PDA

View Full Version : WA: Hartfield 9 holes @ 6am - Fri 29th

simmsy
25th January 2010, 12:40 AM
Me, JC & IDG are having a hit at Hartfield on Friday morning at 6am, just playing 9 holes.

If anyone wants to make up the 4th put your name down here.

simmsy
JC
IDG
Adlo

adlo
25th January 2010, 04:11 AM
Wanna give me a wake up call simmsy?

simmsy
25th January 2010, 10:07 AM
:lol::lol:

that's funny. But yeah sure I will give you a call mate.
What time would you like your wake up call sir?

adlo
25th January 2010, 04:21 PM
Just before you bring me my breakfast......

Throw my name in this thing.

simmsy
25th January 2010, 04:25 PM
done.

$20 skins on the 1st hole?

Yossarian
25th January 2010, 04:28 PM
That is very early to be playing golf...

Johnny Canuck
25th January 2010, 04:31 PM
done.

$20 skins on the 1st hole?
I'm in.

adlo
25th January 2010, 04:39 PM
At that time of the morning I'll let the two of you battle it out for the $$

simmsy
25th January 2010, 06:01 PM
looks like we'll be turning on the weather for our guest from KB!

windy morning forecast, usually means 60km/h+ heading up the 1st at Hartfield, looking straight into the rising sun too.

you lads wanna play front or back?

Adlo, IDG what you prefer?

adlo
25th January 2010, 06:04 PM
I think the back is better. It might be because I don't really like #4 or the tee on #5. Can't think of any other reasons.

simmsy
25th January 2010, 06:06 PM
ok done.

JC $50 is yours if you stick the green with your tee shot on 10.

Johnny Canuck
25th January 2010, 06:59 PM
ok done.

JC $50 is yours if you stick the green with your tee shot on 10.

Deal.

Is it a par 3?

Yossarian
25th January 2010, 07:00 PM
Dogleg par 4. Big dogleg to.

MegaWatty
25th January 2010, 07:41 PM
With trees protecting. Tall trees.

I'd suggest they let you have a 50 dollar ball so you get to play the hole how you think you should.

Johnny Canuck
25th January 2010, 07:43 PM
deal. not being the highest ball hitter, it may not be possible. i'll give it a try for fun.

adlo
25th January 2010, 07:44 PM
you'd have to hit 3 wood JC, I doubt you will hit driver high enough.

I am still happy to play @ $20.

Veefore
25th January 2010, 07:46 PM
Even Fos and Ninyette can't stick the green on that hole. It would need to be nearly 300m of carry requiring the ball to be falling almost straight down at the end. The big hitters put it in the fairway about 30-40m in front of the green.

MegaWatty
25th January 2010, 07:48 PM
What do they normally hit there Veefore? Driver or 3 wood?

Have you ever seen what Paul Chappel hits there? This is the benefit of playing with these guys. You get to learn so many new lines.

Veefore
25th January 2010, 08:24 PM
Chappy usually tees the driver up real high and launches it over the corner. He has been doing it for a while and knows the line he needs to take depending on the weather, how he is hitting it etc.

Most of the better players I have seen who hit it a decent distance only very occasionally take on the corner with a driver. They usually use an iron, as a well placed iron, especially with a little fade, leaves them only about 110-120m from the middle of the green.

7, 16, 17 are the holes where the big hitters go at the green. The biggest hitters use 3wood on the 16th. Foster put it on the green 6 rounds in a row during the WA Amateur a couple of years ago.

MegaWatty
25th January 2010, 08:28 PM
I played a driver off 10 in the Ambrose day and got it into good position, and I'm normally trying a hybrid fade to that same 110m spot each week. You can let it land in the rough and it will bounce through onto the fairway. Winter's not so easy for that though.

Never seen anyone go for the other 3. I'll have to check the lines. I did hit a pulled driver on 7 that I thought was dead a few weeks back and found it about 60m out and on the fairway. Some of those trees that they are carrying are pretty tall on those holes!

Veefore
25th January 2010, 08:36 PM
I was amazed at Fosters way to play 7. He hits it over the corner and it generally lands somewhere in the sort-of cleared area in the trees on the left side of the fairway. From there, it is a 30-40m chip out onto the green. Ninyette was the one who I know drove the green, nearly killing Paul Chappell who was putting out, in the process.
I have seen lots of players drive 16. I saw Li Canty do it last week. 17 is one that only the biggest hitters can get onto the green. The line from the tee is left of the first pine tree near the ladies tee, not the pine tree on the corner.

MegaWatty
25th January 2010, 08:40 PM
I just jumped on to Google Earth to check the distances. Both 7 and 16 are 290m carries and 17 is 310m.

Whilst we've got you and your Hartfield knowledge, what's with the last 80m of the 9th being cooch and not kike? It really lets the hole down.

adlo
25th January 2010, 08:43 PM
I just jumped on to Google Earth to check the distances. Both 7 and 16 are 290m carries and 17 is 310m.

Whilst we've got you and your Hartfield knowledge, what's with the last 80m of the 9th being cooch and not kike? It really lets the hole down.

I agree. Why not make the remaining 6100m cooch?

