PDA

View Full Version : iPad

Fishman Dan
28th January 2010, 07:17 AM
Announced, Apple has released the iPad. Interesting product, and considering our business has a heavy reliance on tablet PC's, there could be a practical application for our business. Other than that, I'm not sure what the market is demanding.

One thing is for sure - 10 pages on Whirlpool in 2 hours is interesting :lol:

Also the iPad Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad) is pretty comprehensive already.

Plenty of speculation, this has become another viral release from Apple. I'm not sure if they do much themselves to fuel the market, but people seem to get whipped into a frenzy pretty easily with new Apple releases.

Fishman Dan
28th January 2010, 07:22 AM
Plenty of info here... (http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/live-from-the-apple-tablet-latest-creation-event/)

3G models mid-year, and it probably won't be out here until then either. I'd say we won't get the non-3G model (purely a guess).

goughy
28th January 2010, 07:47 AM
I wonder if courty's pants are feeling uncomfortably tight this morning!

Looks interesting enough. If the market wasn't calling for it, it will be from today, even if it didn't know it.

henno
28th January 2010, 08:08 AM
News just in: Apple releases touchscreen tablet computer.

http://imgur.com/7wD7kl.jpg

goughy
28th January 2010, 08:34 AM
And only 7.8 pounds!!

Fishman Dan
28th January 2010, 08:43 AM
I wonder if courty's pants are feeling uncomfortably tight this morning!

Looks interesting enough. If the market wasn't calling for it, it will be from today, even if it didn't know it.

The full view of webpages will be very interesting, but it doesn't appear to be ultra-portable, so it needs to be fairly specifically targeted. It's certainly not a mass consumer device like the iPhone, and being larger it's likely to be more prone to breakage. Some of the spazzies around this office have gone through several iPhones already.

markTHEblake
28th January 2010, 09:10 AM
I had a look around quickly;

what operating system does it run?
is there an ethernet adaptor that will work with it?

i have several of those, wanna buy one?

just
28th January 2010, 10:06 AM
http://yaflamingalah.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/yawn.jpg

AndyP
28th January 2010, 10:10 AM
Self-portrait?

just
28th January 2010, 10:12 AM
It does bear similarities.

kpac
28th January 2010, 10:17 AM
it's not for me, but it is possible that there's a big market out there for it. TBH 90% of people would be using computers for little more than, internet/email/photos, for those it's suitable. The "netbook" market is obviously there, but poorly 'tapped' at this point, so maybe it's those people..... i think it'd be perfectly suitable for my olds, who hate computers but could surely figure this one out.......

henno
28th January 2010, 10:19 AM
Even the Gizmodo apple fanboys are underwhelmed (http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad).

To be fair, there's a few things on that list that I couldn't care less are missing (HDMI, et al) but the lack of multi-tasking is a huge mistake. The lack of flash will also hurt them, in my view. I predict both of those to be fixed in iPad v1.01.

Eldrick
28th January 2010, 10:41 AM
someone likes sniffing their own farts

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/01/apple-creation-0071-rm-eng.jpg

Fishman Dan
28th January 2010, 11:30 AM
Even the Gizmodo apple fanboys are underwhelmed (http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad).

To be fair, there's a few things on that list that I couldn't care less are missing (HDMI, et al) but the lack of multi-tasking is a huge mistake. The lack of flash will also hurt them, in my view. I predict both of those to be fixed in iPad v1.01.

Not sure about mistake, but definitely room for improvement.

Very impressed about it being 1.5 pounds (.7 kg's).

Blake - it's thinner than an RJ-45... do you think they would have an ethernet port? Wake up old timer, it's a WiFi world. Admittedly Australia is slower on the uptake of (free) WiFi hotspots than the rest of the world which will make it a slow starter, though we're unlikely to get a non-3G version locally.

The lack of HDMI is possibly calculated as well - I'm sure Apple would prefer punters use iTunes as a means of moving video files on there, either through the iTunes store (purchase) or file conversion (as is possible for the iPhone).

BrisVegas
28th January 2010, 11:48 AM
looks alright. I can see it would be simple/intuitive for kids to use. We were thinking about an iMac for the home, but an iPad would probably do everything we wanted anyway.

henno
28th January 2010, 11:51 AM
Not sure about mistake, but definitely room for improvement.... The lack of HDMI is possibly calculated as well.

I should clarify that I mean "mistake" as in an error of judgement. I don't believe it was a mistake in the sense that they launched the product and simply forgot to add the feature. I think that much like HDMI it was a calculated decision, albeit a poor one.

So I think we actually agree.

Fishman Dan
28th January 2010, 01:24 PM
I should clarify that I mean "mistake" as in an error of judgement. I don't believe it was a mistake in the sense that they launched the product and simply forgot to add the feature. I think that much like HDMI it was a calculated decision, albeit a poor one.

So I think we actually agree.

I took your interpretation as that, so yes - we agree :D

I think a whacking great cable like HDMI would be difficult - you've got this long, heavy connector plugged into an ultra light, ultra slim device. They would have to make an adapter, like the VGA/DVI to mini-display connectors for the MacBook/Pro.

But even then, being tethered to anything for a period of time goes against the tablet philosophy.

virge666
28th January 2010, 04:22 PM
My only question is about Battery Life... My iPhone 3GS' battery last 45 mins tops.

Does this have replaceable batteries ?

Does it have storage ? no SD Card slot at all.

I think I will wait for an Android iPad.

Courty
28th January 2010, 04:37 PM
I may be seen as a bit of an Apple fanboy, but (besides being shiny & new) I can't see any need for me to own one of these.

A Taylormade Supertri TP, on the other hand... ;)

Iain
28th January 2010, 04:41 PM
My only question is about Battery Life... My iPhone 3GS' battery last 45 mins tops.

What are you doing on your phone to make it only last 45mins? I'm on the net a fair bit on 3g and I'll get all day just about on mine...

