PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 6 March 2005

Trung
8th March 2005, 11:39 AM
My GM stats are copping a huge hammering due to the last 2 rounds.

88 today :oops: :? :oops:

Onewood
8th March 2005, 11:41 AM

88 today :oops: :? :oops:

Whats happening :shock:

3oneday
8th March 2005, 12:03 PM

88 today :oops: :? :oops:Speeder not performing ???

Trung
8th March 2005, 12:15 PM
Pete, Speeder is fine :P .

Onewood, just a short bad patch.

I got you a picture from today... Yes, thats my ball :oops:

http://img190.exs.cx/img190/4149/picture14ov.jpg

amanda
8th March 2005, 12:46 PM
Now tell us the interesting stuff Trung - did you hit it from there or take an unplayable?

Trung
8th March 2005, 01:35 PM
8-[ 8-[ 8-[

Jarro
8th March 2005, 02:59 PM
79 today at Nudgee South.

drove the ball really well today. No penalty shots today .. even on my arch-enemy (hole 17) putted pretty ordinary though .... 32 in total.

Onewood
8th March 2005, 03:24 PM

drove the ball really well today. No penalty shots today .. even on my arch-enemy (hole 17) putted pretty ordinary though .... 32 in total.

You getting some practice in before tomorrow mate [-X :D

Jarro
8th March 2005, 06:15 PM

You getting some practice in before tomorrow mate [-X :D

first hit i've had since Burleigh mate .... thought i'd better try and get the cobwebs out before tomorrow :wink:

Ona
8th March 2005, 06:28 PM
thats two good rounds in a row now.. im scared :?

took a broom-stick out for the front nine, 1st hole was the first time i'd ever swung one but I felt like my putting couldnt get any worse. was proly doing it all wrong, but after a few holes it felt prety good.

anyway.. bogied 9 and 10 to go 3over, then banged in 3 birds on the trot, followed by a stupid bogey on 14 and a solid bird on 15, which included the best shot ive hit for years. didnt have my driver so i had hybrid into the green, was just in the rough with a good lie, swing felt perfect, shot flew high, online with right side, bunker is left edge, and drew into the centre of the green stopping a couple inches from the plug :D terrible tee shot on the last blew my par round :x

decided to try a new grip on the 12th (sunk a stinka on that hole) but i need to build up the grip and give it another go.

Eag's
9th March 2005, 01:58 PM
Played Logan today shot 81 for 41pts :D
Most tee shots were terrible but the short game was solid.

7 Greens
4 Fairways :oops:
32 putts

Onewood
9th March 2005, 02:05 PM
thats two good rounds in a row now.. im scared :?

took a broom-stick out for the front nine, 1st hole was the first time i'd ever swung one but I felt like my putting couldnt get any worse. was proly doing it all wrong, but after a few holes it felt prety good.

anyway.. bogied 9 and 10 to go 3over, then banged in 3 birds on the trot, followed by a stupid bogey on 14 and a solid bird on 15, which included the best shot ive hit for years. didnt have my driver so i had hybrid into the green, was just in the rough with a good lie, swing felt perfect, shot flew high, online with right side, bunker is left edge, and drew into the centre of the green stopping a couple inches from the plug :D terrible tee shot on the last blew my par round :x

decided to try a new grip on the 12th (sunk a stinka on that hole) but i need to build up the grip and give it another go.

Nice 67 Ona 8) just checked your round out while I was putting my stats in for today....those 3 green squares look good :P

75 for 39 points today with Jarro and Eags
Very happy with my swing at the moment 8) bring on the club champs (april 16th

Jarro
9th March 2005, 02:11 PM
83 for 37 points at Onewood Country club today :roll:

10 fairways
6 G.I.R's
33 putts :oops:

markTHEblake
9th March 2005, 03:55 PM
Played at home today and lost my mind in a bad way, worst case of club throwing in 10 years i reckon.

3 birdies, 3 three putts, 2 brilliant up and downs, one NTP, 2 in the water, and broke an umbrella, a 4 iron, an expensive tee, and sprained a thumb.

yet i managed to par the 16th and 17th, how come i cant do that when i am having a good round.

amanda
9th March 2005, 03:59 PM
did you break the umbrella and 4 iron at the same time?

