PDA

View Full Version : Footjoy sizes

3oneday
28th January 2010, 10:18 AM
I have never been game enough to buy shoes from the USA as I have always thought there were size differences that weren't properly explained.

I have a set of dryjoys and the gel thingo has come loose. They are looking cruddy anyway, so I thought it time to buy some more.

The tag stuck inside says 9.5 W, so can I safely assume this is the USA size and not the UK one ? I purchased these in Australia.

Captain Nemo
28th January 2010, 10:31 AM
Pete,
I always buy mine thru TGW or the like, 3-4 pairs at a time with other guys.
We all buy Footjoys and just order the same size every time.
mine are 9.5 W and never had a problem.
I'd presume most of the Dryjoy styles use the same footbed profile.
Or try the style you want on here to make sure!
Our last order we got aus $200+ shoes for less than us $100 shipped each.
Admittidley they where last seasons styles but who cares!

IanO
28th January 2010, 11:07 AM
Can I be included next time you are going to do an order for Footjoy shoes?

BrisVegas
28th January 2010, 11:09 AM
I reckon Footjoy sizing is pretty "normal". I take a 10.5 in Aussie sizes and 11.5 in Footjoy. Just make sure you get the "W" fitting.

DracZ
28th January 2010, 12:04 PM
Footjoy shoes come in a variety of widths...

C = Narrow
D = Medium / Normal
E = Wide
EE = Extra Wide

In most parts of Asia + Australia they use the M / W / XW width rating, whereas in the US they use C/D/E/EE rating. I had a pair of old 10.5 US XW Gelfusions, replaced it with a pair of 10.5 US EE Classics and they fit perfectly.

So if you get a 9.5 E, should fit exactly the same.

Captain Nemo
28th January 2010, 12:05 PM

Sorry wont be for a while!
We just did one for 4 pairs at the end of last year.:oops:

IanO
28th January 2010, 12:14 PM
No problem .. any time in the future ... I can always use another couple of pairs of shoes :D

CobraSS
28th January 2010, 03:01 PM
I have never been game enough to buy shoes from the USA as I have always thought there were size differences that weren't properly explained.

I have a set of dryjoys and the gel thingo has come loose. They are looking cruddy anyway, so I thought it time to buy some more.

The tag stuck inside says 9.5 W, so can I safely assume this is the USA size and not the UK one ? I purchased these in Australia.

If you bought them here the sizing will be UK sizing. There is a Footjoy US to UK size conversion chart online somewhere, google it.

CobraSS
28th January 2010, 03:03 PM
found it http://www.footjoy.co.uk/customerservice/size_charts.asp

Chris32
28th January 2010, 03:36 PM
You sure, all the Footjoys I have bought here have been 13, which is US sizing as I am a 12 AU

3oneday
28th January 2010, 03:42 PM
If you bought them here the sizing will be UK sizing. There is a Footjoy US to UK size conversion chart online somewhere, google it.

that was what I wasn't sure of, what I was actually wearing USA or UK, thanks 8)

moree golfer
28th January 2010, 03:47 PM
How about once the new FJ Sport models are released (in February) we look to do a group buy?

New FJ Sport (http://www.footjoy.com.au/catalog/productview.asp?c=317) they are A$215 rrp here and US$135 for US retailers. A quick calc including US$40 shipping would make an AUD/USD exchange rate of above 82 cents worthwhile buying from the States.

IanO
28th January 2010, 04:13 PM
i'll be in that :lol:

zigwah
28th January 2010, 08:15 PM
just go to drummonds and get your size then tell them you dont like any of the colours simple

Captain Nemo
28th January 2010, 08:24 PM
Thats what i was implying!

Daggs
28th January 2010, 08:49 PM
Been thinkin of getin some footjoys with PODS but dont know what theyd be like on the hard ground out here any body trid them on hard country ground.

3oneday
28th January 2010, 08:53 PM
just go to drummonds and get your size then tell them you dont like any of the colours simple

Gee, why didn't I think of that :roll: So should I also ask then if this is UK or USA ? or will that give it away ?

:p

henno
28th January 2010, 09:14 PM
Call me a dick, but I can't bring myself to do that to a retailer. That being fain interest in a product knowing full well you plan to by it elsewhere.

Daves
28th January 2010, 09:18 PM
None of my FJs (bought here) say whether the fitting size is UK or US. My size is 13W. However I have some Brooks runners that are 13 UK, 14 US that would suggest the FJs sold here are UK fittings. Boz would know for sure I reckon.

WBennett
28th January 2010, 10:16 PM
Call me a dick, but I can't bring myself to do that to a retailer. That being fain interest in a product knowing full well you plan to by it elsewhere.

Henno?

What the?