Iain
28th January 2010, 04:43 PM
I may be seen as a bit of an Apple fanboy, but (besides being shiny & new) I can't see any need for me to own one of these.

Just because you don't one doesn't mean you won't buy one... ;)

Iain
28th January 2010, 04:58 PM
Example

A Taylormade Supertri TP, on the other hand... ;)

henno
28th January 2010, 05:02 PM
That's funny.

Tomo
28th January 2010, 05:05 PM

Does this have replaceable batteries ?

Does it have storage ? no SD Card slot at all.

I think I will wait for an Android iPad.

Go to www.priceangels.com.

They have 240V and 12V chargers for a couple of dollars, screen protectors and cases for bugger all.

They also do free shipping.

henno
28th January 2010, 05:09 PM
...the exhausted CEO said as he glued nine separate iPhones to the back of a plastic cafeteria tray. "Okay, yeah, this will work. This will definitely work.

- source (theonion.com/content/news_briefs/frantic_steve_jobs_stays_up).

KristianJ
28th January 2010, 06:30 PM
If it was OSX based, it might appeal to me, but all it seems to amount to is an iPhone/iPod Touch that got zapped by the machine in Honey, I Blew Up the Kid. Must say though that the screen is good - 1024 x 768 IPS. I've used Thinkpads with the IPS Flexview screens and the viewing quality is stunning.

Fishman Dan
28th January 2010, 07:34 PM
What are you doing on your phone to make it only last 45mins? I'm on the net a fair bit on 3g and I'll get all day just about on mine...

Yeah same here. I get plenty of battery life from mine - plenty of phone use during the day, and 2 x 45 minute bus rides of e-mail, Vodcasts or games.

markTHEblake
28th January 2010, 08:15 PM
Blake - it's thinner than an RJ-45... do you think they would have an ethernet port?
I didnt ask if it had an ethernet port, so No, I dont think that.

I asked if it had an adaptor that would work. Like the one used in the Macbook Air, that connects to USB.

Wake up old timer, it's a WiFi world.

not for the purpose i was thinking, but thats irrelevent anyhow. As its not OS X nor multitasking its not an option.

AlexMc
28th January 2010, 08:38 PM
i have several of those, wanna buy one?
I'd love a Newton!

markTHEblake
28th January 2010, 08:42 PM
If you are serrious, i was serious.

henno
28th January 2010, 08:43 PM

I thought you were taking the piss. I'd seriously like one.

AlexMc
28th January 2010, 08:46 PM
To be honest...it's more really-big-iPhone than tablet computer and it will ultimately suffer for it. No flash makes it hopeless for day-to-day computer use. I just can't see it having the processing power to make it a non-frustrating everyday computer experience.

AlexMc
28th January 2010, 08:48 PM
I'm dead serious - awesome old school gadget! Does it have speech recognition like Nelson's on the Simpson's?

markTHEblake
28th January 2010, 08:51 PM
How would i know, they are lying around the building gathering dust. When you are in a place with a massive amount of spare space that has beeing occupied for 25 years or more, there is old crap everywhere.

I'll see what i can dig up tomorrow. If they are really that intersting to some it wouldnt surprise me if a certain someone that got sacked recently knocked some off.

AlexMc
28th January 2010, 08:52 PM
If you are serious...I'd love one!

Fishman Dan
28th January 2010, 08:53 PM
To be honest...it's more really-big-iPhone than tablet computer and it will ultimately suffer for it. No flash makes it hopeless for day-to-day computer use. I just can't see it having the processing power to make it a non-frustrating everyday computer experience.

The emerging technology is eBooks, hence the Kindle. Where this will benefit is in years to come when broadsheet tabloids adopt it, and possibly opens the door to subscriber services.

Hence the lack of widescreen. This is more about simple technologies, and going 16:9 would have added to the price tag. As with the iPhone 3G, this is all about getting units into the market.

henno
28th January 2010, 09:06 PM
going 16:9 would have added to the price tag

What, a few dollars? Apart from the 15% extra pixels a 1280x720 screen would not cost much more to manufacture than a 1024x768.

I think Apple and TaylorMade are from the same school of marketing. Generate the hype, release a restricted product, then release Product v2.0 in 12 months which has all of the features they intentionally left out of the first one. The truly sad thing is that it works.... over and over and over again and there's no-one to blame but we the consumer.

Courty
28th January 2010, 09:09 PM
I think Apple and TaylorMade are from the same school of marketing. Generate the hype, release a restricted product, then release Product v2.0 in 12 months which has all of the features they intentionally left out of the first one. The truly sad thing is that it works. Over and over and over again and there's no-one to blame but we the consumer.

:-k 8-[ :-#

gazgolf1
28th January 2010, 09:14 PM
I think my wife's got an ipad on tonight, the mood she's in.

goonie
29th January 2010, 12:25 AM
it's already been renamed - http://i.gizmodo.com/5458412/itampon-is-the-2-trending-topic-on-twitter

mike
29th January 2010, 12:44 AM
The news items are pushing the eBook side of this.

I'd rather turn pages.

DracZ
29th January 2010, 12:54 AM
What, a few dollars? Apart from the 15% extra pixels a 1280x720 screen would not cost much more to manufacture than a 1024x768.

I think Apple and TaylorMade are from the same school of marketing. Generate the hype, release a restricted product, then release Product v2.0 in 12 months which has all of the features they intentionally left out of the first one. The truly sad thing is that it works.... over and over and over again and there's no-one to blame but we the consumer.

You should watch Steve Job's keynote. I'm sure there was a use of a thesaurus thrown in there somewhere with the sheer amount of adjectives he had to use in order to exalt its "features". =D>

idgolfguy
29th January 2010, 01:51 AM

I've still got the model previous to this one. It still works.

idgolfguy
29th January 2010, 01:53 AM
Makes using OZgolf while on the toilet a lot more user friendly.

Fishman Dan
29th January 2010, 07:06 AM
I've still got the model previous to this one. It still works.

Being Apple, don't you mean "It just works"? ;)

I've got an iPaq and a Palm around somewhere... they died long ago!