Ona
9th March 2005, 04:43 PM
thanks Kev, and nice round to you, shame about the bandit :wink:

played again today :shock: two over 68 :D this is gonna be long, so quit now if youve met your word quota for the day.

started on the back and had a total of .. wait for it... ten putts! :smt119 started off perfectly with two greens in reg and one putt birds, then missed the next seven greens( :x ) and one jagged all bar the 16, only 5ft.( :evil: ) ten putts! my adhoc putter grip felt a treat. played the par 5's two shots worse than usual yet still put a score together, very happy.

the front hit 7 greens, made one bird, saved par on the first hole and doubled my nemesis the sixth, for another 34. total of 26 putts, cant recall last time under 30 :lol:

for the first time in a long time im very happy with my chipping, and the new putting style feels good so far. other than fighting a hook with the woods ive got no complaints.. almost doesnt feel right :roll:

AndyP
9th March 2005, 06:14 PM
bring on the club champs (april 16th)
That's a shame. Looks like you might be out of the McLeod Cup again.

Onewood
9th March 2005, 06:58 PM

What day is the cup on Sat or Sunday :?:

AndyP
9th March 2005, 07:09 PM

Haven't confirmed with McLeod yet, but the BDGA fixture indicates Saturday, April 16.

Onewood
9th March 2005, 07:12 PM

Haven't confirmed with McLeod yet, but the BDGA fixture indicates Saturday, April 16.

Trohpy cabinet is full anyway :D

AndyP
9th March 2005, 08:06 PM

Trohpy cabinet is full anyway :D
So you'll be giving the champs a miss then.

At least you have your priorities right.

markTHEblake
9th March 2005, 11:02 PM
did you break the umbrella and 4 iron at the same time?

nah, i broke the umbrella with me 6 iron. and that wasnt even the result of a bad shot, but a bad drop. Dropped the ball near the hazard and it rolled to within an inch of the hazard, so basically unplayable lie (standing in hazard to hit the ball). Umbrella paid the price for that, cheaper than breaking clubs.

but then I busted the 4 iron and my thumb on the next hole. didnt seem to be any point breaking the umbrella again.

McMw
9th March 2005, 11:12 PM
boy...my shocking round on Sunday has done wonders for my game this week...

played yesterday and today, and I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what I'm doing out there.... :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :?

doesn't bode well for all my planned golf games in Perth...might turn out to be a horror story... :oops: :oops: :oops:

might have to hit the range when I get back... :? :? :?

Flowergirl
10th March 2005, 06:03 PM
Second round of pennant today. Played at Mornington....bit hilly and postage stamp greens atop nasty little hills.
Was 3 down after 8 holes - playing well except for poor putting - we were very evenly matched.
Won the next two.....squared a couple.........won another.Oh I can't really remember - but I ended up winning on the 17th 2 up. I was so excited. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I didn't panic even when I was down, played my own game and let her feel the pressure and make the mistakes. And when I felt under pressure I sang and joked which probably annoyed the crap out of my opponent but hey it worked for me. :D
I just love pennant - makes me feel like I'm a real golfer ( I know - I'm off 20!!!)
Seven more sleeps until my next pennant game............yea.

Oh..I'm terrible aren't I!!!!!!!!!! By the way the team won 5-2 ( but you guys don't know the other girls so who cares.this is all about me!!!!!!!!

Did I happen to mention that i really enjoyed today and that I won and I really had a good time and I think I've had too may scotch and drys......BURP :twisted:

Jarro
10th March 2005, 06:11 PM
congrats on the win Flowergirl ... you're becoming a real performer when the pressure is on.

.. as for the scotch'n'dry comment ... you can NEVER have too many of those :wink: :lol:

AndyP
10th March 2005, 06:11 PM
Did I happen to mention that i really enjoyed today and that I won and I really had a good time and I think I've had too may scotch and drys......BURP :twisted:
I'll have a couple as well in celebration of your win. Congratulations and well done. =D>
Let's hope you've still got a few more wins left in you though.

Flowergirl
10th March 2005, 06:17 PM
I'll have a couple as well in celebration of your win. Congratulations and well done. =D>
Let's hope you've still got a few more wins left in you though.

