PDA

View Full Version : April 17th & 18th in the Hunter Valley......

Speirsy11
7th March 2005, 11:15 AM
Ok, so I think the NSW chapter needs a 36 hole classic up in the Hunter....

Who is interested in a 2 day classic at The Hunter on April 17 and 18? Late afternoon Saturday 18 at Cypress, early 18 at The Vintage Sunday.....Or is 36 too much? Only want the Vintage? Or just Cypress? If everyone can give me a basic idea by the end of the week, I'll get some times......If it helps, Cypress is MUCH easier the the Vintage......

Let me know if these dates work for everyone....

Rob

Fishman Dan
7th March 2005, 11:45 AM
VERY interested, but might be going to Melbourne that weekend, or the following.

Played yesterday with fellow Hunter trippers, and the next trip plans are being tossed up already. You might have just done the hard part for us.

amanda
7th March 2005, 01:22 PM
Damn! My stoopid cousin is getting married that weekend :( We wish we could be there :?

Jono
7th March 2005, 02:34 PM
Speirsy,

I think I am right for that weekend. If it's Sat and Sun, I think you mean April 16th and 17th. For me, I think 36 holes over 2 days is a bit too much, so I would prefer just to play The Vintage ... drive up and drive back down the same day ... perhaps a bit of wine tasting after the golf? :wink:

Speirsy11
7th March 2005, 05:21 PM
Speirsy,

I think I am right for that weekend. If it's Sat and Sun, I think you mean April 16th and 17th. For me, I think 36 holes over 2 days is a bit too much, so I would prefer just to play The Vintage ... drive up and drive back down the same day ... perhaps a bit of wine tasting after the golf? :wink:

That works for me too......Just trying to get 36 in so I can get some more OzGolf $$$

jimandr
7th March 2005, 08:53 PM
I'm a tentative yes at this stage, but I'd much prefer a one day excursion than an overnight stay (especially if Trung is anywhere within miles of us and with access to a mobile phone, from what I hear).

Sunday would be better than Saturday, but with some planning I could do either day.

Wouldn't matter to me which course we play.

JJJ
7th March 2005, 08:57 PM
Speirsy,

If you are going to the Hunter why wouldn't you play Newcastle? It's a mile better than Cypress and the Vintage.

JJ

terryand
7th March 2005, 08:57 PM
I'm a tentative yes at this stage, but I'd much prefer a one day excursion than an overnight stay (especially if Trung is anywhere within miles of us and with access to a mobile phone, from what I hear).

Sunday would be better than Saturday, but with some planning I could do either day.

Wouldn't matter to me which course we play.

Is he ever going to live this down :oops:

Guess not.....Long live the legend

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/respect.gif

Terry.

Speirsy11
7th March 2005, 09:16 PM
Speirsy,

If you are going to the Hunter why wouldn't you play Newcastle? It's a mile better than Cypress and the Vintage.

JJ

If you can get all of us on Newcastle, I'm in.......I love that course....But I doubt they want us just strolling up and wanting to play.......

Speirsy11

Trung
7th March 2005, 09:58 PM
Jim & Terry, :roll:

Grunt
8th March 2005, 09:27 AM
I could maybe do Sunday, finish nightshift saturday morning, so saturday would be a no go for me.

Jono
8th March 2005, 09:30 PM
So Sunday 17th April at Vintage seems to be the way to go? Should I put up a tentative list? BTW, how much do you think the green fee would be, Speirsy?

1. Speirsy
2. Jono
3. Jimandr?
4. Fishy?
5. Grunt

How about a late morning round (say around 10:30am), followed by a quick visit to the vinyards? My personal favourites are Scarborough and Audrey Wilkinson ... :D

Jono
8th March 2005, 09:32 PM
Damn! My stoopid cousin is getting married that weekend :( We wish we could be there :?

Is she getting married on Saturday or Sunday? You can still make it if the wedding's on Sat and we play on Sun ... probably with a big hangover though ... :wink:

amanda
9th March 2005, 08:40 AM

Is she getting married on Saturday or Sunday? You can still make it if the wedding's on Sat and we play on Sun ... probably with a big hangover though ... :wink:
Married on the Saturday - but that's an idea - how far is the drive to The Vintage? I think I'd be wasting my money on the golf (if one of us is sober enough to drive!)

Speirsy11
9th March 2005, 08:31 PM
I need a rough estimate on how many players we have before I get a $$$......At the end of this week, I'll get a better idea.

Rob

Trung
9th March 2005, 11:12 PM
If there are not enough people for The Vintage.

Can we do somewhere closer to Sydney?