Fishman Dan
29th January 2010, 07:08 AM
The news items are pushing the eBook side of this.

I'd rather turn pages.

But you do... after all, real books are multi-touch as well. You can't dog-ear a tablet though.

goughy
29th January 2010, 07:51 AM
I've got two Palms here, a black and white 7xii and a Tx both working fine. Used to eread all the time on my Tx and Rob does it all the time on her Touch. I think pushing the eBook aspect of it is the smartest thing to push.

The next generation iPad - the Max iPad?

virge666
29th January 2010, 09:10 AM

I pretty much live on my phone.

In all seriousness, with Bluetooth, WiFi and various work stuff, I am on the charger before lunchtime. Lately, the Jawbone bluetooth headset lasts longer than the phone battery. And it took me 5 bluetooth headsets to find one that actually works with the bloody iPhone.

My Nokia phones would always last a day and a half. MUCH smaller screen though and they had replacable batteries.

Why is replacable batteries such an issue for Apple ???

henno
29th January 2010, 09:20 AM
Why is replacable batteries such an issue for Apple ???

The same reason why refrigerators and dishwashers no longer last 30 years. They want it to (eventually) break so you buy a new one.

virge666
29th January 2010, 09:31 AM
One last whinge, I like Apple products, I support Apple products, even though 10.6 was and is a load of shite.

Apple is never about open source, it is alway about keeping you in the "Apple family". All of it's products restrict you from using anything else. Whether it be Flash, non approved applications, Network Area Storage devices like QNap, or anything that is not Apple. They have done this for years... even from the Apple IIc. And they get their arse kicked for it.

Apple have the one of the most marketable brands out there... Not even Sony got 4 minutes on prime time news for a new product release, Apple does. They have idiots that line up to buy things at midnight so they can go home and tell their apple mates about getting it 7 minutes before anyone else...

But let me bring this into perspective, Apple have approx 6-8% marketshare of the PC market, without the iPod and later the iPhone, there would be no Apple. They would have gone the way of Red Hat. The App Store and iTunes is their main source of income and without it - they die.

Enter Google, what happens when they get their act together and release an iPhone that talks to everything, has SD cards and replacable batteries. What happens when Nokia or Motorola picks up the Android arcitecture and builds an even better phone? What if google bring cloud computing to the Android phone and link it to the company enterprise properly.

Apple are left with a music player and a platform that really cannot be expanded. Just like in the mid 80's, they are stuck with a great product but no-one to use it.

Apple products are not better than a PC, they are exactly the same as a PC, they do all the same things as a PC exactly the same way. But PC's talk to everyone and everything and they do it for almost half the price. That is why they have most of the market share and is why a company like DELL can buy and sell Apple to tomorrow morning for chump change - but why would they ?

Apple make beautiful products, they have fantastic interfaces and lead the market in many ways - they just never allow their products to grow.

Fishman Dan
29th January 2010, 09:31 AM
If it matters that much, piss off the Bluetooth. It's for wankers anyway! ;)

Wow! What a rant! I trust Apple far more than I trust Google. The T&C's for Chrome showed what Google's philosophy is really about. I would hate to conduct a data session or phone call using a Google device knowing they have that in their past.

henno
29th January 2010, 09:38 AM
This will certainly interest you, virge:

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/blog/apple-ipad-drm-petition

virge666
29th January 2010, 09:38 AM
If it matters that much, piss off the Bluetooth. It's for wankers anyway! ;)

Wow! What a rant! I trust Apple far more than I trust Google. The T&C's for Chrome showed what Google's philosophy is really about. I would hate to conduct a data session or phone call using a Google device knowing they have that in their past.

I agree, Bluetooth is for wankers - but it is just so good !

It isn't a matter of trust, instea of google, pretend it is Sony, Motorola, Blackberry or Nokia. The point is that Apple just don't support a world that isn't 100% Apple.

Everybody else does...

virge666
29th January 2010, 09:44 AM

Hmmm . . . I am all for copyright, an author has a right to protect it's product. DRM is a fantasic way of doing this.

I am more about interoperability, I want my iPad to talk to the office via VPN, I want it to run a USB 3G modem, I want it to play files other than MP4, and I want it at least get my photo's on the bloody thing without copying over WiFi.

Fishman Dan
29th January 2010, 10:01 AM

You are clearly OzGolf's #1 disestablishmentarianist!

Keep up the good work!

henno
29th January 2010, 10:06 AM
You are clearly OzGolf's #1 disestablishmentarianist!

You are clearly OzGolf's #1 antidisestablishmentarianist! ;)

oncewasagolfer
29th January 2010, 10:19 AM

I have one of those lying around somewhere. Think I only bought it because of the apple cool factor and never really used it hehe.

kpac
29th January 2010, 10:30 AM
Apple products are not better than a PC, they are exactly the same as a PC, they do all the same things as a PC exactly the same way.

I'm sorry, but i can smell a bit of bullish|t......
When did you last 'defrag' your imac?
There are a whole host of issues where they do thing DIFFERENT. And yes i'll say it BETTER.
If they are the same, buy the pc! Apple wont miss you. I've taken an office from PC to mac - our on-site tech got the ass because of it (i'm guilty, but he was no longer needed.... tech issues no longer require his 'expertise') And everyone in the office, have purchased mac's for themselves (at home). And they ALL say they they would not go back to PC.

So Virge, rant as you wish - but if they do, "do things exactly the same" as you say, why do hardened PC users in this office, opt to "do things" the "mac way".

But PC's talk to everyone and everything and they do it for almost half the price.

You mean they do it poorly!
That makes me cringe just to think of this "magic platform" that speaks to 'everything/everyone'. Don't buy a mac if you want to spend all your time mapping/allowing/setup etc etc.

That is why they have most of the market share

Incorrect. They have the market share because of businesses ONLY. Computer techs set-up offices with PC, this is where the market share falls in favour of PC. Because people use it at work, they commonly use it at home. If the offices were setup with macs then people would have mac at home. That's all

Apple make beautiful products, they have fantastic interfaces and lead the market in many ways - they just never allow their products to grow.

