoy, but i thought i would draw on the fantastic resource that is ozgolf and get some other suggestions and maybe get something better?

cheers

That there is often the problem...multi layer jackets absorb water and get heavier as the round goes on. The convection then causes you to sweat inside the jacket and the extra weight can start to restrict.

I have found that the StayDri gear is great. Super lightweight (300gms for pants/jacket combo), fully waterproof, FULLY breathable and completely non restrictive. After the round you can just shake it off & stick it back in the bag WITHOUT having it smell next week if you forget to dry it out (water does not get absorbed at all).

I like the anorak better than the jacket...it hangs lower at the waist and has a elastic drawstring tightener rather than the jackets' fully elasticated waist and fitted style that seems to ride up more during swings. Also, the anorak has a concealed hood. But the best feature is the chest pocket which can turn the anorak inside out and into the pocket...also roll up the pants and squeeze in there and you have your full wets packed up in a 300g weight package about the size of a bag of sugar !!!

It's not cheap though ('bout the same as a FJ/Cross/Nike/Adidas suit), but if you're serious about playing in the rain then it is da bomb!

I had guys in St Andrews asking me where they could get some, and that they loved how light it was while being dry and comfortable inside!!! For Scottish golfers to ask that is pretty good advertising IMO...cause they usually need decent wets :)