PDA

View Full Version : eBay haggling

Fishman Dan
28th January 2010, 09:26 PM
I'm watching a product on eBay that is overpriced with a Buy It Now price, and sent a message to the seller as they don't have the Best Offer option. Effectively the product is new in box (unwanted gift - Christmas present :roll:).

I've just received a reply suggesting that the seller suggests they have the right price (ummm... it's still for sale isn't it?), and their friend paid a figure which is about $rrp + $30 - so total bullshit.

Do you call them on it?
Do you back out knowing that without a receipt your taking on too much liability?
Do you allow them to consider an offer, or do you just go hard with a low-ball offer?

henno
28th January 2010, 09:29 PM
Go hard with a lowball offer, while calling them on it. They can only ignore you and you've lost nothing.

DracZ
28th January 2010, 09:31 PM
Do you call them on it?
Do you back out knowing that without a receipt your taking on too much liability?
Do you allow them to consider an offer, or do you just go hard with a low-ball offer?

1. They don't give a toss what you think, they aren't a major chain that HAS to price-match whatever you throw in front of them.

2. If there isn't a "best offer" option, then how exactly are you going to go ahead with the transaction? Outside of eBay? Not recommended.

3. If the guy isn't willing to budge, tell them your a serious buyer and throw them a price you'd be willing to pay. If he changes his BIN price to suit, then great. If not just move on.

leighthebee
28th January 2010, 10:02 PM
eBay. tight arses and dreamers.

either stump the cost asked or wait for a different product.

i know i ignore all the "whats the lowest your willing to accept" messages

then again most auctions i start at 1c

Yossarian
28th January 2010, 10:29 PM
This is actually how I purchased my irons. The dude had them for about 600 BIN. Ha!

I sent him an message saying if they didn't sell I was happy to pay 400. Which is about what they are worth. They didn't sell he listed as BIN 400 and I get a new set of srixons for 400.

So go for the lowball. See what happens.

Minor_Threat
28th January 2010, 10:37 PM
1. They don't give a toss what you think, they aren't a major chain that HAS to price-match whatever you throw in front of them.

2. If there isn't a "best offer" option, then how exactly are you going to go ahead with the transaction? Outside of eBay? Not recommended.

3. If the guy isn't willing to budge, tell them your a serious buyer and throw them a price you'd be willing to pay. If he changes his BIN price to suit, then great. If not just move on.
This is my thoughts exactly..

markTHEblake
28th January 2010, 10:52 PM
why dont you just place a bid at your price?

DracZ
28th January 2010, 10:56 PM
why dont you just place a bid at your price?

Some auctions are BIN only. Or perhaps he's so eager to get the item in question he wants to snap it up before some guy willing to pay RRP+$30 does.

henno
28th January 2010, 10:57 PM
It's rather difficult to place a bit on a "Buy It Now", Blakey.

KristianJ
28th January 2010, 11:06 PM
This is my thoughts exactly..

Ditto. But keep an eye on the listing and if it hasn't sold, contact them and reiterate your offer, or if you are confident enough that the item can't possibly sell at the BIN, offer afterwards.

markTHEblake
29th January 2010, 12:17 AM
It's rather difficult to place a bit on a "Buy It Now", Blakey.

I didnt realise it was possible to have a "buy it now" only auction.
When i sell stuff, i put a BIN price but as soon as bidding starts it disappeared

Webster
29th January 2010, 07:00 AM
no harm in asking, but you shouldn't get upset if you dont like the answer Fishy..

Fishman Dan
29th January 2010, 07:04 AM
I'll wait this out and see what happens. They may get lucky and sell it to some unsuspecting so good luck to them. If I'm still keen in a few days I'll low-ball them as the listing draws to a close.

Blake - no auction, just Buy It Now.

Jack - the only person who is likely to get upset is the bride when I'm tinkering with another gadget in the lounge room.