And that is what the 'general consumer' wants. A product that works, looks great, and doesn't need to grow/adapt/advance/change.

oncewasagolfer
29th January 2010, 10:30 AM
Go to www.priceangels.com (http://www.priceangels.com).

They have 240V and 12V chargers for a couple of dollars, screen protectors and cases for bugger all.

They also do free shipping.

that site looks so much like dealextreme its not funny

virge666
29th January 2010, 02:36 PM
And that is what the 'general consumer' wants. A product that works, looks great, and doesn't need to grow/adapt/advance/change.

No mate they don't. They buy PC's because they do the job and they are half the price.

For a normal person, there is no difference between booting up a Mac or a PC, loading your email/pictures/documents/Interweb and either reading or printing. You type on the bit at the front, it appears on the screen - then you can print it out over there...

The end result is the same - the hardware is the same, Mac's have a 1980's unix core, Windows has a 1980's windows kernal.

Just like XBox360 vs Playstation, Ford vs Holden and any other cult.

No one cares . . . except for a couple of people who know what Defrag means...

That being said - I still like my Macbook more than my Dell laptop.

kpac
29th January 2010, 02:50 PM
For a normal person, there is no difference between booting up a Mac or a PC, loading your email/pictures/documents/Interweb and either reading or printing. You type on the bit at the front, it appears on the screen - then you can print it out over there...

Incorrect again - you've successfully argued against your own point. You say that Mac cost twice as much, if that is so and there is "no difference" then the "normal person" wouldn't buy the mac, yet they do. They justify the cost because, THEY DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY. I absolutely agree the the "end result" is the same, but how they get there is different. Booting up a mac is nothing like booting up a pc (thank f*(k!)

The end result is the same - the hardware is the same, Mac's have a 1980's unix core, Windows has a 1980's windows kernal.

Correct, but the "way is works" is different.

Just like, Ford vs Holden and any other cult.

Bullsh|t again, it's like bmw vs holden (in australia)

bmw cost more - like a mac
bmw has less of the market share - like mac
bmw is a desirable item - like mac

Holden has a greater market share - like pc
they're cheaper - like pc

Guess what - the end result is the same, how you get there is vastly different!

No one cares . . . except for a couple of people who know what Defrag means...

And for those that dont, their PC runs a slow as a wet weak after no time!

That being said - I still like my Macbook more than my Dell laptop.
[/QUOTE]
How is this possible? i thought they were "exactly the same"

Yossarian
29th January 2010, 02:52 PM
Steve Jobs? Is that you?

adlo
29th January 2010, 02:58 PM
Ha!

Completely agree with kPac on this one though.

However, like Zigwah equipment threads, the Mac vs. PC internet debate will rage on for the ages. I can't be stuffed.

kpac
29th January 2010, 03:03 PM
back to the iPad. This is destined for a massive flop i recon. Doesn't really take over the netbook market, and offers VERY little more than an ipod/phone..... i just don't know who is going to be buying it??? i've been wrong before....

I thought they should have turned the MacAir into the touch screen tablet, now then you'd have real computer ability with touch screen, i can see that as a little bit more "fulfilling".

virge666
29th January 2010, 03:05 PM
How is this possible? i thought they were "exactly the same"

Cause it is pretty and 80's minimalist, I like that.

KPac, I care as much about Apple as Apple cares about me. Put the ceremonious dagger down and don't spill any more of your own blood

Repeat after me - it is JUST a computer, it is JUST a computer . . . that still doesn't connect to anything on an Enterprise level.

But ain't it pretty and easy to use ! just like an IPad.

I thought they should have turned the MacAir into the touch screen tablet, now then you'd have real computer ability with touch screen, i can see that as a little bit more "fulfilling".

Bloody great idea.

zigwah
29th January 2010, 03:13 PM
kids should love it as in 5 to 10 year olds

virge666
29th January 2010, 03:14 PM
kids should love it as in 5 to 10 year olds

So it is a Nintedo DS for adults . . .

I like it !

zigwah
29th January 2010, 03:16 PM
i can see it as a next step from the fisher price pc and it will come down in price

rodders
29th January 2010, 03:16 PM
Always a PC man until my wife had a mac through work.

While I constantly had "issues" she never missed a beat.

In Oct 07 I purchased pc's for the office on advice of experts - big mistake! Nothing but troubles - constantly! God I'd love to know how much I spent in support.

12 months ago got myself a macbook for home - never, I repeat never, had an issue.

Cannot wait until current contract ends in Oct this year - Macs all round for work!

kpac
29th January 2010, 03:24 PM
Virge
I don't care for apple either mate - i use to (i admit)

I was a warrior back with my gen1 ipod and fugly g3 and clamshell. But apple isn't that anymore. It's very mainstream, very 'sharing'. I personally prefered it when it wasn't. But once they started to break into the market with the G4's and Intel chips, and then the more and more popular ipod, then this bloody iphone, they lost my fight. I still use their product, but they're so mainstream that they fight their own battle these days.

Especially in my demographic, of my friends well over 1/2 use solely apple computers, well over 50% have iphone and (not or) ipods and they all 'prefer' apple. Apple is the RULE in my demographic, not the exception...... and i don't like that (i liked it when i was the odd one out)

I have no ceremonious dagger pal - i'm not fighting for apple, i'm pointing out that you were full of sh|te!

I got a new phone 3 days ago..... spent near 3 months deciding if i wanted to go iphone or otherwise, borrowed and used an iphone for a fortnight, and went and got a nokia. And love it.
Because my office is now full of mac addicts (again my fault) they ALL have iphones, and they said "nokia's no where near as good as the iphone". To which i replied with;
"i wanted a phone, that just did what phones did, i've got enough computers everywhere, bedroom, lounge, study, work, and travelling laptop. I just need a phone with 3 features - calls, messages, emails. Thats it. I do not need 1 other thing!"
their response was,
"but there are so many great apps that you can use on you iphone."

