PDA

View Full Version : Most forgiving irons that don't look like shovels

henno
27th January 2010, 04:30 PM
What are some of the most forgiving irons that have normal lofts, don't have huge soles and massive offset, and look nice acceptable at address?

Who cares if the cavity looks like a busted arse, just curious as to what the general consensus is? Bridgey G.C. Mids seemed to go alright, offset just about on the limit but look nice at address and have "normal" lofts. There also seems to be a bit of Cally X20/X22 Tour love floating around these parts.

In summary: What's the best chopper's club that doesn't look and/or feel like a complete shovel?

Lucasto23
27th January 2010, 04:32 PM
Cleveland CG7 Tours

Yossarian
27th January 2010, 04:33 PM
I still think the Srixon 506's that I have are a great fit for most chopper golfers.

The R9's seem ok too.

3oneday
27th January 2010, 04:34 PM
MX300 from accounts I have read.

Yossarian
27th January 2010, 04:35 PM
MX300 from accounts I have read.

They actually look ok, have only hit them in a net and the felt ok as well.

Russ
27th January 2010, 04:39 PM
Both sets I'd suggest have been recommended.

CG7 Black Pearls, and the R9's.

... that's as far as looks go. Havn't hit either of them though.

gazgolf1
27th January 2010, 04:39 PM
TM 09 Burners.

Dazza
27th January 2010, 04:40 PM
TM 09 Burners.

Agreed.
I'm tossing up between these and the R9's. :-k

BrisVegas
27th January 2010, 04:40 PM
Titleist AP1/AP2 combo set.

Webster
27th January 2010, 04:44 PM
whatever zig sells next.

henno
27th January 2010, 04:53 PM
Titleist AP1/AP2 combo set.

I have been thinking about some AP2s, but the AP1s just look so much bigger. The combo just doesn't seem to "fit" right. Surely the 3-5 irons in the AP2 can't be that hard to hit anyway.

Yossarian
27th January 2010, 04:54 PM
Get some pings.

Jarro
27th January 2010, 04:58 PM
Get some pings.

Yep, what the dude said

just
27th January 2010, 04:59 PM
Adams A4's or A7's, Ping i15's, Wilson Ci7's/Ci9's,

AndyP
27th January 2010, 05:00 PM
I have been thinking about some AP2s, but the AP1s just look so much bigger. The combo just doesn't seem to "fit" right. Surely the 3-5 irons in the AP2 can't be that hard to hit anyway.So this isn't a hypothetical thread?

henno
27th January 2010, 05:03 PM
So this isn't a hypothetical thread?

It's a hypothetical. I worded that incorrectly. I meant I have thought about AP2s, or something like that.

Anyway what are you doing in the Equip Me forum. Get your arse back to The 19th Hole where it belongs.

gazgolf1
27th January 2010, 05:03 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200431111108&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

jobs done. :)

henno
27th January 2010, 05:09 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200431111108&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

jobs done. :)

Heaps of offset, strong lofts, I can only assume they look ghastly at address.

EDIT: 85 gram shafts?!

Dazza
27th January 2010, 05:34 PM

I've got a Burner 09 6 Iron to try at home. I'll do a side by side comparo with the X Tours when I get home, to give you a bit of an idea on how they sit etc.

PeteyD
27th January 2010, 05:36 PM
They actually look surprisingly good at address. Some sneaky work with the colours on them etc.

Just get the cobra pro-cbs, you know want to.

Eag's
27th January 2010, 05:38 PM
Get yourself some Ping goodness mate you won't regret it ;)

henno
27th January 2010, 05:41 PM

I missed out on a bargain deal over at golfwrx last week. Cobra pro-cb/mb combo with a spare 7-iron CB (to swap in for the 7-iron MB) plus cobra S2 3 and 4 irons as well. 11 irons in total. $US285 they went for.

gazgolf1
27th January 2010, 05:43 PM

Actually they look quite good at address, sorta normal compared to the G10's I took out yesterday at Nudgee.
Check em out next time your at a store, better than me trying to splain it.
There is a youtube video going around with Faldo gushing about how far he is hitting them.
Here ya go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Q3TWEEiHM&feature=related

Address pic here

http://reviews.golfwrx.com/categories/5/products/1328

Chris32
27th January 2010, 05:49 PM
Titty 704 or 755's are plenty forgiving, cheap now as well

Yossarian
27th January 2010, 05:52 PM

There is a youtube video going around with Faldo gushing about how far he is hitting them.
Here ya go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Q3TWEEiHM&feature=related

:-k

virge666
27th January 2010, 05:55 PM
X 22 Tour. You can hit them almost anywhere on the face and you don't lose a tonne of distance.

I have a set of AP2's - and they look close to the same at address.

Ping i10s are also a good choice, but not in the same league in forgive-ness stakes.

Srixon's are too short in the length of the blade.

