PDA

View Full Version : Break between each 9 help.......

TheNuclearOne
30th January 2010, 10:13 PM
Our club often has big breaks between 9's as players are still teeing off for their first 9. It was 30 mins today.

My question is what do you serious golfers do to make sure you maintain some rage when you are playing well. I run hot today for 9 holes but as soon as we had the 30 min break i came out and played crap for a hole.

Looking maybe for a mental tip more than anything. I'm always going to sit down and have a bite and drink like everyone else.

Used to have the problem in cricket of getting out after drink breaks. The sage advice that fixed it was to completely reset by taking middle again etc like i was just starting to bat again.

markTHEblake
30th January 2010, 10:22 PM
My question is what do you serious golfers do to make sure you maintain some rage when you are playing well.

Nothing, never even considered it an issue.

Though i would normally have a practice swing or a stretch, because probably tightened up a bit.

parlyboy
30th January 2010, 10:25 PM
How long does it take to get around then?

henno
30th January 2010, 10:26 PM
That's shit. You should not be waiting 30 mins for the back nine. Either you went around the front in double-quick time or your club doesn't know how to manage the crossover.

TheNuclearOne
30th January 2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks Blakey.

Parly - first 9 we had ZERO traffic in front or near behind. I'd say we were around in 90 mins as a 3 ball. Second nine was much much longer.

TheNuclearOne
30th January 2010, 10:32 PM
Both i'd say Henno. I go a lot of the time in the first timeslot of the second stanza, say 10.47. Last tee off on the next 9 was 12.46.

Even as a 4 ball we often have substancial waits. You don't go until everyone has teed off that is yet to play.

parlyboy
30th January 2010, 10:33 PM
90 mins??? Takes first groups at our club 2 hours for first 9....

Agree with henno on that one, poor crossover management.

Later in morning it can take 90 mins to play 4 holes...

TheNuclearOne
30th January 2010, 10:41 PM
I reckon we took wayyyy over 2 the second 9.

What do your clubs do on the crossover? We don't go until everyone yet to tee off has gone.

Dotty
31st January 2010, 06:01 AM
I reckon we took wayyyy over 2 the second 9.

What do your clubs do on the crossover? We don't go until everyone yet to tee off has gone.
On a Sauturday and Wednesday, the club only has bookings for 90 mins each nine. (6.53-8.24 and 10.58-12.29) With 7 minute intervals, this gets 224 members a game.

This seems to give enough leeway for a faster 1st nine and/or a tee-time blowout. Minor problem at bigger events, when the club opens up extra time slots, based on the electonic waiting list.

Then, it is usually the other way, the 8.40 players haven't finished their 1st nine, and the 10.58 are waiting to hit off. Which they will, if the fairway is clear and the stragglers haven't got to the tee in time.

Also, a proshop employee ensures every group is ready on time and hits 'asap', or gets the next group to hit off ahead of them. (One part of the general slowness problem is players not getting to the club in time or still practicing, when they should be on the tee.)

Daves
31st January 2010, 06:41 AM
For our big comp days our tee times start from 6.00am off both tees, 7.54am is the last early spot. They start again on both tees at 10.48am, so that is a gap of 2hrs, 54mins which seems very generous. But seems to work admirably and gets 260/280 players through.

PeteyD
31st January 2010, 07:49 AM
If you go off in the early groups you are nearly always around prior to the last off the field starting.

senecio
31st January 2010, 09:11 AM
For our big comp days our tee times start from 6.00am off both tees, 7.54am is the last early spot. They start again on both tees at 10.48am, so that is a gap of 2hrs, 54mins which seems very generous. But seems to work admirably and gets 260/280 players through.

Same story down the road at Carbrook. 6am to 7:54am off both tees in the morning. I tee of at 6:26 most weeks and we get around in 1hr 40 mins before waiting 20-25 minutes to get on the back nine.

Back on topic, I stay at the clubhouse until the last minute. I like to make the 150m walk to the 10th and swing away. Nothing worse than standing behind the 10th and watching the 2 groups in front tee off.

LarryLong
31st January 2010, 09:15 AM
Stay at the tee and heckle all of the blokes teeing off while you wait.

I guess from a mental point of view it would be about not focusing on how long you've had to wait between holes and switching back on completely when the time comes to start playing your next shot. Lots of sportsmen do that by switching off completely in breaks or waiting periods.

markTHEblake
31st January 2010, 09:24 AM
Had this crossover trouble at one course and they fixed that easily.
in the morning groups, they made the back 9 starting tee times 3 or 4 groups less than the front.

This meant the early morning players off the first that flew around, didnt have to wait when they got to 10. That improvement snowballed onto the afternoon teetimes and the whole field was getting around quicker.

Note that this may not necessarily work on another course, as it all depends on where you have holes that cause golfers to bunch up.

LarryLong
31st January 2010, 09:29 AM
Had this crossover trouble at one course and they fixed that easily.
in the morning groups, they made the back 9 starting tee times 3 or 4 groups less than the front.

This meant the early morning players off the first that flew around, didnt have to wait when they got to 10. That improvement snowballed onto the afternoon teetimes and the whole field was getting around quicker.

Note that this may not necessarily work on another course, as it all depends on where you have holes that cause golfers to bunch up.

That was my first thought. I guess the only downside would be that if you don't have fast groups coming through you get a bit of dead time on the tee. Still worth doing if TNO's course always has a queue.

Surely this thread's been open for long enough for somebody to suggest having a wank? :)

razaar
31st January 2010, 09:36 AM
Having a long break between 9's during comp is normal at my old club. One of the things to be aware of in having a break is blood sugar levels and relaxation. Eating and drinking foods that give peaks and troughs in blood sugar (soft drinks, alcohol, fatty foods, confectionery) may affect your thinking and energy levels making it difficult to concentrate when you need to. Sitting for a long period between nines can tighten and shorten the hip flexor muscles which will restrict a proper turn for the first couple of holes until they loosen up again. My tips are: always have a couple of bananas (yellow not turning black) for the break and keep moving with a few hip flexor stretches. Also breathe deeper which will relax you.

TheNuclearOne
1st February 2010, 10:09 PM
Cheers guys, have taken quite a bit of this on board.

virge666
2nd February 2010, 10:09 AM
Willow gave me a grreat tip ages ago, he said to go and read the sign on the 10th hole, look at the map drawn, look at the distances, look at the index. Play the hole in your head and then go to the tee.

I use this for each hole nowadays and it seems to sort of switch me on and get everything in the right direction.

Great for days when it is really slow like Pro-Ams and Medal days.