F*(k me, i'm afraid the people that i've battled to convert are turning into those that i'd i cant bear..

adlo
29th January 2010, 03:27 PM
their response was,
"but there are so many great apps that you can use on you iphone."

I will punch the next person that says this to me in the face.

Eldrick
29th January 2010, 04:25 PM
I will punch the next person that says this to me in the face.

there is a app for that :)

http://macmagazine.uol.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/03-facefighter.png

Fishman Dan
29th January 2010, 04:33 PM
Can we talk about the iPad again now?

henno
29th January 2010, 04:50 PM
Can we talk about the iPad again now?

Sure.

Which version is for my heavy flow?

kpac
29th January 2010, 04:56 PM
can we have a consensus of whether anyone thinks apple have release a worse product since in the last decade?

henno
29th January 2010, 05:09 PM
Hardware? Probably not. They've released some pretty useless software during that time however, that has absolutely tanked.

Courty
29th January 2010, 06:54 PM
Cool. A Mac vs. PC stoush that I didn't start. Finally, my work here is done. 8)

henno
29th January 2010, 08:56 PM
Google has responded by releasing their own "tablet".

http://i.imgur.com/PtGZT.jpg

henno
29th January 2010, 09:04 PM
http://imgur.com/wkLUX.png

PeteyD
29th January 2010, 09:42 PM
http://boakes.org/pics/2005/ipad/ipad_tiger_400.jpg

henno
29th January 2010, 09:44 PM
Ha!

LarryLong
29th January 2010, 09:52 PM
bmw cost more - like a mac
bmw has less of the market share - like mac
bmw is a desirable item - like mac

Everybody else thinks BMW drivers are wankers.......

:mrgreen:

virge666
29th January 2010, 09:55 PM
Virge
I have no ceremonious dagger pal - i'm not fighting for apple, i'm pointing out that you were full of sh|te!

Funny - 90% of the computing world seems to back me up. Which means for every person you can tell me how good a Mac is, I can give you 9 people that just don't care.

And no - I don't think a market exists for the iPad. Not yet anyway and not a market that is not already filled by a netbook or notebook. Especially in it's current form.

I think it is just a big iPod Touch.

Everybody else thinks BMW drivers are wankers.......

And BMW's are just German Commodores.

kpac
30th January 2010, 01:02 AM
"..."

henno
30th January 2010, 07:46 PM
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1928558

Fishman Dan
30th January 2010, 08:01 PM
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1928558

I'm all for good parodies, but a bunch of geeks with a video camera and editing software regurgitating the same jokes.... isn't funny.

Come on Henno... lift your game.

I think it is just a big iPod Touch.

True except this isn't primarily a music device. The Touch for mine is the silly product, considering for a few bucks more you get the a phone.

TheTrueReview
30th January 2010, 08:02 PM
...or every person you can tell me how good a Mac is, I can give you 9 people that just don't care.

I'd like to post something in support of a mac but I think the PC I'm writing this on will crash or freeze before i get the chance. :lol:

Fishman Dan
30th January 2010, 08:13 PM
The other thing for Virge's statement is that there are Mac evangelists, and there are PC evangelists. Both sides of the fence have a number of people who don't care what you think is best, and there's also a large (growing) number who use both (and still don't care what the evangelists have to say).

AndyP
30th January 2010, 08:19 PM
True except this isn't primarily a music device. The Touch for mine is the silly product, considering for a few bucks more you get the a phone.I will probably be buying a Touch as soon as my Nano 2G dies or I flog it off to someone else.
I think the iPhone costs a lot more thatn the Touch when you factor in the cost of the phone plan you have to be on.

henno
30th January 2010, 08:23 PM
I'm all for good parodies, but a bunch of geeks with a video camera and editing software regurgitating the same jokes.... isn't funny.

You obviously aren't familiar with College Humor. Come on Fishy, lift your game.

Courty
31st January 2010, 06:40 PM
Steve Jobs on why Flash is not supported.

Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.

henno
31st January 2010, 06:44 PM
While I agree, and dislike the closed (and buggy) nature of flash, HTML5 is years away from mass-adoption. The iPad will be a $100 question on Jeopardy by then.

virge666
3rd February 2010, 01:30 PM
The iPad is dead - awesome.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/google-tablet-to-give-apple-a-touch-of-its-own-medicine-20100203-nc8u.html?autostart=1

henno
3rd February 2010, 01:33 PM

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/google-tablet-to-give-apple-a-touch-of-its-own-medicine-20100203-nc8u.html?autostart=1

http://dev.chromium.org/chromium-os/user-experience/form-factors/tablet

AndyP
3rd February 2010, 01:54 PM

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/google-tablet-to-give-apple-a-touch-of-its-own-medicine-20100203-nc8u.html?autostart=1Yep. It should be out in the next couple of weeks. It doesn't take long to go from a concept to production, does it? :roll:

LarryLong
3rd February 2010, 02:07 PM
Here I was thinking using vapourware to reduce sales of a competitor's product was just a Microsoft thing?

Google are getting decidedly cheeky these days.

virge666
3rd February 2010, 02:18 PM
Here I was thinking using vapourware to reduce sales of a competitor's product was just a Microsoft thing?

Google are getting decidedly cheeky these days.

yeah - but how cool is the whole fallout and bitter arguments going to be.

I am grabbing some popcorn and finding the comfy seat.

adlo
3rd February 2010, 02:21 PM
Apple fan boys and recent iPhone convert kool aid drinkers won't look sideways at Google products.

Apple have much more effective "branding".

FWIW, I think all tablets are a bad idea.

LarryLong
3rd February 2010, 02:29 PM
FWIW, I think all tablets are a bad idea.

Agreed.

If you want something with a screen of that size, a netbook of some sort has got to be a better choice. And they're much cheaper, and likely to stay that way for a while yet.

I'm sure the next lot of netbooks will incorporate some of the touchy stuff and will therefore be the best of both worlds.