TM have not made a decent club since the TP2's all those years ago.

Also - keep in mind that the last 4 major winners have used iron designs that are over 2 years old now.

Enjoy.

Dotty
27th January 2010, 05:57 PM
Didn't we have this thread a fortnight ago, which ended in a purchase of Mizuno MP33s ? :twisted:

The original Cobra S9 helps keep this chopper's handicap around 11-12. I've never noticed the topline, as it is half black urethane and looks very thin. From what I can make out on the website, the new model may be similar, Cobra S2 (non-forged).

Don't forget to try the OEMs free demo days advertised in the back of the free newspapers, Pacific Golfer and/or Inside Social Golf.

markTHEblake
27th January 2010, 06:32 PM
How could you look past these?
They fit your criteria and also have high poser score
http://www.golfworks.com/images/200/ma0100.jpg

just
27th January 2010, 06:37 PM
Except they are ugly, Blakey. I'll also throw in Scratch EZ-1's to my list:

Adams A4's or A7's, Ping i15's, Wilson Ci7's/Ci9's,
Significantly more expensive though. If I could find a set for a reasonable price mmmmmmm!=P~

Eag's
27th January 2010, 06:38 PM
They don't look very forgiving Blake :-k

markTHEblake
27th January 2010, 06:45 PM
Except they are ugly, Blakey.

They are indistinguishable from muscle back blades, which usually makes Ozgolfers go delirious and weak at the knees, and can only utter "sweet"

Therefore would be perfect for Henno decked out in leather pants and skin tight pink shirt (in other words Villegas).

Looks can be deceiving, with a little research you might be quite surprised.

henno
27th January 2010, 06:47 PM

Exactly. I know they have a MPF rating that's in the GI category, but surely they can't be overly forgiving. There's forgiving "for blades" and then there's "forgiving".

Yossarian
27th January 2010, 06:48 PM
I don't trust anything made by Maltby, they are only in it for the profit.

DracZ
27th January 2010, 06:56 PM
I don't trust anything made by Maltby, they are only in it for the profit.

Agreed...I mean seriously - biased much? If Maltby weren't a club manufacturer themselves I'd take the MPF a *tad* more seriously, but right now it isn't even worth the PDF download.

EDIT : To answer the OP maybe try out a set of Miura MC-102's

Daves
27th January 2010, 06:58 PM
I do like the AP2's but have only hit the 6i, so can't confirm or otherwise how forgiving the longer irons are. The Maltbys have similar specs.

Hux
27th January 2010, 06:59 PM
Henno decked out in leather pants and skin tight pink shirt (in other words Villegas) usually makes Ozgolfers go delirious and weak at the knees, and can only utter "sweet"

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Noice words Mark

markTHEblake
27th January 2010, 07:06 PM
Exactly. I know they have a MPF rating that's in the GI category, but surely they can't be overly forgiving.

http://golfworks.com/images/art/MaltbyIrons.pdf

There is another article on the site somwhere that shows the cross section of the clubface, it actually has an undercut cavity inside the clubhead. So I guess you could call it a covered cavity back :-)

By the looks of the dimensions it is identical to my MPC which is an undercut cavity. The only exception is that it has a slightly higher CG of a couple of couple of mm from memory.

From that website, the Tricept F1/F2, MPC, MMB, and KE4 Tour fit all fit your criteria of minor gradual offset, and dont look like a front end loader (in fact all look the same) at address.

If you wanted constant offsets, then MTF (or TE is the new groove rule version is called) or MCC.

But for pure pose value you gotta do the Tricepts, they look like Mizuno blades and you will be everyones hero. Just dont tell anyone they are hollow!

Webster
27th January 2010, 07:09 PM
RAC LT's

Oldplayer
27th January 2010, 07:34 PM
Wilson Staff Pi7. Not much offset, very acceptable sole and topline thickness. 47* pw. Bigger head with pocket cavity in the 3,4 and 5 irons for added forgivness. Extremely forgiving for a club that sets up like a "players" iron.

Moe Norman
27th January 2010, 07:55 PM
X-14 tour series.

henno
27th January 2010, 07:57 PM
X-14 tour series.

I had some of those, actually. I could be wrong, but my memory tells me they had a fair amount of offset and a thick-ish topline from address?

Dazza
27th January 2010, 08:11 PM
From Left to Right.
Nike Sq Sumo 8 Iron (Didn't have a 6i), Burner 09 6 Iron , Callaway X Tour 6 Iron.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/bns_warrior_nt/27012010539.jpg
Excuse the poor quality, bloody camera phone.

henno
27th January 2010, 08:20 PM
Any from address? The sole doesn't look too bad, actually.

Dazza
27th January 2010, 08:24 PM
Any from address? The sole doesn't look too bad, actually.
It really isn't overly huge. The Faldo youtube video is worth watching!