Anyway, i do it all the time. I get measured up, then tell them what I can get them delivered for elsewhere. I offer them the opportunity to give me a better price than they have on the item.

Its been near enough matched twice and rejected outright three times. Worth the haggle.

DracZ
28th January 2010, 10:25 PM
Henno?

What the?

Anyway, i do it all the time. I get measured up, then tell them what I can get them delivered for elsewhere. I offer them the opportunity to give me a better price than they have on the item.

Its been near enough matched twice and rejected outright three times. Worth the haggle.

I think he meant "feign"...but I have to agree with henno - reason we're able to get such good deals online is because of their lack of overheads. Essentially when your getting your shoes fitted and someone to tend to your purchase - all that service is integrated into the price of the shoe you walk out with.

I'm not saying I feel obligated to purchase everything they let me try on, quite the opposite. However I can't say I've walked into a store with the intention of not making a purchase, but instead just using their available stock and expertise to find a perfect fit and purchase the exact same size / model etc for cheap elsewhere. Seems a bit unethical imho.

WBennett
28th January 2010, 10:31 PM
So is browsing the same shop looking at irons ridiculously priced at $1800 which I can get on ebay from the states delivered for $500 unethical?

Hux
28th January 2010, 10:41 PM
Easy way of course is look at a pair of runners and say wow I take a size US9.W that is the same as my ****ing Footjoys or pretty damn ****ing close.
However...
Just looked at the box of my local supplied Dryjoys. Box says 14 Medium. They are US14M/UK13. Dave must have a wider hoof than me as I find the Dryjoys quite a wide fitting in comparison to some types of shoes I have bought in the past.

Local supplied Footjoys may not all be coming from the same supply chain or even if they are not all models may be coming with the same size identifiers.

DracZ
28th January 2010, 10:50 PM
So is browsing the same shop looking at irons ridiculously priced at $1800 which I can get on ebay from the states delivered for $500 unethical?

Golf ranges have demo days with the sole purpose of letting random people have a hit with their clubs. Bit different with shoes. Also, how exactly do your draw a parallel with someone handing you a club to hit - at the most having to tape it, with someone sitting by your feet handing you box after box of different shoes whilst you try them on?

I think the equivalent for that with clubs, would be having a full set of irons fitted for you, lie-board, different shaft / head combos, launch monitor -by a certified fitter, then taking the exact specs and having your clubs made elsewhere.

Easy way of course is look at a pair of runners and say wow I take a size US9.W that is the same as my ****ing Footjoys or pretty damn ****ing close.
However...
Just looked at the box of my local supplied Dryjoys. Box says 14 Medium. They are US14M/UK13. Dave must have a wider hoof than me as I find the Dryjoys quite a wide fitting in comparison to some types of shoes I have bought in the past.

Local supplied Footjoys may not all be coming from the same supply chain or even if they are not all models may be coming with the same size identifiers.

Shoes are not all made equal...bit like clothes. The cut, or "last" in this case can vary even from different models within the FJ range. Size and Width rating can only give you an approximate fit at best. You really do have to try it on and walk around to see if it really fits. Also taking into account the type of socks you usually wear out on the course, and the fact that your feet expand up to half a size after a couple of hours walking.

zigwah
28th January 2010, 10:52 PM
i'm all for keeping my money locally, but when it comes to hundreds of dollars in the case on irons or 150 for shoes, that is better in my pocket, i don't see the retailers looking after me when the dollar treats them good. I'm a family man and need to buy other things as well, they can have my money locally for booster seats and car seats and what ever xtra stuff we need for the new bub.

zigwah
28th January 2010, 10:56 PM
I think the equivalent for that with clubs, would be having a full set of irons fitted for you, lie-board, different shaft / head combos, launch monitor -by a certified fitter, then taking the exact specs and having your clubs made elsewhere.

i don't think anyone is suggesting doing that, but i would get my clubs bought overseas adjusted for lofts and lies with my local clubfitter as well as ferrules and other stuff

Hux
28th January 2010, 10:57 PM
Shoes are not all made equal...bit like clothes. The cut, or "last" in this case can vary even from different models within the FJ range. Size and Width rating can only give you an approximate fit at best. You really do have to try it on and walk around to see if it really fits. Also taking into account the type of socks you usually wear out on the course, and the fact that your feet expand up to half a size after a couple of hours walking.

However 3OD was asking whether his shoes are US or UK sizing so he can order a set from the USA....so the precise custom fitting is probably not that big an issue.
I would say that I have 4 different pairs of golf shoes (some may call me Imelda) all are US14, two are W (Etonic and FJ) two are M (Nike & FJ). All are comfortable, 2 fit my inserts better than the others of which one pair are the wide FJ the other the Nike SP8 Tours. So although for 100% satisfaction its best to try them on....my potluck experiments have worked each time.