Riverside Oaks?
Camden Lakeside?

or somewhere cheaper? Glenmore is a true test. I love that course :wink:

Jono
10th March 2005, 07:20 AM
Amanda,

It's about 1 hour from Hornsby. Up the freeway and take the Cessnock exit.

Trung,

We can do those places as well. I'm quite keen for Vintage. Played there once and scored miserably so I want to tackle it again ... :wink: Figure if we drove all the way to Shellharbour for a hack in the wind, we could drive to Hunter to play Vintage (which, IMO, is one of the best courses in NSW ... well ... out of the ones I've played anyway ... :lol: )

TS
10th March 2005, 09:34 AM
Glenmore is a true test. I love that course :wink:

Trung. Arrange a date for Glenmore and I will come.

TS

Fishman Dan
10th March 2005, 09:59 AM
If it's a quality course you want to play, then stick to Camden or Riverside. Camden Lakeside was in awesome condition last Sunday, and there weren't too many people playing either. If you want to go the whole hog for the Hunter, then lets take in a couple of premium courses and some wineries in the afternoon, and a decent place for dinner - make a weekend of it.

It's silly to go to the Hunter without making time to visit Peterson's, Briars Ridge and several randomly selected wineries.

It's 2 hours door-to-door - the Cessnock exit from the freeway is still 30-45 minutes from the Hunter region.

jimandr
10th March 2005, 10:10 PM
If it's on for Sunday 17th I'm in, even though it's my sister's birthday. She'll have another birthday next year, and we may never be motivated enough to play The Vintage again.

As a trade-off i'll have to look after her kids on the Saturday, so it's a one day only excursion for me.

Trung only wants to play Glenmore because he tore it apart for 42 points, including an eagle, on ultra-sandy greens, in our first ever Golf Day.

Trung
10th March 2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks Jim... Checked out what I found on ISG... :P

Trung chipped in twice for birdie, two super putts for birdie and then on the 17th a par 5, he hit a spectaculer driver, super 7 iron and then had a 30-35 foot putt for eagle. And he bombed it. Great display mate. must have been that big night and no sleep that helped you. 8O

I just couldnt get use to the greens, slow and sand, reminded me a bit like sandcorp stadium, just with a little less sand.

Just want to add that Jimandr shot on the last to win the nearest the pin was super. A par 3 150 up hill, water carry, huge crowd behind the green, pressure and he stuck it to about 4-5 foot, almost in. Won a nice book out of it.

Great to read :P

Speirsy11
11th March 2005, 08:24 AM
Ok, so it looks like 3 groups for Sunday the 17th?

I'll make a call and see whats up.......Thanks guys.

Speirsy11

Speirsy11
11th March 2005, 08:28 AM
1. Speirsy
2. Jono
3. Jimandr?
4. Fishy?
5. Grunt

Who else is 100% in for Sunday the 17th?

Thanks

Rob

Fishman Dan
11th March 2005, 09:11 AM
1. Speirsy
2. Jono
3. Jimandr?
4. Fishy - checking.
5. Grunt

Looking to go up Saturday, see wineries, stay overnight and have the round the following day. Perhaps a chance of golf Saturday - might even go somewhere 'tame' like The Oaks (Cessnock) is my wife wants to play.

TS
11th March 2005, 09:11 AM
1. Speirsy
2. Jono
3. Jimandr?
4. Fishy?
5. Grunt
6. TS

Speirsy11
11th March 2005, 03:24 PM
1. Speirsy
2. Jono
3. Jimandr?
4. Fishy - checking.
5. Grunt

Looking to go up Saturday, see wineries, stay overnight and have the round the following day. Perhaps a chance of golf Saturday - might even go somewhere 'tame' like The Oaks (Cessnock) is my wife wants to play.

Play Cypress. It's wide open, very user friendly, and I believe Cessnock is doing a bunch of renovations right now......

Fishman Dan
11th March 2005, 04:33 PM
The only thing is, Cessnock = $20 - $30, Cypress = $120 - $130 ;)

I don't think Anita will be too interested in playing a course that costs that much.

Actually, we've played 9 there before, and it was being sanded as we played, so anything else is a bonus!

By the way, we're in.

Trung
11th March 2005, 04:52 PM
What the heck, maybe I can take out one of my matchplay match over and done with early 8)

1. Speirsy
2. Jono
3. Jimandr
4. Fishy
5. Grunt
6. TS
7. Trung

TS
12th March 2005, 08:29 PM
Find out I am not available on Apr 17.

1. Speirsy
2. Jono
3. Jimandr
4. Fishy
5. Grunt
6. Trung

Speirsy11
15th March 2005, 09:09 PM
Find out I am not available on Apr 17.