Give me a second to recharge the digi camera batteries and I'll post some up.

gazgolf1
27th January 2010, 08:25 PM
I may be going down the shovel route but I don't mind the thick sole look, it means there's more weight down low to help my thin shots. I'm looking at G10's or Raptures, the Raptures have massive amounts of offset tho. Some Rapture J specs would be the ducks nuts.
The G10's felt really forgiving on the weekend, on 17 at Nudgee I had about 145 to the pin, hit 6 iron way out on the toe and still hit the middle of the green. With my Adams A4's I reckon I would have been in the front bunker.

3oneday
27th January 2010, 08:33 PM
What about the Adams Pro irons, the ones that came with Black Golds ? They were stupid easy to hit.

Dazza
27th January 2010, 08:39 PM
Left to right.
SQ Sumo 8 Iron. Burner 09 6 Iron. Callaway X Tour 6 Iron.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/bns_warrior_nt/DSC05519.jpg

Left to right-
Callaway X Tour. Burner 09. Sq Sumo.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/bns_warrior_nt/DSC05521.jpg

KristianJ
27th January 2010, 08:45 PM
Titty 704 or 755's are plenty forgiving, cheap now as well

Seconded on the 755s. Stainless steel forging, but still IMO a quite soft feel with enough forgiveness for a lot to mid teen handicapper.

Hamo84
27th January 2010, 09:21 PM
I would say the most forgiving non shovels would be the mizuno MX-200's

Yossarian
27th January 2010, 09:27 PM
Those cleve vas things??

haysey
27th January 2010, 09:40 PM
AP2's all the way. They really are very forgiving. Anything I play has to be:cry:

goonie
27th January 2010, 10:33 PM
X-22 tours - Forgiving and long, minimal offset.
R9 - not the best looking cavity, but have a bit of offset in the long irons but very little in the short irons, have KBS 90 shaft STD
R9 TP - Forgiving, KBS Tour shaft STD, and the least offset of any Players Cavity I've seen lately, less than any Titty 710's, cally X-22, Ping or Mizuno's, or anything else I've looked at lately.
Cobra S2 forged, bit of offset but nicer feel than any of the Titty's
Cobra Pro CB's

Fishman Dan
27th January 2010, 10:47 PM
Get some pings.

Ping I-series. Forgiving for a blade.

f00re
27th January 2010, 10:51 PM
you can't beat these for a combination of forgiveness and look at address
Tommy Armour 845c

Golfnut
27th January 2010, 11:07 PM
R9 or Tour Burners.

I switched from the Sumos to Tour Burners......just couldn't handle looking down at the Sumos anymore they were just too chunky. Love my Tour Burners, look more like a players iron than a hackers shovel and they're very very forgiving but still have a thin topline and a thinish sole (thinner than 09 Burners). Few of the better WAnkers have hit them and said they feel nice.

Good compromise between the TM TP irons and the 09 Burners IMO.

R9's would be my pick now though but way too expensive.

idgolfguy
27th January 2010, 11:20 PM
Ping Eye 2s!

Ned
27th January 2010, 11:29 PM
http://www.miuragolf.com/productimages/cb-202_05.jpg

http://www.miuragolf.com/productimages/cb-202_07.jpg

henno
27th January 2010, 11:35 PM
Yum.

bergsey
27th January 2010, 11:46 PM
Bridgestone J36 Pocket Cavities!

http://www.golfwrx.com/BagChatter/wp-content/uploads/cavity%20topline.jpg

http://www.golfwrx.com/BagChatter/wp-content/uploads/pocket%20cavity%20back.jpg

razaar
28th January 2010, 02:16 AM
henno
These were made especially with you in mind.
http://www.ping.com/clubs/ironsdetail.aspx?id=6968

henno
28th January 2010, 08:42 AM
Ray, the G15 are the ugliest set of irons since the G10. They don't look like shovels, they look like a freaking Front-End Loader bucket!

goonie
28th January 2010, 09:10 AM
Pings no need apply if you want minimal offset.

3oneday
28th January 2010, 10:15 AM
Even the i15 has greater offset than the i10, let alone the g15 !

Sydney Hacker
28th January 2010, 10:17 AM
I've got some wilson staff Pi5's sitting in the corner you can have cheap if you want to try them.

3oneday
28th January 2010, 10:19 AM
I've got some wilson staff Pi5's sitting in the corner you can have cheap if you want to try them.

how much will you send Henno to take them ?

;)

Sydney Hacker
28th January 2010, 10:23 AM
how much will you send Henno to take them ?