Eldrick
3rd February 2010, 02:37 PM
yeah - but how cool is the whole fallout and bitter arguments going to be.

I am grabbing some popcorn and finding the comfy seat.

it has already happened, they fell out over a gentleman's agreement with the multi-touch features for google android software

its on like donkey kong!

henno
16th April 2010, 08:15 AM
One genius has figured out a way to get around the fact that you can't print anything from an iPad:

http://imgur.com/crHQZl.jpg (http://imgur.com/crHQZ.jpg)

Courty
22nd April 2010, 08:49 PM
I had a play with one of these today.

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/8291/22042010.jpg

It's definitely pretty cool, but as I said previously, I can't see any need for me to justify buying one.

markTHEblake
22nd April 2010, 09:03 PM
The one thing I am curious about, if anyone knows. Can/Could you remote desktop into an iPad?

Whatever i try in searching for this, all i can find is discussion about screen sharing clients on the iPad to connect to other Macs, I am looking at the opposite.

Courty
22nd April 2010, 09:05 PM
The one thing I am curious about, if anyone knows. Can/Could you remote desktop into an iPad?

Whatever i try in searching for this, all i can find is discussion about screen sharing clients on the iPad to connect to other Macs, I am looking at the opposite.

The iPad can run LogMeIn, but I don't know if that's a 2-way thing.

henno
22nd April 2010, 09:09 PM
How dare you want to use hardware you purchased for a task of your choosing, Blakey! You should know better.

markTHEblake
22nd April 2010, 09:25 PM
too right Henno, and can i SSH into it?

markTHEblake
7th June 2010, 10:32 PM
I like the idea of the iPed http://iped-tablet.com/iped-en.html
and has a USB and ethernet port.

The only concern might be confiscation by customs, it wouldnt surprise me if apple tried. Can someone buy one first and let me know how it goes?

LarryLong
7th June 2010, 10:43 PM
I've got a mate who is pretty gung ho about getting an iPed tablet. I'll let you know if he goes through with it.

If I was interested in buying a tablet I'd definately buy one, just for the sake of being different.

MegaWatty
8th June 2010, 12:22 AM
I f'n love my iPad! Say what you want, but it's awesome.

virge666
8th June 2010, 09:26 AM
I f'n love my iPad! Say what you want, but it's awesome.

I have one too - Ummm . . . what do you do with it besides email and games ?

I am sort of lost as to how to use it ?

MegaWatty
8th June 2010, 09:33 AM
It's pretty much replaced my laptop.

Email is a big thing with my job so to have a small portable unit with about 12-15 hours battery is a good thing. The video will also keep me entertained on the way to the US.

There is going to be a large influx in apps over the next 6 months. News apps will lead the way similar to The Australian app.

iWork apps work nicely.

And browsing Ozgolf on the lounge is soooo easy. ;)

Did you get the camera connector?

virge666
8th June 2010, 11:12 AM
I am _sort_ of with you, but I cant get photo's into the thing, it can't connect to my network - so i cannot get files, I can't print which is friggin stupid and I can't create new files and SAVE them anywhere and everything has to be run through iTunes... so I need a normal PC anyway.

I will be going back to my Latitude e4300 - this thing is just a gimmick. it is like a Nintendo DS for adults.

It is quicker than my iPhone though . . . so I guess that is a plus... and my daughter likes to watch TV and Cat in the Hat on it.

I am really struggling to see what the hype is about... in all seriousness, the thing is a f*cking waste of money.

dan
8th June 2010, 12:51 PM
in all seriousness, the thing is a f*cking waste of money.
How much time did you spend investigating what it can or cannot do before you handed over your hard earned?

Fishman Dan
8th June 2010, 08:14 PM
I've tooled around with them - the interface is fantastic.

Dibs on Virge's machine. I am a bees dick away from getting one myself, although there's about a 2 week waiting list.

With the newborn coming in a couple of weeks it might be good for the wife to use during those all night feeding sessions. Load it full of movies and TV shows - bigger than the iPhone (and easier to manipulate), smaller than the TV.

I wouldn't really need the 3G connectivity - the only practical uses I would have would be around the home (or homes of friends).

Yossarian
8th June 2010, 08:17 PM
I don't know how I even lived before steve jobs came along!

Fishman Dan
8th June 2010, 08:20 PM
I don't know how I even lived before steve jobs came along!

See... that's the thing. You didn't.

virge666
8th June 2010, 11:36 PM
How much time did you spend investigating what it can or cannot do before you handed over your hard earned?

SFA - it is my industry - so I just bought one from JB HiFi to see what all the fuss was about... I have moved it to one of my lawyer clients so she can read notes in court of it.

I've tooled around with them - the interface is fantastic.

I have a small $800 13" laptop that can do all this and more... it can even play movies off the network, the web browser supports flash, I can put an SD card from the camera in it. It doesn't require iTunes for everything and has much better games and programs...

As for the interface - yeah, it's great, but it's funtionality is so limited. It does nothing a cheap laptop can't do and it doesn't really do anything well other than EMail.

So far all we have is - good with email, I can watch TV on it and the interface is cool. If only there was a machine that could do all that and print, and talk to a network and maybe even be able to conenct to a camera...

If only . . .

A bit off Topic - iPhone 4 info released today, check out apple.com/iphone for more info. the new iOS4 will work on all 3G phones and iPod touch.

MegaWatty
9th June 2010, 12:05 AM
Cheap lappy can't watch movies for 10 hrs without charge. Usually can't do much for more than a couple of hours.

Yossarian
9th June 2010, 12:39 AM
Who watches movies for ten hours straight?

adlo
9th June 2010, 12:39 AM
MegaWatty

Yossarian
9th June 2010, 12:50 AM
That is a lot of porn, you'd need some serious iTissues to clean that up.

MegaWatty
9th June 2010, 01:20 AM
On the plane.

I actually don't watch that many movies, but it demonstrates how long the thing lasts. The average lappy struggles to get through one movie.