A few more wins?????????? A FEW more wins?????????????I've got so more wins in me Andy my boy that it's scaring the cat :shock: ( yep - that is too many scotches - yep - too many BURP)

McMw
10th March 2005, 10:35 PM
went out in desperate hope this evening...how badly was i feeling???
well...so much so, I forgot to bring my lobwedge... :rolleyes:
borrowed a sand wedge from the proshop...

was working on taking my backswing away from me, and not too much on the inside...hit a great drive (notlong) down the first...bogeyed it...

after that, parred 2-8 and sank a beauty of a birdie putt on the last for a level par 9... :D

what a way to finish off the week...and come into Perth!!! 8)

markTHEblake
11th March 2005, 10:01 AM
I didn't panic even when I was down, played my own game and let her feel the pressure and make the mistakes.

Congratulations!
When your playing well its easy not to panic (even though too many golfers spit the dummy and give up anyway). Now that you have done that once, you will have more confidence when your in the same situation again.

The real test comes when you can dig deep when your playing crap.

In matchplay you have only two golfers to beat. Your opponent and yourself, the opponent is the easy one to knock off.

amanda
11th March 2005, 11:15 AM
That is great stuff FG! Can't wait to read about all these wins that are scaring your cat :wink:

Flowergirl
12th March 2005, 08:34 AM
After my brillant matchplay win :twisted: on Thursday thought I'd play 18 holes yesterday on my home course. Played two under my handicap and felt very comfortable with my game.
Played 9 holes of twighlight golf last night and had a very nice 44 ( par is 37) Was very happy with that. Am looking forward to getting back to playing in some comps so I can get that handicap down ( I only want to get to 18). But I haven't time to play both pennant and comp.
Hey you guys.........why aren't you posted your match reports. I love hearing how everyone is playing. :wink:

Trung
12th March 2005, 11:05 AM
36 points today...

Even par on front 9s... 6 over on the back :? (with 2 double bogeys on both par 5s) :?

Courty
12th March 2005, 03:07 PM
No golf this weekend. I popped a disc in my lower back playing volleyball on Wednesday night. And in any case, it's been raining non-stop for 2 days. Course is closed. My dad had 263mm in the 24 hrs to 9am this morning... :shock:

Bruce
12th March 2005, 06:49 PM
Grand Final vs Seabrook.

19 overs, 7 maidens, 2 for 28. (1 wide - slower ball that got away from me)

We are 2/32 chasing 122. Still 3 days of scheduled play to go.

gazgolf1
13th March 2005, 10:35 AM
35 pts yesterday at Royal Nudgee south course....hit a lot of fairways and greens but made nuthin :?
Could it be because I put a new putter in the bag on Friday?
No wonder us HO's can't putt. :cry:

Anyway here's my new putter.

http://img14.imgspot.com/u/05/70/18/sc.jpg

Jono
13th March 2005, 01:08 PM
Quarterfinal of 2BBB matchplay knockout. My partner was the low marker. Playing 3/4 the difference in handicap, I got 1 shot, our opponents, let's say player A and player B got 6 and 11 shots respectively. The way our matchplay index is organised, the first 9 shots are given on the EVEN holes. We have five par 3's on our course, and they are all EVEN holes. So on all the par 3's, we were giving either both or one of them a stroke. :? Player A was pretty short, bunting his drives 180-200 meters all day, but very straight. Player B was a bit shorter with a predictable slice that he obviously has learned to live with. Both pretty good short games for their handicaps. They won all the par 3's but one with net birdies ...

Anyway, cut long story short ... No, wait. I think I'll tell the whole story ... :wink:

On the 18th tee, we are 1 up and we give player B 1 stroke. I drive under a tree on the right, and tried to hit a low cut onto an elevated green. The ball flew the green and came to rest against a stone wall some 15 meters behind the green. Unplayable. My partner is just off the green but fails to get up and down. Player B is on for 4 and 2 putts for a 6 net 5. Player A has a 20 foot steep downhill putt for par and sinks it to win the hole. :shock: He's jumping up and down and going crazy ... :lol: So we are all square after 18, and we later worked out that our 2BBB scores would have been around 47 points. :shock:

