PDA

View Full Version : NSW: NSW Matchplay 1st Round - Grunt V Terrys

Grunt
25th January 2010, 09:56 AM
The NSW 2010 Matchplay Champs kick off this weekend with the 1st round Match of the Hackers this Sunday @ Highlands GC.

Grunt - off 18 and playing like a 36 marker. Will he sloce or hook? Or do hte unknown and hit it straight?

V

Terrys - the relative OzGolf newcomer off 20, Mt Broughton member could mean that 20 h'cap is closer to 15 ;)

Should be a good match

NSW OzGolf Matchplay guru Jim will be in attendance too

Grunt
31st January 2010, 04:47 PM
Well what a thriller this match was no lead of higher that 1 hole by either player until the 18th Hole. All square at 10 and square once again at the 16th tee.

I got up in the end with back to back pars on 17 & 18 to win 2 up

Thanks for the game Terry.

ParMaster
31st January 2010, 04:53 PM
Slightly good win Grant. Commiserations terry. :)

KristianJ
31st January 2010, 04:54 PM
What Pup said...:) Better than a blowout any day.

Grunt
31st January 2010, 04:56 PM
Great win Grant. Commiserations terry. :)

Great maybe be a little too nice. Possibly a good win, but was a pretty scrappy day of golf on my part.

ParMaster
31st January 2010, 05:17 PM
Correction made. :)

KristianJ
31st January 2010, 05:21 PM
Cheeky bastard! :lol:

Pup, gotta get in touch with you and find out your school timetable so we can get our match organised and start a lame pre-match war of words.

wazandnic
31st January 2010, 07:31 PM
Nice win there Grunt. Having played with Terry a few times in the past you must have played well. ;) Definitely would be a lower handicap if he played elsewhere.

Bad luck Terry... I really thought you would have the goods to go all the way in the Matchplay?! But I guess you can't take it out in your first year hey ;)

jimandr
31st January 2010, 07:59 PM
I was there and I saw the game. Definitely all the highs and lows of matchplay were displayed.

Both players have a similar game, capable of glorious shots and occasionally playing one, but also capable of awful shots at the most inconvenient times.

For me, the highlight was the shortish downhill par 4 16th, where the game was all square. Grunt, with the honour, hit a terrible fat skyer about 130m into the left trees. Almost dead. In reply, Terry hit a dead pull hook into the deepest trees only about 50m from the tee, but he had a shot for recovery. Terry hit an ok shot, but too far, and it went under a tree off the fairway on the right. Grunt had to try and shape a shot through the trees, and cold topped it about 25m further left. Grunt's next was almost the greatest recovery ever, but just caught the greenside bunker. From under his tree, Terry used his driver to chip out low, but only got it to about 30m short.

From there, Terry chipped to the front middle of the green, about 25ft from the hole. Grunt had a poor lie in the bunker, and did well to get it out to the back of the green, about 30ft away. Grunt left his first putt short, missed the next, and was in for 7. Terry, knowing he had two putts to win, left his first putt 5ft short, missed it, so the hole was squared with 3 putt triples!

However, on the 17th Grunt hit a fabbo 4 iron to 5 feet for a win, then held the edge of the 18th green and got up and down for par to edge out Terry (who made a brilliant up/down from the drop zone for bogey).

This was the sort of matchplay excitement that will bring the crowds back.

Dotty
31st January 2010, 08:09 PM
How does it compare to Allenby and Ogle, Aus Open, Royal Sydney, 1994 ?

terrys
3rd February 2010, 09:10 PM
Grant and I both played rubbish golf, but he played less rubbish than me! I missed 6 putts under 6 feet so that was my downfall. It was heaps of fun though and was full of some hilarious moments.

I think it was 11 where I was playing 3 and was 50m behind the tee! Makes that uphill par 4 pretty long! Thought I'd try and go up the right hand side to try and cut the dogleg a little, and pushed it right off the tree. Collected a tree dead centre about 50 m in front of the tee, and the ball rocketed straight back behind the tee about 50 m. I had the shits so thought i would hit the next one as hard as i could, but all i did was manage to catch the top of the ball, drive it into the ground, and have it spin back out of the hole another 12 feet or so behind me. Hilarious!

Iit was great to meet Grant and Jim and now i have some more playing partners in Sydney.

Grunt
3rd February 2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks again for the game Terry. Will certainly have more.

Grunt
13th May 2010, 05:26 PM
Terrys & Jim What did you guys have as a score?

I seem to remember you won the day Jim and I beat Terry by a shot. I had 27

terrys
13th May 2010, 07:22 PM
Can't remember, Grant. Wasn't it 28 and 27? I had 45 at Mt Broughton today in a gale wind though!!!!!

Grunt
13th May 2010, 07:29 PM
Nice work

I forgot i had a separate thread for the Highlands game and Choppa has added that.

jimandr
13th May 2010, 08:47 PM
I had 32 points that day.

wazandnic
13th May 2010, 08:58 PM
..... I had 45 at Mt Broughton today in a gale wind though!!!!!

Now there's a round of golf! Good shooting.

That may have knocked the handicap around Terry?