1. Speirsy
2. Jono
3. Jimandr
4. Fishy
5. Grunt
6. Trung

So is this it? Amanda and Brad, are you guys in? I'll call tomorrow and get some $$$ figures.....

Speirsy

Jono
19th March 2005, 06:30 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but Terence was interested in playing some Ozgolf events:

1. Speirsy
2. Jono
3. Jimandr
4. Fishy
5. Grunt
6. Trung
7. Kwantfm

Speirsy11
21st March 2005, 10:40 AM
Ok Grunt...Looks like this is a perfect chance for us to play our 1st round match. Bring lots of balls, this is a tough track :wink:

I'm calling right now for times and prices.....I'll post asap.

Speirsy

Grunt
23rd March 2005, 11:34 PM
Have we got a price and times yet?

Might be an early start for us to get there.

Speirsy11
24th March 2005, 08:40 AM
Have we got a price and times yet?

Might be an early start for us to get there.

Nothing confirmed yet, the guy who is doing the pricing for us is seeing what he can do. I'm going to call him back this afternoon to see whats up. As for time, I was thinking 10am-ish so we can get done early enough to check out some vinyards on the way home......

I trust that works for everyone....

Speirsy

kwantfm
25th March 2005, 01:01 AM
I'm afraid that I won't be able to attend. My wife has booked up that weekend for us already.

Sorry,
Terence

Grunt
25th March 2005, 08:26 PM
Ok Grunt...Looks like this is a perfect chance for us to play our 1st round match. Bring lots of balls, this is a tough track :wink:

Speirsy

Could I request another course seeing as it is known as a tough course and being my first visit there I would rather play it as a learning experience than a mentally destructive one where by 9 it is all over and I dont have anything to remember it by other than the course Rob annihilated me at.

Speirsy11
25th March 2005, 08:31 PM

Speirsy

Could I request another course seeing as it is known as a tough course and being my first visit there I would rather play it as a learning experience than a mentally destructive one where by 9 it is all over and I dont have anything to remember it by other than the course Rob annihilated me at.

I'm happy to do that, but if we can't get a course lined up, we might have no choice.......Im sure we'll work soemthing out though....

Speirsy

Trung
25th March 2005, 08:34 PM

Speirsy

I think that is a fair call. Vintage is a tough track for any level of golf, it will be an impossible track for someone who is there the first time to focus on a matchplay match :shock: .

Jono was suggesting Bayview in a few week. Why don't we use that day to clear out a few matchplay games at the same time. We will have to take a few shots of Jono for being his home course if he chooses to play his match on that day :wink: .

As for Big AL, I want to hear from this phantom member :twisted: .

Speirsy11
25th March 2005, 08:40 PM

Speirsy

I think that is a fair call. Vintage is a tough track for any level of golf, it will be an impossible track for someone who is there the first time to focus on a matchplay match :shock: .

Jono was suggesting Bayview in a few week. Why don't we use that day to clear out a few matchplay games at the same time. We will have to take a few shots of Jono for being his home course if he chooses to play his match on that day :wink: .

As for Big AL, I want to hear from this phantom member :twisted: .

I'm happy to try and get it done, but I can't guarantee anything since I'm so busy at Uni. If we can get out another time before this, then great, but if this is the only time we can be at the same course at the same time, it's going to have to be it.......I know it's tough, but it's tough for everyone and I still have to give something like 20 strokes.....

Speirsy

Grunt
25th March 2005, 08:43 PM
Rob

As I am a shift worker Ihave a lot of days off thru the week so if that suits you maybe we could play the games then or even the bayview game that jono is thinking of.

I am off theses dates in April
1,4,8pm,9,10,11,17,18,19,20,25pm,26,28pm &29

The pm dates are where I have finished nightshift at 6am

Speirsy11
25th March 2005, 08:51 PM
Rob

As I am a shift worker Ihave a lot of days off thru the week so if that suits you maybe we could play the games then or even the bayview game that jono is thinking of.

I am off theses dates in April
1,4,8pm,9,10,11,17,18,19,20,25pm,26,28pm &29

The pm dates are where I have finished nightshift at 6am

SHould be fine then. I'll have some days off from the 18th for the following 2 weeks....We'll find something....

Speirsy

Jono
25th March 2005, 11:45 PM
Grunt and Speirsy,

How about Sunday April 10th at Bayview? I should be able to book 2 groups, but let me check.

Speirsy11
26th March 2005, 07:00 AM
Grunt and Speirsy,

How about Sunday April 10th at Bayview? I should be able to book 2 groups, but let me check.

No good for me, sorry. I'm playing in the Avondale Medal Vardon event and will have to work the Sunday to cover my Sat shift I'll be missing.

Speirsy