Now, here's the thing. My partner has to go in 20 minutes. The most he can play is 1 extra hole. The 1st tee is occupied with pennents matches and there are still 4 groups to tee off. The club pro gives us the option of teeing off the 12th, downhill 200 meter par 3 where we would have to give both player A and B a stroke. It's highly unlikely either me or my partner would birdie this hole. Par would be a good score. Our opponents are straight hitters, and with no hazard in front of the green, they would have easily knocked it up short of the green and chipped and putted for either net birdie or par. So I figure we'd be doing well to tie that hole after which my partner would have had to leave. So I opted to wait and play down the first, a par 5 where none of us got shots. My partner couldn't wait for the pennents to finish, so he left, and I played against both player A and B. (I could tell player A was not happy about this as he wanted to play the 12th) We all played conservatively tee to green and were just off the green in 3 shots. Player B was about 10 meters left of the green and chillydipped his chip, failing to get on the putting surface, so he was effectively out of it. I went next, about 3 meters left of the green and I hit my chip a bit fat as well, leaving me a 12 footer. :oops: Advantage player A. He was about 2 meters left of the green, hit his chip crisply towards the hole, and the ball just lipped out, leaving him a 2 foot return putt. Phew ... I get another life ... :lol:

Things didn't look good at this stage. :( Enter Dr Bob and "Putting Out of Your Mind" (which I am reading at the moment, thanks to Amanda :smt023 ). He says that you shouldn't try too hard when you putt. You can't make it happen. You gotta let it happen. Give up control to gain control. My 12 footer was on a similar line to the chip that player A nearly holed. I had seen the line ... about 2 inches outside left lip and slightly uphill. Just trust the line and let it happen. It was almost an "out of body" experience. I don't really remember what I was thinking during my stroke. I just watched myself make the stroke and the ball started on the line I wanted, curled right and went in the hole. :lol: Player A looked visibly shaken. He probably thought that he had already won the hole and the match. Taking another leaf out of Dr Bob's book, I fully expected him to make the 2 foot putt (he had been holing everything inside 4 feet all day), and was already planning my tee shot on the 2nd hole. If I expected him to miss it and he ended up making it, it would have thrown me off. Anyway, he ended up making a jerky stroke and pulled it left. He was upset and kicked his ball into the water but quickly recovered his composure and congratulated me on the win. Man ... that was an exciting match. Nothing beats matchplay when it goes down to the wire. Especially if you win ... 8)

terryand
13th March 2005, 01:17 PM
Way to go Jono =D>

Worth the read.

Are you going to tell your partner you got it covered for next week and stay at home :wink:

Terry.

Flowergirl
13th March 2005, 02:04 PM
Fantastic work Jono...............wow you must have been so pumped. I bet your partner was happy too. THink you better find the superman avatar - talk about nerves of steel. :D
Keep us posted on the next matches outcome.

Pinglauncher
13th March 2005, 03:49 PM
Jono - great composure and I agree with the read on Bob Rotella. It is truly a great book.

37 points today (16 + 21) Wildly inconsistent round. 5 x 1 pointers, 1 wipe and 4 x 3 putts.

What a great game. :roll:

Trung
13th March 2005, 05:19 PM
Had a quick jab this morning..

32 points... Not too bad, changed the R7 position to Neutral and got a few away longer than usual. Overall, quite happy as I'm currently working on something new. :D

AndyP
13th March 2005, 07:00 PM
13/03/05, Hills International GC, Social Round (White Tees)

When is golf going to change the rules to allow you to only count your best 14 holes of the 18. If I could discount the 1st, 2nd, 9th and 18th today, I would have a very tidy score. 16 over for those 4 holes, 6 over for the other 14.
Was +2 on the back nine (parred the first 6), when I came to the par 5 18th. 3 lost balls and a 10 later, my back nine comeback was ruined.

Regardless I was pretty happy with the way I was hitting it today in my first 18 hole round in over a month. Greens were a bit inconsistent today, so it made putting a bit of a challenge, but the driver was pretty accurate, 3 wood is back in favour, and my rescues and irons are going well.