LarryLong
9th June 2010, 07:52 AM
Mac fans don't need porn. :)

Iain
9th June 2010, 09:55 AM
So far all we have is - good with email, I can watch TV on it and the interface is cool. If only there was a machine that could do all that and print, and talk to a network and maybe even be able to conenct to a camera...

Printing is coming, probably when iOS 4 for the iPad is released. It can connect to a camera with the connection kit.

kpac
9th June 2010, 10:00 AM
yeah im a mac lover, but the ipad is nothing but a fancy placemat for me. sorry. I know people it is suited for, but it isn't me.

And i've never come around to the iphone, however no. 4 is getting my attention!...... hmm

dan
9th June 2010, 10:03 AM
And i've never come around to the iphone, however no. 4 is getting my attention!...... hmm
It would get my attention too if they could bring the price down.

henno
9th June 2010, 10:12 AM
You're not their target market, kpac. You can't just cherry pick their great products (Macbook Pro et al) and ignore the rest; that's not the Apple way. You have to scream like a pre-teen schoolgirl and buy every product that they trawl out as the "Next big thing" regardless of whether it's useful or even any good.

Steve Jobs would be so disappointed in you.

virge666
9th June 2010, 10:31 AM
Real life battery tests for iPad - pretty impressive to say the least.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/04/ipad-test-notes-battery-life/

Laptops that can run all day too... also clever.

http://jkontherun.com/2009/10/09/dell-latitude-on-review/

No probs with 10 hours of FLASH porn there Yoss... lots of iTissues needed. Oh hang on the iPad can't use clipHunter.com... AWwwwww.

kpac
9th June 2010, 10:38 AM
lol spot on.
My mac'ination is;
Mac book pro
imac
Ipod

the rest are well marketed devices that do not add anything to my life.

And my Ipod is http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353#dockconnector

I haven't seen any improvements since this model that float my boat..... (battery is a bit of an issue ;) )

just
9th June 2010, 11:10 AM
And my Ipod is http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353#dockconnector

I haven't seen any improvements since this model that float my boat..... (battery is a bit of an issue ;) )

You've got a Harry Potter Special Edition! Nice pickup Ron...

PeteyD
9th June 2010, 12:24 PM
Anyone done some dev for iPhone etc? We are looking at converting to it, which means I need apple H/W so might be looking to borrow / beg / steal from some fanboys.

Yossarian
9th June 2010, 12:32 PM
On the plane.

I actually don't watch that many movies, but it demonstrates how long the thing lasts. The average lappy struggles to get through one movie.

So if it was a business trip and you needed to knock up some documents you could do it on this?

Or is it only good for long haul flights and breastfeeding women?

MegaWatty
9th June 2010, 01:31 PM
Yup. Pages = $12. Numbers = $12. Keynote = $12.

Word processor, Spreadsheets, Presos.

Anyway. It's good for me. Would rather debate Mizuno vs Callaway.

Courty
9th June 2010, 07:04 PM
I feel the same about the iPad as kpac. I've spent some time messing about with one, but it's just not for me. Even if I was given one for free, I think I'd struggle to find a niche for it in my lifestyle.

I'm superkeen, however, to upgrade to the iPhone 4G. More, faster, better. 8)

I also bought a 2GB iPod Shuffle yesterday, too. The battery in my old Nano finally packed it in and I just needed something portable for doing yardwork etc.

AndyP
9th June 2010, 07:35 PM
The iPhone isn't portable enough? Don't you have pockets?

Zeusgolf
9th June 2010, 08:16 PM

Yossarian
9th June 2010, 08:17 PM
No pockets there!

virge666
10th June 2010, 12:03 PM
Anyone running iOS4 yet for iPhone ?

Iain
10th June 2010, 01:30 PM
I thought about installing it, as you don't need to be registered to install it like previous Beta's.

But it's only 2 weeks away, so I'll probably wait. Plus I don't want to mess with my only mobile.

Yossarian
10th June 2010, 03:11 PM
I've been thinking about it and it strikes me that the thing the ipad is best suited to is a mobile porn storage and viewing device.

just
10th June 2010, 03:30 PM
You have to be careful though Yoss, Comrade Supreme Leader Steve is not fond of 'risque' material. It poisons the minds of the younger comrades.

MegaWatty
10th June 2010, 03:43 PM
You have to be careful though Yoss, Comrade Supreme Leader Steve is not fond of 'risque' material. It poisons the minds of the younger comrades.
I'm sure there's many sites that are changing their 'videos' over to HTML5...

Courty
10th June 2010, 06:31 PM
I have the Golden Master installer, and a mate of mine has already installed it on his 3GS. I had a play with it today and it was sweet!
I'll be looking closer at it this weekend when I have a few hours spare.

sms316
10th June 2010, 06:39 PM
I've been thinking about it and it strikes me that the thing the ipad is best suited to is a mobile porn storage and viewing device.

:smt023

You really need to join "the list".

MegaWatty
21st September 2010, 08:34 AM
VLC Media Player came out for iPad today claiming it plays most codecs.

Another great app is Pressreader which allows you to download a full newspaper and read it as it is published, including ads. There's something like 174 Aussie publications for download at 99c USD ea.

Loving the iPad for my business travel escapades right now.

kev
21st September 2010, 09:51 AM
VLC Media Player came out for iPad today claiming it plays most codecs.

OPlayer HD will take anything you can throw at it. There's a limit to the video resolution at the moment, but I've never had a problem with it.

MegaWatty
21st September 2010, 10:02 AM
OPlayer HD will take anything you can throw at it. There's a limit to the video resolution at the moment, but I've never had a problem with it.

I had issues straight up with OPlayer.

Plus VLC is free.

live4golf
21st September 2010, 10:07 AM
CineXPlayer is free at the moment. Pretty good option.

MegaWatty
21st September 2010, 11:29 AM
CineXPlayer is free at the moment. Pretty good option.