;)

They are great irons, too much shaft for this poofy swinging girl that's all....

ps. They had pocket cavity's long before the other try hard brands !

razaar
28th January 2010, 10:24 AM
I have often wondered why some golfers, particularly on this site have an aversion to offset in irons yet play with putters that have offset, in most cases more offset. Most golfers would reap the benefit of irons with offset purely because it assists in getting the hands ahead of the ball and helps to keep the face square for that vital 1-2" through impact - espectially for those who have a flat swing, flickers and those prone to release too early.
Woods are a diferent kettle of fish because they are designed to hit with the hands level with the ball and maybe a touch behind the ball with the driver.
:smt023 for offset in irons for 90% of golfers, for mine.

;)

henno
28th January 2010, 10:25 AM
I'm not really on the lookout for some more irons, just waxing lyrical about choppers clubs. Consider it market research. ;)

Sydney Hacker
28th January 2010, 10:26 AM
I'm not really on the lookout for some more irons, just waxing lyrical about choppers clubs. Consider it market research. ;)

Yes Zig :roll:

henno
28th January 2010, 10:27 AM
Ray, offset is fine. Just not oodles and oodles, and only because it looks funny to me. I don't buy the whole "offset makes you hook" thing.

razaar
28th January 2010, 10:30 AM
Ray, offset is fine. Just not oodles and oodles, and only because it looks funny to me. I don't buy the whole "offset makes you hook" thing.
Those who hook offset clubs usually line the toe up with the hosel and swing outside to in. Usually a pull or pull hook, Adam.

just
28th January 2010, 10:30 AM
I have often wondered why some golfers, particularly on this site have an aversion to offset in irons yet play with putters that have offset, in most cases more offset. Most golfers would reap the benefit of irons with offset purely because it assists in getting the hands ahead of the ball and helps to keep the face square for that vital 1-2" through impact - espectially for those who have a flat swing, flickers and those prone to release too early.
Woods are a diferent kettle of fish because they are designed to hit with the hands level with the ball and maybe a touch behind the ball with the driver.

;)
I agree with you Ray, but you are wasting your breath. Most online iron threads go something like this:
blah blah blah low offset blah blah blah thin topline blah blah blah thin soles blah blah blah mizuno miura bridgestone blah blah blah.

henno
28th January 2010, 10:32 AM
Right. So it's not the offset that does it, but rather the way it looks messing with the head of the person swinging them and causing them to setup with the face closed. If an offset club is square at impact, the ball still goes straight.

just
28th January 2010, 10:35 AM
Right. So it's not the offset that does it, but rather the way it looks messing with the head of the person swinging them and causing them to setup with the face closed. If an offset club is square at impact, the ball still goes straight.
Exactly, Nudgee hit a big fade with one of my G15 hybrids, which have heaps of offset, because he compensated by opening up the face because he thought they would hook. I myself did that quite a bit when I first got them, I am now learning to align the face properly.

TheTrueReview
28th January 2010, 11:03 AM
I agree with you Ray, but you are wasting your breath. Most online iron threads go something like this:
blah blah blah low offset blah blah blah thin topline blah blah blah thin soles blah blah blah mizuno miura bridgestone blah blah blah.

You forgot to say "blah blah blah blades".

IanO
28th January 2010, 11:03 AM
Surely the 3-5 irons in the AP2 can't be that hard to hit anyway.
I have a set of the AP2's and they are very easy to hit well, much better than my old Ping ISI Nickels

oz
28th January 2010, 11:24 AM
My Wilson Ci-7's are bloody awesome. Very forgiving, fairly traditional looking, and with great feel. I haven't hit the new Ci-9's - actually, I haven't even looked at other irons since I bought these Ci-7s about 18 mths ago (nor do I plan to). That is a major achievement for a ho like me.

adlo
28th January 2010, 12:06 PM
Cally FTs.

henno
28th January 2010, 12:09 PM
This thread has fast turned into "The irons I currently use are the best in the world".

benstone
28th January 2010, 12:11 PM
RAC LT's

Beat me to it. I have gone from TM 300's to the original LT's and you can barely tell the difference from address.

adlo
28th January 2010, 12:11 PM
Ha!

I looked for the most forgiving irons that were mid sized and not too chunky. And bought them.

Eag's
28th January 2010, 12:35 PM

I have heard that as well Adam, but I can hook any type of iron ;)

Those who hook offset clubs usually line the toe up with the hosel and swing outside to in. Usually a pull or pull hook, Adam.

Ray how can you line the toe up with the hosel? :-k

just
28th January 2010, 12:39 PM
Easy, you close the clubface slightly.

Eag's
28th January 2010, 12:42 PM
Right so Ray was referring to squaring the club face?
I thought he meant setting the club behind the ball out of the toe and or the hosel.

PeteyD
28th January 2010, 01:02 PM
line up the toe of an offset iron with the hosel is a closed face. So more than squaring the face.

Iain
28th January 2010, 01:58 PM
I have head that as well Adam, but I can hook any type of iron ;)

Me too Eagsy!!

This thread has fast turned into "The irons I currently use are the best in the world".