8/14 effective T-shots.
8/18 effective approaches.
34 putts.
----------
8 pars.
6 bogeys.
0 doubles.
4 other.
Score 51-43-94 nett 81 (par 36-36-72).

jimandr
13th March 2005, 09:51 PM
Some great stories in this thread this week, particularly the matchplay sagas of Flowergirl and Jono, but mine isn't one of them.

Another disappointing day on and around the greens for a paltry 32 points, which is worse because I just got another shot back. Trung will now have to give me a shot start :wink: . At New Brighton just before Xmas he was off 10 and I was off 5. I've gone from 5 to 7 in record time, it seems.

Nevertheless, the statistical story is a strange one.

Fairways: 12 of 14
Greens 8 of 18
Up and Down: 2 of 8
Sand Saves: 2 of 2 (both tap-ins :D )
Putts: 34. No birdies, 2 three putts.

We were playing from the plates (Savage Saturday, they call it), and my slightly altered swing means I've lost some distance, so I hit the wrong club a few times. But my chipping was poor, and putting its usual horrible self.

But as readers of a certain equipment thread will know, i've now bought a new putter, so my enthusiam is high for next Saturday's game.

Virgal_Tracy
14th March 2005, 08:30 AM
I'm happy to say that I can continue the positive stories of matchplay results. Played in my very first competition singles matchplay yesterday in the round of 16. Always looked like being a fairly close game with myself off 22 and my opponent off 20.

Came out of the blocks well and was 2 up after 3 but with some good play by him and a couple of missed shots ended up square after 9.

Back 9 started horribly and lost the first 3 holes. Came back to win the next 2 and then promptly lost another leaving me 2 down with 3 to play.

16th hole we both find the right rough but with him having a clear shot and me having to play under overhanging branches. Lie ordinary so took the hybrid out and punched towards the green. Missed right and end up in a bunker, he lands 4ft off short and left. He chips to within 1ft and I leave my bunker shot 15ft short.

This putt to keep me in the game. Like Jono's opponent, he was thinking he had it won (said so on the 18th green). Slight left to right break and, much as Jono said, I just let it happen. Into the heart of the hole and game on 2 down with 2 to go.

17th. My tee shot left into trees but A grade bounce sent it further twoards the hole with a clear shot. Him right into tree line and had to punch out. He duffed his third and fourth found the green. My 2nd pitches pin high but rolls to about 25. Downhill putt 3 foot past. He 2 putts and I sink mine. 1 down, 1 to go.

18th. My tee shot 1 ft into right rough but ball sitting up. His adjoining fairway but line of sight to green. He has to wait for guys coming up the fairway he is on and then slices his approachand leaves himself 40m to green. Tree in way and has to punch under to just short of bunkers. My approach 5 m short of green on up slope. He chips on as do I to 20ft. He 2 putts and I drain mine. All square.

1st extra hole 120m par 3. I play same club as first time but wind has picked up and I land short. He goes left into trees. He goes to punch out his 2nd but hits tree again and comes back. 3rd lands short of green. 4th hits fat and rolls through the green to the fringe. I duff my approach to land on fringe so putt on to within 4ft. His putt falls short and I sink mine to go 1-0 in matchplay.

Long post I know but as with FG and Jono I'm really happy that I was able to pull out the shots when needed. Bring on the quarter finals

markTHEblake
14th March 2005, 09:43 AM
. If I could discount the 1st, 2nd, 9th and 18th today, I would have a very tidy score.

Haha. told you 2nd was a demon hole.

Continuing the matchplay theme, We had 2nd round of Pennants yesterday. We got rolled by our arch-enemies (and favourite drinking buddies) Surfers Paradise 4/3. All 4 matches lost were on the 18th hole 1 down, so even though our backs were to the wall all day it was really close at the end.

After 2 rounds only one club has won both games, so we are in good position not to be relegated, which is our primary goal for the year.

We had a new member join the club who played off scratch, so naturally the perennial #7 had to carry the drinks. The reserves always play a match so i was up against a 15yo kid who is about 4ft tall, yet apparently plays off 3.