God damn it! I paid 5 bucks for it two days ago!!!

live4golf
21st September 2010, 11:50 AM
God damn it! I paid 5 bucks for it two days ago!!!

Ohhh in that case it is not free anymore...I got it for free a week or so ago.

TheTrueReview
25th October 2010, 09:28 AM
Just pulled the trigger on an iPad yesterday (64g + 3g ). Bought it with a business use in mind. Unfortunately, one of the business apps I was looking at using has a more limited application than I initially thought (not the ipad's fault).

Just wondering who out there uses the ipad for business. What are some of the things you've found it does well / not well?

LarryLong
25th October 2010, 11:24 AM
Just pulled the trigger on an iPad yesterday (64g + 3g ). Bought it with a business use in mind. Unfortunately, one of the business apps I was looking at using has a more limited application than I initially thought (not the ipad's fault).

Just wondering who out there uses the ipad for business. What are some of the things you've found it does well / not well?

The managers at my work are currently trying to come up with a business related excuse that will make them feel good about getting iPads. I think the current candidate is that they will get a lot of value out of reviewing documents on them on days when they travel between offices and don't want to manage the enormous burden of the small form factor laptops that we bought for them last year.

live4golf
25th October 2010, 11:42 AM
The managers at my work are currently trying to come up with a business related excuse that will make them feel good about getting iPads. I think the current candidate is that they will get a lot of value out of reviewing documents on them on days when they travel between offices and don't want to manage the enormous burden of the small form factor laptops that we bought for them last year.

They can use corporate applications be using Citrix XenApp or even better run their own corporate desktops using Citrix XenDesktop...fantastic business case :) - of course, if you don't already have Citrix infrastructure it means you need some.

WBennett
25th October 2010, 11:42 AM
We've purchased a fleet of 12 for Minister and staff. They use them for Question time briefings, speeches, prepared notes for press conferences. The environmental benefits of not having to print realms of paper was used as the excuse!

We have only installed limited apps such as a document editting tool, and now the challenge is to ensure that they don't become popular so every halfwit exec wants one and finds a critical business need.

WBennett
25th October 2010, 11:43 AM
They can use corporate applications be using Citrix XenApp or even better run their own corporate desktops using Citrix XenDesktop...fantastic business case :) - of course, if you don't already have Citrix infrastructure it means you need some.

Oh yeah - we're trialling Citrix on the devices to maximise potential functionality that fits in with our security model... seems to work pretty well from the initial testing

virge666
25th October 2010, 03:20 PM

Well . . .
Email
Ninja Fruit
Flight Control
Angry Birds
Too big for Doodle Jump.

Not Well.
Any kind of MS Office work
Printing
Connecting to office/home networks
Browsing the web
Playing Flash Video
Typing
Taking Photos

PeteyD
25th October 2010, 03:51 PM
So it is a replacement for a Nintindo DS with email added in?

just
25th October 2010, 03:55 PM
So it is a replacement for a Nintindo DS with email added in?
Look behind you.
http://static.businessinsider.com/image/4c8f7caf7f8b9aa931f60000/steve-jobs-ninja.jpg

PeteyD
25th October 2010, 03:59 PM
Ack Ninja Jobs.

MegaWatty
25th October 2010, 05:08 PM
Well . . .

Not Well.
Any kind of MS Office work - Versions of iWork are great I reckon and are now Office compatible
Printing - iOS 4.2 which is due next month will allow printing
Connecting to office/home networks - To browse folders? True
Browsing the web - No probs on mine, except Flash, but a lot of sites are changing.
Playing Flash Video - See above
Typing - No probs here. If you can type on an iPhone, you can on an iPad. Plus you can also use the keyboard dock or a bluetooth keyboard.
Taking Photos - World's biggest camera!!! The iPhone 4 takes great pics. Front facing camera for FaceTime would be nice.

See above.

PeteyD
25th October 2010, 05:21 PM
Fan boy defending it with stuff that is coming!! haha. Apple vapourware.

MegaWatty
25th October 2010, 05:27 PM
Fan boy defending it with stuff that is coming!! haha. Apple vapourware.

I like mine. I mainly use it instead of a laptop when I'm away once or twice a month.

You know what they say about opinions though.

PeteyD
25th October 2010, 05:31 PM
I think they are a great idea, just not really implemented well in the first instance. And I like giving crap to apple fanboys :D

MegaWatty
25th October 2010, 05:32 PM
I figured that. Just thought I'd defend myself. ;)

henno
25th October 2010, 06:32 PM
I look forward to the iPad nano. I hear it's going to be able to make phone calls too!

MegaWatty
25th October 2010, 06:34 PM
I look forward to the iPad nano. I hear it's going to be able to make phone calls too!

Galaxy S Tab?

henno
25th October 2010, 06:35 PM
Galaxy S Tab?

Another stupid idea.

markTHEblake
25th October 2010, 11:26 PM
Portrait mode is the reason the iPad is the success it is, particularly for the suits that are completely inept with computers. They dont realise it but that is the primary usability improvement over a netbook. Try reading a PDF on a netbook and you will know what i mean.

The ipad itself is no great invention. Apple is just fortunate to be the first to give us an affordable and functional portrait device. Others have been doing it with tablets for years, but they were typically around $3k. I had one for work about 7 years ago, and it was great, since then i have always bough 4:3 monitors and put them on their side.

AlexMc
11th March 2011, 11:13 PM
Anybody taken a look at the US Golf Digest app? Bought this months mag on the iPad to take a look. Figured $4.95 beats paying $11.00 for last months edition at the newsagent.

It is brilliant. Worth it for the Masters special alone.

MAZA68
3rd May 2011, 06:25 PM
Got an I PAD For Sale!

Its Brand New and still in the box it arrived in, so can be Posted/Courier easily.

The Details:

16GB WiFi in Black. It supports both WiFi and Bluetooth. It comes with an Ipad dock connector to USB Cable and a 10W USB Power Adaptor.
Model: MC769X/A.

If your interested in purchasing just PM your offer for consideration. I'm told the retail value is $679.00.