Indeed, ;)

Nike Vr split cavity.

davepuppies
28th January 2010, 02:03 PM
The AP2s look good at address, i have yet to hit them though.

I admit, i am a huge titleist fan, and probably a minority on this forum........

I will stick to my 695cbs for a while, and feel they are a good iron, but i would deem them more of a players cavity rather than chopper cavity.

the R9s look ok at address

goonie
28th January 2010, 02:27 PM

;)
I have tried many sets of irons, and yes many with the same shaft....., and with my swing I do struggle with irons with too much offset (unless I change my swing to a punch/hold off style shot with little follow thru), my normal shot is straight to a little draw, my bad shot goes left but further left with offset clubs, offset changes the weighting of the club to assist in closing the face at impact which is something I don't need.
And my putter has very little offset as well because I tend to miss left with it also and the reduced offset, and a weak putter grip, has helped a lot. I am bulding a TM Rossa Fontana mallet putter with a single bend shaft to take all the offset away.

Jarro
28th January 2010, 05:43 PM
They actually look surprisingly good at address. Some sneaky work with the colours on them etc.

How many sets do you have by the way ? :-k

sms316
28th January 2010, 05:45 PM
Just ask Dwayne what he can sort out for you.

PeteyD
28th January 2010, 06:02 PM
How many sets do you have by the way ? :-k

1. Hux has the masses. I have some TM Miura forged heads I want to sell though.

razaar
28th January 2010, 07:19 PM
I have heard that as well Adam, but I can hook any type of iron ;)

Ray how can you line the toe up with the hosel? :-k
Sorry mate almost missed this. Most golfers do this naturally if their irons don't have the bottom groove highlighted. The best way I've found to ensure your clubface is square in your grip, is to lift it so the shaft is parallel to the ground and then make the adjustment. The lines on the face are vertical when the face is square. After a while you will become acustom to what a square clubface looks like at address.

Eag's
28th January 2010, 07:42 PM
Cheers Ray.

markTHEblake
28th January 2010, 08:49 PM

So does every other thread that is similar.

I think you should ask Andyp to delete every suggestion that didnt fit your criteria, wouldnt be many left.

razaar
28th January 2010, 08:57 PM
I have tried many sets of irons, and yes many with the same shaft....., and with my swing I do struggle with irons with too much offset (unless I change my swing to a punch/hold off style shot with little follow thru), my normal shot is straight to a little draw, my bad shot goes left but further left with offset clubs, offset changes the weighting of the club to assist in closing the face at impact which is something I don't need.
And my putter has very little offset as well because I tend to miss left with it also and the reduced offset, and a weak putter grip, has helped a lot. I am bulding a TM Rossa Fontana mallet putter with a single bend shaft to take all the offset away.
That is interesting, first time I've heard that. I've always understood that the clubface pointed where your bottom hand was aiming ( with a proper grip); the only thing to cause it to close being hand/arm rotation, a strike of the heel of the club on the ground or a ball hit towards the heel. Are you saying that an offset head can close the clubface because it is offset?

TheNuclearOne
28th January 2010, 11:34 PM
Offset gives you a split second longer to close/square the face. A forgotten element is that it also promotes a higher ball flight.

goonie
29th January 2010, 12:50 AM
That is interesting, first time I've heard that. I've always understood that the clubface pointed where your bottom hand was aiming ( with a proper grip); the only thing to cause it to close being hand/arm rotation, a strike of the heel of the club on the ground or a ball hit towards the heel. Are you saying that an offset head can close the clubface because it is offset?

Yes Raz that is what I am saying, and it is not new either.
No offense Raz but I am starting to think maybe you should just stick with the swing advice, you don't seem to have your finger on the pulse when it comes to club design.

Michaeljames92
29th January 2010, 01:06 AM
I have been thinking about some AP2s, but the AP1s just look so much bigger. The combo just doesn't seem to "fit" right. Surely the 3-5 irons in the AP2 can't be that hard to hit anyway.

Don't miss on the toe especially 3,4,5 irons. I love my AP2's.

3oneday
29th January 2010, 02:25 AM
you don't seem to have your finger on the pulse when it comes to paragraph design.

;)

razaar
29th January 2010, 06:08 AM
Yes Raz that is what I am saying, and it is not new either.
No offense Raz but I am starting to think maybe you should just stick with the swing advice, you don't seem to have your finger on the pulse when it comes to club design.
No offence taken mate, my purpose in posting is to help others to improve their golf based on what I have tried and tested.

Everything I have read about offset heads suggests that it gives a fraction extra time to square the face up because the hosel is ahead of the clubface. An open clubface = slice spin. Is this what you mean or something else?

Another benefit of the modern offset iron is that the head extends a bit further out from the hosel than with traditional irons (at least my Callys & my wife's Pings do), which gives the perception of more clubface. When I first got my X-20s I was surprised to find that the clubface was actually smaller than the Mizzie MP30's. The cally face looks bigger because the design extends the face further from the hosel with offset. This wouldn't work (I'm guessing) without the offset because most golfers would find it difficult to square up the face and strikes towards the toe would open the face even more than with traditional clubs.

