PDA

View Full Version : Tungsten tip weight stuck in hosel...

TheNuclearOne
22nd January 2010, 11:54 PM
She's obviously not getting drilled out. Stuck right at the bottom of a driver hosel. I've soaked in metho and shellite, pointy nose pliers fail to grab it by a smidgeon and a decent set of tweezers don't have the grunt.

Last thing i can think of is maybe using the tweezers with shellite or Metho in there as well or maybe put a bit of heat (sure don't want to ruin any paint tho) on it and again, tweezer the sucker. Far from confident tho.

Hmmmmmmm......

Yossarian
23rd January 2010, 12:05 AM
Go hit some shanks to loosen it?

razaar
23rd January 2010, 12:17 AM
Have you tried compressed air with the hosel upside down and tapping it?

TheNuclearOne
23rd January 2010, 12:19 AM
Go hit some shanks to loosen it?

Haven't shanked a driver yet, but there's always the chance now you've mentioned it!

:evil:

zigwah
23rd January 2010, 12:20 AM
melt it?

TheNuclearOne
23rd January 2010, 12:20 AM
Have you tried compressed air with the hosel upside down and tapping it?

She's a lot lot more stuck than that unfortunately. Just tried turning a drill down beside it until stuck then pulling both out together. I got a lot of force on it but still no go. Then did the same after hammering some heat directly down the hosel. Still no good. Damn. This is getting bigger than Ben Hur.

TheNuclearOne
23rd January 2010, 12:21 AM
melt it?

Tungsten? I'd like to have a head left :shock:

razaar
23rd January 2010, 12:35 AM
Hmnnn...maybe it has some epoxy on it. Have you considered holding the tip of a red hot drill bit against the weight and tapping the hosel with metal wrapped in a hanky.

adlo
23rd January 2010, 01:32 AM
I know TourFit is away for the weekend, otherwise I know he would have piped in by now.

Minor_Threat
23rd January 2010, 05:52 AM
Sounds like some epoxy is stuck to it.

Can you use a propoane / butane torch and make a screwdriver red hot and put that against the stuck piece.

Simlar to razaar suggestion I suppose.

Daggs
23rd January 2010, 08:15 AM
Dosnt heat expand metal it will only make it tighter ?

Blast it with some gas or chuck it in the freezer (if cold contracts it)...BUT dont drop it :-) (sounds good in theory)

Can you make a hook with something if you can get under or around it ?

virge666
23rd January 2010, 09:57 AM
Heat up the hosel - NOT from the top - as you normally would.

Then just drill the bastard out. The tungsten tip is in a little crooked and it has jammed. Heat the hosel and the drill will rip it out.

Otherwise - get a smaller drill and keep drilling from smal till large until it gives way.

Persistance will win in the end - just keep the actual head cool with water or a wet cloth.

moree golfer
23rd January 2010, 02:22 PM
Heat up the hosel - NOT from the top - as you normally would.

Then just drill the bastard out. The tungsten tip is in a little crooked and it has jammed. Heat the hosel and the drill will rip it out.

Otherwise - get a smaller drill and keep drilling from smal till large until it gives way.

Persistance will win in the end - just keep the actual head cool with water or a wet cloth.
This man knows of what he speaks. I thought the same thing when reading the op as I used the same procedure with a tip weight stuck in an iron head once, although I didn't worry about the wet cloth. With a driver head the wet cloth is important though!

3oneday
23rd January 2010, 03:19 PM
It's tungsten, what sort of drill bit do you propose will get that out so simply ?

It'd be easier to get on of Tigers mistresses onto the job ????

moree golfer
25th January 2010, 09:04 AM
How did you go getting the tip weight out TNO? Is it definitely tungsten?

virge666
25th January 2010, 09:40 AM
It's tungsten, what sort of drill bit do you propose will get that out so simply ?

Anything with some carbide in it will go through like butter.

TheNuclearOne
26th January 2010, 01:22 AM
How did you go getting the tip weight out TNO? Is it definitely tungsten?

Hey first of all thanks to everyone.

Secondly ferking terrible!

Just to add, the weight is such a snug fit in the bore i now know when jamming it to the side with a drill and trying to drag it out it is simply bedding into the bore with it's raised bottom frigging corner!

Deffo Tungsten. I've msg'd a mate in the US of A that's a brilliant club builder and if that don't work i might buy Virge's carbite drill.

MegaWatty
26th January 2010, 01:29 AM
Not the 9015D???

TheNuclearOne
26th January 2010, 01:32 AM
Not the 9015D???

No, 6D lol

TheNuclearOne
26th January 2010, 01:33 AM
Mega, tell me how the 9015D is going and please don't try a HMOI in it before other shafts :evil:

MegaWatty
26th January 2010, 01:53 AM
I'm not putting a HMOI in it. That was for my Mizuno. TF advised me to weight the head with some lead tape to get a better tempo on it. I added 5gm of tape, but I'm not sure if that's too much.

I have hit some absolute bombs with it, so hopefully the extra wright will help. Also going to try gripping down 1/2 an inch to pull back some control.

TheNuclearOne
26th January 2010, 02:04 AM
Good stuff. Putting a counter balanced shaft in a head you are struggling to control would have been adventurous to say the least.

Hang in there, i like your committment.

razaar
26th January 2010, 08:53 AM
Hey John, maybe a powerful vacuum cleaner may do it for you. Use a funnel into the hosel and the vacuum nozzle hard up against the inside of the funnel and tap the area where it it stuck to create vibrations.

3oneday
26th January 2010, 09:11 AM

Hey John, maybe a powerful vacuum cleaner may do it for you.
what I said ;)

TheNuclearOne
26th January 2010, 02:24 PM
what I said ;)

LMFAO!! Great job guys hahahahahaha

Ok, we have a winner!!!!!

A tinkerer in the USA said to spray some penetrating oil in there!! So i spray some in, sit it for 5, and after a few wriggles and slips with the tweezers out it comes :smt038

I will have to clean out the bore really well now and all is done.

Cheers everyone.

mike
26th January 2010, 03:23 PM
I've got a similar problem at work. I've got the tip of a glow plug stuck in a cylinder head. Just enough of it poking out to get pointy nose pliers on it but too tight to move.

I've got it soaking in penetrating oil atm and will attack it again tomorrow.

I hope I have the same luck as you.

TheNuclearOne
26th January 2010, 11:11 PM
Good luck Mike, let us know how it goes.

mike
26th January 2010, 11:36 PM
The customer is sweating on it. Could cost $100 or $1500, depending on tomorrow's outcome.

But who really gives a shit . This is a golf forum.

TheNuclearOne
27th January 2010, 12:45 AM
True, but golf is anything but 100% prominent in here hahaha.

mike
27th January 2010, 01:04 AM
Yep. If you wanna buy a phone, this is the place.

zigwah
27th January 2010, 01:29 AM
send the head to me, i will get it out no dramas

mike
27th January 2010, 01:36 AM
I think we can manage. Thanks anyway.