PDA

View Full Version : My new wedges feel too light!

MegaWatty
31st January 2010, 12:46 AM
I changed from a TM RAC TP and A Mizzy MP-T to Maltby wedges. TF matched the swing weights to the rest of my irons, but they feel too light. I'm hitting them like crap as well. A lot of fat shots.

So, lead tape...I've had success using it on my 9015D to help my tempo.

Should I expect the same results with my wedges?

Is there anywhere in particular that I should put the lead tape to get the best effect?

TheNuclearOne
31st January 2010, 12:58 AM
Wedges are often played a couple of SW points higher than the irons. I'd add 4 grams to the lower back.

TheNuclearOne
31st January 2010, 01:02 AM
Here's the oil

PwfP6sGU4HA

MegaWatty
31st January 2010, 01:08 AM
Great stuff again TNO You da man! I actually had 4g of tape on but get the nerves going the night before I played and removed it from my three wedges!

Oh well. Back on it goes!

TheNuclearOne
31st January 2010, 01:13 AM
Good stuff buddy. Ralph talks some great tech. Put that 4 back and see how they go. Maybe 6 later.

simmsy
31st January 2010, 01:15 AM
what did tf s.w them at?

simmsy
31st January 2010, 01:16 AM
what spec is you r mizzy MP-T?

MegaWatty
31st January 2010, 01:17 AM
Anywhere on the back, close to the base is ok I'm guessing? I had one piece along the back of the flange and one piece directly above it. Both of them went across the entire width of the club.

I have these puppies
http://www.golfworks.com/images/400/1060.jpg

MegaWatty
31st January 2010, 01:18 AM
what did tf s.w them at?

Can't remember

what spec is you r mizzy MP-T?

58.10 or 58.08. Can't remember.

TheNuclearOne
31st January 2010, 01:41 AM
You can put it basically anywhere as 4 or 6 grams will not change flight. Put it where you like it.

MegaWatty
31st January 2010, 02:00 AM
5 grams added to 53 and 58. Going back to watch Ralph as to whether i should also weight up the 48.

TheNuclearOne
31st January 2010, 02:06 AM
Lead tape is my friend. I have two inches of it on the 2009 TP Burner i gamed today. I have 2 inches on my CB3 3 wood. I have a 360 gram Squareback with a shitload added to the cavity. Yep, i love the stuff :mrgreen:

markTHEblake
31st January 2010, 10:19 AM
why aren't you taking them back to the clown who built them, and tell him they don't work?

MegaWatty
31st January 2010, 10:22 AM
Don't have 5 hrs before my next round!

Golfnut
31st January 2010, 01:12 PM
:lol:

razaar
31st January 2010, 01:51 PM
Don't have 5 hrs before my next round!
I was told by a teaching pro years ago to swing slower with clubs that feel light and swing with a loop to the inside from the top of the backswing. His reason was the light weight heads encouraged an over the top move.

Most blades prior to 1988 had light weight heads compared to todays clubs. Conversely the shafts were heavier, I say this because the older blade clubs feel heavier than modern ones.:-k

TheNuclearOne
31st January 2010, 02:16 PM
The lead tape will cover him Raz. He's gained 2.5 sw points.

Would have been a good tip for mid last round tho that's for sure.

virge666
31st January 2010, 02:56 PM
why aren't you taking them back to the clown who built them, and tell him they don't work?

Yep - that is where I would be going . . .

TourFit
31st January 2010, 06:43 PM
Actually guys, the wedges ARE swingweighted heavier than the irons MW has...I think...depending on the irons he is using (I can't remember, he changes them more than me!!) ;)

From memory, which is not as good as it used to be, the PW id D3, the SW D4, and the LW D3...a lot of it depends on the head weight of the individual wedge and the length it's being played at !!! They have fairly decent size lead tip pins in them...

I distinctly remember saying to play them at that weight to start and see how they go, and that they can always be made them heavier (or slightly longer if needed) later !!!

MegaWatty
31st January 2010, 06:49 PM
I don't think it's an issue that TF has created, I think it's just my preference of a heavier wedge which is something I've found out through trial and error.

TF, don't try and hide behind me as a dirty ho. I've been using MP57s for 6 months now! :)

I'm thinking they might be taking the piss out of you. After watching the RM video, it's clearly a players choice as to weight he plays his wedges.

BTW, the cricket os boring, the weather is good and the beer is Midstrength.

TheNuclearOne
31st January 2010, 07:00 PM
Have you hit em with the tape?

TourFit
31st January 2010, 07:12 PM
Yep...OK.

Just that standard SW's for irons with DG's seems to be around D2...so then the PW 'should' be slightly heavier, SW slightly heavier again etc. I told you that it's all personal preference!!! Drivers, wedges, irons, putters ALL OF IT. There's also no right or wrong Swingweight...just possible and sometimes NOT possible!

PS: I know they're takin' the piss...they always do!!

MegaWatty
31st January 2010, 07:32 PM
Have you hit em with the tape?

Nup. Only play on Thursdays these days. :(

I'll be sure to report though. I'm probably gonna get TF to knock me up a few more wedges, plus, there's a bit of work to to on my incoming X20 tours so well know the exact weight that I like. :)

Happy endings rule!

MegaWatty
4th February 2010, 07:07 PM
I think it worked. Shot a 6 over and hit a couple of wedges pretty stiff. Thanks for everyone's advice. I guess I'm one of the guys that likes their wedges a little heavier.

TheNuclearOne
4th February 2010, 07:16 PM
Good stuff, glad it came off and noice score!

MegaWatty
4th February 2010, 07:17 PM
And the driver is going nicely as well. Obviously a tempo thing I'm guessing.

TheNuclearOne
4th February 2010, 07:20 PM
The mighty 9015D!

MegaWatty
4th February 2010, 07:22 PM
Just pulling back on it a little, and I'm still getting great distance. I think when I first got it, I knew how long it was as was trying to make it go as long as possible. Today, I just kept it tighter and it still performed.

TheNuclearOne
4th February 2010, 07:47 PM
Just pulling back on it a little, and I'm still getting great distance. I think when I first got it, I knew how long it was as was trying to make it go as long as possible. Today, I just kept it tighter and it still performed.

One of the great secrets of golf right there, and who isn't guilty of it at times.