Chris32
21st September 2010, 09:21 AM
Digging up a old one here, did anyone try any clubs out that rated highly on the MPF scale?

Thinking of swapping the MP-32's for some S58's

MP-32's are rated at 412 and the S58's at 778

3oneday
21st September 2010, 09:48 AM
Get 52's.

Ferrins
21st September 2010, 09:49 AM
I will be alternating between these two iron sets

Brosnan Tour Classic blades from the 80's DG R200&300U 2-pw

Bridgestone GC Mid Nippon stiff 1050 2-pw

I just want to develop better rhythm, ball striking, course management and shot making.

Chris32
21st September 2010, 10:09 AM
Get 52's. They have a MPF rating of 392, which is less than the 32's

If I am going to try something, its going to be drastically different to see if there are any benefits ;)

simmsy
21st September 2010, 10:10 AM
try a set of Maltby's to see how they compare - most of his blades are rated 701+ and cheaper than S57/58

3oneday
21st September 2010, 10:11 AM
MPF ? Mother Pucking Foor ?

52's have the easiest 3 iron to hit that I've hit for ages. What does the Tour Preferred (08/09 model) rate ? The 52's have a slightly thicker topline and and much thicker sole than the 32's. The rating are flawed ! :lol:

Chris32
21st September 2010, 10:29 AM
I think the Tour Preferred are around 343

http://www.ralphmaltby.com/system/assets/369/2009_MPF_Update.pdf

You must hit everything inside of middle, all the irons you like have COG located towards the heel

3oneday
21st September 2010, 10:31 AM
try a set of Maltby's to see how they compare - most of his blades are rated 701+ and cheaper than S57/58

I think the Tour Preferred are around 343

http://www.ralphmaltby.com/system/assets/369/2009_MPF_Update.pdf

You must hit everything inside of middle, all the irons you like have COG located towards the heel

so it's a Malty gauge, and his clubs rate highest ? Sort of loses any integrity ? 52's are the closest to any MX model.

Chris32
21st September 2010, 10:44 AM
Nah his clubs rate well, but not the highest. Callaway's seem to be the highest overall rated clubs from any major manufacturer

3OD, you ever owned a set of i10's or S58's?

oncewasagolfer
21st September 2010, 11:18 AM
I wonder what the i15's would rate?

Chris32
21st September 2010, 11:21 AM
I wonder what the i15's would rate?

oncewasagolfer
21st September 2010, 11:24 AM

so would that come under game improvement?

didn't 30D sell a set of i10's on here the other week?

Chris32
21st September 2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah mate, game improvement

Interestingly, i10's rate at 560

Pieface
21st September 2010, 11:28 AM
Digging up a old one here, did anyone try any clubs out that rated highly on the MPF scale?

Thinking of swapping the MP-32's for some S58's

MP-32's are rated at 412 and the S58's at 778

I have a set of the Golfworks 7013C irons that have an MPF of about 810. A cack swing is a cack swing but they do seem very forgiving to shots out of the toe and for me at least hard to slice. I have had shots that have left an imprint of half a golf ball on the end of the toe and had the ball stay straight and take a good trajectory with only 10-15% distance loss. With my old irons (MPF unknown) it would have been a disaster shot short and hard right.

I think players with good repeatable swings don't see the merit in MPF because they have no problem hitting irons that rate low on his scale. Give someone like me an MP67 (MPF381) and I'll see the merit because I will struggle to hit consistently good shots with that type of design and my misses will be punishing.

oncewasagolfer
21st September 2010, 11:46 AM
funnily enough when I was using the mp33's I hit most of my shots out of the middle but with the i15's I seem to be a lot less consistent. putting it down to a break in period as I have only been using them for a few weeks.

Chris32
21st September 2010, 11:50 AM
My dad has a set of eye 2+'s which are rated at 724, they are forgiving. Interesting to see if the S58's are more forgiving than that

might try and find a 6 iron in a demo bin somewhere

3oneday
21st September 2010, 12:12 PM
Nah his clubs rate well, but not the highest. Callaway's seem to be the highest overall rated clubs from any major manufacturer

3OD, you ever owned a set of i10's or S58's?

Have owned i10's, played a round with some a few weeks ago. Too much offset for mine, and the i15's have more. Never played the 58's as I thought they would have shit resale :)

I gamed a set of i10's a for a long time, maybe 9 months, but my game has changed and I simply no likee anymore.

BrisVegas
21st September 2010, 12:20 PM
interesting....