MegaWatty
25th January 2010, 08:45 PM
Be too easy then!

Veefore
25th January 2010, 08:49 PM

I don't know for certain, but I believe it was a result of needing an easy turf to get the hole back into play as soon as possible after that area was completely rebuilt a couple of years ago. The Kikuyu will eventually take over and replace the couch.

Veefore
25th January 2010, 08:55 PM
I agree. Why not make the remaining 6100m cooch?

Budget.

The course was originally built by members after moving down from Kalamunda. They worked with what they had back then.

The type of grass used on the fairways seems to only be a problem to some people over the last few years. Before that, people accepted that different grasses and sand types went along with different layouts and clubhouses wherever they went. They considered learning to play the different surfaces an integral skill of the game.

I've never heard a good golfer complain about the type of grass they were playing off. (only NUFFIE!)

simmsy
25th January 2010, 08:55 PM
i wish they would start sewing the kike through it or something then.

Veefore
25th January 2010, 09:04 PM
I may be in the minority, but I like it there.

It gives me a different reaction when I play shots off it. I can certainly get more spin if I need it and have to remember it and play it differently if I am playing a shot that I want to run out.

It's even possible to putt across it. I saw a 5 handicapper putt from 30m short of the green and put the ball to less than 2m and make the birdie.

simmsy
25th January 2010, 09:16 PM
yeah obviously you are required to be playing different types of shots from it but it goes completely against the rest of the course, it's asking you to play a shot that has no place being played on Hartfield.

its not too far from saying that it would be ok for the 9th green to be sand, just so you have to putt differently. imo.;)

Veefore
25th January 2010, 11:24 PM
Fair enough. I guess I just got so used to it that I didn't really notice it being so out of place anymore.

MegaWatty
25th January 2010, 11:57 PM
Still love the place. I can't wait to get out there every Thursday morning.

:smt060

Johnny Canuck
26th January 2010, 12:36 AM
This place is starting to sound a little mickey mouse.

I'm scared.

MegaWatty
26th January 2010, 12:38 AM
??? What of?

Joondalup is Mickey Mouse. This is Hartfield baby!

Johnny Canuck
26th January 2010, 12:43 AM
Different types of grass. Trees blocking fairways. Black boys serving no purpose. Woodchips. Yoss able to score 42 points. Devilish bunker faces. Bunkers with no sand.

I hope it is all lies. I really want to like this course as I could be joining.

MegaWatty
26th January 2010, 12:45 AM
Hey, it was good enough for Scott Strange and Rick Kulacz.

Yossarian
26th January 2010, 12:49 AM
Who tagged this get a life?

Don't be knocking my 42 points.

MegaWatty
26th January 2010, 12:52 AM
Get a life tag is good. I might go and get one.

simmsy
26th January 2010, 12:53 AM
it probably has got its little differences, but hey most courses do. I think Hartfield probably gets it highlighted on here a little more because there is a number of guys on here that are members and Adlo and Yoss are sh!t stirring little muppets.

Challenging course JC especially when it's set up for it big comps.

"if you can hit the ball straight it is an easy course"
quote of 2010.

Veefore
26th January 2010, 09:43 AM
The thing with Hartfield is it tends to breed good ball strikers. Players who can tame Hartfield can tame anywhere. But struggle with your driver and you are going to pay the price in extra shots.

I have always believed that the course plays differently depending on the players ability level. It is an easy course to get around playing bogie golf. This often misleads higher handicap players who happen to have a good day their first time out. I have heard countless times from first time visitors how easy the course is, only to hear they had 25 points their next time out.

For the better golfer though, the course provides a greater challenge. Pars are harder to get and getting up & down to save a par usually requires more than a standard chip and run or pitch from a fairway-type lie. You need to be imaginative and have a more versatile short game if you want to score there.

Most of the real complaints I have read about it are fairly petty and none have said that they would not play the course again because of them.

On the other hand, Adlo and Yoss are shit stirrers and that is fine. Its all fun, but I think Yoss might be in for a reality check shortly.

Some players who learned their game at Hartfield:

Scott Strange
Rick Kulacz
Michael Foster
Brady Lord
Michael Dennis
Ross Woolf
Brad Park
Steve Gibbs
Helen Beatty
Erica Maxwell

there is a few state champions, one national champion (and championship runner up)and two current Tour Pros.

Hartfield is also one of (often THE) best conditioned courses in WA.

idgolfguy
26th January 2010, 12:06 PM
Hartfield is also one of (often THE) best conditioned courses in WA.

I'm in agreement with this.

MegaWatty
26th January 2010, 12:24 PM
IDs favourite greens if I remember rightly?

idgolfguy
26th January 2010, 12:57 PM
Yes that is right. Will see how the new putter setup stands up. I have always enjoyed Hartfield greens - hence my rounds were always close to handicap.

adlo
29th January 2010, 02:01 PM
idgg, your putting was very solid today. I think the changes are a step in the right direction.

Thanks for the hit this morning gents. As hard as it is to tee of that early, you can't beat the feeling playing golf when the course is so quiet early in the morning.

simmsy, thanks for the good value *cough* round. Way to come through for the wins on 12, 15 and 18. Thats cool mate, I'll do all the leg work making halves off the stick against JC and you take the glory!