The buggar never stood a chance against this wise old campaigner - I lifted me foot off his head a couple of times and finished winning 2/1. God help me if i play him again in a year or two. Two years ago i beat another 15yo from this club, and that guy now plays off plus two and is their #1 player. I dunno what it is about Surfers Paradise, i think they plant babies and grow golfers - half of their squad wears nappies.

amanda
14th March 2005, 09:54 AM
Congrats to all the winners :)

No golf for me on the weekend - Saturday we bought a Topfield (digital desktop box for the TV - better than a DVD recorder - has a 120GB hard drive - 60 hours of recording) and spent the rest of the day learning how to tape 2 different channels at once 8)

Then spent Sunday at Brad's work keeping him company - and doing a bit of shopping & watching the St Pats parade - I love a pipe band!

AndyP
14th March 2005, 10:01 AM
. If I could discount the 1st, 2nd, 9th and 18th today, I would have a very tidy score.
Haha. told you 2nd was a demon hole.

Yeah, thanks.
1. Used driver off the tee, (couldn't see that the water was that close, and thought it was dry down the bottom of the hill. Regardless, I drove it towards the left traps, and it kicked towards the OOB fence. Played provisional straight down the guts, and still somehow managed to avoid the water.
2. Ball was just inside the OOB fence, about 140m out. To play the shot I had my arse resting against the barb wire (which gave me a thrill, but wasn't a help when playing a golf shot). 6 iron shank into water on right.
3. Drop into thick rough.
4. 9 iron pulled left of green, appeared to go close to OOB.
5. Drop provisional in thick rough.
6. 9 iron short.
7. Could not believe that the 1st ball rolled OOB thru the rough, but we could not find it anywhere. Chipped lob wedge on.
8. Putt.
9. Putt drops. Thanks for coming.

Bruce
14th March 2005, 03:46 PM
Scores at the end of Day 2 of the GF.

Seabrook 122 - Bruce 2/28
West Newport 187 - Bruce 6 (Johnny 85 8) )
Seabrook 2/25

We are well set up after the first 2 days. Just need to finish it off next week.

Fishman Dan
14th March 2005, 03:53 PM
Scores at the end of Day 2 of the GF.

Seabrook 122 - Bruce 2/28
West Newport 187 - Bruce 6 (Johnny 85 8) )
Seabrook 2/25

We are well set up after the first 2 days. Just need to finish it off next week.

You mean it's taken 2 days for 300 runs? This game would make the NZ innings look like tip'n'run.

BrisVegas
18th March 2005, 10:10 AM
Played Barnbougle Dunes 4 times over Sat & Sun.

1. 79 off the Copper tees.
12 fairways
11 GIR
34 putts

2. 80 off the Copper tees.
10 fairways
10 GIR
36 putts

3. 79 off the Black tees (tips).
11 fairways
9 GIR
34 putts

4. 65 off the Copper tees playing as a 3-ball ambrose with Brooky17 and my uncle-in-law who plays off 15.

Really happy with how I drove the ball. Struggled with the 8-PW and missed a few greens from easy distances. Huge, undulating greens that were fairly slick made the putting stats easier to live with. Didn't track my U&D or sand saves, but I did pretty well out of the few green side bunkers I was in. Especially happy with my sand save on the 7th in the 4th round. That trap is at least 15 feet deep and the green above it looks like an inverted salad bowl. Not much bigger either. The hole is only 100m long and plays downhill, but into a 30 kmh wind with bunkers and swails all around, it's an awesome hole. Proud to say I hit it in the first 3 rounds for par-par-birdie.. 8)

McMw
18th March 2005, 05:30 PM
really bad scores in Perth...not once did I break 80...and this was despite starting very well for the front nine in 3 of the 5 games played...

think I had a 90, 86 (85), 25pts, 80 and another 86...

the 90...well...I hit the ball crap (I blame it on the using my revo irons for the first time in 13 mths)...but I did putt great for all 5 games...sank more mid-range putts in those 5 games than I ever did all of last year at home (or felt like it)...

oh well...back to the home course for now...hoping my new putting technique/stroke holds up...I'm excited!!! :D

Trung
19th March 2005, 11:38 AM
1 down with Par Event today even though I had 78 :x . Had a bird with a shot on that hole, counted as a "+" only :twisted: .

Jarro
19th March 2005, 12:46 PM
34 points today at Royal Nudgee 8)