710 AP2 - 548
710 CB - 517
710 MB - 321

Chris32
21st September 2010, 12:26 PM
Have owned i10's, played a round with some a few weeks ago. Too much offset for mine, and the i15's have more. Never played the 58's as I thought they would have shit resale :)

I gamed a set of i10's a for a long time, maybe 9 months, but my game has changed and I simply no likee anymore.

Fair enough, haven't seen the i15's up close yet. The i10's look ok, I have hit them at a demo day. Going by the clubs I have hit/owned and there MPF, I'd say that its pretty accurate. MTB has also mentioned the 'C' dimension on the data as the important factor in the actual forgiveness of the head

Daves
21st September 2010, 12:27 PM
interesting....

710 AP2 - 548
710 CB - 517
710 MB - 321

Yep, those ratings caught my interest as well. I am looking at a set of CBs at the moment:roll:;)

Chris32
21st September 2010, 12:28 PM
interesting....

710 AP2 - 548
710 CB - 517
710 MB - 321

Previous AP2 comes in at 551

My old 690.cb's where rated at 431, so even though they look similar to the 710's, it seems the 710's have the edge

BrisVegas
21st September 2010, 12:34 PM
Previous AP2 comes in at 551

My old 690.cb's where rated at 431, so even though they look similar to the 710's, it seems the 710's have the edge

Titleist '7' models were always a bit longer heel to toe than '6' models, so that would make sense if they've continued with that theme... I don't have a 695 etc to compare the 710s to though.

Chris32
21st September 2010, 12:43 PM
Titleist '7' models were always a bit longer heel to toe than '6' models, so that would make sense if they've continued with that theme... I don't have a 695 etc to compare the 710s to though.

695CB's rating is 638... 735CM's rating is 648. The 735's seem to have a bit of love on here, maybe this is the reason behind this

BrisVegas
21st September 2010, 12:50 PM
695CB's rating is 638... 735CM's rating is 648. The 735's seem to have a bit of love on here, maybe this is the reason behind this

wow, well there goes my theory! 735's are easy to hit, that's for sure. My 704's were too. I never tried the 695. The 'Zorro' look put me off.

haysey
21st September 2010, 01:50 PM
didn't 30D sell a set of i10's on here the other week?

Which Ho bought those I wonder:roll:

3oneday
21st September 2010, 02:10 PM
Which Ho bought those I wonder:roll:

What's happening with these anyway Mr Tim ?

Chris32
21st September 2010, 02:28 PM
Might be keen on some i10's

Ferrins
21st September 2010, 02:39 PM
What are some of the most forgiving irons that have normal lofts, don't have huge soles and massive offset, and look nice acceptable at address?

Who cares if the cavity looks like a busted arse, just curious as to what the general consensus is? Bridgey G.C. Mids seemed to go alright, offset just about on the limit but look nice at address and have "normal" lofts. There also seems to be a bit of Cally X20/X22 Tour love floating around these parts.

In summary: What's the best chopper's club that doesn't look and/or feel like a complete shovel?

Do you know the lofts for the Bridgestone GC mids?

razaar
21st September 2010, 02:41 PM
Has anybody mentioned the Wilson Prostaff MOI irons. Wilson have a history of staying in the golf equipment business where many others of their era are no longer around. So they must be doing something right. Wilson equipent I have /still own has been excellent quality.

Ferrins
21st September 2010, 02:43 PM
Got a Wilson Killer Whale, Driver, 3 and 5 wood, Ray. They would look sweet in your bag.

razaar
21st September 2010, 02:45 PM
Got a Wilson Killer Whale, Driver, 3 and 5 wood, Ray. They would look sweet in your bag.
with my Wilson blades and Wilson Staff putter.

Ferrins
21st September 2010, 02:59 PM
Perfect

haysey
21st September 2010, 03:21 PM
What's happening with these anyway Mr Tim ?

Still sitting in the office. Still waiting to be hit.

Dotty
21st September 2010, 05:44 PM
Do you know the lofts for the Bridgestone GC mids?
4-24
5-27
6-31
7-35
8-39
9-43
P-47

Those numbers were still sitting on my desk, after looking it up last month, when I bought Pinglauncher's set.

ps. Keeping the Cobra S9's for myself and these have gone to a mate's son, to replace his grandfather's Prosimmons. (Thank you Ozgolf, for cheap gear to help out those still at school.)

Ferrins
21st September 2010, 05:47 PM
Cheers for that.

any ideas on 2 & 3 iron lofts?

19* & 21* would be my guess

Dotty
21st September 2010, 06:06 PM
Cheers for that.

any ideas on 2 & 3 iron lofts?

19* & 21* would be my guess
18* and 21*

http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/product/clubs/archive/gc-midsize-irons

Ferrins
21st September 2010, 06:29 PM
Cheers for that

markTHEblake
21st September 2010, 06:50 PM
so it's a Malty gauge, and his clubs rate highest ? Sort of loses any integrity ? 52's are the closest to any MX model.