I suppose it hurt JC and id a lot less handing over the $$ after such a cheap *cough* round of golf.

I was disappointed we couldn't finish 16. I had 4 pars and 4 bogeys, I could have had a tidy 20-22 points depending on how I went on that approach. And, that was the first decent tee shot I have ever put down 16, so I was a bit annoyed!

Johnny Canuck
29th January 2010, 02:04 PM
simmsy didn't win 18, it was a half.

id's putting was better, but he could use a little more aggression, which will come as the confidence builds.

Veefore
29th January 2010, 02:06 PM
So I take it this won't be counting against your 6 rounds as a visitor? ;)

adlo
29th January 2010, 02:07 PM
Ah good point, forgot about that. Still, it was a great putt for a half.

3 OzGolf days on the trot I have walked away with the cash in pairs BB. See how long the trend can continue.

Veefore: no, not at all.

Veefore
29th January 2010, 02:08 PM
simmsy didn't win 18, it was a half.

id's putting was better, but he could use a little more aggression, which will come as the confidence builds.

We await your review of the course with baited breath. :lol:

adlo
29th January 2010, 02:09 PM
It's in the thread jackers thread!

Yossarian
29th January 2010, 02:09 PM
We await your review of the course with baited breath. :lol:

Hartfield. I’ll need to play it again and the full 18. Played the back. Mixed feelings.

Hole by hole review:

10– Ok. Smallest fairway that I have ever seen.

11- Strong hole. Really liked this one
12- Nice, short par 3. 1st dickhead greenkeeper of the day told us to hit off the markers, which were up by the reds. We had been playing tips. (I know he’s just doing his job)

13- Dumb tee shot. Unless you can shape the ball right to left, you have next to no landing area. I played it almost from the fairway right of 13 as my high draw turned into a high slice. Liked the approach shot. Dickhead greenskeeper from the previous hole watch me putt out and then decided it was a perfect time to start his chainsaw and start cutting a fallen branch right as Aldo was putting.

14- Awesome hole. Nice green to hit into.

15- Solid par 3. Simmsy said the green gets insanely fast and can be a bit of a joke.

16- Meh. Hit a cut 4 iron off the tee into a bit of a breeze and still went into the water long. While we were waiting to hit, a greenskeeper drove by, so we waited for him to pass. We then watched him go to the green, take out the flag and start cutting. We were about 110m away. A second greenskeeper then drove up and told us they had to spray and water, so we would have a big wait if we wanted to play the rest of the Mickey Mouse hole.

17- Meh. Nothing special. Looks like it was taken straight off of Yokine. I think they have the same hole. Nice greenskeeper pulled off to the side so that ID could hit a fantastic greenside shot.

18- Loved the larger fairway and bending par 5 to finish. Nice, tiny, kidney-shaped green. Took a bird and left happy.

Simmsy had a chat to the pro, who didn’t charge us due to us having to skip a hole.

I’ll definitely come back for a full 18, probably in a Sunday comp.

I had one shot off the woodchips beside the green and had to use a 4 hybrid, which worked ok.

A few tee shots that I didn’t like, as well as a few forced club downs with no real options or incentives to hit more club. I’d realistically have to hit a 6 iron on 16 to be safe. There is no point in cutting the corner with the bunkers waiting.

I really liked 11, 14, 18 and the par 3s were good.

8)

Veefore
29th January 2010, 02:11 PM
3 OzGolf days on the trot I have walked away with the cash in pairs BB. See how long the trend can continue.

You just need to keep getting lucky with the right partners.:lol:

adlo
29th January 2010, 02:13 PM
I have been the rock all 3 times.

Yossarian
29th January 2010, 02:14 PM

:smt108

adlo
29th January 2010, 02:21 PM
Me & simmsy, me & veefore and me & bergsey.

If you are still living in the glory of your day out around Hartfield months back, it's time to find a new life.

Johnny Canuck
29th January 2010, 02:22 PM

:smt108

http://maxpages.com/files/wwfrockbottom/Rocks%20Eyebrow.jpg

Yossarian
29th January 2010, 02:23 PM
Simmsy and I, Veefore and I and Bergesy and I.

If you are still living in the glory of your day out around Hartfield months back, it's time to find a new life.

:lol:

It is all I've got. I might go chop up Pt Walter to relive that glory.

JC that is awesome!

Johnny Canuck
29th January 2010, 02:26 PM
:lol:

It is all I've got. I might go chop up Pt Walter to relive that glory.

JC that is awesome!

All it needs is a plus and equal sign. Glad you caught it.

adlo
29th January 2010, 02:28 PM
JC, that is absolute gold!!

Johnny Canuck
29th January 2010, 02:31 PM
I'm glad there are a few former wrestling fans that can appreciate the genius that is "The People's Eyebrow".

I couldn't believe when I saw your post and Yoss' emotion, it was like 7-7-7 on a slot machine.

idgolfguy
29th January 2010, 08:23 PM
We'll see how we go at Lakelands! Tourfit and Nuffie - we may have to load the team selection a little.