3oneday
28th January 2010, 11:16 PM
Yep, still none the wiser but hopefully I can see a box at golf on Fridy that will get me on track ;)

markTHEblake
28th January 2010, 11:16 PM
Call me a dick, but I can't bring myself to do that to a retailer.
I'll join the Dick club

Going into the shop and poking and prodding the odd product but getting the sales man to bring out a cartload of shoes until you find the perfect fit if no intention to buy is totally classless.

I got some Footjoys for $150 in special, that wasnt much more than US, and i got the fit now. from now on I can shop online, knowing the size, heres trusting that a FJ 9.5W is always the same though.

DracZ
28th January 2010, 11:36 PM
I'll join the Dick club

Going into the shop and poking and prodding the odd product but getting the sales man to bring out a cartload of shoes until you find the perfect fit if no intention to buy is totally classless.

I got some Footjoys for $150 in special, that wasnt much more than US, and i got the fit now. from now on I can shop online, knowing the size, heres trusting that a FJ 9.5W is always the same though.

Exactly the same thing I did 5 years back. Been buying FJ's in the same size since - perfect fit each time.

Johnny Canuck
28th January 2010, 11:58 PM

Really? Trying on a pair of shoes or two is the equivalent to all that you have said?

I would think it would be the same as hitting a driver into a simulator or net and then buying it elsewhere.

It takes two minutes to try on shoes and you'll probably be served by a 16 year old part timer, not a certified shoe fitter.

Fitting is a service that there is generally a cost associated with, so you can't say it is the same as trying on a pair or two.

DracZ
29th January 2010, 12:06 AM
Really? Trying on a pair of shoes or two is the equivalent to all that you have said?

I would think it would be the same as hitting a driver into a simulator or net and then buying it elsewhere.

It takes two minutes to try on shoes and you'll probably be served by a 16 year old part timer, not a certified shoe fitter.

Fitting is a service that there is generally a cost associated with, so you can't say it is the same as trying on a pair or two.

Unless you have a pretty damn good idea of what it is your after - I really doubt you'd be trying on "a pair or two". FJ alone has a buttload of different models with different features / price points / widths. Most stores carry at least 3 different brands - usually more. Take all those into consideration when dealing with a less-than-informed customer and you could be there for awhile.

If some guy walked into a store and had a hit with a couple of my drivers into a net on my launch monitor, and left without buying anything I really wouldn't care too much. Same guy walks in and I spend half an hour walking back and forth to the back of the store getting different shoes for the guy, measuring his feet etc. and he doesn't buy anything? I don't think you'd be too pleased either.

Yossarian
29th January 2010, 12:08 AM
It is called retail. They'll get over it, they are still getting paid. It is just the fatcats margin that you are hurting and their markups cover all that.

DracZ
29th January 2010, 12:13 AM
It is called retail. They'll get over it, they are still getting paid. It is just the fatcats margin that you are hurting and their markups cover all that.

People don't get paid commission over here or something?

Yossarian
29th January 2010, 12:21 AM
No idea. It is still retail. What I do know is most of the time when I walk into a golf shop it is empty. And by empty I mean I am the only one in it. So the dudes have nothing better to do anyway.

If it were busy then it might be a bit of a **** act. But I don't know too many people who would do that.

Yossarian
29th January 2010, 12:25 AM
Adding to that I think most people buying shoes off the net already know what model it is, because it is on special so they are not going to take up that much time.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2krn1i.jpg

DracZ
29th January 2010, 12:42 AM
Adding to that I think most people buying shoes off the net already know what model it is, because it is on special so they are not going to take up that much time.

Yep fair call, but then again if it really wasn't such a big deal I'm sure everyone on here doing it wouldn't mind telling the salesperson that they have no intention of actually purchasing the item prior to requesting his/her assistance. Cause you know, it isn't a big deal and they really wouldn't mind messing around with your loving feet.

I don't really care what everyone else does in those circumstances, but like the wiseman once said... "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Captain Nemo
29th January 2010, 08:21 AM
I'll join the Dick club

Thats what i was saying, a 9.5w here is a 9.5w from the US, no difference!

3oneday
29th January 2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks titleist, checked the boxes at my Pro Shop this morning, only one size stated on the box. So, I tried a 9.5 W on, fitted nice, a little narrow. Can't think what model but about $165 and more comfy than what I was wearing.

Anyway, ordered an XW and left :)

Yossarian
19th October 2011, 08:47 PM
Does anyone have any experience in how footjoy sizes compare across models? A 10XW in the contours would be the same as dryjoys?

Webster
19th October 2011, 09:11 PM
Yes. Near enough anyway.

Yossarian
19th October 2011, 09:11 PM
Cheers!