Thats a good point. I guess its a matter of opinion whether he makes his clubs to fit his standard or he makes his standard to fit his clubs.

either way, his measure rates the shovels of Ping and Callaway the highest, so is it just a coincidence that both are the best selling irons of all time?

The OEM's also welcome his method and voluntarily send their clubs to him for testing.

Oldplayer
21st September 2010, 07:11 PM
I recently have been playing the Mizuno MX 300. Pretty forgiving for a club that sets up like a players cb. They are forged as well with that trademark Mizuno feel.

IanO
21st September 2010, 07:51 PM
The OEM's also welcome his method and voluntarily send their clubs to him for testing.

Where do the Titleist AP2's come in the scheme of things?

Flavzz
21st September 2010, 10:02 PM
AP2s are rated at 548 on the Mpf scale as 'conventional' which is in between game improvement and classic.

Chris32
22nd September 2010, 09:37 AM
Trawling through all the Maltby stuff last night thinking about the S58 v S59, as the S59 is rated at 660 vs the S58 at 778

I think the data might be a bit flawed, as the measurements were done on a 5 iron on the S59 and a 6 iron on the S58. Surely this would make a difference to the measurements as its not a direct comparison?

Pieface
22nd September 2010, 10:34 AM
You would probably need to buy his book to work that out Chris. I can only imagine that there is some sort of sytem to take into account the loft of the club head and give a standardised MPF result.

dave1
22nd September 2010, 11:50 AM
srixon 1-701 's.....

forged heads..lovely to play with Im off 7 and used them but a mate who is off 15 uses them.....now using mizzies though

anika sorenstan used them for a long time (not the tour model either)

they are great irons and ebay is good value.....srixon I have never seen a fake srixon yet either just in case people are wondering

awesome irons

macjackass
22nd September 2010, 12:02 PM
srixon 1-701 's.....

forged heads..lovely to play with Im off 7 and used them but a mate who is off 15 uses them.....now using mizzies though

they are great irons and ebay is good value.....srixon I have never seen a fake srixon yet either just in case people are wondering

awesome irons

I thought she played callaways :-s

3oneday
22nd September 2010, 12:07 PM
Maybe after she retired :)

Chris32
22nd September 2010, 03:31 PM
Went down to the local shop and hit the S58's and S59's, the S58's did feel a bit better, but it was only in the nets

razaar
22nd September 2010, 04:05 PM
Sorenstan was a Callaway staffer, Webb plays Srixon. Lift your game dave1.;)

3oneday
22nd September 2010, 04:07 PM
yeah, one was a dyke and one was a spunk !

razaar
22nd September 2010, 04:08 PM
spunk or butterface?

macjackass
22nd September 2010, 04:12 PM
yeah, one was a dyke and one was a spunk !

Geez, you'll get shot down by the WAnkers who don't rate Rebecca Twigley for saying she's a spunk.

razaar
22nd September 2010, 05:09 PM
srixon 1-701 's.....

awesome irons
I saw some that are similar somewhere...now I remember...it was here, they had tourfit on them.;)

markTHEblake
22nd September 2010, 08:57 PM
I think the data might be a bit flawed, as the measurements were done on a 5 iron on the S59 and a 6 iron on the S58. Surely this would make a difference to the measurements as its not a direct comparison?

Ihad wondered about that too, and I remember reading about this on his forum, part of the explanation was that he can only test what the OEM's send. Apart from that all i remember is that there is next to no difference in the data collected.

dave1
23rd September 2010, 01:11 AM

I think at the end she did...but most of her career she played srixon

Dotty
23rd September 2010, 07:07 AM
I think at the end she did...but most of her career she played srixon
I don't know about her early career, but Sorenstam has been playing Callaway gear since 1993.

http://www.golfgearreview.com/article-display/1417.html

And plenty of Google hits for 'Sorenstam X-14'.

Captain Nemo
23rd September 2010, 08:12 AM
No, callys for a long time!

KristianJ
23rd September 2010, 08:41 AM
Still sitting in the office. Still waiting to be hit.

I keep on reading this post and thinking you're talking about a hot young secretary, Haysey.

dave1
23rd September 2010, 11:52 AM
I don't know about her early career, but Sorenstam has been playing Callaway gear since 1993.

http://www.golfgearreview.com/article-display/1417.html

And plenty of Google hits for 'Sorenstam X-14'.

yes my bad...sorry...oops it was actually karrie Webb......who used srixon 1-701's

they are kinda the same...ermm :razz::razz:.....um i will go quietly now ..LOL

Captain Nemo
23rd September 2010, 12:10 PM
LOL, no they are quite different!
Ones married with a kid the other........

goonie
25th September 2010, 12:47 AM
I had a set of S58's, one of the harshest feeling irons on off center strikes I've hit, and just a harsh feeling in general from memory, and truck loads of offset like all pings that I've seen.