PDA

View Full Version : Tipped Shafts

GolfBallWhackerGuy
22nd January 2010, 07:52 AM
Gday,
Excuse my naivity, but what does it mean to have "tipped shafts"? Sometimes I see specs of clubs and they say "tipped 1 inch or 1.5inch" etc. How does this affect the performance/feel of the shaft? And is it applicable to woods as well as irons?
Cheers

goonie
22nd January 2010, 09:31 AM
tipping means the tip of the shaft has been trimmed to change/affect flex, sometimes it is normal for the shaft to be tipped, ie recommended by the shaft company, or to keep the correct flex when fitting a shaft to a heavier club like a 3 or 5 wood, or in irons a heavier/shorter club. Tipping can also change the flight of a shaft. example - a reg .370 iron shaft tipped to a stiff may have a lower flight then a X stiff shaft not tipped to a stiff flex.

check out the first chart on this link - http://www.kbsshafts.com/pdf/trimming_tour_parallel.pdf

virge666
22nd January 2010, 09:58 AM
Lastly - we don't TIP Taper tip shafts.... very important

(thought I would throw that in)

Ned
15th May 2010, 02:10 PM
Experimenting with a getting a 4 hybrid. Have an old head (Was going to score NK's Wishon but was given the eagle by the little so and so) and rather then waste dollars I have an old 3 wood shaft from a bore through Callaway (regular flex).

I want to tip it to 4 iron length but in a stiff flex or as close to as I can.

Possible or waste of time ?

If possible how much to I trim off the tip and butt ?

virge666
15th May 2010, 06:42 PM
Experimenting with a getting a 4 hybrid. Have an old head (Was going to score NK's Wishon but was given the eagle by the little so and so) and rather then waste dollars I have an old 3 wood shaft from a bore through Callaway (regular flex).

I want to tip it to 4 iron length but in a stiff flex or as close to as I can.

Possible or waste of time ?

If possible how much to I trim off the tip and butt ?

Waste of time mate - the shaft wont fit !

wrong hosel size,

wazandnic
15th May 2010, 10:13 PM
Virge,

Can you tip trim a shaft?

If you do how do generally get the swing weight back up?

Cheers,
Waz

Ned
16th May 2010, 12:22 AM
Waste of time mate - the shaft wont fit !

wrong hosel size,

It did in the Wishon!

TourFit
17th May 2010, 01:27 PM
That's because Wishon hybrids are UNLIKE most hybrids on the market and are .335 tip hosels !! (Most are .355 tapers or .370 parallel)

In theory, that means that they can take a wood shaft, but the trimming you would need to do is based on the hybrid headweight and then compared to an equivalent wood, and tip trim accordingly & play at a wood length.....however Wishon has his own .335 specialty hybrid shafts to use in his heads.